Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 5933 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 119  Next
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Lonewolves wrote:
Using an inkjet printer at home in 2017 is like watching TV in 720p

I should use a laser printer?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:06 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
Cheapy compatible ink cartridges killed my printer! (And ate my hamster.)

As per this post here - viewtopic.php?p=932367#p932367

I moved to dodgy Amazon cartridges for our trusty old Canon MP-640 last December. The printer had worked perfectly since 2009 on genuine ink. Within 10 months on compatibles, BOOM HEADSHOT, dead. I had a Google on the error and there's all sorts of stuff you can apparently do to bring a Canon back to life from a B200 ERROR but I'm like fuck that printers are cheap and time is short and Dishonored 2 won't play itself. (Like I'm going to start washing print heads in distilled water.)

I tried Currys but after spending 10 minutes deciding on one the young chap cheerfully informed me that my choice was not in stock and he could order one for me that would get here in 3-5 days and I'm just like, 'Well I can do that as well, and it'll cost less'.

As such I have an Officejet 8720 all-in-one on the way from Ebuyer (which is far better than the one I was going to get from Currys, for just an extra £20), it comes with starter ink cartridges but I'll get us straight onto that HP INSTANT INK thing which looks really good, the £4 per month 100 page plan will do us fine I think, especially with the 100 page rollover it allows - and we can always pay a bit more for heavy months.

Exciting times.

The way ink works in printers is out of order, I spent around £1000 on a small office HP all in one for our office in Dublin. It came with a set of "light" cartridges. When I went over to set it up also ordered a set of larger cartridges so that I could leave with plenty of page capacity.

There was a cock up with the delivery and the black larger cartridge was delayed, the printer refused to allow me to put in the 3 larger colours ones and the light black.

Have the same issue with my home printer as well, the light cartridges ran out and there was a delay getting bigger ones. We use this model at work and always send them out with full ones, so there was a box full of lights in the store.

I took 4 home to tide me over and the printer refused to let me use a 2nd set of them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:08 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

This has made me realise that I've used the same printer for around 10 years or more... and it works fine.

I'm scared to upgrade now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:13 
Master of dodgy spelling....

My new HP Envy Printer uses the postal ink thing for £2 a month, they keep posting my cartridges.. All good.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:14 
Unpossible!

I used to have a Canon printer that I won as a sales prize at work. It was great! Cheap to run, quiet, great quality. It even looked nice.

My wife's cousin dropped a houseplant into it. :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 14:35 
Hello Hello Hello

asfish wrote:
The way ink works in printers is out of order, I spent around £1000 on a small office HP all in one for our office in Dublin. It came with a set of "light" cartridges. When I went over to set it up also ordered a set of larger cartridges so that I could leave with plenty of page capacity.

There was a cock up with the delivery and the black larger cartridge was delayed, the printer refused to allow me to put in the 3 larger colours ones and the light black.

Have the same issue with my home printer as well, the light cartridges ran out and there was a delay getting bigger ones. We use this model at work and always send them out with full ones, so there was a box full of lights in the store.

I took 4 home to tide me over and the printer refused to let me use a 2nd set of them.

Well this is why I'm hoping HP INSTANT INK will turn out to be a good idea and a good deal.

I reckon we were spending at least £100 per year on traditional cartridges, so £48 per year to get nice fresh cartridges sent to the door without me doing anything seems like a reasonable amount to pay. Plus I don't have to worry about them running out as they're MEGA XXXXXL cartridges which HP don't stress about as they just remote-kill them if you stop paying.

It's still a bit of a scam of course, since the amount of ink in a printer cartridge has a value of a few pence, but I can't be arsed with laser printers and their super-expensive toners, slow start up, noise and all the rest of it. (And HP insist that with their INSTANT INK service overall costs are lower than lasers.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 14:43 
Comfortably Dumb

Hearthly wrote:

It's still a bit of a scam of course, since the amount of ink in a printer cartridge has a value of a few pence, but I can't be arsed with laser printers and their super-expensive toners, slow start up, noise and all the rest of it. (And HP insist that with their INSTANT INK service overall costs are lower than lasers.)

I haven't looked into colour laser printers much as I've had no need to print colour for ages, but my mono laser printer is pretty quiet, doesn't take long to start printing and prints quickly. My last toner cartridge was bought in January and cost me £11.59 (not an official Samsung cartridge, obviously). Plus the print quality is more consistent than with inkjet too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 14:54 
Hello Hello Hello

Also for our scenario we need all-in-one functionality, as Jnr does loads of copying, and Mrs Hearthly scans stuff (and I do sometimes). We like wireless (obv), duplex, document feeder, big paper trays, USB slots, touchscreens, and we're also going to get mobile printing with the new printer. (The one we've ordered has NFC printing as well.)

So whilst you can get a low-end colour laser for 'reasonably cheap' by the time you start matching the feature sets of the inkjet all-in-ones the price creeps up quite a lot, and I'm not sure I'd want to be using non-genuine toner cartridges in a shiny new printer. (And colour toners are rather expensive I believe.)

TBH I'm pretty happy with a £150 printer and £4 per month for ink, for a device that'll meet all our needs and new ink just gets posted through the front door when we need it.

(There's also a £50 cashback offer on the printer although I won't call it £100 printer until we've successfully got the cash back, as those offers are notoriously torturous and long-winded.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 14:55 
Gogmagog

Which is it, please? MrsA needs one for whateveritis she does.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 14:57 
Comfortably Dumb

Hearthly wrote:
Also for our scenario we need all-in-one functionality, as Jnr does loads of copying, and Mrs Hearthly scans stuff (and I do sometimes). We like wireless (obv), duplex, big paper trays, USB slots, touchscreens, and we're also going to get mobile printing with the new printer. (The one we've ordered has NFC printing as well.)

So whilst you can get a low-end colour laser for 'reasonably cheap' by the time you start matching the feature sets of the inkjet all-in-ones the price creeps up quite a lot, and I'm not sure I'd want to be using non-genuine toner cartridges in a shiny new printer. (And colour toners are rather expensive I believe.)

TBH I'm pretty happy with a £150 printer and £4 per month for ink, for a device that'll meet all our needs and new ink just gets posted through the front door when we need it.

(There's also a £50 cashback offer on the printer although I won't call it £100 printer until we've successfully got the cash back, as those offers are notoriously torturous and long-winded.)

Fair enough :) The one I have has some of those features (I'll be amazed if I ever print anything using NFC, but the option is there I suppose), but certainly not all of them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 14:59 
Master of dodgy spelling....

The HP Envy one, supports printing direct from any phone. It was about £40 in a sale at sainsburys.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 15:03 
Hello Hello Hello

MaliA wrote:
Which is it, please? MrsA needs one for whateveritis she does.

https://www.ebuyer.com/747642-hp-office ... d9l19a-a80

Be warned, they're quite big apparently.

£50 cashback offer ends today.

Attachment:
Screenshot 2017-10-31 at 14.02.59.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 15:04 
Gogmagog

Thanking you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 15:18 
Prince of Fops

devilman wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
Also for our scenario we need all-in-one functionality, as Jnr does loads of copying, and Mrs Hearthly scans stuff (and I do sometimes). We like wireless (obv), duplex, big paper trays, USB slots, touchscreens, and we're also going to get mobile printing with the new printer. (The one we've ordered has NFC printing as well.)

Fair enough :) The one I have has some of those features (I'll be amazed if I ever print anything using NFC, but the option is there I suppose), but certainly not all of them.

I think I have the same one as you, I think I remember you recommending it in the past. I've never used the NFC print doober either.

Anyway, I have the Samsung Xpress M2026W and it's ace. Very compact, prints fast and, since I spoke to a kind and patient man at Samsung, is now on a static IP so I don't have to reconnect the fucker to Wifi every other week.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 15:22 
Comfortably Dumb

Findus Fop wrote:
devilman wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

I think I have the same one as you, I think I remember you recommending it in the past. I've never used the NFC print doober either.

Anyway, I have the Samsung Xpress M2026W and it's ace. Very compact, prints fast and, since I spoke to a kind and patient man at Samsung, is now on a static IP so I don't have to reconnect the fucker to Wifi every other week.

Mine's a little different as it has the wireless scanning too. It's this one. It's been great so far, so now I've typed that, it'll break.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:23 
Hello Hello Hello

Printer arrived towards the end of last week, here is my PRINTER REVIEW of the HP OFFICEJET PRO 8720.

It's big, but not over-the-top big, although I'm not quite sure why it's as physically large as it is, I'm sure I've seen printers with the same feature set be produced with lesser dimensions. That said there are no bits that need to open or extend for any of it to work, like our old Canon had a flap that dropped down on the front to allow prints to come out, but here it's got an always-open yawning chasm. Also there's a document feeder on the top which is potentially handy, especially for feeding documents into it.

Setup was super easy, once it was out of the box there were loads of bits of bright blue sellotape to remove which were holding various parts into place, after that it was just a case of setting it in place, plugging it in, turning it on, and following the onscreen prompts.

There are no physical buttons apart from the power button, everything else is done via a few 'soft' buttons and the touchscreen, which is a decent size/resolution and responsive enough.

The guided setup worked perfectly, and it plays little videos on the screen (with sound!) to show you how the ink cartridges go in and suchlike, there's even a little video to show you how to load the paper tray, for the feeble of mind. Attaching it to a wireless network is part of the setup, once that's done it toddles of to HP to get firmware and software updates, as well as updating its collection of built-in apps. It also gets an email address for itself so you can email things to it from anywhere and it prints them out. (That stuff isn't mandatory, but it seemed daft not to make it as connected and modern and swishy as possible.)

(I haven't had a play around with the apps yet, but there seems to be Google Drive and Dropbox integration of some form available, scan to email, and stuff like that.)

Excellently, it seems that PLUG-N-PLAY now works properly, a mere 22 years after it was first promoted with Windows 95. The three Windows 10 machines on the network all detected the new printer's presence and installed the drivers for it, and also suggested we get the HP App from the Windows Store, which I did, and it provides most of the functionality of the full software install, to the extent that I haven't even bothered installing the full software suite on any of the PCs.

I've set up scanning locations on each of our PCs through the app, so now when any of us go to the printer and press 'SCAN TO NETWORK SHARE' it asks us which of is scanning, we put our own PIN in, and then it scans to our own PCs, which Jnr is very thrilled by.

I also set up HP INSTANT INK which was a painless procedure through the HP website, the first set of cartridges should be here in 10 days apparently, in the meantime we're just using the starter cartridges it came with. Quite spookily, within 15 seconds of finishing setting it up on the HP website, I heard the printer BONG from the other room, so I walked through to it and it was cheerfully thanking me on its screen for signing up for HP INSTANT INK. Clearly we are being watched by sinister pigment-based overlords.

Printing/copying/scanning wise it all works as you'd expect, it's visibly MUCH quicker than the old MP-640, Jnr was impressed at how quickly it rattled off loads of copies of questionnaires for her animals. It has 256MB of RAM so can hold big image-heavy documents in RAM quite easily, whereas the MP-640 would pause quite regularly as the printing client on the PC sent the next bit of the document to it.

Printing quality is excellent, and the paper tray is capacious, it holds 250 sheets which is splendid.

I have gone through the moderately-torturous cashback claim process with HP which should be completed within the next three million years according to the T&Cs, and assuming I haven't got any of it wrong. TBH for £150 it's an awful lot of printer, but getting £50 cashback to make it a £100 printer would be quite the steal of the century.

It's clearly more of a 'small business' printer rather than a true 'home' printer, but since we'll lob a fair amount of stuff at it between the three of us I think it's a good choice for our situation.

There's quite a few things I haven't tried yet, such as NFC printing, and some functionality will never get used, like the fax - but out of the box it was all set up and working as I'd like for the three of us with minimal fuss and effort.

Overall, very impressed, would print again.

875/1000

Attachment:
printo.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 19:30 
Hello Hello Hello

Yay, printer bargain-tastic!

Also, the first set of HP INSTANT INK cartridges turned up today but I won't be putting them in until the starter cartridges run out.

I printed off a 25 page document yesterday and the 8720 absolutely rattled through it, I've never seen an inkjet go fast, yes it's not as fast as the fastest lasers but it's certainly a match for any sort of midrange laser.

£100 with cashback - what a steal.

Attachment:
50o2.JPG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:51 
Excellent Member

Quote:
Hats off to Scan for a truly peerless customer experience from start to finish, yes you pay a touch more with them but IMO it's worth it, they must assign any queries/questions about a build to a helpdesk ticket that gets assigned to an individual, because my emails were all answered by the same chap, and my phone call was with him too (very nice guy called Josh).

I just spent the best part of £4,000 on a gaming laptop for work, they want to have a portable VR solution for scientists and this is the first of 9 we will order if all goes well.

After some efforts to see if HP did anything close to what we wanted I went to Scan.

As is often the case the customer wanted it yesterday, more so after all the time spent looking at HP’s dismal options.

They wanted the laptop to have 2 1080 cards in it, I said that was overkill as they were not going to use a 4K output so one would be enough for the 1080p laptop resolution. They pushed back using the delay on the HP fact finding as an argument so I said Ok as this one is just to test.

So it turns up with 2 huge brick power supplies that feed into a splitter box that has one power cable that goes into the laptop, so much for portability then :)

Then we find it has Windows 10 Home installed, which is understandable as it’s a gaming laptop, but means we can’t join it to the domain. So before I know this one of my guys wipes all the partitions and tries to build it with Enterprise.

Turns out Scan have some sort of hidden restore partition and then the Windows 10 Home key hidden deep in the BIOS so even after wiping everything it just comes right back up to the original build.

We called them and they wouldn’t help as we had bought this from a reseller, had to get them involved and we will get the information on how to remove the BIOS key etc.

Pain in the arse for enterprise but shows what a great build they have for home use

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:17 
Gogmagog

Oh happy days in 2002 using research grants to build gaming rigs to do structural biology when the Silicon graphics machines with their stereoscopic is vision became a bit leggy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:32 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:
Oh happy days in 2002 using research grants to build gaming rigs to do structural biology when the Silicon graphics machines with their stereoscopic is vision became a bit leggy.

Our place is big into GPU systems, 300 1080 cards in a "farm" went live in October and I'm ordering my 4th workstation @ £10,000 with 1080Ti cards in it this morning.

They have all moved from the Tesla type cards as you get more performace scaling cheaper gaming cards

So much so that Nvida have caught on and have laid the law down with HP and other big server players trying to stop them from selling branded server systems with gaming cards in, so we build them ourselves :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:12 
Gogmagog

Which LIMS do you use?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:25 
Unpossible!

MaliA wrote:
Which LIMS do you use?

Probably his arms, mostly.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:48 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:
Which LIMS do you use?

A couple Watson Lims for one, for the GPU stuff, the CADD guys either code there own apps or use off the self apps.

These are on CADD worksations and they submit thier jobs to the GPU and CPU farms via a queuing system.

Users are nice and self contained day to day, once I've delivered systems. Last year some guy from Global IT was trying to get them to stop using SUSE and move to Red Hat, he was told to piss off as they weren't prepared to change all their coding and apps so that he could have "Linux standard is Red Hat" on his speadsheet of IT services. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 13:02 
Gogmagog

Oh. I meant Laboratory Information Management System. When I did it, we used Nautilus which was pretty good. We would track stuff from DNA design to primer design, through PCR, then sub cloning, cloning and expression. From there it kept going so we could follow the purification into nano scale crystallisation and pull any of the images from the vault. It even went as far as data sets from the synchrotron to the built models. A lot of the software was written in house, like the imaging system for crystals which emailed you when one grew and it was doing a 90 well plate a minute.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 13:04 
Unpossible!

And now? Biscuits

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 13:05 

If you're suggesting biscuits are less important then buddy, you're wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 13:09 
Unpossible!

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
If you're suggesting biscuits are less important then buddy, you're wrong.

Perhaps less worthy than the mating habits of fruit flies, but certainly not less important. Oh Gods, no.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 13:13 
Gogmagog

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malpigh ... ule_system

I did malpighian tubule development as an undergrad, then was a molecular biologist with bacteria and insect cells.

It wasn't "flies fucking"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 13:14 
Unpossible!

MaliA wrote:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malpighian_tubule_system

I did malpighian tubule development as an undergrad, then was a molecular biologist with bacteria and insect cells.

Same thing, really.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 13:17 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:
Oh. I meant Laboratory Information Management System. When I did it, we used Nautilus which was pretty good. We would track stuff from DNA design to primer design, through PCR, then sub cloning, cloning and expression. From there it kept going so we could follow the purification into nano scale crystallisation and pull any of the images from the vault. It even went as far as data sets from the synchrotron to the built models. A lot of the software was written in house, like the imaging system for crystals which emailed you when one grew and it was doing a 90 well plate a minute.

Imaging and screening is another thing all together now, in recent years the scientists are putting in robotic systems that generate data 24\7. Projected image storage growth on my site for 2018 is 200TB, then as we back everything up to disk now another 200TB for that.

Then this year they came with a system that lets them share this stuff between UK and EU sites, it involves sending TB's of data to each site, so our 100MB Wan is getting replaced with a 10GB one in Febuary at a cost of £700,000.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 13:33 
Gogmagog

DavPaz wrote:
MaliA wrote:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malpighian_tubule_system

Same thing, really.

Skipping a lit of bits: It was expected that a gene influencing malpighian tubule development lay on the third chromosome. So flies were irradiated to produce mutations. These flies, however, had a second 3rd chromosome which has easily identifiable mutations on it. These are things like eye color, curly wings, hairy back and stuff you can see under a lens.

So, the flies were bred*, and eggs dissected, and fly embryos stained with antibodies to find tip cells which influence development. Then you take photos. Over a few generations, you can work out where the suspected gene is by what mutations show up with what crosses and then you go to NCBI Blast and pull candidate genes from the genome database in that region. From there you can then do molecular biology and get a structure if you want.

*9am, noon and 6pm you put CO2 in the vial for 20 secs or so and they go to sleep. You put them on a pad with CO2 Co. ING from it and using a paintbrush separate boy flis and non virgin female flies from the rest and bin them. 15 virgin females go back onto vials with some marmite and one male. I got it the wrong gway around once. She died. Put vials back in incubator at 20 Celsius or 18 overnight.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 15:01 
Paws for thought

Meanwhile, I remember this much of my undergrad project on tmRNA:

That it was on tmRNA and failed transcription recovery.
Our hypothesis turned out incorrect.
Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Man Sized Fridge, Cold, Cold, Cold, Cold, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette, Pipette.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 15:14 
Gogmagog

Rogue Trooper was ahead of its time regarding RNAI and it's gene silencing effects.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:45 
Excellent Member

Anyone use a 4K monitor for their PC?

Was quite suprised to see that you can get this for £740, a Dell 43 inch screen

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/43-dell ... -black?v=b

I have a 30 inch Dell TFT and pretty sure that was the thick end of £650 when I bought it

Also see for those with deep pockets Scan do an 8K screen, 31.5 inch costing £3400. Has a resolution of 7680X4320, would a 1080TI even drive that ?

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/32-dell ... ayport?v=b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:14 
Hello Hello Hello

Thanks, HP.

Attachment:
Screenshot 2017-11-28 at 09.12.51.png

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:09 
Excellent Member

Have to say Scan are pretty shit to order from.

Had another high-end GPU PC requirement for an "innovation room" that has been redecorated and had new modern furniture installed

Its all a white and minimalistic so I ordered this

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/3xs-car ... 080-ti?v=b

I ordered it through a reseller as it takes forever to get accounts set up at work as purchasing sit on everything pissing around trying to negotiate savings.

The site said it was a next day stock deliver so 2 weeks ago I order. Straight away it moves to 7 days. Then yesterday I asked where it was and get told that they haven't got the cards or the SLI bridge in stock and suggest some options. I only get this feedback after we chase them.

The cards they proposed were fine but the bridge looked shit, just a bit of circuit board, not an issue for a normal PC but not great for one with clear sides.

So they find a better one and we are back on track then this morning they are back telling me the cards they proposed as replacements don't work with the cooling so offer a 3rd choice which I accept.

The thing that pisses me off is that the PC and all the cards and other parts they say they have issues with are still showing as next day delivery on their site.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:40 
Sitting balls-back folder

Wouldn't a solid case fit a minimalist environment better? Hidden in a piece of furniture for preference?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:54 
Excellent Member

BikNorton wrote:
Wouldn't a solid case fit a minimalist environment better? Hidden in a piece of furniture for preference?

You would think so :) They like the glass sides on this one though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 18:17 
Excellent Member

It just gets better >:|

The PC arrives at my resellers this afternoon, then they were bringing it down tomorrow as they had some project work to do.

When they go to load it, they discover that its pissed white coolant all over the box

Scan are trying to blame DPD, but there are no dents on the box, so suspect they didn't tighten all the pipes.

Then had a message that Scan was thinking they were going to wipe up the mess and send us the unit back, told them no and that I want another one.

No chance of this being in place before Xmas, which doesn't really matter now as people will be off on holiday in a weeks time

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 18:22 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

This is probably why people let the purchasing department do the purchasing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 18:33 
Hello Hello Hello

Blimey that's pretty shit for a five grand PC. Have to say this is partly why I'm not a fan of liquid cooling in PCs at all, especially these more exotic custom loop arrangements.

Then again Scan should have packed the thing well enough to withstand shocks in transit. It's possible the box was dropped 'flat' rather than on its sides/corners, so even though the box looks intact maybe it's had a hard vertical jolt somewhere along the way.

On the bright side, at least it's not your own PC!

On a wider note this is partly the result of the 'rush to the bottom' in terms of couriers, I remember when getting shit couriered was fucking expensive, but with that came a certain quality of service. Now they just have any random chancer lobbing things around and paying them poverty wages for the privilege, so it's little surprise stuff gets fucked all the time.

There's a guy on our street does Hermes deliveries, the local 'proper' courier firm brings a Transit van full of stuff to his house two or three days a week, and he bundles it all into his hallway, and then delivers it out in his own car over the course of the day. It says something as to how cheap it must be to get him to do it when all the packages are already in a courier's van, and yet it works out cheaper to unload all the stuff out of the actual courier's van, and then get him to deliver it all in his car.

He doesn't look very happy about it either, and proper lobs the packages into the back of his car sometimes. I feel a bit bad really because I've got a fucking estate car that never has anything in the back of it, and he's trying to squeeze his delivery into the rear of a little three-door Citroen with the seats folded down.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 18:55 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:

Still would come from Scan though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 18:55 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Presumably that delivery van goes and gets another vanload and dumps it in someone else's hallway.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 18:59 
Excellent Member

Quote:
On a wider note this is partly the result of the 'rush to the bottom' in terms of couriers, I remember when getting shit couriered was fucking expensive, but with that came a certain quality of service. Now they just have any random chancer lobbing things around and paying them poverty wages for the privilege, so it's little surprise stuff gets fucked all the time.

It costs £11.50 to ship this PC next day via Scan, its costs me £11 to ship an Ipad to a remote user on next day before 1 pm

So either they use cut-price services, or they hide some of the true delivery cost in the price of the PC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 18:59 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

He goes back home, where a huge lorry has dumped a massive pile of parcels in his hallway, and ferries it load by load to dump in other peoples hallway.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 23:15 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

asfish wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Well sure, but then it's purchasing's problem, not your problem. I can't even understand how this reached you in that condition.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 23:24 
Gogmagog

Cras wrote:
asfish wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Well sure, but then it's purchasing's problem, not your problem. I can't even understand how this reached you in that condition.

Something wasn't right

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 16:02 
Excellent Member

Quote:
Well sure, but then it's purchasing's problem, not your problem. I can't even understand how this reached you in that condition

Purchasing doesn't work like that in my place. They get involved with new suppliers or when there is a large spend on say a project.

After they have provided "savings" thats it. Everyone who has a cost centre at my place orders their own stuff or in some cases pushes it to a a PA.

So the PC got to my reseller in that state and he sent me the pictures, I've not seen it yet as Scan took it back at around 2pm from them

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 17:22 
Esoteric

I thought I posted here about this. Might have been one of those times where I read it over and thought "cba" and just deleted it before posting..

This happens all of the time with Scan. One of the forums I frequent for modding etc allows free shipping if you are a member of said community. All I ever see is people complaining that they have ordered something from Scan, delivery day came and went and it turns out Scan made a "stock error" and did not have the item they bought. However, just like you, Scan left it for the buyer to work out and did not contact them immediately nor refund them immediately. And this happens all of the time. I had a bad experience with them many years ago and vowed never to order from them ever again. And I pretty much stuck to my vow, apart from once when they had a stupendous deal going on the Radeon 7990 with a free £130 power supply. However, I made sure to do it through Ebay and using Paypal, just in case.

If you want the best these days it's Amazon or Overclockers UK. The former have a no argument warranty (IE unlike Scan they would argue over it) and the latter just have the best customer service anywhere. Even Amazon can be a bit vacant, but OCUK are trained and know all about what they are selling. With OCUK if I ever have an order issue* I just post in the customer service area of their forum and Bailey sorts it bloody fast..

*In three years of ordering and since Caseking took over I have had two or three issues. Once I bought a Bitspower reservoir in red in their clearance section and it was not red it was clear (which I was delighted about) but the caps were chrome and not black. BP premium caps are £8 each, Bailey sent me three of those so I could match the fittings.

Then another time I ordered three 45 deg fittings and they had lost one, so I got the two they did have for peanuts and etc. They really are fantastic. I also had a monitor with a line down it and the stand was missing, again they were quick. DPD came the very next day took it away and I got my refund the moment it was collected.

Approachable, negotiable and agreeable I think sums it up best. Unlike Scan who are rude, aggressive and etc. Oh, and don't use Ebuyer either FFS. Worst company ever.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 17:24 
Esoteric

Also. OCUK refused to build and sell hardline rigs until the glued fittings came out. IE - you literally glue the piping to the fitting. This is why !

Reply to topic  [ 5933 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 119  Next