Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: PSP game RMD
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 16:39 

I want some game suggestions for my shiny new PSP (£85, fact fans! But sold out too fast for me to get an entry into the Bargains thread). And I have a Pandora battery for it right on my desk here.

What games should I be looking out for, barring the usual emulation suspects? I have bought Locoroco and Ratceht and Clank. The following are the games in the GameRankings top 50 that caught my eye as possible things:

God of War
Disgaea
Final Fantasy Tactics
Burnout Legends
Patapon
Jeanne D'Arc
Metal Gear Solid
Daxter
Puzzle Quest
Crush

Any others I may want to put on my list? This isn't a list of "buy right now" games, just a list of games to keep my eye open for.

Post subject: Re: PSP game RMD
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 16:43 

Dominator is probably a better game than Legends imo.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 18:39 
Worst

Wipeout

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 18:48 
SavyGamer

Gunpey can be had for £2.99 (post in the bargains thread) and from what I've seen of it, it's a must buy at that price.

I would really like to get a PSP at some point, how easy is it to set up custom firmware? I no little to nothing about it...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 18:50 

LewieP wrote:
I would really like to get a PSP at some point, how easy is it to set up custom firmware? I no little to nothing about it...
I'll report back on that very topic in a few hours!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 19:14 
What-ho, chaps!

Gunpey is boring.
Metal Gear Acid is cool.
Crisis Core is also cool.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 19:38 

You'll want to make sure you are running firmware where you can clock it up to the safe maximum, then try the following. It isn't morally wrong to try before you buy on PSP gmes because so very, very many of them are shit, and most of the good ones are technically shit because of the controls.

The GTA pair (if you like GTA very much are very reasonable portable versions for your hols. Don't expect the same amount of control as usual though.)
Outrun Coast to Coast
Afterburner Black Falcon
Worms thingy (I've got the first one)
Pirates (It's Pirates)
Ridge Racer 2
Syphon Filter Dark something
LocoRoco
Gitaroo Man
Test Drive Unlimited if you loved the full version on 360.
Exit

Although to be honest just about everything is a mild disappointment. I'd sooner play DS games when out and about due to their nature and PSP titles tend to be sufficiently less great than their bigger brothers to really make me at all arsed. I'm glad to have mine, play a lot of Sheep In Space on it, but I so very often forget I own one, it is quite surprising.

I've got a 'special' copy of GTA:LCS if you need a lend for hax0rage.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 21:11 
What-ho, chaps!

I recommend you swap something for my PSP copy of Gitaroo Man Lives!.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:04 

Goatboy wrote:
Although to be honest just about everything is a mild disappointment. I'd sooner play DS games when out and about due to their nature and PSP titles tend to be sufficiently less great than their bigger brothers to really make me at all arsed.
I totally agree, I love my DS [1]; the PSP is more of a gadget than anything (plus I think £85 for a new Slim PSP was a bargain). Nevertheless, it does have quite a line now in quirky puzzlers (Crush, Exit, Echochome) and tactical RPGs (Disgaea, Jeanne D'Arc, Final Fantasy Tactics). Also, I'm commuting to my new job by train, so it'll get used quite a bit there, I think.

Quote:
I've got a 'special' copy of GTA:LCS if you need a lend for hax0rage.
I don't think I could use that anyway -- mine is a Slim that was running 3.71 out of the box. I borrowed a Pandora battery off a mate last night and it's now running 3.80-M33. I have an 8Gb memory stick coming in the post, once that arrives I can start digging into what this machine can do.

To answer LewisP's questions, flashing it was a doddle because I borrowed a kit (memory stick + Pandora) from a colleague. Put in memory stick, put in Pandora, push X, wait a few minutes. Remove Pandora, boot PSP, flash it from the copy of 3.80 on the memory stick, and I was done. I may buy a cheap 256Mb memory stick and a PSP1 battery off ebay and make my own Pandora battery for future reference.

[1] or I did before I lost it. Three months ago, whilst playing Zelda, one of the shoulder buttons packed in; annoyed that I would have to return it to Nintendo, I put it in its case (with a dozen DS games) and put it in A Safe Place. I haven't seen it since. It's in the house somewhere but I must have put it somewhere really stupid.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:48 
Goth

Ridge Racer 2 is the best racing game on PSP. Loco Roco is lovely. I've still not made my mind up about Patapon. Everybody's golf was fun to play too.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:57 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Goatboy wrote:
It isn't morally wrong to try before you buy on PSP gmes because so very, very many of them are shit

:blinks:

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]