All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: The 'Come On Cheltenham' thread
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 14:57 

Come on, Cheltenham. You can do it.

Post subject: Re: The 'Come On Cheltenham' thread
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 15:55 

BENNET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!11!!1!

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 16:47 
Sleepyhead

Goatboy wrote:
BENNET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!11!!1!

I would avoid Myoptika this week if I were you...

;)

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 19:23 
WARK!

Well done Forest, it only took you t-h-r-e-e seasons. An achievement a club of your stature can be proud of, to be sure.

Love, a Notts County fan.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 21:27 
UltraMod

It's taking every fibre of my being not to delete this thread and come round Goatboy's house to kill him.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 0:52 

FFS, whatis it with County Fans? I'm yet to meet a Forest supporter who doesn't have affection for county and wish them well.

Oh, who cares, this is the first day I've been happy about football in at least a decade, I don't care what anyone else says or does.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:19 
BETEO voice of unreason

Goatboy wrote:
FFS, whatis it with County Fans? I'm yet to meet a Forest supporter who doesn't have affection for county and wish them well.

Oh, who cares, this is the first day I've been happy about football in at least a decade, I don't care what anyone else says or does.

Really? I live in Nottingham and most of the Forest lot hate County...

Townes.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:52 

Well, don't ever introduce me to the ones you know, then!

I dunno why anyone would have a problem... apart from some very stupid comments made by the chairman of County when Mr Clough retired, saying there's only room for one big club in Nottingham and two can't be successful at once (Forest got promoted, finished the following season on the same points as Man Utd and progressed to the UEFA quarter finals by the end of the season after, while County gently faded from view). I'd sooner have County in the same (preferable fairly lofty) division as Forest than Leicester, Sheffield Utd or any other rivals than D*rby, to be honest.

Plus - Jason Lee and Spencer - I shall love them always.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:46 
WARK!

Goatboy wrote:

Basically, we're the worst team in the history of teams, and it's made us bitter.

Hey, fancy having Jason Lee back? :p

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 13:58 

I'd have Lee back at the club in a heartbeat, though obviously not as a player these days... I was chuffed when he arrived and sorry when he left. Used to see him every Saturday at Sincil Bank when my childhood spends would not get me as far as Nottingham, let alone into the City Ground. Lincoln were exciting with him up front and although he came into a Forest team which skill wise was above his ability in many positions, he fitted in well and played some blinders, scoring against the likes of Liverpool and Newcastle and getting us points for Europe.

Also, despite the ribbings from TV 'personalities' he managed to get away with his 'spliff smoking' goal celebration at a time when Fowler's coke snorting celebration was national news :D

What do people think of Charlie, at season's end? Was his post-Megson surge at Forest's helm down to Frank Barlow and a change being as good as a holiday, or is he the man to rebuild the Pies and take them up?

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 14:53 
WARK!

I think we were hopeful that if nothing else, Charlie would unite the fans and allow us to press on after the disastrous re-appointment of Steve Thompson*NGamer-style footnote*, which threatened to tear the club apart. This just hasn't happened so far.

Unfortunately, it seems Barlow was the brains of the outfit. Performances have been outrageously dire, the style of play negative 'to da max' (no one scored less goals in the entire league), the tactics have been bizarre and his PR skills are non-existent. Thank god for Mansfield and Wrexham, because we deeply, deeply deserved to go down this season, and Charlie isn't blameless in that regard. He took us from 20th in October to the giddy heights of 21st, and that's not what you can call progress.

But at least it looks like the manager has the full support of our penniless chairman, and at least the fans are willing for him to succeed, so here's hoping. In his defence, he's managed to pull off some very impressive transfer coups (such as snatching Michael Johnson from under the nose of competition such as Sheffield Wednesday), he's had to deal with a lot of player dissent (the perpetrators of which should now gear themselves up for a life in the Blue Square), and his first six months weren't any worse than Sam Allardyce's first six months. And we know how that turned out, don't we?

*footnote* (Non-Nottingham-based readers, imagine if Steve MacLaren was re-appointed as England manager in 2020, having done nothing for the past ten years aside from getting, say, Fulham relegated from the Premiership, just because he was friends with higher-ups at the FA. That would be pretty comparable to what happened at Notts in 2006).

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 18:35 
BETEO voice of unreason

Goatboy wrote:
Well, don't ever introduce me to the ones you know, then!

I dunno why anyone would have a problem... apart from some very stupid comments made by the chairman of County when Mr Clough retired, saying there's only room for one big club in Nottingham and two can't be successful at once (Forest got promoted, finished the following season on the same points as Man Utd and progressed to the UEFA quarter finals by the end of the season after, while County gently faded from view). I'd sooner have County in the same (preferable fairly lofty) division as Forest than Leicester, Sheffield Utd or any other rivals than D*rby, to be honest.

Plus - Jason Lee and Spencer - I shall love them always.

I should add that these aren't really peopel I'd call friends, just aquaintances with chips on their shoulders 'cos Forest aren't still winning the European cup...

It's like with a lot of things, the majority are fine with it, but there's a few very vocal arseholes about. I get the same - I'm an Everton fan, and 95% of Liverpool fans are fine, even on the rare occasions we do better than them. But there's always a couple who want to spoil it for everyone.

Townes.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:37 

I'm assuming these chaps are all about fourty, as yu'd have to be to remember those heady days :D

Even the most vociferous of anti-doughty, anti-Calderwood, anti-everyhting these days 'supporter' of Forest have been out to celebrate. It all seems to be washed away by promotion. Then next season they whinge again. Best ignored.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 14:20 
BETEO voice of unreason

Goatboy wrote:
I'm assuming these chaps are all about fourty, as yu'd have to be to remember those heady days :D

Even the most vociferous of anti-doughty, anti-Calderwood, anti-everyhting these days 'supporter' of Forest have been out to celebrate. It all seems to be washed away by promotion. Then next season they whinge again. Best ignored.

Yep, it does seem to be the older ones that are worse. Not that there seem to be that many Forest fans under 40 these days...

Townes.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 14:41 
UltraMod

I'm not a County fan.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 18:01 

SteONorDar wrote:
Goatboy wrote:

Yep, it does seem to be the older ones that are worse. Not that there seem to be that many Forest fans under 40 these days...

There's a good many people on LTLF.co.uk who I look at and think 'you aren't old enough to remember the Frank Clark glory days'. Still they love Forest, which means it must be normal to do so.

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]