Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 5933 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 119  Next
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 16:53 
UltraMod

I have no idea what you're talking about, to be honest. TL;DR.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 20:38 
Unpossible!

that may, in fact, be the longest forum post in the world... ever!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 20:44 
Esoteric

I don't think it matches my rant over GTAIV but yes, it's classic beans and waffle I will grant you.

What I was trying to say to Myp but messed up royally was had I left out a single shred my Nvidia buddies would have completely discounted it. It's the old ostrich in the sand thing. So I left nothing to chance. Infact it seems I did leave one thing to chance because when my 285 owning friend read it he had this to say -

Quote:
Dude playing that Morocco level is no way to demonstrate how the game runs. That's cheating, load up Battersea at night.

So I did and sent him the video haha.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 13:00 

Sorry John, TL:DR. You were impressed with your new Radeon though, I take it?

It turns out I did indeed have a faulty motherboard. ASUS Tech Support asked me to return it and I got a replacement at the weekend, which works fine. Dissappointingly, I can't get the kind of hefty overclock out of it that I've heard plenty of other people have been, but I suspect that this may be down to my case not having decent enough cooling. Whatever, I now have a Intel Core i5-750 CPU running perfectly at a relaxed 3.2GHz and it totally knocks the shite out of the PC it's replaced in the benchmarks I've run. I could probably get a fair bit more out of it, but why bother?

However, the last two weeks of getting that fucking thing to work have been rather stressful and so the missus has once again questioned why I don't just sell my PC either as a complete unit, or as seperate parts, on eBay and buy myself a prebuilt system from a reputable company with a decent warranty. I've done a little research and I reckon I ought to be able to get most of my money back on the computer by selling it (I shopped around for the parts to get the best prices in the first place), so... well... it appears I may have ordered an Alienware m15x laptop. Normally I wouldn't bother with an AW since they;re so overpriced, but this one with the spec I've ordered actually seems very reasonable (though I wouldn't say 'cheap').

I've also had a look to see how much I'd get for that on eBay and it seems that I could pretty much get my money back on it if the laptop arrived and I decided not to keep it. So that's what I'm doing, I'll take delivery of the machine, benchmark it and if it runs similarily to my PC I'll keep it and flog the PC. I may do that even if it's not quite as good, simply because it'll be a proper computer with a proper warranty.

For JC's benefit, the spec I've ordered is: Core i7 720QM @ 1.6 GHz (don't laugh, I've read reviews and it's meant to be an amazing CPU), 4GB RAM, GeForce GTX260M 1GB, 500GB HDD and all the various trimmings. Cost just under £1300. It's meant to be quite something in terms of build quality, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 13:03 
SavyGamer

Glad you are happy with the end result :hat:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 13:05 
Hibernating Druid

Zio wrote:
Cost just the same as a nice Mac. It's meant to be quite something in terms of build quality, unless you compare it to Apple.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 13:07 
SavyGamer

Oooh:
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2010/02/01 ... cron_25nm/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 13:10 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Zio wrote:
I could probably get a fair bit more out of it, but why bother?

The frames, man, the frames!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 13:12 
Unpossible!

JC, I settled in with a nice cup of tea* and a biscuit* and read through your epic post on the last page.

Your findings indicate one of 2 things. Either:

The ATi card is an unsung hero

or

The Nvidia card is a bag-o-shite

* Can of Red Bull
* Chicken Sandwich

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 13:13 

Zardoz wrote:
Zio wrote:
Cost just the same as a nice Mac. It's meant to be quite something in terms of build quality, unless you compare it to Apple.

Only it really doesn't. I looked on Apple's website because I owned Macs for years (iMac G3, Power Mac G4, Powerbook G4 (which I still own, though it no worky too good), Intel iMac), so naturally I was very tempted to jump straight back into Steve Jobs' welcoming embrace. But even the most expensive 15" Macbook Pro has nothing like the spec on this Alienware and it costs £1900!

It saddens me to say it, but Apple can keep fucking off for a bit longer as far as I'm concerned. I do so love their computers too. :(

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 13:15 

DavPaz wrote:
The Nvidia card is a bag-o-shite

:this: probably. I have the same Nvidia card that JC had and the performance on it is not as ZOMG! as I'd been lead to believe.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 13:18 
Esoteric

Zio wrote:
Sorry John, TL:DR. You were impressed with your new Radeon though, I take it?

It turns out I did indeed have a faulty motherboard. ASUS Tech Support asked me to return it and I got a replacement at the weekend, which works fine. Dissappointingly, I can't get the kind of hefty overclock out of it that I've heard plenty of other people have been, but I suspect that this may be down to my case not having decent enough cooling. Whatever, I now have a Intel Core i5-750 CPU running perfectly at a relaxed 3.2GHz and it totally knocks the shite out of the PC it's replaced in the benchmarks I've run. I could probably get a fair bit more out of it, but why bother?

However, the last two weeks of getting that fucking thing to work have been rather stressful and so the missus has once again questioned why I don't just sell my PC either as a complete unit, or as seperate parts, on eBay and buy myself a prebuilt system from a reputable company with a decent warranty. I've done a little research and I reckon I ought to be able to get most of my money back on the computer by selling it (I shopped around for the parts to get the best prices in the first place), so... well... it appears I may have ordered an Alienware m15x laptop. Normally I wouldn't bother with an AW since they;re so overpriced, but this one with the spec I've ordered actually seems very reasonable (though I wouldn't say 'cheap').

I've also had a look to see how much I'd get for that on eBay and it seems that I could pretty much get my money back on it if the laptop arrived and I decided not to keep it. So that's what I'm doing, I'll take delivery of the machine, benchmark it and if it runs similarily to my PC I'll keep it and flog the PC. I may do that even if it's not quite as good, simply because it'll be a proper computer with a proper warranty.

For JC's benefit, the spec I've ordered is: Core i7 720QM @ 1.6 GHz (don't laugh, I've read reviews and it's meant to be an amazing CPU), 4GB RAM, GeForce GTX260M 1GB, 500GB HDD and all the various trimmings. Cost just under £1300. It's meant to be quite something in terms of build quality, etc.

congrats :) Alienwares laptops are awesome. Even Custom Pc said so (mentioning of course the price.. but quality does come at a price).

I'm aware of the funny clock speeds of laptop cpus. In honesty its not all about the clock any more. It's much more about the gpu. the 260 is more than adequate (god listen to the new me....).

In other news the irresponsible side of me is back with an air of caution.. Basically I'm going to ask Videocardshop to send me a second 5770 and credit me the rest. Then I found this motherboard

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?M ... TA2%20R3.0

Now its quite old (2007) but was the first AMD based Crossfire board. I emailed Assrock and asked them about 5 series crossfire and they replied saying that not only has it been tested and confirmed working but it also has a brand new bios update 4 days old. The seal on the deal? £32 delivered for that board.

So I think with the wonder that is the 5 series I am going to give Crossfire a try. It won't cost me anything and I wont be getting rid of the Crosshair :)

Dav, it's a bit of both. All of the older gen GPUs are a bag of shite due to the ridiculous temps they run at. It's practically impossible to use one without killing it eventually. I know what I wrote down was incredibly long winded but it was supposed to be. It wasn't there to be casual reading for a forum it was there to help any one who might be considering getting a new GPU. So I made sure I laid out everything that someone could possibly want to know to save them the three or so days of looking all around the net and doing research. Also stuck in a video to seal the deal so you can actually see it actually running a game. Something that reviewers never do. Benchmarks smenchmarks. They mean fuck all in real world terms :)

Zio. Indeed. I was actually dissapointed when I fitted that 280. I was expecting an all out wank sesh, but what I got was actually not anywhere near as impressive as the look and price at launch should have done.Yes it ran everything I threw at it but here I am 7 months later with a card almost equally as capable, running at half the temps, half the size, with half the power consumption and noise and £120 full RRP at launch.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 13:27 
Hibernating Druid

Zio wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
Zio wrote:

Only it really doesn't. I looked on Apple's website because I owned Macs for years (iMac G3, Power Mac G4, Powerbook G4 (which I still own, though it no worky too good), Intel iMac), so naturally I was very tempted to jump straight back into Steve Jobs' welcoming embrace. But even the most expensive 15" Macbook Pro has nothing like the spec on this Alienware and it costs £1900!

It saddens me to say it, but Apple can keep fucking off for a bit longer as far as I'm concerned. I do so love their computers too. :(

I don't game with my Mac so a lot of the spec is fluff to me, if you're comparing individual performance figures for the components compared to the price Apple will always look like much less value compared to a PC, but I highly value how they're put together and how the OS is written specifically to get the most from the hardware. I paid £1299 for my MacbookPro over a year ago and it doth rock mightily for the purposes for which it was bought and has, most importantly, it has just worked.

And yes, Steve Jobs cock tastes like honey roast chicken.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 13:28 
Esoteric

Crossfire affirmative.. Just phoned Videoshop. 280 confirmed faulty issued £185 credit lolol

So I ordered a second 5770 haha.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 13:54 

Zardoz wrote:
I don't game with my Mac so a lot of the spec is fluff to me, if you're comparing individual performance figures for the components compared to the price Apple will always look like much less value compared to a PC, but I highly value how they're put together and how the OS is written specifically to get the most from the hardware. I paid £1299 for my MacbookPro over a year ago and it doth rock mightily for the purposes for which it was bought and has, most importantly, it has just worked.

You'll never see me criticise anyone for choosing a Mac over a PC as I think they make wonderful computers, especially the laptops. My Powerbook G4 is now over 6 years old and all that's wrong with it is a fucked battery and a (relatively) ancient hard drive - if it was worth spending the cash on replacing both it would still be a very useable computer. If I hadn't gone quite so mental with the Steam Christmas Sale, I'd probably have gone for one of the cheaper 15" Macbook Pros as I tend to think they're worth the premium price - but I'm not spending nearly 2 grand on a machine that'll struggle with half the games I own.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 13:56 
Paws for thought

Zio wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

You'll never see me criticise anyone for choosing a Mac over a PC

You'll see me do it, usually at the point they moan some piece of software isn't available on a mac.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 13:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Zardoz wrote:
I paid £1299 for my MacbookPro

/winces

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 14:00 
Hibernating Druid

Mr Dave wrote:
Zio wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

You'll see me do it, usually at the point they moan some piece of software isn't available on a mac.

Is that the same point where they boot into windows you mean? :metul:

@Zio Obviously I am in no way slagging your decision to buy a PC, especially if it's gaming that it'll be used for mainly. You scrubber :kiss:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 14:01 
Hibernating Druid

Grim... wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
I paid £1299 for my MacbookPro

/winces

Yeah, that's like 1 and a half surveys.

Sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 14:03 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

The initial outlay is quite large, but Macs tend to hold their value quite well, don't they?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 14:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It might well be, if I didn't have a mate that does them for 'cost'*.

*Beer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 14:06 
Hibernating Druid

I thought you said you lost £800 due to the sellers changing their mind?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 14:07 
Esoteric

Malabar Front wrote:
The initial outlay is quite large, but Macs tend to hold their value quite well, don't they?

Yes. But so do Alienwares. I've seen dead P4 machines about five years old sell for almost £300. Dead as in broken, IE - no worky Donald Ducked.

Until the recent mass surge of desktops flooding Ebay (due to their switch to those new Mini Me Dellienwares) the desktops also commanded top dollar.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 14:16 
Paws for thought

Zardoz wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Zio wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

Is that the same point where they boot into windows you mean? :metul:

More cost and more hassle.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 14:17 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Zardoz wrote:
I thought you said you lost £800 due to the sellers changing their mind?

Aye, that was other stuff too, though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 14:19 

Malabar Front wrote:

Usually, provided Apple don't suddenly decide to totally change the hardware architecture of their line-up of machines. For instance: changing to the Intel x86 architecture, making a laptop with a Power PC G4 processor suddenly worthless! :p

Yeah, the Alienwares really do seem to hold their value. I suspect this may have something to do with trying to order one from Dell. Paying top dollar for a second-hand laptop could well be worthwhile if it means you're buying it from a human being that might, y' know, pop it in the post for you fairly sharpish. It's so far only taken Dell 72 hours to make their 'near instant' decision regarding the payment method I chose for the laptop. Fantastic sales service!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 14:25 
Esoteric

Zio wrote:
Malabar Front wrote:

Usually, provided Apple don't suddenly decide to totally change the hardware architecture of their line-up of machines. For instance: changing to the Intel x86 architecture, making a laptop with a Power PC G4 processor suddenly worthless! :p

Yeah, the Alienwares really do seem to hold their value. I suspect this may have something to do with trying to order one from Dell. Paying top dollar for a second-hand laptop could well be worthwhile if it means you're buying it from a human being that might, y' know, pop it in the post for you fairly sharpish. It's so far only taken Dell 72 hours to make their 'near instant' decision regarding the payment method I chose for the laptop. Fantastic sales service!

Wait for the fucking phasing. If anything will anger you, tease you and wind you up it'll be that.

Thankfully they seem capable of actually supplying laptops. Now if only one could say the same about their new desktops....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 14:27 
Excellent Member

I would just like to say that even though in the end I caved and guiltily bought my computer from Nazi's-are-Us I'm very happy with it, and I :luv: my 4850 1gig GFX card. It's the business. The only compromise I've had to do in a game so far is Crysis at 1680xthingymabob instead of 1920xwhatchamacallit as it nips along at that lower setting, but chugs a little on the higher when things get tricky. Other than that it's all completely peachy. The card stays cool at between 32 and 42 no matter what I throw at it too. And (touch wood) I've had no problems whatsoever with the computer in the four months I've had it so far. Not one glitch. (Touches wood again.)

Now off to the coffee shop to do some writing.

On a moleskin notepad, v1.0, the sort Hemingway used. Yeah. LOOK impressed.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 14:30 

Mr Dave wrote:

Without wishing to go down the dark road of Mac Vs PC debate, I have to say that this is largely nonsense. There's very little reason to ever need to invoke Boot Camp on a Mac, unless it's games you'll be wanting, and even then most of the big titles get ported over to OS X fairly quickly these days. Virtualy everything I've ever wanted to do on a computer is entirely do-able on a Mac, in OS X.

And even if you do need to use Boot Camp, it's one of the most hassle-free experiences you could ask for. The Boot Camp application on OS X makes a FAT32/NTFS partition of whichever size you want on your active hard drive via a simple slider, without the need for reformatting or anything. It then burns you a CD with all the Windows drivers you need, which install absolutely effortlessly once you're in Windows.

Seriously, installing and using Windows via Boot Camp on a Mac is actually much less hassle than just doing it on an actual PC. Apple are absolutely the grand masters at user friendly design.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 14:32 

NervousPete wrote:
I would just like to say that even though in the end I caved and guiltily bought my computer from Nazi's-are-Us I'm very happy with it, and I :luv: my 4850 1gig GFX card. It's the business. The only compromise I've had to do in a game so far is Crysis at 1680xthingymabob instead of 1920xwhatchamacallit as it nips along at that lower setting, but chugs a little on the higher when things get tricky. Other than that it's all completely peachy. The card stays cool at between 32 and 42 no matter what I throw at it too. And (touch wood) I've had no problems whatsoever with the computer in the four months I've had it so far. Not one glitch. (Touches wood again.)

Nobody can run Crysis well Pete, so don't worry. It's the sort of game Skynet would struggle running at top settings.

Oooh, moleskin! I have one of their notepads for my college course + random scribblings. Moleskin are basically the Apple of the stationery world!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 14:36 
Esoteric

NervousPete wrote:

Crysis chugs no matter what Pete. It even chugged on my 280 at a supposed 48fps min. It's just early DX10 code letting it down. Warhead had less enemies and less going on so was far nippier (if that's a word). If you have reached the cavern part with the fancy lights and swinging shadows you will know the achilles heel. I think it was utterly jaw dropping but poorly optimised..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 14:40 
Excellent Member

Zio wrote:
Oooh, moleskin! I have one of their notepads for my college course + random scribblings. Moleskin are basically the Apple of the stationery world!

Damn straight they are! I love my moleskin, and it gets attention from the ladies as well. They last a surprisingly long time as well, I was a bit cagey about laying out the money for one (£10 for a notepad?!) but this one's lasted for an age and feels lovely to write on, the texture of paper on hand is most nice, and the feeling of quiet satisfaction as you flip one open - oooh. All it lacks is some sort of quiet chiming noise when opened.

Just looked at the OCuk site and my computer now costs £110 more than it did when I bought it a few months ago, with the same system specs! So I win there. Just remembered that my card is a 4870, not a 4850 - I think. I'm not sure. How do I check, it just says '4800 series' when I look.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 14:42 
Excellent Member

Oh, and just had a look at the temp setting, 27c for this card! I don't think mine has ever risen above 39c to be honest.

JC buy a Moleskin pad. They are perfection. It may fill an upgrading hole you never knew needed to be scratched. :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 14:48 
Unpossible!

Moleskin!?! You monster! Moles are *tiny*! They must have to kill hundreds to make a notepad. Get paper next time, you fiend!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 14:56 
Esoteric

NervousPete wrote:
Oh, and just had a look at the temp setting, 27c for this card! I don't think mine has ever risen above 39c to be honest.

JC buy a Moleskin pad. They are perfection. It may fill an upgrading hole you never knew needed to be scratched. :)

Well the second 5770 is a bonus in honesty Pete. I wasn't expecting the RMA turn around to be so fast but then they don't have the 280GTX XT any more and haven't since I got mine. And I certainly wouldn't want an inferior one because it would be, well, you know, inferior. I phoned them earlier and they were dead nice about it. No fucking around just basically said the card was tested and found to be indeed faulty.. They said they could not replace it (very honest they could have strung me along for 90 days fucking around with XFX) so I mentioned credit and he said that was fine.

Now obviously it's kind of tricky because all they sell is graphics cards (well they have a motherboard but its LGA 775 on the 790i) so that leaves me with sitting on a credit note for ages (and I am sure that in the end it would become null and void) or grabbing something with that credit. Another 5770 makes perfect sense as two together will use less power than my 280 did and kick it's ass in all kinds of ways. It sucks that I need another motherboard but in honesty the way I go through shit it wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up a spare.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 14:59 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

DavPaz wrote:
Moleskin!?! You monster! Moles are *tiny*! They must have to kill hundreds to make a notepad. Get paper next time, you fiend!

I reckon you could do it with three.

/wanders off to experiment.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 15:01 
Esoteric

Moleskin? sounds like one of them fancy condoms.

Oh wait that was lambs skin.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 15:04 
Paws for thought

Zio wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

Without wishing to go down the dark road of Mac Vs PC debate, I have to say that this is largely nonsense. There's very little reason to ever need to invoke Boot Camp on a Mac, unless it's games you'll be wanting, and even then most of the big titles get ported over to OS X fairly quickly these days. Virtualy everything I've ever wanted to do on a computer is entirely do-able on a Mac, in OS X.

And even if you do need to use Boot Camp, it's one of the most hassle-free experiences you could ask for. The Boot Camp application on OS X makes a FAT32/NTFS partition of whichever size you want on your active hard drive via a simple slider, without the need for reformatting or anything. It then burns you a CD with all the Windows drivers you need, which install absolutely effortlessly once you're in Windows.

Seriously, installing and using Windows via Boot Camp on a Mac is actually much less hassle than just doing it on an actual PC. Apple are absolutely the grand masters at user friendly design.

You've obviously never been on the receiving end of belligerent apple fans demanding you port your programs to macs (Response: Sod off, apple fans. I'm not spending money because you chose a shitty computer). And more cost is largely nonsense? You get windows for free on the mac, then?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 15:05 

"Moleskin" is the heavy cotton. "Moleskine" are the notebooks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 15:16 
Esoteric

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

I see. I think I'm going to call you Zanussi from now on. The appliance of science :D

Are you home now? It's just that I have another one of those gay Alienware bios exe things and I want the bios out so I can pinch the new logo.

Sorry, that sounds rude. What I meant to say was please could you use your l33t h4x0r sk1llorz to remove the bios rom like you did before :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 15:21 

Yes, I am home now, but I can't remember what I did last time to get the BIOS out. Didn't I document it in the post?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 15:22 
Esoteric

Nah you were dead cool and secretive.. I think it involved Linux though?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 15:25 

It was a Perl script I used; details here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4822&p=312566#p312566

You can probably do that in a few seconds using a Linux boot CD.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 15:44 

JohnCoffey wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

I see. I think I'm going to call you Zanussi from now on. The appliance of science :D

Are you home now? It's just that I have another one of those gay Alienware bios exe things and I want the bios out so I can pinch the new logo.

Sorry, that sounds rude. What I meant to say was please could you use your l33t h4x0r sk1llorz to remove the bios rom like you did before :)

Is it just me who can picture this ending in tears?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 15:48 
Esoteric

Nik wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Is it just me who can picture this ending in tears?

Noooo I don't want it for putting in a bios :D

I want it to use for my desktop backgrounds :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 15:53 

JohnCoffey wrote:

Oh good. I think.

Aren't logos in bioses usually crappy low-res and 256 colours (at best) though?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 16:07 
Esoteric

Nik wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:

Oh good. I think.

Aren't logos in bioses usually crappy low-res and 256 colours (at best) though?

Yeah but some of them are actually ok to be converted to 32 bit colour. Thisun for example came from Lacesensor's bios :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 16:08 
Chinny chin chin

JohnCoffey wrote:

Yeah but some of them are actually ok to be converted to 32 bit colour. Thisun for example came from Lacesensor's bios :)

Wow, is that Windows 7? Looks like a Chinese OSX rip-off.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 16:24 

chinnyhill10 wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:

Wow, is that Windows 7? Looks like a Chinese OSX rip-off.

Yes, and yes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 16:27 

Mr Dave wrote:
Zio wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

You've obviously never been on the receiving end of belligerent apple fans demanding you port your programs to macs (Response: Sod off, apple fans. I'm not spending money because you chose a shitty computer). And more cost is largely nonsense? You get windows for free on the mac, then?

Wait a minute... people 'pay' for Windows? To be fair, I wasn't really addressing your 'more cost' point, because we're talking about an Apple computer where more cost is a given. This may be why I use a Windows machine these days, but I wouldn't begrudge someone buying a Mac if they have the budget for it. They're really incredibly lovely computers and are in many respects totally worth the premium price tag.

Reply to topic  [ 5933 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 119  Next