Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 5773 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 14:44 
User avatar
Esoteric

Joined: 12th Dec, 2008
Posts: 11624
Location: On Mars as an anthropologist...
After a bugger load of cutting, modding, making parts, wiring, soldering and wet sanding and buffing my FreeNAS is finished.

Image

Image

Image

Image

_________________
I reject your context and reality, and substitute my own.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:13 
User avatar
Prince of Fops

Joined: 14th May, 2009
Posts: 3524
Mini Fop has had great fun playing games like Monkey Island with her grandad during lockdown, sharing her screen via Zoom.

However, it seems a bit laggy, and they're now keen to play portal.

I believe Steam lets you watch someone play a game - however, would you be able to communicate via voice?

I've never dipped my toes into that side of PC gaming before.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 16:57 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 68047
Location: Your Mum
Findus Fop wrote:
I believe Steam lets you watch someone play a game - however, would you be able to communicate via voice?

Steam Voice Chat is a thing, but you can just use Zoom (or whatever) for voice.

There's always going to be latency, though.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 17:15 
User avatar
Prince of Fops

Joined: 14th May, 2009
Posts: 3524
Grim... wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
I believe Steam lets you watch someone play a game - however, would you be able to communicate via voice?

Steam Voice Chat is a thing, but you can just use Zoom (or whatever) for voice.

There's always going to be latency, though.


Thank you! It just seemed particularly laggy when they were playing samorost over zoom, so figured portal would be even worse


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:38 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 36431
Any suggestions for reasonably priced pc cases? Mine is very old and clunky. No cable management, no 2.5" drive bays.

Up to about £75 I reckon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:41 
User avatar
ugvm'er at heart...

Joined: 4th Mar, 2010
Posts: 21515
I bought this one last year and it has been very good at stopping my PC bits from sitting in a pile on the floor

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:17 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 36431
Trooper wrote:
I bought this one last year and it has been very good at stopping my PC bits from sitting in a pile on the floor

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

Good stuff, but I need more HDD bays


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 13:08 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 15739
I just got this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YQ7HXBD

Seems nicely made and really easy to work in and hide all those cables away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 13:12 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 36431
It's a bit bling for my tastes. Cases have changed since I last looked at them.

We don't seem to be doing DVD drive spaces any more. Not that I need one...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 13:13 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 46298
Location: Cheshire
CD drive?

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 13:17 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 15739
DavPaz wrote:
It's a bit bling for my tastes. Cases have changed since I last looked at them.

We don't seem to be doing DVD drive spaces any more. Not that I need one...
Yeah, I've always had the plainest black boxes so I decided it was time to let my hair down a bit! It's under the desk though and it's really quiet, runs really cool and went together nicely.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 13:24 
User avatar
ugvm'er at heart...

Joined: 4th Mar, 2010
Posts: 21515
DavPaz wrote:
Trooper wrote:
I bought this one last year and it has been very good at stopping my PC bits from sitting in a pile on the floor

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

Good stuff, but I need more HDD bays


My solution to that in the past for SSDs has been bluetack.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 13:29 
SupaMod
User avatar
"Praisebot"

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 16020
Location: Parts unknown
Trooper wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Trooper wrote:
I bought this one last year and it has been very good at stopping my PC bits from sitting in a pile on the floor

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

Good stuff, but I need more HDD bays


My solution to that in the past for SSDs has been bluetack.


I've only been able to get 500gb bluetack. Who's your bluetack guy?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 14:25 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 36431
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Mid-To ... 98031&th=1

This is more my speed. Plenty of HDD spaces. No LEDs!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 14:40 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 20203
Location: shropshire, uk
Daft Kovacs question number 934...

My PC has 2 x 4 GB 1333MHZ DDR3. This means I have two slots free, can I just buy 2 x 4 GB and double my memory?

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 14:55 
User avatar
Excellent Painter

Joined: 30th Apr, 2008
Posts: 6991
Location: Behind you
KovacsC wrote:
Daft Kovacs question number 934...

My PC has 2 x 4 GB 1333MHZ DDR3. This means I have two slots free, can I just buy 2 x 4 GB and double my memory?

Matched pairs? As in buy two 4gb sticks which are matched

_________________
twitter || website
Malibu Stacy. Everybody's favourite back seat driver


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 14:55 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 36431
KovacsC wrote:
Daft Kovacs question number 934...

My PC has 2 x 4 GB 1333MHZ DDR3. This means I have two slots free, can I just buy 2 x 4 GB and double my memory?

Yep.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 15:02 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 20203
Location: shropshire, uk
DBSnappa wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Daft Kovacs question number 934...

My PC has 2 x 4 GB 1333MHZ DDR3. This means I have two slots free, can I just buy 2 x 4 GB and double my memory?

Matched pairs? As in buy two 4gb sticks which are matched


yes I have a matched pair, so just buy another matched pair?

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 15:45 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 36431
KovacsC wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Daft Kovacs question number 934...

My PC has 2 x 4 GB 1333MHZ DDR3. This means I have two slots free, can I just buy 2 x 4 GB and double my memory?

Matched pairs? As in buy two 4gb sticks which are matched


yes I have a matched pair, so just buy another matched pair?

Yep. Make sure you get the same speed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 18:17 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 20203
Location: shropshire, uk
DavPaz wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Daft Kovacs question number 934...

My PC has 2 x 4 GB 1333MHZ DDR3. This means I have two slots free, can I just buy 2 x 4 GB and double my memory?

Matched pairs? As in buy two 4gb sticks which are matched


yes I have a matched pair, so just buy another matched pair?

Yep. Make sure you get the same speed.


That is the 1333mhz bit?

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 19:01 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 36431
Yes, otherwise known as PC3-10600


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 19:52 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 20203
Location: shropshire, uk
Cheers..

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 18:32 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 36431
After my first choice was out of stock, I've ordered the following case

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BH23K53/ ... zFbTARYHNV


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 5773 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Malc, Vogons and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.