Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1919 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Camera gear
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 19:29 
Sitting balls-back folder

Fz45? Fx45? It looks like a little slr and cost 250 quid anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 20:30 
Excellent Member

Bridge, sensor the size of a compact but with great zoom. My mother had the version before that one, I would say it's a fantastic holiday camera for snapshots, it has good white balance and metering as well. Utterly blows over iso 400 but outside that's not a problem, IQ is perfectly fine for normal small prints or a digital picture frame. Tough as well, her one survived Egypt when dad's bridge (sony I think) got sand in the sensor and died. A bridge is a good camera if you want lightness and reach, you are looking at a thousand pounds at the minimum to get a dslr+lens+ tripod to get the same reach as a 24x zoom.
There are two factors that determine if you can get the background out of focus or not, one is sensor size the other is aperture. A compact sized sensor wont be able to blur your background however small your aperture is. M 4/3 can do it but a f/3.5 isn't as blurred as it would be on a normal dslr sized sensor.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 22:06 

kalmar wrote:
edit: :facepalm: After reading a review of the Nikon 1, the first thing it says is that it's not a micro 4/3rds camera anyway, the sensor is far smaller at just 16mm and the lenses won't interchange with other manufacturers like 4/3s will.

Nobody said that it was. And neither will micro 4/3rds either. They are proprietary to Panasonic and Olympus.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 22:07 

Pete -- there are larger bodies for EVIL cameras, like the Panasonic G3, that offer more manual controls and more physical grip whilst maintaining lens compatibility with the smaller compact-style bodies. And they are still smaller and lighter than even small DSLRs like the D5000. And the lenses are also smaller and lighter.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 18:24 
Hibernating Druid

I'll wait for a Chaotic Neutral camera.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 20:58 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

what is the difference between IS lens and DC lens?

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/pro ... /show.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 21:19 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

IS is image stabilisation. Does a little bit to counteract hand shake. It generally allows you about an extra stop or so of leeway. The IS version of the 18-55 is newer, the DC one refers to the older lens that doesn't have IS, I think.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 14:59 
Excellent Member

Picked up a box of old P&S from a charity shop for £6.50 Contained: Minolta AF-E (boxed), Nikon AF210 (boxed) a Kodak instamatic 500 (soft case+ instructions edit: instructions for a different version) and a canon sureshot AF-7. Minolta and Canon both defiantly work, the kodak has a cracked lens and takes odd film but is pretty just as an object, nikon may or may not work as batteries may have leaked at some point. Also waiting for a Samsung ECX1 to be delivered from the bay, it's supposed to be the best P&S out there and was designed by Porsche and is gorgeous, but more importantly can do 35mm panoramas. I really need to photograph my film camera and Russian light meter collection at some point, the jewel being this absolutely stunning stainless steel late 1950s german agfa super silette rangefinder that I haven't used because the instructions are a tome. It's getting hard to find cheap film and older cameras these days because of the lomography trend pushing them up beyond what they are actually worth (about £1 3 years ago) . Problem with the lomo trend is that even though it's inflating prices it's actually keeping the 35mm film industry in business so I can't really complain that much.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 15:04 
Excellent Member

Had an amazing time with the P&S cameras today, Walked back from a meeting on the other side of town to the centre and found things I never saw before, and framed, clicked and walked on. Still don't know how both cameras work though so we shall see on friday. Full frame for £1, I'll take it. Also I got shots of people I would never have got with any of my other cameras, they either didn't notice or were amused enough by the 80s tech that they didn't get openly hostile, which made a change.

Christ high street film developing got expensive. £7.50 to develop and CD (£2) a 36 exposer film at boots now 8) Tescos will do it for £2 total (my mate works in the film labs but is off this week so I can't just give them to her). I would have gone to Jessops but our boots do them in-house where as Jessops send them off to the fujifilm labs in leeds.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:12 
Hibernating Druid

I've just been told I'm going on the roof today to take a photo looking down on a group of people. A D40 was left on my desk (one of the Marketing girls husbands camera) but I have my D5000 with me today anyway. I'll take both up there as I've only my 35mm lens and it might be handy to have the 18-55 on the D40 too. Saves faffing about in the cold with people waiting. The D40 feels so light compared to the D5000 and the viewfinder looks very clear with only 3 focus points across the centre. Interesting to see how they compare today.

Do you ever miss yours, Pete?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 22:45 
Excellent Member

Nah, I don't really miss the D40x, though it was a very nice camera - I've shots with it which I still reckon my best. I sold it to a mate, and when I had a go on it again a few months later I was astonished at how light it was. It also fitted far more handily in my camera bag. The viewfinder seemed a bit titchier too. All in all it just seemed more toy like. However, the ISO on the D40 is actually comparable to the D90 due to the low number of megapixels. Image quality wise, the D40 will match the D90 in most low ISO shots too. Though I do find the D90 allows a better EV range which really tells with tonal gradations (especially in lit vs shaded washes of colour) and sunsets.

Decca, is that a full frame as in full frame viewfinder? Sounds like a mighty haul.

So have they pegged you as the office photographer, Zardoz? Oddly, despite being acknowledged by everyone in the library as being the one who knows most about photography, despite having shot events before other places, despite the library camera being a D3100, despite me owning low light lenses perfect for photographing library events... the manager still calls on pretty much everyone but me to photograph the damn things. :facepalm:

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:14 
Hibernating Druid

I know what you mean about it feeling like a toy. Combination of the light weight and simplified (well compared to mine) menu settings. Can't argue with the pictures it takes though, of the two shots we selected to use one was from each camera.

It's slowly sinking in with people that I like photography and have a decent camera and that camera phones don't really cut the mustard when it comes to publicity shots. :facepalm: So yeah, I'm now the unofficial photographer here.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:49 

I mentioned the chromatic aberration I'd got with my 35mm lens and thought it was due to a UV filter I had on the front. However it took this shot before with no filter and it seems to suffer the same problem (click for bigger, look around the prop):

Airfix Spitfire PRXIX 1/72 by Loopdreams, on Flickr

Is my lens a poor example or is it typical? I was using a very small aperture so as to get it all in focus.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:18 
Hibernating Druid

Hmm, I've never noticed it on the shots I've taken with mine.

Where did you buy the lens from?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:20 

Jessops. I'll try taking some more shots of the same subjects at different apertures to see if it's that. I'm pretty sure that the shots I've taken with it wide open or wider open were ok.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:31 
Hibernating Druid

Yeah, but looking at stuff I've taken with mine it's been fine on shots with high and low aperture settings as far as I'm aware.

I've shots on my Flickr account tagged "35mm" if you want to compare.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 14:09 
It's all pish

I was under the impression that that sort of thing was fairly common when you shoot with a small aperture. I guess the quality of the lens will dictate how obvious it is, though.

Xbox Live & Game Centre ID - MalcSeventyFour
You're not allowed to be better than me, though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 14:14 
Hibernating Druid

Hmm, yeah the Exif says ƒ18 on that shot. I don't normally go over 11 really...

I can try some pics at ƒ18 with mine and let you see if you like, Mark.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 14:32 

Yeah, perhaps sometime we could try some identical shots with both lenses just to see for sure. If there is something iffy I might as well get it swapped.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 21:31 

So bought a Lumix GF3 with twin lens kit (14mm and 14-42) Just waiting for battery to charge... ... ... ... ... ... .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 17:30 

:)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 13:37 
Hibernating Druid

Good deal here on a Tripod if anyone is after one:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 14:46 

Hm, looks like a good camera that. If I were buying now I'd spend the extra over the FZ45. Reckon I'll recommend it to Hel, as she wants a new one.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 14:59 
Hibernating Druid

Er... it's a tripod dude.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 15:25 

So that's where I've been going wrong!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 14:45 
Excellent Member

Bobbyaro wrote:
So bought a Lumix GF3 with twin lens kit (14mm and 14-42) Just waiting for battery to charge... ... ... ... ... ... .

How are you doing with yours? I'm in love with mine. Still only using the 14-42 as it's phenomenal for street even if it does lack DOF. Having tested it out, the best setting for the zoom lens is iA, as it's powered by the souls of the damned, with the 14mm I would switch back to A :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 22:16 
Excellent Member

Gear update.

Must stay away from ebay, but it's ugly, cheap and rare with all those accessories and no one else has spotted it!! buggerit mine.

Also I bought this a few weeks back at first glance you may lol, looks like the mirror is smashed from the picture (isn't), looks like the end lens is fucked (is). As it turns out it's a fully working OM 30 - one lens fits it, one lens is minolta and the third is a carl zeiss prakticar mount 35mm 2.4 and the latter is worth £150 on it's own (note it's not M42 it's Prakticar B which is a shame). I have a old manual praktikar knocking about so I'll probably shoot a roll and sell it, keeping the Olympus though.

Edit: of course I'm now waiting for the friggin batteries to turn up.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:36 
Excellent Member

This is a bit like the old woman wondering the halls talking to herself. Someone I am possibly related to on facebook (or is a friend of my dads) has a new X100 and is sending me his old panasonic G1 body to test against the Gf3. When I checked the prices on ebay I was somewhat surprised to discover you can pick them up for £125 (body only) - for a camera that on paper is as good as the G2 but with no video. Get the panasonic 20mm 1.7 for £200 and you have yourself the perfect beginners kit for £325. Now that's a freaking bargain.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:57 
Unpossible!

Stop buying cameras!

:)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:54 
Excellent Member

I know. But to be fair, I resell a lot of film cameras and lenses that I pick up untested on ebay or markets, often they just need a clean or non-mobile phone pictures taken of them, also you can get an extra £5-10 for putting £1.50 worth of batteries in them. It helps that I'm now the person people offload old cameras they have had sitting in their loft since they went digital. It's not a huge profit by any means but it did buy me a new dining room table. (see I'm learning, 6 months ago and that would have gone on a nikon lens or the panasonic 1.7 that I still don't own :( ).

The cameras I have to keep are the D300, GF3, Nikon F-801m, Nikon F65, Olympus OM 30 and samsung ECX1. (plus soon the G1 I'm being lent) film cameras are all boxed and mint. I have a few old canon 300/300vs, a old Prakticar fully mechanical and a consumer nikon (f50?) and a box of point and shoots sitting around. I may keep the chinon because the lenses it comes with are fantastic and I don't own another M42.*

You would think that the film market is dead but it's far far from it, you just have to find what people want and people want classic and pretty. A Olympus OM 10 will go for 3x more than a Canon 300v which is the very last consumer camera they made and has all the internal gubbins of a modern DSLR with the bonus of being full frame.

*I have a fubared roll of film that I test lenses or shutter speed/internal gubbins on, one day I may develop it and call it "art"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:08 
Hibernating Druid

Decca wrote:
This is a bit like the old woman wondering the halls talking to herself.

I think everyone has the gear that they want/need now, Decca. Your just posting about your latest acquisitions for your camera museum. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:52 
Excellent Member

The more it becomes like a job the less photos I take :( or if I do run a roll of film though something really nice I'm selling it's boring test stuff. I've promised myself a trip to Sheffield winter and botanical gardens the next weekday it's sunny.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 14:20 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

In the bargains thread, but I'll stick it in here as well. Adobe Lightroom 4 is out now, and they've halved the price.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 14:24 
Hibernating Druid

Aperture (3) is only £54.99.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 14:26 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Well, quite. Because you've spent a bajillion pounds on the mac you need to run it on.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 14:28 
Hibernating Druid

Scrubber.

I liked Lightroom 3 when I tried it but I've already invested too much time (and organisation) with Aperture. Don't think I'd ever switch now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 14:30 

Do people really buy Adobe software just to use at home?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 14:30 
Hibernating Druid

All the time mate. :ninja:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 14:38 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I 'found' LR3, but I use it a hell of a lot and with that price reduction I'll probably buy 4.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 14:44 
Hibernating Druid

Steady on, I think one copy will do to ease your guilt.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 19:14 
Excellent Member

LR4 still has no proper support for panasonic RAW files btw, it also still gets confused with Nikon's active D lighting so switch it off in-camera if you don't use NX2 for conversion first.

edit: update, LR4 buggers up your customised tone settings, some people have had some luck with going back one in history to fix it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:47 
Excellent Member

Thanks for the LR4 heads-up. It's actually quite tempting. I've got a Yo-Ho-Ho version of Lightroom 3 (well, not precisely Yo-Ho-Ho, it's the trial download with a cunning tweak which keeps it from checking the expiry) and do feel immense love for it, so I might reward Adobe for their wonderful product. The white balance brush sounds especially neat.

I may change my benevolent mind the next moment I have to use anything else Adobe PDF related, however. Hateful.

Decca, if you're finding your cameras too much of a burden, you can always post some to me. :)

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 20:15 
Excellent Member

I need all the cameras. Don't need the current prices of film cameras though, especially the pretty old school manual ones, though on the plus side - fuck ugly, still cheap.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:16 

don't know if this is a bargain or not, but:

veho duopod for £16
http://www.ibood.com/uk/en/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 23:55 
Excellent Member

OK gear whore update, bought a friend's nikon 18-200 AF-S VR for £190 I know this sounds stupidly low but it has a intermittent fault with the VR creating shake for a second, but you know what for £400 off I'll deal with it (It's an average lens not worth the full price tag btw, in IQ terms it's not worth more than £250), if it totally dies then it's a £150 repair. This does mean that I'm selling two lenses when it turns up so beex can have first dibs. Make me an offer, obviously there will be a discount as I won't have to go via ebay. They are being sold on friday morning.

55-200 AF-S VR, you all know this one.

I see you by Learnin' Curve, on Flickr

Tamron 18-250 AF non-VR this lens will not work on DXXX cameras with the exception of the D7000. I'll not gloss over, it has flaws, it needs a fast shutter speed and I'm not keen on the colours it produces but I quite like it in black and white.

Private Derby by Learnin' Curve, on Flickr

Private Derby with C company by Learnin' Curve, on Flickr

I think he's dead by now dear by Learnin' Curve, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 18:27 
Excellent Member

Sorry Decca. It's just not my preferred focal range. I do love the shot of the regimental ram, though.

I'm very, very tempted by this...

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/nikon ... n/99317348

Nikon FE2 film camera, perfect for street photography with its dinky size, hard-wearing body and 50mm f/2 lens. Also - look at it! It's gorgeous! I've been mulling about the film world for some time. But no, I really should get that flashgun, damnitt. Maybe next month for Meester FE2. (Same camera that shot the Man vs. Tanks Chinee Square thang, folks!)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 19:38 

How much are you selling the Nikkor 55-200 for?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:49 
Excellent Member

the 55-200 is gone I'm afraid, didn't sell the 18-250 yet because there is a problem with manual focusing and my local buyer only buys mint.

Pete, before you buy open up the back and check the film spool cogs are ok by loading a roll, if you have problems loading then it is likely that it will eat the finished roll. It's one of the common problems with old cameras and you can't tell from sellers photographs. Boots do the best deal on film developing and scanning, it's £6.50 for 24 and £7.50 for 36, the expired film may be fine if it's properly sealed, if it's not then you may get more grain or a slight green tinge. http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/ is where you can get all old camera batteries from.
My manual Nikon is the F-301 with the AA battery modification, it was the last manual camera nikon made and has auto film advance and metering but no rewind moter, it had a AF sister but it's shite. I'm going against the brotherhood saying that but in all honesty nikon's autofocus system was absolute cack for a long time and only really got worth using in the med to late 90s. Trying to focus with something like the f-801 (nboobs in the states) is a fraking nightmare unless you are in perfect light, it hunts like a bitch and you don't have the focusing aid of a proper manual camera so there is much swearing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:55 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... fA2mTMt0u8 :DD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 16:05 
Excellent Member

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/04/01/new-n ... 3200.aspx/

F mount adaptor for the new coolpix, may not sound monumentally interesting but with the sensor size and crop factor you could stick a telephoto lens on it and lens on it photograph the damn moon landing site* if you were so inclined.

*may not get that much reach but it will be awesome for stalkers.

Reply to topic  [ 1919 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next