Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ] 
 Post subject: The death of ITV
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:49 
Skillmeister

In what could be one of the biggest-ever shake-ups of British television, the broadcaster will next week announce it is considering moving some of its content or channels to pay-TV networks.

Archie Norman and Adam Crozier, ITV's chairman and chief executive respectively, will tell the City that ITV can no longer survive solely on free-to-air advertising.

Daniel Kerven, an analyst at Bank of America Merrill Lynch, said putting ITV's channels on pay-TV platforms could double ITV's value, because it could charge Sky or Virgin Media a high premium to screen its channels.

I'd rather do without the shit torrent of a channel, thanks. Has anyone seen ITV2? US talkshows and a camera following haggard plastic cow Price around 24/7 with lingering closeups of her ghastly phizzog and equally repellant husband.

The one good thing I can say about the channel is that they've successfully fucked over that Avid Merrion prick with his shit gameshow being relegated there. Hopefully they can add a tombstone to Corden's career too.

Post subject: Re: The death of ITV
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:53 
Chinny chin chin

Adam Crozier is an epic cunt. He's the man who gave us Sven and fucked over the FA, he's the man who is responsible for your post arriving at 4pm and there being no second delivery or Saturday collections.

Although in the case of ITV I couldn't give a shit considering it's just a putrid stream of rubbish aimed at the mentally subnormal. When was the last "must watch" programme on ITV? Probably the Bill Bryson series about 10 fucking years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:55 
Excellent Member

Only thing I can recall watching on ITV of any flavour recently is Entourage, and I don't think they're showing the new series. So yeah, bye ITV, you won't be missed....
Who seriously would pay a sub to watch some putrid game show with Vermin Kay?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:02 
Excellent Member

I'd drill Jordan though?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:30 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

This isn't a major surprise I would have thought but how long till we have the "Coronation Street" channel.

The last thing I watched on ITV was Dancing on Ice... because.. erm... the missus likes it. Yeah, that'll do.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:15 
Skillmeister

The only thing I'm liable to watch is Harry Hill. The rest of it appears to be reality TV made by Simon and his bezzie slimy friends.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:19 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

How could I forget Harry Hill? Oh.. I feel so stupid... :facepalm:

Anyway, upon further thinking about this.. I'm all for it.

If it means I won't have a chance of catching that lying prick Piers Morgan or that talentless hack Amanda Holden then it can only be a good thing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 13:28 

chinnyhill10 wrote:
When was the last "must watch" programme on ITV? Probably the Bill Bryson series about 10 fucking years ago.

That was good, yes.

I don't think I've personally even watched anything on ITV in my recent past. Just the ITV branding is enough to dissuade me from looking at the channel listings these days. Which is a shame, as I once explained to my girlfriend that ITV used to be the BBC with adverts, more or less, i.e. it wasn't so downmarket and they actually produced half-decent problems. My favouritest kids' shows in them old days were mostly on ITV, for example.

This news makes me ponder the ultimate fate of Channel 4 too. Like ITV it has (post Big Brother) fallen a little downmarket, not as much as ITV mind, and has its own advertisement-related revenue black hole...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 14:19 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Celebrity Juice is, of course, brilliant.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 14:24 
Skillmeister

Is that the gameshow I mentioned hosted by dirty toilet paper eater Merrion prick?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 14:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Yup. But you don't watch it for him, obviously.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 14:27 
Skillmeister

Next time I see you I'm going to blank you and you're going to be dead upset and sitch.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 14:53 
Chinny chin chin

Anonymous X wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
When was the last "must watch" programme on ITV? Probably the Bill Bryson series about 10 fucking years ago.

That was good, yes.

I don't think I've personally even watched anything on ITV in my recent past. Just the ITV branding is enough to dissuade me from looking at the channel listings these days. Which is a shame, as I once explained to my girlfriend that ITV used to be the BBC with adverts, more or less, i.e. it wasn't so downmarket and they actually produced half-decent problems. My favouritest kids' shows in them old days were mostly on ITV, for example.

Yep, ITV used to be capable of churning out high quality stuff across all genres. Just look at the range of output from Thames for example:

http://www2.tv-ark.org.uk/itvlondon/tha ... smenu.html

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 15:06 
Skillmeister

There's nothing like The World at War being produced by them now. ITV documentaries = haggard plastic semi-human sitting on the chodbin.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 15:39 
SavyGamer

I don't watch it for free, but this is interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 15:40 
Chinny chin chin

Dimrill wrote:
There's nothing like The World at War being produced by them now. ITV documentaries = haggard plastic semi-human sitting on the chodbin.

The budget for the 26 episodes was approx £11.5 million in todays money and unheard of figure at the time and still very impressive today.

I can't see someone walking into any TV commissioners office these days and asking for that kind of money for 22 hours of documentary.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 15:43 
Peculiar, yet lovely

The day ITV is finally put out of its misery will be a day of much rejoicing. The only things I can think of on it that aren't utterly shit are Harry Hill and Doc Martin. I haven't watched Doc Martin for years anyway, so it could be shit by now, and Harry Hill could easily move elsewhere. Chances are that elsewhere wouldn't put tv burp on at such ridiculous times, either, so.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 15:54 
Worst

I completely forgot about the second post!

I like American Idol, but Cowell's leaving, so that might be the end of that one.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 17:53 
I forgot about this - how vain

I thought ITV's long term business plan was suing apple over their use of iTV.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 21:11 
Esoteric

throughsilver wrote:

I like American Idol, but Cowell's leaving, so that might be the end of that one.

He's setting up a U.S Xfactor. That's why he's left.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 21:21 
Hibernating Druid

Grim... wrote:
Celebrity Juice is, of course, brilliant.

Yeah, I like it.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 21:28 
Worst

JohnCoffey wrote:
throughsilver wrote:

He's setting up a U.S Xfactor. That's why he's left.

Aye, but I don't like the X Factor format. I've got used to the presentation of Idol now.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:08 

I cant remember watching anything on ITV1 in past 10 years. I tried to remember some decent programme from their past and then googled it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_in_Action

Seems ITV died sometime around 1998. Not sure when they decided to 'expand' to ITV2, 3 and 4 - which sometimes I watch if there's a decent late night (old) film on. ITV1 - not for a very long time though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:48 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

I only really watch TV online through the various catchup services now, but it's rather telling that ITV's is the only one I don't even bother checking. Even Channels 4 & 5 have some decent content here and there.

The last thing I watched on ITV was, if I recall, the TT.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 15:32 
Caution Live Bear.

We had a TV at work where the only channel we could only watch with any clarity was ITV, thanks to shit reception, so it was Jeremy Kyle in the morning break and 60 minute makeover in the afternoon, it was hell, though This Morning wasn't too bad. At home, only if Harry Hill's on will I bother tuning in to ITV, that and Primeval.

Back in the day I'd watch CITV (long hived off to its own channel), The Bill when it was just half hour episodes and gameshows like Wheel of Fortune. They did put out some shit programming then, but they normally had enough good programmes to block out all the dross.

Cue Man Oh Man.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 15:49 
Chinny chin chin

Bear or Bust wrote:
Cue Man Oh Man.

1996 was way after the decline started. The precise moment it all went wrong was the 1/1/93 when the likes of Thames stopped broadcasting and the entire ethos became about making profit, not making programmes. It's hard to underestimate how important the likes of Thames were to the network as a whole.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 22:32 
Chinny chin chin

31 years ago tommorrow (the 10th), ITV went off air for 10 weeks due to a technicians strike.

This is all that ITV transmitted for 10 weeks, barring the weekly engineering announcements from the IBA.

Apart from the stalwarts down at Channel TV on Jersey who stayed on-air because the finances were so tight a strike would have caused the company to go bust. With no network programming they had to fill the schedules themselves including an hour long local news show each night.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 22:39 
Goth

Nowadays that's considered to be too highbrow for ITV.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 23:00 
Unpossible!

I dunno. They're showing total recall. That's highbrow, right?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 23:10 
Noob as of 6/8/10

chinnyhill10 wrote:
31 years ago tommorrow (the 10th), ITV went off air for 10 weeks due to a technicians strike.

This is all that ITV transmitted for 10 weeks, barring the weekly engineering announcements from the IBA.

Shazbat! I remember that. They went on strike right in the middle of a series of Sapphire and Steel and iirc when the strike was over they didn't show the end of it. For that reason alone I would not mourn their demise.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 23:17 
Chinny chin chin

Warhead wrote:
Shazbat! I remember that. They went on strike right in the middle of a series of Sapphire and Steel and iirc when the strike was over they didn't show the end of it. For that reason alone I would not mourn their demise.

Ironically, when they came back on-air they had to use a national ITV identity on all stations run from Thames in London, which kind of foreshadows the ITV 1 identity used today. The reason was not all the regional stations were ready and everything was a mess, so they ran a national ITV service for a few days.

The "ITV"on the clock in the clip is covering over the words "Thames" and the announcer is Peter Marshall (I just know this stuff, OK?)

This is straight after ITV came back on-air

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 0:31 
Chinny chin chin

Ever wanted to be an ITV continuity announcer? In the 80's? In the South?

And now on TVS, Coast To Coast with Fred Dinenage and random female co-presenter of the week.

http://625.uk.com/tv_logos/flash/tvs_clock.asp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 0:37 
Hibernating Druid

Leonard Parkin! That's brought back some memories.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 0:48 
Noob as of 6/8/10

chinnyhill10 wrote:

Yep, ITV used to be capable of churning out high quality stuff across all genres. Just look at the range of output from Thames for example:

http://www2.tv-ark.org.uk/itvlondon/tha ... smenu.html

Some good stuff there - I still watch repeats of Minder and The Sweeney. Even though they're very dated, they're classics. And Rumpole was good too, even though the books were dire. I bought the omnibus and once I put it down I couldn't pick kit up again. The style was amateurish and so repetitive as to be positively irritating.

Never was a great fan of Widows. Or Van Der Valk. Barry Foster was rubbish.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:51 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Warhead wrote:

Strange , I should remember it but dont.

And I got the Sapphire and Steel boxset recently , and some bits on there are still scary even now (despite the crap special effects)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

chinnyhill10 wrote:

Apart from the stalwarts down at Channel TV on Jersey who stayed on-air because the finances were so tight a strike would have caused the company to go bust. With no network programming they had to fill the schedules themselves including an hour long local news show each night.

What's the story about the BBC, during (I think) WW2? Didn't they go off-air showing a cartoon or something then come back on air again years later in exactly the right place?
Or am I making that up?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:31 

Grim... wrote:
What's the story about the BBC, during (I think) WW2? Didn't they go off-air showing a cartoon or something then come back on air again years later in exactly the right place?
Or am I making that up?

That's the story. Transdiffusion suggests they showed the cartoon in its entirety before going off air. They did show it again when TV resumed in '46.

http://www.transdiffusion.org/emc/baird/tvoff.php

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]