Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: I want to fear no more!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:45 
Esoteric

Agent Starling wrote:
I don't have much to say here, but I don't like dogs as a rule and find them smelly and annoying, though I wish them no harm, especially well behaved ones with responsible owners.

Gill, I saw your puppy in the other thread, and she's lovely. I'm not a dog person but I can appreciate a cute puppy when I see one. :)

All of :this: basically. Including the nice bit at the end :D

Dogs are too hyper for me and too high maintainance. They're pack animals so hate being alone and they do indeed stink. My brother recently got a puppy. I'm quite annoyed that he has to bring it over with him (unavoidable because unlike my cats you can't leave it alone) so I have to put up a baby gate stressing my cats to fuck. They hide and when he's gone it takes them a couple of days to get back into their routine. Recently though the dog laid in their beds and now, even after them going through the washing machine the cats won't go near them. It's fucking annoying because those beds were £35 a pop.

The dog jumped all over me last time it was here, stressed the fuck out of me and scratched my arms up with it's razor like claws. Now he is cute, don't get me wrong, but I just find dogs highly irritating. Especially annoying ones that keep fucking jumping around like a two year old on too much sugar. This is why I hate dumb dogs like Staffs and Boxers.

Give me a cat any day.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:46 
Skillmeister

Cats stink too.

Guinea pigs stink.

Humans stink.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:47 
Esoteric

The only stink from a cat is male spray and piss and the shite. Which is why I have chosen females and keep up on panning for gold.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:48 
Skillmeister

Nah, you're just desensitised to it. My sister had female cats and they stank.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:53 
Unpossible!

friends of ours have 3 cats. Their house constantly smells of shit.

I don't think pets are a good thing. Not for me anyway

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:07 
Esoteric

DavPaz wrote:
friends of ours have 3 cats. Their house constantly smells of shit.

I don't think pets are a good thing. Not for me anyway

I don't mean any disrespect mush but they obviously don't stay on top of cleaning up after their cats. Yes, when one of my cats takes a shit it stinks. However, I've got a plug in right next to the litter box, use good litter with the odor crystals but most importantly I get it scooped into a nappy bag and out into the bin.

People come here and say "why have you got a litter tray in here?" they simply don't even realise we have cats here (they're reclusive when people come).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 13:24 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

I remember sitting in my dad's garden as a child. His dog took this as a chance to hump the fuck out of my back. This was, obviously, my fault, as my dad's wife just sat there shouting ‘Stop encouraging him!’ at me.

But my lesson there has nothing to do with dogs, and more to do with some dog owners, and more specifically my dad's wife being an utter fucknut.

I still love dogs, though I'd never own one. I can't be doing with walking an animal and cleaning up after it, so I don't want any such pets. Lovely to play with other people's dogs, mind, much like with their children.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 13:47 
Paws for thought

My guinea pigs smelled of hay and disinfectant.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 13:52 

Mr Dave wrote:
My guinea pigs smelled of hay and disinfectant.
Had they just murdered someone in a barn?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 19:45 
Hello Hello Hello

BLAH!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 22:32 
Paws for thought

I was once a cute puppy too!
\

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 22:37 
Skillmeister

"I am a dangerous dog"
\

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:13 

For MaliA:

(from http://wondermark.com/603/ )

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:20 
UltraMod

I think it all depends on what you're used to. Someone who grew up with a family dog probably wonders what the fuss is all about, whereas people like Dave, Mimi - and to a certain extent, me - have either had bad experiences growing up or at the very least the only contact with them has been an overenthusiastic or aggressive dog met out in the public.

I have largely conquered my irrational fear of dogs, mainly by visiting friends with lovely dogs who I've got on with very well. I will still give aggressive-looking or angry dogs a wide berth in public, however. I also feel nervous if a big dog is off its lead in a park, for example.

I can see where Arsebiscuit is coming from, but he tends to take things to their illogical conclusion and is obviously baiting the dog owners in this thread.

Case in point over general chavdog owners, I was walking through Brum town centre this morning and a Staffy appeared in my field of vision from behind and briefly sniffed my leg. I controlled the urge to flinch and smiled at it, before looking up to its owner who gave me a big glare. You can't win!

Grim..., I managed to conquer my phobia of flying too, by having to travel by plane for work. I still get a bit nervous on a bumpy flight, but that's pretty normal. It's a good job too, considering I had to get on eight different planes during my honeymoon. Heights I still can't deal well with, but two out of three ain't bad.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:23 
Ready for action

When you are up at the end of May I shall muzzle Willow, tie her up in the garden and feed her whole cows to try and save us all from being killed ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:26 
UltraMod

I would also like a large pointy stick, just in case.

I forgot to mention that my boss got mauled by a Staffy when trying to pull it apart from his dog, who it had started attacking. I saw the bite marks - they were quite small but really deep.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:28 
Hibernating Druid

Like the internets famous Dr Richard Gaywood.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:30 

The only dogs that have ever tried to attack me have been crappy little Yorkies and things. Hence I've no real fear of dogs, however I still give Staffies a wide berth as they are mostly owned by complete fucking knobheads.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:33 
Hibernating Druid

Yep. They can be lovely dogs too, but it's safer to be more cautious with Chav breeds.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:35 
INFINITE POWAH

Any dog, if it has a fuckwit owner, can be worrisome. And that's perhaps the problem - it's not just the chavs who don't train their dogs properly.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:40 

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Any dog, if it has a fuckwit owner, can be worrisome. And that's perhaps the problem - it's not just the chavs who don't train their dogs properly.

Yeah they can, it's just that some are trained to be downright aggressive and in practice people who do that gravitate toward certain breeds.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:48 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

myoptikakaka wrote:
Grim..., I managed to conquer my phobia of flying too, by having to travel by plane for work. I still get a bit nervous on a bumpy flight, but that's pretty normal. It's a good job too, considering I had to get on eight different planes during my honeymoon. Heights I still can't deal well with, but two out of three ain't bad.

I had six flights on my honeymoon, and was fine. Air travel has never worried me - Hell, I watched the first episode of Lost (the one with the plane crash) on the way out to the USA, and wasn't phased at all.
On the final flight back to the UK, I was convinced the big fucker was going to fall out of the sky and kill me. And that hasn't gone away since :(

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:49 
Hibernating Druid

I'm ok flying as long as it's on a lead.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:53 

Grim... wrote:
On the final flight back to the UK, I was convinced the big fucker was going to fall out of the sky and kill me. And that hasn't gone away since :(

My brother works at BAe in flight dynamics, he says that since working with aircraft he has become more scared of flying. Knowing just how many systems need to all function in order to keep an airliner flying he can't help listening to every sound the plane makes and imagining some component or other failing. I sort of know what he means although I love flying despite the odd moments of adrenaline and for some reason when I fly in light aircraft I'm not scared at all even though I know it's a lot more dangerous.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:17 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

DOG HATERS REPRESENT.

When I was 4 I got my hand "proper chomped" by a massive Doberman that was taller than I was. Cue: Much avoiding and running away from even the slightest of terriers. I'm much less nervous around dogs than I used to be, purely from exposure to dogs and a bit of the plain old "Look, it's just a fucking dog" talk from myself. But still, I'm always 100% ready to kick one of the little bastards in the head should it so much as moev towards my direction in a fast manner.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:26 
Excellent Painter

I didn't actually pop my cherry with flying until I was in my mid 20s. My first time in a plane was taking pictures of a female RAF pilot doing circuit training - RAF Lyneham in Wiltshire (I think it's in Wilts - my knowledge of counties is crap). I arrived on base at 5:45am one May morning, it was a beautiful crisp clear morning and I had the hangover from hell - y'know, the one where you still stink of booze. Anyway, by 7am we were on board a Hercules barreling down the runway to spend the next hour doing circuits. I don't know how many landings/takeoffs we did but I will say this - I was standing on the flight deck the whole time and this good lady was so good on most of the touchdowns I didn't feel the plane make contact with the tarmac. Oh, this being a military flight, some of the g's we pulled on the banking curves was so extreme on a couple of occasions while squatting down to retrieve something from my camera bag, I couldn't actually stand up until we leveled out. Also, that's some serious grunt those planes have!

Every commercial flight I have been on since has been measurably worse and some of the landings I've experienced have contributed to my phobia of flying. My main problem however is that I get really bloody painful earache when we land. And when I say painful I mean REALLY FUCKING PAINFUL.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:41 
Excellent Member

I cam empathise with Grim... a bit

Ive always flown as a child onwards, and the worst part was the ear popping.
One time however, couple year back, I just got really nervous on a flight for some reason. Shit me up a bit until landing.
I got over it again, and now I fly a lot for business so Id be fooked if not, but it can take one bad experience to put you off.

Much as I would imagine a dog bite.
Personally I dont feel scared of dogs. A german shepherd going mental at you is intimidating of course, and Chav dogs can go away entirely imho.
However, my friend has 2 dobermans and I refuse to beleive they are anything but the soppyest pair of sissys dogs ever.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:44 
Honey Boo Boo

DBSnappa wrote:
this being a military flight, some of the g's we pulled on the banking curves was so extreme on a couple of occasions while squatting down to retrieve something from my camera bag, I couldn't actually stand up until we leveled out. Also, that's some serious grunt those planes have!

Commercial aircraft have some capabilities that they'll never use. Such as being capable of barrel rolls.

Quote:
My main problem however is that I get really bloody painful earache when we land. And when I say painful I mean REALLY FUCKING PAINFUL.

The Valsalva technique (which you'll know if you've ever scuba dived) is your friend if you suffer from this. Hold your nose, close your mouth, and try to breathe out through your nose. You'll feel the pressure in your ears. Don't worry, you're not going to burst your eardrums unless you set out to do so. Gradually increase the pressure and you'll eventually equalize the pressure with your surroundings, which should eliminate the pain. I sometimes get my ears popping just by driving over Caerphilly mountain!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:48 
Excellent Member

Ive found if i ever fly with a cold its excruciating..blocked sinuses and what not. very unpleasant.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:51 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Has this been posted yet?
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/commen ... 052392.ece

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:53 
Ready for action

I can pop my ears just opening my jaws wide whilst simultaneously clenching my jaw. If it is really bad I do the holding my nose thing though. Sucking a hard boiled sweet helps as well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:11 
Excellent Painter

MetalAngel wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:

Quote:
My main problem however is that I get really bloody painful earache when we land. And when I say painful I mean REALLY FUCKING PAINFUL.

The Valsalva technique (which you'll know if you've ever scuba dived) is your friend if you suffer from this. Hold your nose, close your mouth, and try to breathe out through your nose. You'll feel the pressure in your ears. Don't worry, you're not going to burst your eardrums unless you set out to do so. Gradually increase the pressure and you'll eventually equalize the pressure with your surroundings, which should eliminate the pain. I sometimes get my ears popping just by driving over Caerphilly mountain!

Trust me, I've tried all of these things. I've even tried taking painkillers and decongestants to no avail. I'm literally deaf for a couple of hours after touchdown and feel like someone has jammed a skewer through my head. It's deeply unpleasant.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 13:40 
Honey Boo Boo

You seen a doctor about that? Because I can't imagine it's healthy to have the entire pressure buildup from a descent from 30,000 feet in your inner ear for hours.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 14:26 
Unpossible!

I had the crippling ear agony on one flight, landing at Liverpool Airport. Plenty of other people on the plane did too and I'm sure the pilot knew he'd done something wrong, since despite a faultless, delicate touchdown, he still apologised for the landing. I suspect he came down too fast. Thinking back, Runcorn Bridge looked mighty close.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 14:36 
Excellent Painter

MetalAngel wrote:
You seen a doctor about that? Because I can't imagine it's healthy to have the entire pressure buildup from a descent from 30,000 feet in your inner ear for hours.

I haven't actually. But considering how fucking useless our GPs are I suspect it would get met with shoulder shrugging indifference. I don't fly very often so it's not a HUGE problem - last time I was on a plane was 2006.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 14:47 
Gogmagog

DavPaz wrote:
I had the crippling ear agony on one flight, landing at Liverpool Airport. Plenty of other people on the plane did too and I'm sure the pilot knew he'd done something wrong, since despite a faultless, delicate touchdown, he still apologised for the landing. I suspect he came down too fast. Thinking back, Runcorn Bridge looked mighty close.

I only recently found out that Runcorn isn't in London. Which explains why 2 Pints of Lager always confused me geographically.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 15:18 
Sleepyhead

markg wrote:
The only dogs that have ever tried to attack me have been crappy little Yorkies and things. Hence I've no real fear of dogs, however I still give Staffies a wide berth as they are mostly owned by complete fucking knobheads.

Which is a damn shame, as they're one of the least vicious dogs in the world. In fact, IIRC, they're one of only two breeds of dog that the Kennel Club recommends for people with small children.

Beautiful dogs, Staffies. We had a couple when I was growing up (not at the same time, we got the second a while after the first one died, aged about 15).

I miss having an awesome dog, but sadly I'd be rubbish at looking after one at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 17:49 
Unpossible!

MaliA wrote:
I only recently found out that Runcorn isn't in London. Which explains why 2 Pints of Lager always confused me geographically.

It doesn't help that none of the characters sound like they're from Runcorn. Donna is the closest and she's from Warrington (about 10 miles away)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 17:51 
Unpossible!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... 9,,0,20.15

It's about there that they did the external scenes, I reckon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 19:45 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

DavPaz wrote:
MaliA wrote:

It doesn't help that none of the characters sound like they're from Runcorn. Donna is the closest and she's from Warrington (about 10 miles away)

I used to know a girl who looked similiar too and sounded EXACTLY like Donna.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 23:24 
Worst

superdupergill wrote:
I can pop my ears just opening my jaws wide whilst simultaneously clenching my jaw. If it is really bad I do the holding my nose thing though. Sucking a hard boiled sweet helps as well.

I can pop my ears just by popping my ears. It's hard to explain. It's like there's a button behind them that I press with my ear-backs.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 23:26 
Skillmeister

throughsilver wrote:
superdupergill wrote:

I can pop my ears just by popping my ears. It's hard to explain. It's like there's a button behind them that I press with my ear-backs.

:this: It's like starting to yawn with the back of your tongue, but not actually yawning.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 23:43 
INFINITE POWAH

Weirdly, :this:

It is ace.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:38 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

I'm not sure if it's "poping", but I can make my ears go WMMHP or some other, similiar underwatery style noise. I can do it in all the ways previously mentioned. (clentching, just doing it, etc). Is this it? I sometimes do it to prevent my head exploding whne I have a cold, as my nose is pretty shit and constantly en-snotted. (As well as lots of swallowing at the same time. Really releases pressure in the old mouth/nose cavity, I found)

ps: doing the WMMMPH thing has never helped me on planes....then again, I haven't been on one in years. But it doesn't help in tunnels either.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:48 
Worst

Oh, it proper sorts me in lift and planes.

But I suck sweets on the latter anyway. I like sweets.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 17:48 
Skillmeister

Dog insurance ruled out by government one week after they thought of the idea.

Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5