Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 5933 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 119  Next
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 18:15 
Hello Hello Hello

Findus Fop wrote:
Cras wrote:
At risk of being an old man, I really don't get the popularity of YouTube videos for conveying information that has no need to be visual. Write it the fuck down, then I can read it at my leisure and avoid people's horrible voices.

:this: x 52

I don't get it, is there some sort of snobbery involved, or some other prejudice, that means if it's on YouTube it must be wrong and/or unbelievable and/or not worth watching and/or capable of conveying any useful information?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 18:18 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It's a bad medium. Write it the fuck down.

Although Gaywood merrily shares 80,000 word essays spread over countless Twitter posts, so he can STFU and SMB KEK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 18:19 
Bad Girl

The kids watch more videos than read stuff anyway. It’s on trend.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 18:29 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Sat is right. I attended a marketing course about a year ago and they said that YouTube is basically huge and the kids love it more than Twitter and Facebook.

I do agree though, I'm more likely to read an article than watch a video.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 18:29 

Hearthly wrote:
I don't get it, is there some sort of snobbery involved, or some other prejudice, that means if it's on YouTube it must be wrong and/or unbelievable and/or not worth watching and/or capable of conveying any useful information?

No, it's more that when you're watching a video you are being forced to go at the pace of the person that has produced that video.

Programming tutorials (especially game programming, like Unity) are particularly annoying as of late, because instead of having everything nicely written down with code that I can copy and paste if I want, and that I can read at my own pace and even skip bits that I already know, I instead have to listen to some guy (who undoubtedly knows his onions, so it's not a reflection on their skills) drawl on about "prefabs" for 5 minutes before he actually gets to the bit that matters, and then it turns out he's typing at five words per minute so that the viewers aren't overwhelmed, so I end up having to wait 5 minutes for something I could read and digest in a matter of seconds if it was just all readable from the start.

Boils my fucking piss.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 18:31 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:
It's a bad medium. Write it the fuck down.

Each to their own, I much prefer YouTube videos as I can listen to them and (semi)-watch them whilst doing something else. Like, I'm down in the kitchen now, and whilst I'm making tea for Mrs Hearthly and getting mine ready for later on (and drinking nice wine because FRIDAY), I'll catch up on a couple of Hearthstone and tech videos.

I'm subscribed to Custom PC, PC Pro and Private Eye, and it's a challenge to have each of those read before the next one drops through the letterbox.

Also I think video adds to the experience, I'm very keen on a guy who produces 'video essays' on YouTube, could he write them down? I guess so but he'd lose the visual aspect of what he does with footage of games as reference points and suchlike.

Don't get me wrong, I like a good read as much as the next person, but this rather sniffy dismissal of YouTube as essentially worthless by a couple of folks strikes me as rather off TBH.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 18:33 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Hearthly wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Cras wrote:
At risk of being an old man, I really don't get the popularity of YouTube videos for conveying information that has no need to be visual. Write it the fuck down, then I can read it at my leisure and avoid people's horrible voices.

I basically hate anything I have to give my undivided attention to, because I'm busy doing 18 other things. An article I can read at my leisure, I can read while I'm on the phone, I can easily refer back to cross-reference earlier comments, it can have links in it to other related media. Video is just a terrible medium for that sort of content, in my view.

I appreciate, of course, that that's entirely based on how I consume information. I also place no judgement on the content whatsoever - I'll just never view it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 18:35 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Hearthly wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I like a good read as much as the next person, but this rather sniffy dismissal of YouTube as essentially worthless by a couple of folks strikes me as rather off TBH.

Nobody's said that. There's tons of stuff for which video is a great medium.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 18:36 

I can easily watch 30-60 minutes of YouTube some days, so it's not like I'm a stranger to it. I'm just not going there for breathless conspiracy theories.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 18:46 
Prince of Fops

Hearthly wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Cras wrote:

No not snobbery at all (at least I don't think it is). If what I'm being offered is essentially a tract of text, I'd rather read it myself rather than have it read to me. That way I can move at my own pace and don't have to put up with the mumbles and voice of someone else. If I'm playing an adventure game, I'll often skip the voice dialogue part-way through its delivery, because I've already read what's on-screen. YES, I AM THAT MADCAP.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 18:55 
UltraMod

There is some amazing stuff on YouTube! However the bar is set very low for entry and that's where the reputation comes from.

Also all the shouty men.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 19:02 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Lonewolves wrote:
There is some amazing stuff on YouTube! However the bar is set very low for entry and that's where the reputation comes from.

Also all the shouty men.

Again, not having a go at the content, just saying that video as a medium is pointless if your content isn't visual.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 19:04 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I'm just not going there for breathless conspiracy theories.

You mean the well researched piece that cites all its sources and evidence to support the case being made?

EDIT - Typos, don't chop chillies and type at the same time. And definitely don't rub your eyes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 20:04 
Excellent Painter

Hearthly wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I'm just not going there for breathless conspiracy theories.

You mean the well researched piece that cites all its sources and evidence to support the case being made?

EDIT - Typos, don't chop chillies and type at the same time. And definitely don't rub your eyes.

Or go for a pee...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 20:09 
UltraMod

No, if you're rubbing your eyes while you pee you might piss all over the floor.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 20:11 

Cras wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Also all the shouty men.

Again, not having a go at the content, just saying that video as a medium is pointless if your content isn't visual.

Even if it is visual the amount of faffing around before someone gets to the crux of what the video is about can be infuriating. I do a lot of things with what are primarily visually learned mediums for a lot of people (knitting, art and creative things...) and though I simply don’t learn that way myself I do understand that I seem to be in the minority. I prefer written instructions I can scan, and diagrams if necessary.

When I have been forced to use a video there is invariably about seven minutes of someone drawling slowly on about how they are holding the needles, why they knit continental, if they’re using a pirtuguese knitting pin, where their yarn is from... all the while fiddling with the yarn or the fabric. The actual point of the video, maybe the demonstration of a stitch or technique is about six seconds long somewhere in the middle before they then start back to talking about something else. And to make it as clear as possible it does seem to mean that people want to fo at a crawling snail’s pace to get to the information. I am not anti YouTube, but now so many people use it as a source of instruction it means that there are fewer written alternatives, and everything is painful.

We once had a new bit of software being bought into the business and for some ridiculous reason they decided that rather than write a user guide they wanted to make individual videos for each of the hundreds of functions.

Luckily I left at that point, and I don’t *think* they ever did, but if they had gone ahead whilst I was still there I’d probably have lost mind.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 22:31 
Excellent Member

Instructions unclear; just rubbed piss in my eyes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 0:35 
Unpossible!

Wadsworth constant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:40 
Hello Hello Hello

So there are two strands of objections here, and they're very different.

DocG in particular is simply being dismissive of the content I linked to, choosing to denigrate it with language such as 'breathless conspiracy theories' and of course the original glorious witticism:

Quote:
In terms of convincing me of stuff, 55 minutes of YouTube is only slightly more likely to work than a massive corkboard covered in newspaper clippings linked up with red string plus John Doe's diary from Se7en.

Whereas Mimi and GazChapfor example, have a far more practical objection in that it's a bad medium to convey instructions for a particular task or process, that would be much better written down - and that's a perfectly understandable objection.

It's the former that I have a problem with, the implication being that because it's just 'a bloke on YouTube' the material almost by definition is incapable of being worthwhile, well-researched, interesting, informative or anything else. That chap in particular goes to great lengths to cite all his sources and reasoning, backing up his cases with evidence and being quite clear when he's expressing an opinion about something.

The truth is that he called it early and he called it right with Coffee Lake, at a time when the 'mainstream and respectable' sites were creaming themselves over Coffee Lake's incredible performance and not even realising that the chips they were benching were being 'auto-tweaked' by the high end motherboards they were testing in, and some of them have got very arsey about being called out on their shoddy journalism.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 13:11 
Unpossible!

I thought it was an excellent video and the guy has a brilliant rich Scottish accent.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 13:38 
Unpossible!

But it would work as an article just as well

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 13:39 
Esoteric

TBH it all depends what you see Youtube as. I certainly don't see it as an instruction guide or tutorial. For that I use solid text. However, I do use it as an entertainment medium. More so this year than any other. Stuff like Project Binky and so on are hugely entertaining and contain no ads.

As for Adored? tbh I would almost go as far as calling him the Stuart Campbell of PC journalism. Only without all of the meltdowns and swearing. For as long as I can remember now hardware reviews have been no such thing. They have just been sales pitches. As an example to this when the 1060 was released one of the tech press leaked Nvidia's "review guide"

https://videocardz.com/62138/nvidia-gef ... ide-leaked

This showed once and for all that reviews were no such thing. Just glorified adverts that were actually constructed by Nvidia. "Reviewers" were told exactly what games to run, in which scenarios and so on and so forth.

It's long been known (since Stuart Campbell actually) that any one who reviews with even the slightest hint of skepticism or pessimism is quickly brushed to one side. No one dares speak the truth because you upset the master and get nothing to review and certainly don't get people wanting to pay/bribe you. So Adored is much like Stuart in that sense. He does most of it off of his own back. He does have a patreon but he is also growing in popularity with every day that passes. Even when faced with AMD directly (literally face to face) he was having none of it.

We all know you don't mess with a determined Scot. Well thankfully PC hardware now has one. And like Hearthly said, all of his information is always backed up by a legitimate source. I've never seen him just spout something off without showing the source it came from.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 13:44 

DavPaz wrote:
I thought it was an excellent video and the guy has a brilliant rich Scottish accent.

I watched the first two minutes to see if you were being genuine. His accent is indeed brilliant and lovely.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 13:50 
Esoteric

And yes, he does have a magnificent accent :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 13:57 
Unpossible!

Mimi wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

I watched the first two minutes to see if you were being genuine. His accent is indeed brilliant and lovely.

How very dare you question my genuinality (totally a word)¿?¿? :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 14:35 
Esoteric

This thread just prompted me to watching Adored's latest video. JFC. So Intel are basically making a CPU that depending on where it is can behave and perform completely differently within a window of around 2ghz?

So you watch one of these "celebs" like Linus or Jay and then you decide that the 8700 is the CPU for you based on the reviews (bent) and the performance metrics (also bent). But you are not confident in building your own rig, but that's OK because OEMs have got you covered. Problem is, depending on how much welly the mobo decides to give the CPU you can actually end up around 2.8ghz, rather than the 4.8 they are capable of with the TDP limiter disabled. And those states vary from OEM to OEM. Wow. Talk about making a "one fits all" CPU. You could end up with 40% less performance than you saw in the "review" aka the glorified advert, brought to you by your host, Jay. Wow.

Before I get called a conspiracy theorist I should point out that this information comes from Intel itself.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 14:59 
Hello Hello Hello

In terms of convincing me of stuff, Intel's own technical specification documents, correctly and responsibly cited in a well-researched piece on YouTube, are only slightly more likely to work than a massive corkboard covered in newspaper clippings linked up with red string plus John Doe's diary from Se7en.

Oh hang on, that just makes me sound really dumb, I won't do that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 15:09 
Esoteric

Wow. Discussing this on another forum and some guy states the obvious and says "Well the information is all out there !". Well yes, it is. However, if you go to Youtube or even Google and type "Intel 8700 review" then you are highly likely to end up on Youtube either way. You them watch a video that mentions absolutely none of this information or spec at all, and watch a guy benchmark it on an open test bench with the most expensive board money can buy. By which time you are convinced, the 8700 is the CPU for you.

This isn't an issue with Youtube, or even just technology based products. Time and time again I have watched a Youtube "review" and been convinced to hand over X amount of cash. As an example to this (the most recent) EKWB Coolstream radiators. They look stunning.

However I bought one and when it arrived I could not believe just how bad it was. It was awful. It's thin, cheaply made, paint you can't even breathe close to without it coming off, label was printed poorly and had bled (screen printed) and so on. It also has round extensions (G 1/4) that you can't do up with any meaningful force meaning that if your hose twists against them they piss coolant all over the place.

And I sat down and I thought "Just how the fuck do I watch videos/read reviews and actually end up with a total pile of shit like this?".

It's not just Youtube or technology it's the whole fucking world. Everything is the best and finding actually truthful reviews with any negativity at all in them is close to impossible. Everything is made to look fantastic, with very expensive cameras and light tricks and etc. Then you get the product and it has no chance of ever living up to the BS.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 15:10 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

But...it literally says that on the box. Taking one of the 8700s as a sample, it says 3.2GHz, turbo 4.6GHz. And as you say, intel specify the circumstances under which turbo boost occurs. So what's the conspiracy?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 15:20 
Hello Hello Hello

Cras wrote:
But...it literally says that on the box. Taking one of the 8700s as a sample, it says 3.2GHz, turbo 4.6GHz. And as you say, intel specify the circumstances under which turbo boost occurs. So what's the conspiracy?

No one's saying it's a conspiracy, only DocG used that word.

If you watch the videos all the chap is really saying is 'Don't believe the reviews, they're not representative of how these CPUs are going to perform in many real-world scenarios'.

And as JC says, a lot of people are going to go off those reviews, reviews that are still out there now, and still providing a very inaccurate picture of how Coffee Lake CPUs will quite often perform in real PCs.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 15:22 
Esoteric

Cras wrote:

False advertising. As you say, it is not the product itself but the way it is demonstrated. It's being demonstrated with a completely biased "best case scenario". You see the performance figures and think "wow, this is the fastest gaming CPU on the market !" and then you go off and buy one. However, the board you have can only run it at the guaranteed base clock, so you are actually getting 50% of what you saw on Youtube.

By this stage you may well be thinking "So it's down to the guys on Youtube?" but most of the time they do completely as instructed by the company providing the review sample.

If reviewers sat down and explained this before reviewing the product (IE completely open and honestly) then most people would buy a Ryzen. Mostly because the guaranteed base clock is actually higher than the Intel, and it is much cheaper to boot. IIRC the guaranteed base on both is 3ghz, 200mhz higher than the Intel. But all we see are best case scenarios....

It used to really piss me off too back when the Core 2 Duo etc were around, because you would read a review showing one being overclocked to bejesus yet you then buy that board and CPU you saw in the review only to find the reviewer was using the fastest RAM available that cost three times what yours did and because of that you are heavily restricted on the FSB meaning your CPU is running 900mhz slower than the review you saw.

Pawns. These people on Youtube are just pawns. They do as instructed by their master, and the money fame and popularity ensues.

Whereas Adored? he's "doing a Stu". IE - telling the truth and not giving a shit whether he ruffles some serious feathers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 15:28 
UltraMod

Hearthly wrote:
If you watch the videos all the chap is really saying is 'Don't believe the reviews, they're not representative of how these CPUs are going to perform in many real-world scenarios'.

Why can't he just say that then? Preferably in a 500-word article.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 15:32 
Hello Hello Hello

Lonewolves wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

Why can't he just say that then? Preferably in a 500-word article.

But then you wouldn't get to hear his lovely Scottish accent.

Seriously though, whilst I take the point that some people would rather have this sort of material written down, I personally find I can consume a lot more information via videos, simply because I can have them playing and listen to them whilst I'm doing other things (mostly when I'm in the kitchen, as we all eat different things at different times, so I tend to spend a of time in the kitchen), and that's information I can consume that I wouldn't otherwise.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 15:53 
Esoteric

I think that half of the problem is that Jim covers very complex issues. These issues can not be simply explained in a minute or so, because then people would just say "He made that up and pulled the figures out of his arse". Usually when people complain about him they have not watched the video itself. I see that a lot. Then you ask some one to make a nice cup of tea, sit down, watch, and actually digest the information he is giving to you. If you are capable of understanding it? it's very valuable information.

Any one who speaks out about anything these days is labelled a hater and a conspiracy theorist. It's actually amazing how people just don't want to hear the truth now, and will refuse to accept it no matter what.

Let's take the past few days for example. Intel CPUs are called out for being insecure. First information is that basically the CPU has a fault that has been there for ten years, which allows a hacker to walk straight into your kernel, allowing the hacker to gain all of your private info. Now do note, this is Intel. Not AMD.

Intel make a press statement and immediately start slinging shit. Right at AMD, who they claim are just as bad. But the truth is they are not. Because as any one who has spent a few hours reading and digesting the information will know, only one of these vulnerabilities even applies to AMD. IE - Spectre. Meltdown can not touch AMD because the fault with the Intel CPU is not there. However, Intel post their press statement and then within hours you see stuff like this.

"Gotta love the US sue everything policy ugh. AMD and the other one are equal 'at fault'. Not a fan of these sue tactics personally."

And immediately they have made some of that shit they are throwing around stick. Now this post (the line above) was said before Spectre became apparent. At that moment it was only and specifically an Intel problem but instead of being told that the shit was already being hurled around. Then if you read the actual facts it turns out that Spectre can be an issue for AMD, but only in specific circumstances and AMD can patch it out without any performance loss.

Intel on the other hand? I wouldn't want to be a datacenter owner, that's for sure.

So most of the time the short answer is not good enough. And that is why Jim talks on as much as he does, so that you can fully understand it *and* see where the info and facts are coming from. And that isn't easy. However let's be honest most people these days just want the short answer.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 16:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hearthly wrote:
No one's saying it's a conspiracy

You literally are.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 16:10 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

JohnCoffey wrote:
I think that half of the problem is that Jim covers very complex issues. These issues can not be simply explained in a minute or so, because then people would just say "He made that up and pulled the figures out of his arse". Usually when people complain about him they have not watched the video itself. I see that a lot. Then you ask some one to make a nice cup of tea, sit down, watch, and actually digest the information he is giving to you. If you are capable of understanding it? it's very valuable information.

No, that's literally the opposite of the issue. Video doesn't allow you to read and digest at your own pace, doesn't allow you to link to other sources for background reading or additional information. Complexity is an argument against video as a medium.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 16:19 
Hello Hello Hello

Cras wrote:
No, that's literally the opposite of the issue. Video doesn't allow you to read and digest at your own pace, doesn't allow you to link to other sources for background reading or additional information. Complexity is an argument against video as a medium.

If only there were a way to pause a video, or rewind it to listen to a particular bit again.

If only people like Jim would put a load of links in their video descriptions to direct people to further reading and reference materials.

IF ONLY.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 16:28 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Who's pausing a video to copy down an on-screen, unclickable link?!
And yes, you can pause and replay. Can you slow down or speed up without it becoming nonsense?

I'm not saying it's useless, I'm just countering the ridiculous idea that people don't like these sort of videos because they're 'too complex'. FFS.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 16:35 
Esoteric

Cras wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:

Oh I agree with that completely. I would still rather see complex technical things written down in print. I might even suggest to Jim that he does that.

I first saw the issue with Youtube on South Park. Kids these days all live on it, and don't even bother to read any more. So most of the time you are wasting finger energy... And the shit they watch? crikey. 8 million views for some spoiled little twat going out cruising in his Lambo.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 17:05 
Esoteric

Oh yes, computers !

So for about seven months now I have been happily running my upgrade. 14 core 28 thread Xeon that I have bus clocked to gain an extra 50mhz on all cores, as well as a force clock using the Genie to make certain cores run at their single core speed. Basically in a nut shell this forces four cores to run at 3150mhz, two after those ot run at 3050mhz and then all of the remaining cores to run at 2850mhz. Great ! and leaves a Ryzen 1800x in the dust when threading which is exactly what I was after. It cost less, too.

Any way, back in the summer I also bought a Titan XP (which has not lost a single penny in value since then which is awesome) and I soon got very tired of the air cooler. It was loud, and the back plate got obnoxiously hot. So I full out water cooled it on a slightly larger than single 120mm rad.

It took a couple of weeks of planning, measuring and mocking up in order to get it to fit. I had to take the slant degree of the case into account before doing anything, and then trying to make everything run vertically so it wouldn't leak all over the place and the res not be pissed at 60'. Yeah, wasn't easy but I managed to cram it all in.

Sadly I didn't realise that every review of the Titan XP under water were using a double rad. I simply didn't even think about it. Well when I finished it I realised why they had done that. Basically on a single rad I was reaching temps of 88c under water. No throttling, but yeah, pump is only rated ot 60c water temps and even the hoses became rather soft and a little floppy. That was during summer though, and it was a very hot summer down 'ere. So I decided to lower the power limit, lower the overclock to 200mhz and ended up getting 1900-2000 depending on the temps. This is not possible on air, your max boost is around 1800mhz depending on temps so I was happy I guess.. However, I wasn't happy that it was still hitting mid 60s.

So I did what every sane person would do, bought a lovely big old pile of shit to improve it.

240mm rad as opposed to 120, top end rad too (Bitspower) to match all of the fittings and res, and new fans that have lights in them. First time I have used LED fans in many a moon. I also ordered a USB computer (Poweradjust there) with a module that allows you to run 9 fans or pumps and control it all within Windows. I then bought a heatsink for the computer within a computer.

Because I hear they run quite hot, and then many fan extensions and a power extension.

Then I pulled it all apart and drained it.

Coolant was OK, but you can see here why you don't use a single rad on something so hot. It doesn't allow for much coolant at all really.

At least I saved it, it is rather expensive at £12 a bottle. Only a little bit of evaporation too over the past seven months.

Not bad considering how hot the GPU was running. I will be tackling it all next week, but, if I did my maths correctly it should all just literally slot in and I shouldn't have to use any new hose. The rad is the same thickness, same width and the same spacing between the G 1/4 ports. All I need to do is flush it all with distilled vinegar then I can build.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 17:41 
Excellent Member

Quote:
Not bad considering how hot the GPU was running. I will be tackling it all next week, but, if I did my maths correctly it should all just literally slot in and I shouldn't have to use any new hose. The rad is the same thickness, same width and the same spacing between the G 1/4 ports. All I need to do is flush it all with distilled vinegar then I can build.

Can you do a video and put it on Youtube?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 17:48 
Excellent Member

asfish wrote:
Quote:

Can you do a video and put it on Youtube?

I'd prefer a 500 word article.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 17:59 
Unpossible!

500 word video?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 18:02 
UltraMod

South Park. :S

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 19:29 
Excellent Member

DavPaz wrote:
500 word video?

That's the best of both worlds; a video showing someone typing their opinions out in a Notepad window.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 19:34 
Unpossible!

Bamba wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
500 word video?

That's the best of both worlds; a video showing someone typing their opinions out in a Notepad window.

I think I've seen a few videos *exactly* like that

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 20:12 
Esoteric

DavPaz wrote:
Bamba wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
500 word video?

Yeah me too haha. I think they obviously don't have confidence in their voice. They still go too fast :DD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 20:16 
Excellent Member

JohnCoffey wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Bamba wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
500 word video?

Yeah me too haha. I think they obviously don't have confidence in their voice. They still go too fast :DD

To be fair, whenever I've seen it done it's been quick and dirty stuff rather than lengthy lectures so it's probably someone that doesn't have a mic but can grab screen recording software easily. I've never seen anyone use that technique to present a lot of text, as that would be properly stupid.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 20:24 
Esoteric

Bamba wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Bamba wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
500 word video?

To be fair, whenever I've seen it done it's been quick and dirty stuff rather than lengthy lectures so it's probably someone that doesn't have a mic but can grab screen recording software easily. I've never seen anyone use that technique to present a lot of text, as that would be properly stupid.

It's annoying when you are following something verbatim and they open something by mistake lmao. Straight back to Google....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 20:28 
Excellent Member

JohnCoffey wrote:
Bamba wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Bamba wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
500 word video?

It's annoying when you are following something verbatim and they open something by mistake lmao. Straight back to Google....

Oh, for sure. And if they don't put any required commands into the video description box so you can c&p then it quickly gets really stupid. On balance though I've been very grateful for some of these kind of things in the past and realise that YouTube gives people an easy way to 'publish' something that doesn't require too much effort on their part.

Reply to topic  [ 5933 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 119  Next