Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1097 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Call of Duty : Black Ops
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 15:38 
It's just that it happened when I had a go on combat training that worried me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:00 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

More for "Itsallwater" after our conversation last night but might be useful to other people on here - stuff about pro perks

http://www.cod7blackops.com/perks/ and http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/Perks

To unlock pro perks you need to be using that perk and perform 3 'tasks' , these are usually 1 longish grindy thing , one shortish grindy thing and one 'special , and you dont need to do them in a single game (generally).

Probably the easiest example of this is the the one for Ghost Pro

Longish grindy thing : Shoot down 30 enemy killstreaks with any non-killstreak weapon.
So you cant use your sam turret , but you need to take down 30 enemy things (spy planes / choppers) - easier when you hit level 30 for the 2 shot rocket launcher but do-able before that - I always shot these down anyway for the points but it is something you need to work through

Shortish grindy thing : Kill 20 enemies while their Spy plane is active.
Basically this one will happen without you doing anything else - just running round killing enemies and it will pop.

Special : Destroy 1 Enemy Sentry Gun
This is one you need to work at because sentry guns are not widely used (tip is to select a sentry gun for your own kill streak and call it in close to the enemies so one can take it)

Once you have all of these , at the end of that match you'll be told you've unlocked the pro perk , you go to your classes and 'buy' the upgrade (you only need to buy it in one class and all are upgraded)
to check how far along you are go into your classes , select the perk and hit X to see how much more you have to do.

Just by having the perk selected some will pop for you pretty much without you doing anything else (for me that was Warlord - and i just needed to remember to knife a few people for lightweight to pop) , the only one i really 'work' on by playing a different game to pop each time is Marathon (you need to capture the enemies flag 15 times on CTF)

Perk Slot 1

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Lightweight | Lightweight Pro
Lightweight
Ability: Allows you to move faster, but how fast depends on the equipped weapons mobility. This should be used with a "run and gun" class due to the added speed.
Pro Ability: No falling damage.
To Unlock
* Escape death 5 times after being shot.
* Get 15 melee kills.
* Get 10 offense medals by killing enemies near their objectives.

Scavenger | Scavenger Pro
scavenger
Ability: Replenishes your ammunition and lethal grenades when you walk over blue scavenger bags that are dropped by dead players. This won't resupply launchers or equipment. Scavenger is very useful with weapons that run out of ammo quickly.
Pro Ability: Doubles your starting ammo with extra magazines. This also replenishes your tactical grenades.
* Resupply 150 times while using Scavenger.
* Get 5 Lethal Grenade kills with a resupplied grenade.
* Get a 5 killstreak without dying 5 times.

Ghost | Ghost Pro
Ghost
Ability: Ghost works pretty much like Cold Blooded from Modern Warfare 2. You are undetectable by the Spy Plane killstreak when you have this equipped. You show up on the radar if you fire a weapon that doesn't have a silencer.
Pro Ability: Undetectable by aircraft, infrared and sentries. Enemies won't see your name or a red crosshair when targeting you.
* Destroy 1 Enemy Sentry Gun.
* Shoot down 30 enemy killstreaks with any non-killstreak weapon.
* Kill 20 enemies while their Spy plane is active.

Flak Jacket | Flak Jacket Pro
Flak Jacket
Ability: Flak Jacket greatly reduces explosive damage and allows you to survive any indirect explosive attack. Explosive crossbow bolts are lethal if they get stuck on you and explode.
Pro Ability: Deflects fire damage and allows you to reset the fuse of a thrown grenade when you pick it up.
* Survive 10 explosions with the Flak Jacket perk.
* Throw back 5 enemy grenades.
* Plant or disarm 10 bombs in Demolition, Search and Destroy, or Sabotage.

Hardline | Hardline Pro
Hardline
Ability: Reduces the amount of kills required for any killstreak by one. For example, the Care Package normally requires 5 kills, but if you have Hardline equipped you only need 4 kills.
Pro Ability: Allows you to randomly choose another reward from a Care Package. When you open a Care Package, you can either take the reward or try again for something better.
For example, when selecting a Care Package and you get the Spy Plane killstreak reward, you get the following option: "Hold X for Spy Plane OR Double Tap to Try Again" (Xbox 360)
* Share 10 Care Packages with your Allies.
* Earn 7 killstreaks in one match using Hardline.
* Get 7 kills without dying in one match.

Perk Slot 2

Hardened | Hardened Pro
Hardened
Ability: Increases your weapons bullet penetration, but it doesn't increase bullet damage. This is pretty much like Deep Impact from Call of Duty 4 and FMJ weapon attachment from Modern Warfare 2.
Pro Ability: Your weapons do extra damage to aircraft and turrets. This also reduces flinch when you are shot by someone.
* Get 10 penetration kills.
* Shoot 200 bullets into helicopters.
* Destroy a piece of equipment through a wall.

Scout | Scout Pro
Scout
Ability: Enables you to hold your breath longer when steadying a weapons scope. Scout offers a significant advantage to sniper class weapons.
Pro Ability: Allows you to switch your weapon faster.
* Kill 50 enemies with your sidearm
* Get 30 Headshots
* Get 50 'One Shot, one Kill' kills.

Steady Aim | Steady Aim Pro
Steady Aim
Ability: Steady Aim increases a weapons hip fire accuracy and also reduces shotgun spread. This should be used with the Dual Wield attachment, since Dual Wield significantly reduces a weapons hip fire accuracy.
Pro Ability: When equipped, this enables you to aim faster after sprinting and recover faster from a knife lunge.
* Melee two enemies consecutively in 5 seconds.
* Kill 100 enemies after sprinting.
* Kill 150 enemies while hip firing.

Sleight of Hand | Sleight of Hand Pro
Sleight of Hand
Ability: Gives a faster reload time by reducing your weapons reload time in half. This is extremely useful with weapons that have long reload times, like shotguns and light machine guns.
Pro Ability: Allows you to aim down the sight ~50% faster than normal. This doesn't work with weapons that have scopes.
* Get 150 Kills when aiming down sights.
* Kill an enemy within 5 seconds of reloading 30 times.
* Reload and finish off the enemy you wounded 10 times.

Warlord | Warlord Pro
Warlord
Ability: This is the equivalent of Bling from Modern Warfare 2. Warlord allows you to put 2 attachments to your primary weapon. Stealth classes should use this since they can equip a silencer to remaining undetected and still reap the benefits of having a second attachment.
Pro Ability: You start with one extra lethal and tactical grenade, except smoke (WILLY PETE).
* 150 Kills using a gun with two attachments
* Get 10 Frag or Semtex Kills
* Get 1 Multi-kill with Frag or Semtex

Perk Slot 3

Tactical Mask | Tactical Mask Pro
Tactical Mask
Ability: Protects you against NOVA GAS.
Pro Ability: Tactical Mask Pro reduces the effects of flashbangs and concussion grenades, it also reveals the position of a flashed or stunned enemy.
Kill 20 enemies while they are affected by each of your: concussion grenades, flash grenades and Nova Gas.

Marathon | Marathon Pro
Marathon
Ability: This extends your sprint time, but it doesn't increase your speed.
Pro Ability: Gives you unlimited sprint.
* Sprint 26 Miles using Marathon.
* Get the First Blood Medal 10 times.
* In Capture the Flag, get the Flag Capture medal 15 times while using Marathon.

Ninja | Ninja Pro
Ability: Ninja allows you to walk, sprint and jump almost silently, therefore you can sneak behind enemies more easily. This is the equivalent of Dead Silence from Call of Duty 4.
Pro Ability: When you have this equipped enemies will be louder, it also makes you completely silent.
* Getting 150 suppressed weapons kills
* Earning 5 Backstabber Medals
* Planting the bomb 10 times in Search and Destroy, Demolition, or Sabotage.

Second Chance | Second Chance Pro
Second Chance
Ability: Gives you the ability to survive a normal death by dropping you to the ground. You can use your pistol to defend yourself from enemies. Second Chance ends after 10 seconds or if you take a single hit from the enemy, and in both cases, you will die.
Pro Ability: If you have Second Chance Pro equipped you can survive a little longer than normal. Teammates can also revive you - even players that don't have Second Chance. You can see a white REVIVE tag above a player that can be revived.
* Get 10 kills while in Second Chance.
* Revenge — While in Second Chance, kill the enemy who downed you 5 times.
* Headshot — Get 1 headshot kill while in Second chance.

Hacker | Hacker Pro
Hacker
Ability: Allows you to see enemy explosives, equipment and Tactical Insertions. This highlights them with a red color like SitRep from Modern Warfare 2.
Pro Ability: This is one of the most interesting additions to the whole Black Ops perks list. Hacker Pro actually allows you to sabotage enemy Care Packages and also turn enemy equipment friendly. This also makes you invisible to Motion Sensors.
* Destroy 10 pieces of enemy equipment.
* 25 kills with claymore or C4.
* 25 kills on enemies within the range of your Motion Sensor/jammer.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:41 
8-Bit Champion

Forced update on this last night - nothing obviously different apart from the fact the store in multiplayer now has a 'new' tab next to it but nothing new to buy (i assume its ready for the map drop).

BTW Nick , if you dont make it back soon i'm going to lap you (I'm up to 41 on the next one round vs your 44)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:00 
Excellently Membered

Thanks for the info youth! Need to get back in the saddle...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:11 
8-Bit Champion

Listening to Major Nelsons podcast this morning there were a few things on this :

The update last week changed the way shotguns work with 2nd chance - if you shotgun someone they will *not* drop into 2nd chance but will die.
The update also changed the way kills are credited for 2nd chance players - if you took them down you get the full kill (not the person who hits the killing blow).
There was also a mention of tweaking damage for the AK74u

Map pack comes out tomorrow - and there is a double XP weekend *this* weekend.

Oh and I stumbled across another odd combination of skills which gives an interesting game , more about limiting the other team than what you can do but :

Novagas
Scavenger (pro)
Warlord (pro)
Tac mask

Basically you start with 2 novagas (from the warlord) , and gain an extra one every time you walk over a body so you can just spray it everywhere - its amazing how many people dont seem to have a class set with a tac mask so they cant make it through the gas areas.

I played a few games with it last night and had really high 'assist' numbers but not that great kill numbers - however on small-ish maps you basically block off entire routes to the enemies so it does help with defensive points.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:55 
Excellently Membered

Sound like something worth trying.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:58 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I miss Nickachu :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:28 
I miss codblops :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 13:13 
Master of dodgy spelling....

itsallwater wrote:
Sound like something worth trying.

:this: I am still playing COD 4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 13:19 
Slightly Brackish

God, I forgot people liked this game... :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 13:20 

I'll send you an invite later?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 18:37 
Excellently Membered

Bobbyaro wrote:
I'll send my mum around later?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:27 
8-Bit Champion

In theory the maps could be availalble to download in about 30 minutes

http://twitter.com/DavidVonderhaar/stat ... 3719627776

Quote:
Weekend FAQ. A: #CODBlackOps First Strike available after 2:00am (PST) on Feb 1st regardless of time zone you are in. (http://bit.ly/19Tvfv)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 14:36 
8-Bit Champion

Now live - link if you want to add it to your download queue (1200 points)

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Produ ... c63b025202

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 14:46 
Bad Girl

Thanks for the link, Zaphod. First time I've done that, but maybe I should have left my xbox on before I left for work...

Anyway, go, go, excitement!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 14:55 
8-Bit Champion

Ian Fairies wrote:
Thanks for the link, Zaphod. First time I've done that, but maybe I should have left my xbox on before I left for work...

Anyway, go, go, excitement!

I find it really useful for stuff like this - when i get home i can just click the button to turn the Xbox on and leave it alone while i go and sort dinner and it will download stuff and it'll be all ready to go when i'm finished.

(rather than get home , get logged in , start up the game or going into various menu's to find it) - the xbox.com integration is something which they have really improved over the last year or so.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:26 
8-Bit Champion

CODBLOPS stats stuff from Kotaku (bloody cars)

http://kotaku.com/5749174/62-billion-de ... -black-ops

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/im ... raphic.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:59 
Sleepyhead

I liked what little of the new maps I played. Especially stadium.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 13:24 
Bad Girl

Zaphod, that was awesome. The sexbox was happily chugged away downloading and all I did was walk in the door and press the button on the controller.

I played a few games of CTF which is probably the best way to learn the new maps (You get killed a lot by the oncoming traffic or from angles you didn’t know existed and then swap over and then get exactly the same from the other way while you try to find the places the enemies were hiding the first time). Thankfully none of the maps are as meandering or boring as, say, “Strike” on MW2 but there is an awful lot of detail and different levels on the Chinese map “Howloon”, and the icy level, whose name I forget. I thought they might get boring but on both I ran into loads of people no matter which way I went. Plus the zipline on Howloon is great fun. But like any COD gamer knows, the best maps are the small ones and “Stadium” and “Berlin Wall” are two of the best maps. Stadium’s about the size of Scrapyard on MW2 and Berlin Wall a little smaller. I really enjoyed playing both maps, but they came up less frequently than the other two for me. Plus I still had to play through Nuketown and Jungle as there’s no separate playlist for the new maps. Tch.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 13:28 

I thought Berlin Wall was pretty big, but it does all look the same.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 13:41 
Sleepyhead

It took me a while to learn to avoid the automated guns on Berlin Wall...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 13:49 

I don't like the window you can climb out of and land in NML and get shot. :(
Haven't actually played on Stadiummy yet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 13:50 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

We played a corking Stadium game just after you left. I do like that level.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 14:28 
Sleepyhead

Craster wrote:
We played a corking Stadium game just after you left. I do like that level.

Indeed. We had some good games of Hardquarters last night. I do so like it when we win by 5 points, especially if we earned those points in the last seconds.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 14:37 
8-Bit Champion

Of the new ones I prefered the small maps so Stadium and Berlin wall (I tend to play Domination so you get an idea of just how small berlin wall is when your capturing points).

The no 'new maps' mode is a pain , even if they did it as a mixed game mode with CTF / Deathmatch / Domination it would be better than randomly getting the old maps (or dropping into games with the old maps cause everyone has left for the new ones).

The rooftops one is mad , it almost has too many snipe / ambush points but i guess you'll get used to which bits go where.

The idea of destructable bridges in the Anartic base is good but again there seems a lot of high vantage points to snipe people from - thats one i can see getting better when you learn the ways around it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:38 
8-Bit Champion

For those who havent checked back there is now a 'first strike' option in the multiplayer section which allows you to just cycle round those maps.

There are only 3 game modes (TDM / Domination / Search and Destroy(?) and no hardcore) but it does mean you can just play with the new maps.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 13:12 

Treyarch don't like hardcore, do they.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 14:43 
8-Bit Champion

Bobbyaro wrote:
Treyarch don't like hardcore, do they.

Could be taken completly the wrong way but I'd like Hardcore Domination

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 15:32 

I, err, phew, is it me or is it hot in here? :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 15:53 
Excellently Membered

zaphod79 wrote:

Could be taken completly the wrong way but your mum likes Hardcore Domination

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:12 
8-Bit Champion

Double XP worked out not too bad , 47 on current prestige , and just maxed out the first thing for my 'lifetime' challenges (complete 500 contracts)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 15:04 
Stop playing this without me

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 15:10 
8-Bit Champion

nickachu wrote:
Stop playing this without me

Just hurry up and get back online !

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 15:12 
Sleepyhead

Nickachu hasn't even got the map pack!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 15:14 
8-Bit Champion

Curiosity wrote:
Nickachu hasn't even got the map pack!

I wonder if you get the little message at the bottom "someone in this party...."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 18:52 

Actually I think it says, "somebody in Sweden doesn't have the map pack."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 19:22 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Actually, going by what happened last week when Craster tried to join our game, it is possible that it simply won't let someone play with us if they don't have the map pack.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 19:28 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I reckon they quickly patched the map pack, and that was the problem there. We all had the map pack, but slightly different versions.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 19:53 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I prefer my scenario.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:59 

Ok, I bought it, I am impressed with it so far, only done 5 team games so far.

Any tips (so I don't have to read 30 pages)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:25 
8-Bit Champion

KovacsC wrote:
Any tips (so I don't have to read 30 pages)

It really depends on your playstyle and what guns you get on with.

I prefer the Assault Rifles so at the start I went with the Enfield (auto fire) unlocked at 5 put a red dot scope (or reflex scope) onto it and stuck with it until 20 for the Gallil (which i stick with pretty much to the end adding in the AK74 and the Commando when they are unlocked but thats a long way off).

It would be worth picking up what guns are around the battlefield as you'll find a lot of gallil's / commando's / AK47's

The other very popular gun is the AK74u (smg) which fires a million bullets and kicks all over the place (even with a grip) but because its an SMG you get the speed boost

Also set up a class with a few perks your going to actually use and unlock the pro versions , Ghost is a good one to start with.

I'd also suggest for the pro perks stuff to read this :

viewtopic.php?p=514426#p514426

Which i put together recently when itsallwater started playing

My preferred game is Domination , however Headquarters is good and at least has a hardcore mode.

Oh and another tip at the start - take your secondary weapon and put the default rocket launcher on it.
You can fire it at people (its slow but good for taking out snipey spots) , and when you hear the message "enemy spyplane" , or "They are blocking our rader" , get to somewhere you can look around , pull out the launcher and take out the spyplane (or anti-spy plane) you need to aim at it for a few seconds to get the 'locked tone' each one you take down is 150 xp

I basically stick with that launcher till the 2 shot one is available (level 30)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:49 

Cheers that is useful,

I just got the Enfield unlocked but have not used it yet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:22 
Hibernating Druid

KovacsC wrote:
Any tips

Shoot first, ask questions later.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:46 
Sleepyhead

What's yer Gamertag, Kov?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:48 

Kovacsc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:51 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

KovacsC wrote:
Any tips?

Play with us. Revel in the fact that even as a complete noob, you're still better than Riles.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:52 

Poor Riles... Do I need the new maps?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:04 
8-Bit Champion

Zardoz wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Any tips

Shoot first, ask questions later.

Unless your playing hardcore , in which case only shoot if they dont have a green name above them (and remember that Ghost pro removes the name so shoot people with no name - only for the name to pop in later :-)

KovacsC wrote:
Cheers that is useful,
I just got the Enfield unlocked but have not used it yet.

I find its the easiest of the 'early' guns - but thats partly because i like the full auto part - i know a number of others stick with the first gun and the 3 shot burst.

At the start money is tight so you dont really want to be spending stuff you dont have to - so go scavenging on the battlefield for guns and see what you like (stand over a body or a gun and you'll get a prompt to hold X to swap it out)

I'm almost back around to 1 again - and will probably click over tonight but my first purchases are normally enfield / red dot / ghost / steady aim / marathon / sticky bomb / claymore - and that will take a little while to mount up.

Also when you unlock them kick of as many contracts as you can as they are generally easy to get especially the lower down ones - they give you XP , and cash and start counting up the number you've completed so that drops in other XP bonuses.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:17 

I have just come from COD4 to this, so trying to get used to the differences.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 22:54 
UltraMod

KovacsC wrote:
I have just come from COD4 to this, so trying to get used to the differences.

8)

Reply to topic  [ 1097 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next