Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 5721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:27 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 36124
The quality was ok for the virtual meet. What I would recommend you get is a decent microphone


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:30 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 19890
Location: shropshire, uk
It is just in the wrong place for work.. i try and work on a large screen, so ideally want the cam there..

Ok... what should I look for in a mike

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:40 
User avatar
Paws for thought

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 16724
Location: Just Outside That London, England, Europe
DavPaz wrote:
RTX owners! Have you tried the new RTX version of Quake 2? The first 3 levels are free on Steam



Tried it. Performance was ok. Didn't seem that impressive until I turned off rtx. The difference is notable, but it's polish on top of 20 year old early 3D assets...

Water looks good though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:48 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 46005
Location: Cheshire
KovacsC wrote:

Ok... what should I look for in a mike


For the right amount, they'll be any name you want.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 13:50 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 19890
Location: shropshire, uk
MaliA wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

Ok... what should I look for in a mike


For the right amount, they'll be any name you want.


>:| :D :DD

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 14:07 
User avatar
Hello Hello Hello

Joined: 11th May, 2008
Posts: 12874
Mr Dave wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
RTX owners! Have you tried the new RTX version of Quake 2? The first 3 levels are free on Steam



Tried it. Performance was ok. Didn't seem that impressive until I turned off rtx. The difference is notable, but it's polish on top of 20 year old early 3D assets...

Water looks good though.


Had a quick bash at lunch, it ran better than I was expecting (around 40-45FPS with ray-tracing turned up to max at 1080p), but I wasn't that impressed really, I think part of the problem is that game developers have got so good at other lighting effects over the years, that proper ray-traced elements don't seem that much different, except they come at a massive computational cost.

As for the game itself, well, the less said about that the better, let's just leave it in the past.

So yeah, it held my attention for about 10 minutes.

_________________
The Premium YouTube Fruit Machine Emulation Experience - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth
Only £2 per month! *
* Not really.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 14:14 
SupaMod
User avatar
"Praisebot"

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 15829
Location: Parts unknown
KovacsC wrote:
It is just in the wrong place for work.. i try and work on a large screen, so ideally want the cam there..

Ok... what should I look for in a mike


I use a headset with a mic on. I find that eliminates most of the echo you'll get from using a normal mic in a large room.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 15:27 
User avatar
Esoteric

Joined: 12th Dec, 2008
Posts: 11595
Location: On Mars as an anthropologist...
Yeah I wasn't a huge fan of Quake RTX. I actually bought it, but it soon got very boring.

Control looks amazing in places, but some of it looks very, IDK? "bitty"?

It's DLSS2 I am interested in. It looks great and boosts performance.

_________________
I reject your context and reality, and substitute my own.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 15:41 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 19890
Location: shropshire, uk
TheVision wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
It is just in the wrong place for work.. i try and work on a large screen, so ideally want the cam there..

Ok... what should I look for in a mike


I use a headset with a mic on. I find that eliminates most of the echo you'll get from using a normal mic in a large room.



I spend too much time on calls for that to feel comfortable..

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 18:39 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 36124
Something like this would be an improvement.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microphone-iGO ... r=8-4&th=1


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 20:21 
User avatar
Paws for thought

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 16724
Location: Just Outside That London, England, Europe
Hearthly wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
RTX owners! Have you tried the new RTX version of Quake 2? The first 3 levels are free on Steam



Tried it. Performance was ok. Didn't seem that impressive until I turned off rtx. The difference is notable, but it's polish on top of 20 year old early 3D assets...

Water looks good though.


Had a quick bash at lunch, it ran better than I was expecting (around 40-45FPS with ray-tracing turned up to max at 1080p), but I wasn't that impressed really, I think part of the problem is that game developers have got so good at other lighting effects over the years, that proper ray-traced elements don't seem that much different, except they come at a massive computational cost.

As for the game itself, well, the less said about that the better, let's just leave it in the past.

So yeah, it held my attention for about 10 minutes.

Going back and looking more closely, it's basically the reflections and shadows that have had an upgrade. It's not the kind of thing you could really do with existing hardware. Particularly the shadows.

And say what you will about the game, but at least you don't run out ammo every time you sneeze with your finger vaguely near the gun trigger.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 21:06 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 19890
Location: shropshire, uk
DavPaz wrote:
Something like this would be an improvement.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microphone-iGO ... r=8-4&th=1


Cheers...

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 20:40 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 67817
Location: Your Mum
KovacsC wrote:
I spend too much time on calls for that to feel comfortable..

I highly recommend the Hyper X headset.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00SAYCXWG/ ... REbBRB0MKV

I wore them for about six hours so far today, and will probably have them on for another six hours tonight.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:57 
User avatar
Paws for thought

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 16724
Location: Just Outside That London, England, Europe
Grim... wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
I spend too much time on calls for that to feel comfortable..

I highly recommend the Hyper X headset.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00SAYCXWG/ ... REbBRB0MKV

I wore them for about six hours so far today, and will probably have them on for another six hours tonight.

I also have this. Unless you have a DavPaz sized head, I can't imagine it causing any problems.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 14:37 
User avatar
Participant in dramatic games

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 3891
Location: United Provinces
my son needs a new laptop for school, and we're making it a gaming laptop since he is introducing his savings.. so we're aiming at 700-800 euros... (600-700 pounds these days?)

Thinking about

https://www.coolblue.nl/product/831010/ ... 09hmh.html

or
https://www.coolblue.nl/product/841950/ ... -r585.html

Any ideas if these are good or another recommendations?

_________________
XBL: Romanista WiiU: Romanista77 Gamecenter: Romanista345 3DS 0318 8943 6467
Steam: Romanista345 PSN: Romanista345 Switch: 5098 6135 1325

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 14:55 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 36124
Look at my sweet sleeper build


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 16:27 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 19890
Location: shropshire, uk
Looks like an old nokia phone

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 16:52 
User avatar
Prince of Fops

Joined: 14th May, 2009
Posts: 3308
I think it's meant to. 8210, I'd say (which is officially the best ever Nokia)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:52 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 36124
It was indeed supposed to look like a Nokia phone. I've been trying to pull together a load of crappy old parts to make my son a PC he can do his homework on. Thought I was doing ok with above PC, but I can't get it to connect to the network. Might have to roll it back to Windows 7 to get some working drivers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:09 
User avatar
Prince of Fops

Joined: 14th May, 2009
Posts: 3308
DavPaz wrote:
It was indeed supposed to look like a Nokia phone. I've been trying to pull together a load of crappy old parts to make my son a PC he can do his homework on. Thought I was doing ok with above PC, but I can't get it to connect to the network. Might have to roll it back to Windows 7 to get some working drivers.


The ironies.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:07 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 19890
Location: shropshire, uk
I stupidly ran some work courses in my own PC and must have hit ok too many times without looking.

This allowed corp group polices to be applied to my own PC.

I decided to rebuild as I had not a clue about removing these policies.

All went well, but I noticed this (see pic) had stopped working when I wanted to copy my files to a spare HDD.

There seem to be a lot on amazon, is there a better / different alternative?


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 5721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: devilman, Hearthly, MaliA, Pod People, Vogons and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.