Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 1902 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 14:53 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 14101
Location: Oxford
Waiting at Edinburgh station for my train south. I bought a paper for the trip.


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:34 
User avatar

Joined: 23rd Nov, 2008
Posts: 9521
Location: The Golden Country
Heh. "McPravda" as I believe it's better known as in some circles. :D

_________________
Beware of gavia articulata oculos...

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 20:43 
User avatar

Joined: 23rd Nov, 2008
Posts: 9521
Location: The Golden Country
I didn't realise until today there's a "parody" of this particular publication on Twitter, @ScottyNational, where they're fairly mercilessly lampooned by the looks.

I'm not normally much given to all things Twitter, but by crikey, you'd require a heart of stone for this tweet to not to raise a chuckle, right guys? I mean really, you've just got to laugh...

Quote:
EU: As Angus Robertson urges us not 'to turn our backs on our EU neighbours', we issue this handy map


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
Beware of gavia articulata oculos...

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 21:34 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 2046
I really don't 'get' how there are Scottish nationalists who are pro-Brexit.* I mean, like a tiny state like an independent Scotland would be able to survive economically without being able to trade with neighbouring European states...

* yeah, I dislike that term too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 21:36 
User avatar
Can't re-member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 52495
Location: Liberty City
Nowt wrong with portmanteaux.

_________________
I am currently under construction.
Thank you for your patience.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 21:45 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Joined: 17th Dec, 2008
Posts: 8215
It looked great in The Prisoner.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:45 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 14101
Location: Oxford
To celebrate the lack of Scottish independence today, ['our friend in the westcountry' -Ed.] has produced a booklet on what happened since the referendum. Just the thing to pass the time as I'm off work today and currently pretty high on lemsip.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:06 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 14101
Location: Oxford
Oh, and the Scotland Act was passed last night. It's either the fulfilment of the Vow or the biggest blow since Culloden.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 18:48 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 14101
Location: Oxford
Since November there's been a group of protestors outside Holyrood holding a permanent vigil until independence happens. The courts have finally evicted them (Buzzfeed).

Reading the judgement it seems I've missed a treat of a case (spoilered for length):

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Quote:
[42] One of the statements which was lodged by Mr McFarlane in support of the submissions he advanced was a document which was addressed:

“To ALL the people who are acting as judges in Scotland”

[43] This document stated that there was an affidavit attached which was presented: “in this case and all other cases brought before every court in Scotland”. This so-called affidavit bore to be from Christ on his second coming, it ran to eight typed pages and bore to be signed: “Christ – King of Scotland”. The author was present in court for at least some of the hearing and claimed in the body of the document to be the owner of the whole world and everything pertaining to it. It was also explained in the document that he had given the Indycampers his permission to occupy his land and buildings. This was the basis upon which Mr McFarlane invited me to refuse to grant the order sought.

[44] As this so-called affidavit continued the author asserted that the judges were frauds, having no authority to judge anyone or to decide any matter, that their oaths were null and void, that they were fraudulently impersonating judges and that they and their fraudulent Queen were guilty of capital crimes and should all be executed. For these reasons the author asserted that these judges were criminals and had no authority or jurisdiction to order that the Indycamp be removed whilst the campers had his permission to use his land.

[45] I did point out to Mr McFarlane the logical conflict between asserting to me that neither I nor the court had any jurisdiction, whilst at the same time asking me to apply legal rights in his favour.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 18:53 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 19935
Kern wrote:
Since November there's been a group of protestors outside Holyrood holding a permanent vigil until independence happens. The courts have finally evicted them (Buzzfeed).

Reading the judgement it seems I've missed a treat of a case (spoilered for length):

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Quote:
[42] One of the statements which was lodged by Mr McFarlane in support of the submissions he advanced was a document which was addressed:

“To ALL the people who are acting as judges in Scotland”

[43] This document stated that there was an affidavit attached which was presented: “in this case and all other cases brought before every court in Scotland”. This so-called affidavit bore to be from Christ on his second coming, it ran to eight typed pages and bore to be signed: “Christ – King of Scotland”. The author was present in court for at least some of the hearing and claimed in the body of the document to be the owner of the whole world and everything pertaining to it. It was also explained in the document that he had given the Indycampers his permission to occupy his land and buildings. This was the basis upon which Mr McFarlane invited me to refuse to grant the order sought.

[44] As this so-called affidavit continued the author asserted that the judges were frauds, having no authority to judge anyone or to decide any matter, that their oaths were null and void, that they were fraudulently impersonating judges and that they and their fraudulent Queen were guilty of capital crimes and should all be executed. For these reasons the author asserted that these judges were criminals and had no authority or jurisdiction to order that the Indycamp be removed whilst the campers had his permission to use his land.

[45] I did point out to Mr McFarlane the logical conflict between asserting to me that neither I nor the court had any jurisdiction, whilst at the same time asking me to apply legal rights in his favour.


This is the most amazing thing I have ever read.

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 19:44 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 14101
Location: Oxford
Kern, in June 2015 wrote:
I once saw a Marks & Spencer gift box of Scottish biscuits. The tin was shaped like a London bus, and the passengers pictured at the windows included the likes of Shakespeare, the Beatles, Elizabeth the First, etc etc .


It was the fifth in this selection helpfully cobbled together today by [Pinot - Ed.].


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 20:01 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 19935
I'm
Not quite sure about the
Point being made about the porridge oats. I know most places have Scottish porridge oats but it might just be that they are sourced from Engksnd or Wales for cheapness?

Anyway, I could talk for ages on this subject as I once had so many issues with products sourced by our buyers for stores opening in Scotland. No hobos bread as it had the word 'British' on and a union flag, everything had to say Scottish, yadda yadda. Big headache.

My brain isn't organising words properly tonight, though, so best I don't start brain jabbering :)

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:38 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 14101
Location: Oxford
Yesterday there was a strange Commons debate in Westminster Hall on the Scottish Claim of Right. The MP for Glasgow North, Patrick Grady, opened it, with a newly-unemployed Michael Gove responding. Useful to me as an outsider as an overview to understand the mindset of independence supporters but I'm still not entirely sure what the purpose of the debate was, other than moan about the evils of Westminster.

The SNP speakers tend to focus on the 1989 Claim of Right, an exercise in civic participation that laid the groundwork for the devolution, rather than the charmingly rabid anti-Catholic text used to depose James VII/II (following the English lead on this!).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 23:41 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 34711
https://www.buzzfeed.com/jamieross/pro- ... qejbbDzMYL

Making friends wherever he goes...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:25 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 66212
Location: Your Mum
Have you seen why, though? It's a properly bullshit reason.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:24 
User avatar
INFINITE POWAH

Joined: 1st Apr, 2008
Posts: 30217
Grim... wrote:
Have you seen why, though? It's a properly bullshit reason.

The reason he got banned, you mean?

_________________
http://www.thehomeofawesome.com/
Eagles soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:26 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 19935
I couldn't reason see that a really was given. It doesn't read as if the reader writer knew what the given reason was, or there wasn't one communicated?

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:35 
User avatar
INFINITE POWAH

Joined: 1st Apr, 2008
Posts: 30217
Mimi wrote:
I couldn't reason see that a really was given. It doesn't read as if the reader writer knew what the given reason was, or there wasn't one communicated?

He called her despicable, then she got some nasty tweets from Stu's followers and then Twitter banned Stu. Then unbanned him.

_________________
http://www.thehomeofawesome.com/
Eagles soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:38 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 66212
Location: Your Mum
Which is the bullshit reason.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:50 
User avatar
INFINITE POWAH

Joined: 1st Apr, 2008
Posts: 30217
Grim... wrote:
Which is the bullshit reason.

They should have just banned him for being a khunt.

_________________
http://www.thehomeofawesome.com/
Eagles soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 14:41 
User avatar
Can't re-member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 52495
Location: Liberty City
Grim... wrote:
Which is the bullshit reason.

In a massive shock, I agree here. His was a rather mild comment and didn't incite anything. Although perhaps he knew it would happen.

Twitter keep getting this wrong all the time. I've seen rape and death threats replied to by "we can't see anything wrong with this tweet". They need to do much better.

_________________
I am currently under construction.
Thank you for your patience.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 15:05 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 19935
Is it decided on by humans or complicators?

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 15:08 
User avatar
Can't re-member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 52495
Location: Liberty City
Mimi wrote:
Is it decided on by humans or complicators?

People. Definitely not complicators.

_________________
I am currently under construction.
Thank you for your patience.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 15:10 
User avatar
INFINITE POWAH

Joined: 1st Apr, 2008
Posts: 30217
Lonewolves wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Is it decided on by humans or complicators?

People. Definitely not complicators.

People usually are complicators, sadly. Particularly on Twitter.

_________________
http://www.thehomeofawesome.com/
Eagles soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 15:11 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 19935
Hmm... I think the problem then is that they need a very definite overhaul of what criteria they use, and if an example comes up tgatvus obviously a banning offence it should not be dismissed because it does not fit current rule criteria, but rather rule criteria should be shaped to fit. But any threats of violence should surely be covered already. Makes no sense.

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:38 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 14101
Location: Oxford
Sturgen previews Indyref II: just when you thought it was safe to go back to the border..

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... conference


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 13:15 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 31834
Kern wrote:
Sturgen previews Indyref II: just when you thought it was safe to go back to the border..

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... conference

IndyRef II: Electric Haggisaloo.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:24 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 14101
Location: Oxford
Waiting at Warsaw Airport for the flight home and noticed that the board outside the Bureau de Change was offering different rates for British and Scottish pounds. I tried to do a quick piece of mental arithmetic to see if I could game this but realised that nobody is likely to accept Scottish notes in the Shire.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:41 
User avatar
gooby pls

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 12277
Location: Shrewsbury, UK
Couldn't you just exchange them for English notes at a bank?

_________________
Mostly pointless witterings of a fool. gazchap.com
Source Design - Graphic Design and Web Design Shropshire


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:55 
User avatar

Joined: 23rd Nov, 2008
Posts: 9521
Location: The Golden Country
Humza Yousaf, SNP Transport Minister.... nicked for driving with no insurance.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/h ... -1-4310904

_________________
Beware of gavia articulata oculos...

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:34 
User avatar
Can't re-member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 52495
Location: Liberty City
Oh dear.

_________________
I am currently under construction.
Thank you for your patience.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 16:08 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44596
Location: West Yorkshire
Cavey wrote:
Humza Yousaf, SNP Transport Minister.... nicked for driving with no insurance.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/h ... -1-4310904



Bradford West still number one but this area is discriminated against

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 14:08 
User avatar

Joined: 23rd Nov, 2008
Posts: 9521
Location: The Golden Country
2017 Poll asked should there be another independence referendum within the next year, 'No' ahead by a whopping 21%

http://whatscotlandthinks.org/questions ... -next-year

No wonder Sturgeon's panicking after having painted herself into a corner over hard Brexit. I notice 'Yes' for indy support has fallen this month, January 2017 again, too - and despite Brexit.

#line">http://whatscotlandthinks.org/questions ... untry#line

Maybe the likes of Kevin Hague and other commentators, with their calm, factual analyses, are making due headway.

_________________
Beware of gavia articulata oculos...

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 14:18 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Joined: 17th Dec, 2008
Posts: 8215
Interesting gap on the second poll.

However on the 'should there be a vote' poll, I wouldn't read too much into the 21% - the argument would be that people who want to be independent wouldn't want a 2017 referendum if they thought they wouldn't get the result they wanted, so the gap there is perhaps small given the significance of the difference on the independence question itself.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 14:22 
User avatar

Joined: 23rd Nov, 2008
Posts: 9521
Location: The Golden Country
Heh. Well, if people who *support* independence don't want a second referendum at any time within the next year - and all this despite Brexit and a sitting Tory government - well, that tells us all we need to know about what even they themselves think of the 'case' they've been making these last few years. Courage of convictions, much?

_________________
Beware of gavia articulata oculos...

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 19:13 
User avatar
Sleepyhead

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 26778
Location: Kidbrooke
Cavey wrote:
Heh. Well, if people who *support* independence don't want a second referendum at any time within the next year - and all this despite Brexit and a sitting Tory government - well, that tells us all we need to know about what even they themselves think of the 'case' they've been making these last few years. Courage of convictions, much?


I'm sure we know of a former video game journalist who could magic you up some sort of reason.

_________________
I've got a bad feeling about this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 22:29 
User avatar

Joined: 23rd Sep, 2010
Posts: 717
Cavey wrote:
2017 Poll asked should there be another independence referendum within the next year, 'No' ahead by a whopping 21%


Well of course not. People on both sides aren't stupid enough to have a referendum at this stage. The SNP have said there's no chance of one in 2017, and that makes sense. They'd be better waiting until we actually know what the "deal" is on Brexit, then they can fight for it using that.

Quote:
No wonder Sturgeon's panicking after having painted herself into a corner over hard Brexit. I notice 'Yes' for indy support has fallen this month, January 2017 again, too - and despite Brexit.

>January 13th.
I'm willing to bet some people are rethinking their opinion of that since May's announcement of her Brexit 'strategy'.

Quote:
Heh. Well, if people who *support* independence don't want a second referendum at any time within the next year - and all this despite Brexit and a sitting Tory government

Because we're likely to have a ton more material to fight with in the next few years thanks to the Tories and their hard brexit plans? Yes, quite. ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 14:05 
User avatar

Joined: 23rd Nov, 2008
Posts: 9521
Location: The Golden Country
Heh.

Quote:
In a period of political intimidation, time has been called on Nicola Sturgeon’s threat to hold a second Scottish independence referendum. Set aside the confusion between access to the single market and staying in parts of the custom union, as Theresa May called for in her speech on the UK’s Brexit aims, it is clear she intends to give up membership of the single market.

Nicola Sturgeon has marched her party to the top of the hill. Where next?

This triggers a threat by Scotland’s first minister made as recently as 10 days ago on the Andrew Marr show that in the event of UK departure from the single market, she would hold a second referendum. She told Marr she “wasn’t bluffing” over her threat, leaving her no choice in the light of May’s declaration.

However, in her first interview since the prime minister’s speech, Sturgeon seemed to step back from the threat. She told the BBC that a Scottish independence vote was “undoubtedly” closer, and sources briefed newspapers that another referendum was “all but inevitable”.

This might best be read as buying some time while hoping that the global reaction to May’s speech also draws attention away from the Scottish question. The reason Sturgeon needs time to reflect is the awkwardness of the situation she has boxed herself into. Her mandate for resisting Brexit stems from the 62% majority in Scotland for staying in the EU in the June 2016 referendum.


https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... snp-leader

... I guess May knows a bluffer when she sees one, as the grown-up, capable and savvy politician she undoubtedly is (whatever one thinks of her politics) - all as distinct from the Toytown SNP shower, Sturgeon included. Too right she's "rethinking her opinion" from 10 days ago now, given that bluff and bullshit have been duly called... man, it must be like shooting fish in a barrel for the Tories. Don't start what you can't finish, huh.

_________________
Beware of gavia articulata oculos...

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 14:06 
User avatar

Joined: 23rd Nov, 2008
Posts: 9521
Location: The Golden Country
As for the rest of the stuff you've posted, Cookie, just think about the implications of what you've said - the case for ScotIndy is weak as at present and/or it would be foolhardy to call a second referendum in present circumstances (I heartily agree btw), precisely because the arguments for it simply do not stack up - and you know they'd lose, probably even more heavily than last time (support has fallen away further since the last vote, as per above poll). The SNP themselves are apparently resorting to spreading misinformation according to respected entrepreneur and columnist Kevin Hague - because if you haven't got a compelling argument, whipping up grievance on the basis of myths is all you're left with?

From Kevin Hague's blog:-

Quote:
The problem with political debate in Scotland is not that people aren’t well informed, it’s that the SNP ensure they’re very well misinformed.

It’s not a sophisticated strategy, but it seems to be an effective one. By using Twitter, official party representatives can basically get away with saying whatever they like by avoiding having to deal with pesky journalists who tend to like to check facts before they report them. On social media, complete lies can be read by tens of thousands of people before they’re exposed and debunked, by which time it’s too late. People seeking to give themselves permission to ignore awkward facts have been satisfied and the tweeter’s mission is accomplished.

Take the example of the Scottish Government’s own GERS figures. When these showed Scotland’s economy being a positive contributor to the UK, they were rightly quoted by the SNP as authoritative statistics. Since the figures started showing Scotland effectively receiving cash from the rest of the UK (roughly £1,700 for every man woman and child in Scotland last year) the figures have instead been cynically and systematically undermined

The SNP and their social media mouth-pieces have been so successful with their campaign of misinformation that, whenever GERS figures are debated now, the following points have to be endlessly repeated: there’s no missing whisky duty, there’s no missing export income, the figures aren’t affected by corporate head-office locations, London infrastructure costs aren’t allocated to Scotland and the figures are not guesswork compiled by HM Treasury, they’re qualified National Statistics compiled and published by the Scottish Government

...

Of course it’s obvious why an SNP MP would want to falsely suggest that Scottish export figures to the UK are over-stated and those to the EU under-stated. One of the gaping holes in the SNP’s argument for Brexit as an independence trigger is the fact that Scotland sells more than four times as much to the rest of the UK as we do to the EU3. This means - if Brexit does turn out to mean UK/EU trade barriers exist - Scotland would risk damaging four times as much trade by ending up on the EU rather than the UK side of any such barriers.

So faced with a clear logical flaw in their argument, this SNP MP resorts to the tried and tested strategy of misrepresenting the facts and spreading misunderstanding. ...


http://chokkablog.blogspot.co.uk/2016/1 ... aghan.html

The bottom line for me is that, whatever the alleged whys and wherefores of an argument - if you resort to cherry picking, deliberate selective quoting of some bits of information but not others (and/or cite out of date information, without correcting such issues when duly called out on it), well, you've clearly lost (IMO).

_________________
Beware of gavia articulata oculos...

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 14:16 
User avatar
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Joined: 18th Apr, 2008
Posts: 11650
Cavey wrote:


The bottom line for me is that, whatever the alleged whys and wherefores of an argument - if you resort to cherry picking, deliberate selective quoting of some bits of information but not others (and/or cite out of date information, without correcting such issues when duly called out on it), well, you've clearly lost (IMO).



How's your argument against global warming going? :wink:

_________________
No, it was a giant robot castle!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 14:20 
User avatar

Joined: 23rd Nov, 2008
Posts: 9521
Location: The Golden Country
Fine thanks; spookily enough there's no sign of any seawater lapping around my ankles as yet, I'm pleased to say (weird, I know). It's really quite pleasant out there in fact; both I and my daughters live to fight another day! Phew! :)
/starts 3.4 litre flat-six petrol engine with twin exhausts
Wrong thread though. ;)

_________________
Beware of gavia articulata oculos...

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 14:38 
User avatar
Can't re-member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 52495
Location: Liberty City
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychol ... projection

_________________
I am currently under construction.
Thank you for your patience.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 14:45 
User avatar

Joined: 23rd Nov, 2008
Posts: 9521
Location: The Golden Country
Yup! That's me! :D

I take solace from my de-catted Harley. Gotta love the smell of unburnt hydrocarbons and "cooking hot" aircooled engines, right? That evocative aroma.... so reminiscent of mis-spent youth. I'll love it 'til I die. :)

_________________
Beware of gavia articulata oculos...

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 14:47 
User avatar
Paws for thought

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 16389
Location: Just Outside That London, England, Europe
Cavey wrote:
Fine thanks, no sign of any seawater lapping around my ankles as yet, I'm pleased to say. It's really quite pleasant out there; both I and my daughters live to fight another day! Cool. :)
/starts 3.4 litre flat-six petrol engine with twin exhausts
Wrong thread though. ;)

So the correct time to do something about it is when it's far too late?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 14:49 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44596
Location: West Yorkshire
Mr Dave wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Fine thanks, no sign of any seawater lapping around my ankles as yet, I'm pleased to say. It's really quite pleasant out there; both I and my daughters live to fight another day! Cool. :)
/starts 3.4 litre flat-six petrol engine with twin exhausts
Wrong thread though. ;)

So the correct time to do something about it is when it's far too late?


There's no point in worrying about something until it actually happens.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 14:49 
User avatar

Joined: 23rd Nov, 2008
Posts: 9521
Location: The Golden Country
Seriously, I'm not discussing it, boys. You know my views, you're welcome to disagree, think I'm a monster or whatevs, I really don't care.
I'm talking about the case for Scottish independence, as apparently presented by the SNP and/or its representatives and/or fan-base. If you want to talk about this other stuff, there's a thread for that I believe. Go fill yer boots with my full blessing. :)

_________________
Beware of gavia articulata oculos...

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 14:50 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 66212
Location: Your Mum
MaliA wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Fine thanks, no sign of any seawater lapping around my ankles as yet, I'm pleased to say. It's really quite pleasant out there; both I and my daughters live to fight another day! Cool. :)
/starts 3.4 litre flat-six petrol engine with twin exhausts
Wrong thread though. ;)

So the correct time to do something about it is when it's far too late?

There's no point in worrying about something until it actually happens.

It's why I've never use condoms!

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 14:51 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44596
Location: West Yorkshire
Grim... wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Fine thanks, no sign of any seawater lapping around my ankles as yet, I'm pleased to say. It's really quite pleasant out there; both I and my daughters live to fight another day! Cool. :)
/starts 3.4 litre flat-six petrol engine with twin exhausts
Wrong thread though. ;)

So the correct time to do something about it is when it's far too late?

There's no point in worrying about something until it actually happens.

It's why I've never use condoms!


What can go wrong?

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 14:52 
User avatar

Joined: 23rd Nov, 2008
Posts: 9521
Location: The Golden Country
Not using condoms one minute, the oceans lapping at your feet the next. Bloody careless, I'd say. :D
Ban this sick filth!

_________________
Beware of gavia articulata oculos...

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 14:58 
User avatar
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Joined: 18th Apr, 2008
Posts: 11650
Cavey wrote:
Fine thanks, no sign of any seawater lapping around my ankles as yet, I'm pleased to say. It's really quite pleasant out there; both I and my daughters live to fight another day! Cool. :)
/starts 3.4 litre flat-six petrol engine with twin exhausts
Wrong thread though. ;)



Ah, yes all of the facts.

Not talking about global warming, merely the hypocrisy of the above statement.

_________________
No, it was a giant robot castle!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 1902 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Vogons and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.