Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 5933 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 119  Next
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 15:26 

Cras wrote:
The problem here is that you said "VR is a fad" when what you should have said is "I don't much like what I've tried of VR"

Golf is fad, Cras. No-one should buy golf clubs. I know this because I don't like it and I'm entitled to my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 15:27 
Excellent Member

The important question though is: how does VR compare to Assassin's Creed Syndicate?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 15:28 

JohnCoffey wrote:
Vorpx converts the game into stereoscopic 3D so you can play it with a controller.

I know exactly what VorPX does. It's shit. A good VR game is not just about having 3D vision.

What you're basically doing is writing off an entire subsection of gaming as a "fad" because of your own shitty experience of it.

That would be akin to you writing off PC gaming on the whole because you tried it once and your GPU set itself on fire and burned down your house. Obviously nonsensical.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but until you actually give it a fair go using actual consumer hardware and not a bloody development kit, don't be surprised when people jump on you for having that opinion.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I fucking hate Mario 64. And Zelda. Guess that means that the Switch is fucked, eh?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 15:29 

GazChap wrote:
Oh, and for what it's worth, I fucking hate Mario 64. And Zelda. Guess that means that the Switch is fucked, eh?

Woah woah woah, I was with you up until here but there I draw the line.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 15:31 
Bad Girl

Mario 64 “is” shit. Mario Odessey is pretty good though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 15:35 

Kris wrote:

The controls for Mario 64 (and Ocarina of Time for that matter) are offensively bad (although I'm judging it by modern standards, I never played it at release) and Zelda's didn't seem much better.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 15:36 

Compared to current standards sure, I can see why you would say it IS shit now. But back in it's day i'd say it was "the shit".

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 15:37 
Esoteric

GazChap wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
Vorpx converts the game into stereoscopic 3D so you can play it with a controller.

I know exactly what VorPX does. It's shit. A good VR game is not just about having 3D vision.

What you're basically doing is writing off an entire subsection of gaming as a "fad" because of your own shitty experience of it.

That would be akin to you writing off PC gaming on the whole because you tried it once and your GPU set itself on fire and burned down your house. Obviously nonsensical.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but until you actually give it a fair go using actual consumer hardware and not a bloody development kit, don't be surprised when people jump on you for having that opinion.

It's actually a lot deeper than that, but of course I spent many days doing research and etc before concluding. I could spend hours and hours explaining it but why bother? the world will still continue on spinning regardless of what I feel.

So, I think my saying that it doesn't appeal to me because it doesn't have the right software is fair enough. BTW it's OK to hate Mario and Zelda (can't fucking stand the latter myself) but Mario 64 was enormous in proper 3D platform games. It was nearly perfect, other than DVS (dodgy view syndrome).

I also don't really like Quake either, but it defined a generation of games.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 15:37 

GazChap wrote:
Kris wrote:

The controls for Mario 64 (and Ocarina of Time for that matter) are offensively bad (although I'm judging it by modern standards, I never played it at release) and Zelda's didn't seem much better.

Posted this before and that little "THIS MESSAGE WAS POSTED BEFORE YOU REPLIED" didn't pop up.

I see your point; controls are shite, did you see the controller though? But I'm talking about gameplay, enjoyability and fun to play.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 15:38 
Excellent Member

JohnCoffey wrote:
So, I think my saying that it doesn't appeal to me because it doesn't have the right software is fair enough.

Indeed it is.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 15:40 

Kris wrote:
controls are shite ... fun to play.

Mutually exclusive IMO.

I had a similar complaint about Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, but I managed to enjoy those anyway because mercifully the shitty controls (where you needed to somehow be capable of pressing 5 buttons at once just to shoot a gun or something) were very rarely needed in my playthroughs.

And don't get me started on the pressure-sensitive buttons. Good idea in principle, fucking terrible execution.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 15:41 

GazChap wrote:
Kris wrote:
controls are shite ... fun to play.

Mutually exclusive IMO.

I had a similar complaint about Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, but I managed to enjoy those anyway because mercifully the shitty controls (where you needed to somehow be capable of pressing 5 buttons at once just to shoot a gun or something) were very rarely needed in my playthroughs.

And don't get me started on the pressure-sensitive buttons. Good idea in principle, fucking terrible execution.

Aren't all buttons pressure sensitive though? :DD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 15:44 

Kris wrote:
Aren't all buttons pressure sensitive though? :DD

The best kind of correct etc. etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 15:46 

I understand what you meant though, like half press = 1 button 3/4 press a different button full press is another button.

I'm quite heavy handed (if you can believe that...) so I agree it's daft, but I understand why they do it "immersion" and what not.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 15:48 

JohnCoffey wrote:
If it can get some killer A+ quality titles on it I may upgrade. If I can play seated.

I missed this in all the kerfuffle.

What do you mean by A+ quality? Graphics? Because if so, why should that matter? It's all about the gameplay experience, and most VR titles have that in spades. Take Eleven: Table Tennis VR, for example. Graphically it's terrible by modern standards and looks a bit like someone's just thrown together a load of assets in Unity, but it almost perfectly replicates the feeling of playing a game of table tennis.

There are loads of games available in the VR space that can be played seated. The Oculus store even has it as a filter.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 15:54 

Kris wrote:
I understand what you meant though, like half press = 1 button 3/4 press a different button full press is another button.

In MGS2 (and possibly 3, although they may have realised the error of their ways by then) you slightly pushed a button (Square I think) to get your gun out and aim it.

At that point, you could then either shoot by pushing the button the rest of the way, or put your gun away by letting the button go.

But, because there was barely any travel on those face buttons, what you ended up doing most of the time was just getting your gun out and shooting straight away which gave your position away most of the time and got you caught.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 15:57 
Comfortably Dumb

Kris wrote:

I'm quite heavy handed (if you can believe that...) so I agree it's daft, but I understand why they do it "immersion" and what not.

Mad Maestro had a whole game around the functionality where you had to conduct music with varying degrees of enthusiasm (with the colours representing how hard to press the button).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 16:18 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Kris wrote:
Posted this before and that little "THIS MESSAGE WAS POSTED BEFORE YOU REPLIED" didn't pop up.

Unrelated to the conversation, but that happens if you use the "Quick reply" box at the bottom of the main page, rather than hitting the reply or quote button.

Maybe because it has to be QUICK QUICK QUICK? Dunno.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 16:19 

Mystery solved.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 22:47 
Esoteric

GazChap wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
If it can get some killer A+ quality titles on it I may upgrade. If I can play seated.

I missed this in all the kerfuffle.

What do you mean by A+ quality? Graphics? Because if so, why should that matter? It's all about the gameplay experience, and most VR titles have that in spades. Take Eleven: Table Tennis VR, for example. Graphically it's terrible by modern standards and looks a bit like someone's just thrown together a load of assets in Unity, but it almost perfectly replicates the feeling of playing a game of table tennis.

There are loads of games available in the VR space that can be played seated. The Oculus store even has it as a filter.

You know, like a AAA title that may make every one sit up and pay attention. Whilst table tennis does appeal to me (because I used to be very good, still got my Nittaku bat as it goes) it's still very simple. Oh, and of course include a sitting option.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 23:13 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

GazChap wrote:

The BBC have broadcast pitch-side VR views of all of the World Cup games they've covered this tournament.

The BBC also broadcast Wimbledon one year in 3D for 3D tellies. I watched one of the matches.

I've never liked tennis. It was shit.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that with you all.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:29 

JohnCoffey wrote:
You know, like a AAA title that may make every one sit up and pay attention.

OK, Lone Echo then.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:30 
Esoteric

GazChap wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
You know, like a AAA title that may make every one sit up and pay attention.

OK, Lone Echo then.

I've never heard of it. So either they haven't advertised it correctly or it's just bad luck. Must say, no one I know with a VR helmet has even mentioned it. Must look into it.

I think the biggest problem is how many times I have been burned before by jumping onto a tech wagon. I see some one mentioned 3D. Yeah, still got the two sets of active glasses in the drawer, never fitted the batteries. Something else I paid for (twice) and never used. I also think being wireless would really help VR.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:38 

JohnCoffey wrote:
I've never heard of it. So either they haven't advertised it correctly or it's just bad luck. Must say, no one I know with a VR helmet has even mentioned it. Must look into it.

Because the stuff you don't know about ain't worth knowing, right?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:42 
Esoteric

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:

Because the stuff you don't know about you don't know about. Would have been a good thing if I'd been told first. But I haven't. Not seen any reviews of it, not even heard it mentioned in passing. Nothing.

Any way, I would have thought my admission of "Must look into it" would kind of nullify the "ain't worth knowing" part.

Is this going to continue? do you want to accuse me of anything whilst you are here dude? like stealing Windows? and then me completely verifying my turn of events?. Didn't that make you cringe just a little bit? So come on, say it again that you don't like me etc etc. Let's have it out of the way.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 13:05 

JohnCoffey wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:

Because the stuff you don't know about you don't know about. Would have been a good thing if I'd been told first. But I haven't. Not seen any reviews of it, not even heard it mentioned in passing. Nothing.
Let me try again. How does "I've never heard of it" lead to "they haven't advertised it correctly"? Are you proclaiming that your knowledge of the gaming market is so thorough, so world-encompassing, is your arrogance so great that the only possible reason you can imagine that you've never heard of this game is because it wasn't "advertised correctly"?

Quote:
Is this going to continue?
Maybe, if you keep saying bloody stupid things.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 13:19 

JohnCoffey wrote:
do you want to accuse me of anything whilst you are here dude? like stealing Windows? and then me completely verifying my turn of events?. Didn't that make you cringe just a little bit? So come on, say it again that you don't like me etc etc. Let's have it out of the way.

Is that what you remember from that conversation? Because what actually happened was that Cras, Grim... and I all said "Microsoft OEM keys are forbidden by their TOS from being sold to you for a tenner, and we don't give a shit if you've done that but you probably shouldn't be surprised if it gives you gyp later, especially as you appear to have installed a cracking tool to stop the key check anyway."

Then you stopped replying. And somehow thought you had "verified your turn of events."

So no, it doesn't make me cringe.

Look, the history is all here:
https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... 16#p985016
https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... 21#p985021
https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... 26#p985026

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 13:30 
Esoteric

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Maybe, if you keep saying bloody stupid things.

I am afraid that as long as I am alive that is going to happen. It's who I am. Not only do I say stupid things but I have been known to do stupid things also. I can come across as rude, arrogant, brash, inappropriate and god knows what else. However, most of that is just really bad social skills and saying things that only really make sense to me.

At 44 years old I am afraid that is not going to change. If anything it has gotten worse, since the Bipolar started to turn very ugly in my late 30s. Not only do I have all of those issues but I have also been to death's door wishing it would open. So any inhibitions I had before are now pretty much gone because when you really don't want to be alive any more nothing you say or do can make things worse.

However, given your main critique of me has always been that I steal games? well, let me just stop you there. I have cupboards full of games. I have been collecting since the mid 90s and still have all of my games from then and now. I have an extensive Steam list, and I don't do stealing (because I have no criminal record nor stole anything to be caught with). I could spend all day taking photos and proving it but I feel I shouldn't have to. Sure, there were a couple of times where I said I was going to try before I buy but the only mistake I made there was just being to honest and not being sneaky like neuro typicals like to do. You know? the whole living a lie thing where you walk around hating everything but doing it any way to succeed. I have no interest in that, at all.

I probably have a low mental age, given I still like to do all of the things a child does. I know this, I accept it. I do have a nice high IQ but I am fucked if I even know how it all works. I just do the test and get a high score. What I do know is before I walked out of school at 15 I was in the top level of maths but even though I could do it I had absolutely no idea what was going on. A part of the mind I could not access? IDK. Either way the depression was too great so I walked. Everything else I have taught myself by reading and so on.

What I will say is that whatever you think of me is just wasting your own energy and time. You can hate me if you like, I've found plenty of those sorts over the years. However, given you are some one clearly quite intelligent then you should quickly realise that being nasty to me won't get you anywhere. I won't care, and it won't sink in, and I will just continue on being me. When I am AFK I am doing family stuff, hanging out with my new friend (who also suffers chronic depression) and generally trying to enjoy myself whilst I feel happy. When I am not happy you won't see me at all, bonus.

15 years ago? I would have savoured your dislike for me and I would have wound you up as much as I could. However, at least that part of me has either matured or the pills are doing their job and really I couldn't give a toss either way now. Seriously, I don't even pass it a second thought.

Now of course that is pointing out all of my faults and flaws. You really don't need to waste your energy doing that either dude, I know. Even my psych reports say "is very willing to feel better and take any medication necessary" meaning that I had to go into a very passive state of mind before I could get help, and thus help myself. "The mirror of life" I called it. Took a look, didn't like what looked back at me so I checked myself into the mental health system and for better or worse have been there ever since. That's more than many I have met have been able to do. They are either in denial, or just continue on being vile and pushing people away. I did not want that (because that is where I would have ended up).

However, there are good things about me too. I love gaming and am very passionate about it, I am generally quite kind to people and very loyal. I love to chat also, even if sometimes I do get very confused. And I mean, very confused. The more some one attacks me or pushes me the more it just confuses me to a point where I really don't know what the fuck is going on. Fight or flight, I usually take flight. Never used to be that way, though.

Oh, and the older I get the worse it gets. That said statistically many with Bipolar commit when they are in their 40s, so you never know you may even get lucky.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 13:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

JohnCoffey wrote:
However, given your main critique of me has always been that I steal games?

whut

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 13:34 
Bad Girl

I’ve never heard of Lone Echo.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 13:37 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Satsuma wrote:

It looks really fucking good. No PSVR though, sadly.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 13:38 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

It looks really fucking good. No PSVR though, sadly.

Take that, console plebs!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 13:44 
Paws for thought

JohnCoffey wrote:
I also think being wireless would really help VR.

Vive can do completely wireless. It's an extra cost, but it's an option.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 13:46 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

You've got things like Occulus Go, too. It's not as good, but it's interesting, to say the least.

Does the Vive wireless use a battery pack?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 13:46 
Hibernating Druid

Satsuma wrote:

It's a duck quacking.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 13:48 
ugvm'er at heart...

I've never heard of Lone Echo either. Not sure what that proves though...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 13:49 
Hibernating Druid

I've heard of it now.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 13:53 
Bad Girl

I’ve watched some videos of Lone Echo and it hasn’t blown my nuts off. Lots of *yawn* fixing machines in space by the looks of it.

I like the look of that VR game where you rip robots heads off instead. Robo summats.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 13:56 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

How ironic that you can't remember ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 13:59 
Bad Girl

Hah.

Robo Recall, twas it’s name. PSVR should get that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 14:32 
Paws for thought

Grim... wrote:
You've got things like Occulus Go, too. It's not as good, but it's interesting, to say the least.

Does the Vive wireless use a battery pack?

Yeah. There is an official one coming, but a friend has one of these
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/tpcast- ... t-for-ulti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 15:41 
Esoteric

Grim... wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
However, given your main critique of me has always been that I steal games?

whut

It all started when I said I was going to "borrow" STALKER COP. Due to the first two being bug ridden messes I was unwilling to cough over £25 so downloaded it first. Until that point Doc and I got on quite well, but that seemed to piss him off. One thing I do have on my side is very good long term memory.

Now most people would have just "borrowed" it and not said anything, but I tend to be quite honest and quite open about it. Which only served to piss him off. It wasn't deliberate. The only things I try and do deliberately are good things. However, sometimes I do piss people off and there is nothing I can do about it at all. It is just who I am, and what happens. It's not just here it is everywhere. Which played a large part in me developing agoraphobia and other problems I now suffer from by deliberately trying to avoid *any* conflict whatsoever and thus closing myself off from humanity and cutting the cord. The only people I saw for about four years was very close family and my docs and psychs. That is it, no other contact apart from the internet. Which of course my ex wife stopped me doing for five years or there abouts.

I think a lot of these problems exist because people really just don't understand how things are at this (points to himself) end of the keyboard. If they could see me and talk to me? it would be much better.

I know that my issues are very complex and thus very difficult to understand. Life is like that. My father died when I was 7, and when my ex wife's father died when she was 46 she lost it. She said "You have no idea how I feel !" and I said "Yes I fucking do, I went through it at 7. Only I had only spent 7 years with my father and then to top it all off I got bullied at school and called a bastard every time some one lost an argument".

However, that was learned from direct experience. If you have no experience of total insanity (because believe me I have been there) then I don't expect people to get it. At all. However, it would be nice to have some patience and you know? not being made fun of.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 15:50 
ugvm'er at heart...

It might be worth noting though, that your understanding of someone else being pissed may be off kilter due to your disability. I expect you find it difficult to read others intentions and understandings at times, and have a prevalence to assume the worst based on past experiences.

What you thought was DoccyG being pissed off with you, may only have been your perception, it may not have been the case.

People are difficult to read and deal with in the best of situations, so I have sympathy for you dude. Try not to take things to heart so much, if possible :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 15:54 

You may claim to have "very good long term memory", but I have an infallible post history. Here's the thread and here's what was said
https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... 6&p=405687

JohnCoffey wrote:
Any way. I read reviews of Clear Sky and it seemed it was just more of the same. Fast forward to a few months ago and Pripyat was released as a cobbled/converted Russki to Pinglish (pig English) conversion. I downloaded an evaluation copy and installed it, but it just made no sense and my days of playing foreign games and spending time figuring out what's going on are over, I simply don't have the patience any more.

Then I noticed that the proper English version has now been completed and released, and reviews seemed far more favourable than Clear Sky so I grabbed an eval copy and installed it.

Plissken wrote:
They are calling them evaluation copies now?

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Plissken wrote:
Some people are, clearly.

JohnCoffey wrote:
That mission was immensely satisfying. If there are more like that I see very happy times ahead with this game. More screenies later as sadly I forgot to load fraps.
JohnCoffey wrote:
The more I play this the more it seems like a rock hard Fallout 3 knock off. Which is a very good thing I guess.

Sounds like you've already evaluated it then?

Zio wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Plissken wrote:
Some people are, clearly.

Don't want to get into debate but.... gngh!.... it's not an evalutation copy, it's a pirate copy, and even if you do intend to buy it later you're still contributing to the pirate copy download figures and justifying things like that shitty McShit Ubisoft DRM policy.

Yoda said it best: "Buy, or do not buy. There is no evaluate. Unless they released an official demo."

AND HE WAS THE WISEST JEDI OF THEM ALL.

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Call a spade a spade, I say. When I download things illegally I don't dress it up in fancy langauge.

There's another half dozen posts from other people. Somehow, out of that, you latched on to my reaction as objectionable, despite the fact I wasn't the first to reply and I didn't have the most to say.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 15:56 
Esoteric

Trooper wrote:
It might be worth noting though, that your understanding of someone else being pissed may be off kilter due to your disability. I expect you find it difficult to read others intentions and understandings at times, and have a prevalence to assume the worst based on past experiences.

What you thought was DoccyG being pissed off with you, may only have been your perception, it may not have been the case.

People are difficult to read and deal with in the best of situations, so I have sympathy for you dude. Try not to take things to heart so much, if possible :)

Everything is off kilter with me dude. Humour, jokes, social situations etc. It's like I am tuned to a different frequency to the entire world. Thankfully some of what I say and do makes sense to others, and once again I have forged a friendship with a guy with chronic depression. Of course, neither of us knew about the other's ailments but that is life I guess? you tend to hang with people you feel comfortable with and vice versa. I just hope and pray he stays alive and well, as I really don't think I have it in me to go through another suicide. Two of my friends are gone from that now. I don't want sympathy either tbh. I hated being in a wheelchair as a kid (I got ran over) because of the attention it got me. I just want to be able to say "Look, some if not all of what I say ain't gonna make much sense to you" and people say "Oh, OK".

It would take weeks to study the illnesses I have, and even longer to understand all of the small nuances like the habits and etc. I don't expect people to do that as tbh? I wouldn't lol.

Doc. What you just showed me is exactly as I remembered the situation. Remember - as I remembered, not you. Every one reacts to situations differently, and feels differently from them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 13:59 
Comfortably Dumb

DavPaz wrote:
Got my steam link today. That's a lot of hardware for £2. Worth it for the lovely flat ethernet cable alone :)

My Steam Link and Controller arrived today. Serves me right for dawdling over the ordering of it as I guess they ran short of stock for a while.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 0:57 
Excellent Member

As much as I can't be fucked, I should probably upgrade my PCs main SSD drive given that I've now run out of space to install games on it about three times. I'm currently running 120Gb and don't need a massive amount more than that so I'm more than happy to settle for doubling the storage to 240GB. A quick search on HUKD threw this up for £42; is it any good:

https://www.ebuyer.com/795725-palit-uv- ... uvs-ssd240

SSD drives kind of confuse me with all their talk of TRIM and other such nonsense so I genuinely don't know if one is as good as the another; or if there are non-obvious pitfalls to avoid here.

Also, if I do pick a new drive up, is it worth trying to do some kind of cloning malarkey; or am I better of just installing Windows fresh and not fucking around?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:57 
Hello Hello Hello

SATA SSDs are all pretty much of a muchness now, just get the cheapest one that matches the capacity you want. (AFAIK all the NAND chips and controllers come out of the same few places anyway, regardless of brand.)

The ones to watch out for are M2 SSDs that are SATA rather than NVMe. (SATA is markedly slower than NVMe. Although even there, most people would be hard pushed to tell the difference, most of the time.)

You don't have to worry about TRIM or anything like that these days, Windows and the drives between them are smart enough to know what to do, and what not to do, with them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:55 
Excellent Painter

Is there any particular reason why RAM is still so expensive?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:10 
Hello Hello Hello

I believe it's nothing more complex than demand outstripping supply, although the big three manufacturers have been talking about increasing production for a while. (Three manufacturers between them effectively control the market.)

Some folks think there's something a bit more sinister going on though - https://fossbytes.com/dram-price-fixing ... expensive/

Quote:
Samsung has already been charged with artificially increasing DRAM prices from 1999 through 2002, which they settled in 2005. Additionally, Hynix was hit with a price-fixing conspiracy the same year. Typically, companies have to maintain a favorable product cost to stay competitive in the market. But in the case of the Big DRAM Three, they have all benefited from increasing the cost of their DRAM products by an amount that is disproportionate to the (negative) growth in demand over the same period. This is counterintuitive, especially when these companies are supposed to be competing with each other.

Reply to topic  [ 5933 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 119  Next