Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 5519 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 20:54 
SupaMod
User avatar
Commander-in-Cheese

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48200
They are transferrable. You have to phone up though most of the time, the tool is useless.

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 21:17 
User avatar
ugvm'er at heart...

Joined: 4th Mar, 2010
Posts: 21127
Yeah I've transferred it before, as like you say, the tool just doesn't work.

Tried the online chat and that just crapped out before giving me a live agent, tried asking for a call back and got an "oops something went wrong"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:47 
User avatar
ugvm'er at heart...

Joined: 4th Mar, 2010
Posts: 21127
All activated.

Next problem, when coming out of sleep it hangs and needs a hard reset, then it is totally fine until the next time it sleeps, so that's annoying.

Also, I've ordered the new CPU fan, as the current led bonanza one is too noisy for me. I assume it'll be easy enough to fit, they come pre-thermal compounded these days, don't they?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:02 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 15382
Trooper wrote:
All activated.

Next problem, when coming out of sleep it hangs and needs a hard reset, then it is totally fine until the next time it sleeps, so that's annoying.

Does it actually hang or is it just a black screen because it's not staring the graphics card up again? Because mine's doing that, same CPU and I think GPU as well. I've solved it by just telling it not to sleep.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:19 
User avatar
ugvm'er at heart...

Joined: 4th Mar, 2010
Posts: 21127
It was hanging until I turned off fast start, now it freezes after about 30 seconds.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:24 
User avatar
ugvm'er at heart...

Joined: 4th Mar, 2010
Posts: 21127
Seems we are not alone

http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/6781/ry ... r-sleeping

I'll have a fiddle tonight, then I'll try and fix the computer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 18:28 
User avatar
Esoteric

Joined: 12th Dec, 2008
Posts: 11493
Location: On Mars as an anthropologist...
Happens on every PC I have. So no, you're certainly not alone. I have to disable it and have every thing turn off apart from the pc itself. It's very annoying.

_________________
I reject your context and reality, and substitute my own.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 21:36 
User avatar
ugvm'er at heart...

Joined: 4th Mar, 2010
Posts: 21127
New CPU fan installed, it's a lot quieter.

... now I can hear the case fan ticking away, so I'll order a new one of that next :D

I fiddled with some BIOS shit, and I seem to be sleeping ok. Turned on ultra fast start, turned on wake on alarm, turned on wake on keyboard and mouse, turned off wake on lan.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 18:31 
User avatar
Esoteric

Joined: 12th Dec, 2008
Posts: 11493
Location: On Mars as an anthropologist...
Yeah it's one of the settings in bios I'm sure, but all of my boards are MSI and thus totally over complicated. Most notably the X99 Godlike which is frankly fucking ridiculous.

I bought a nice cheap SSD so I'm ready to build the bedroom PC. Well, once I've put four bikes into my mother's loft.

It should be quite respectablly really. I already know it can run TOW very well at 1440p.

The CPU only clocks to a measly 2.2ghz once loaded up, so I actually see worse performance at 1080p than I do at 1440p. Mostly because the CPU simply can't keep up with the Vega 64 wanting to stretch its legs. up that to 1440p and the GPU gets a much harder time of things, giving it the ability to get a proper workout.

That's why I always buy these Xeons. They're cheap, perform very well in highly threaded apps yet use like, 0.8v and never get hot or particularly stressed. I've never had a bsod and they don't guzzle power.

Do want 3950x Ryzen, can't affords.

_________________
I reject your context and reality, and substitute my own.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 19:37 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 45552
Location: West Yorkshire
The hinges and gubbins on a MacBook air can survive a three year old child landing on it from a height of two and half feet. Which I was very impressed with. Less so, the child.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 0:46 
User avatar
Esoteric

Joined: 12th Dec, 2008
Posts: 11493
Location: On Mars as an anthropologist...
Image

Typical Ebuyer. Order a 28" 4k monitor on the 23rd, hasn't arrived yet. Order a board and CPU, out of the blue the CPU arrived today... Alone.

Oh well, 1 out of 3 isn't bad lol.

_________________
I reject your context and reality, and substitute my own.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 14:19 
User avatar
Esoteric

Joined: 12th Dec, 2008
Posts: 11493
Location: On Mars as an anthropologist...
Image

Image

Image

Image

_________________
I reject your context and reality, and substitute my own.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 15:25 
User avatar
Prince of Fops

Joined: 14th May, 2009
Posts: 3011
The packing material matches your carpets nicely. Is your carpet in fact incredibly comfortable packing material?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 15:33 
User avatar
Esoteric

Joined: 12th Dec, 2008
Posts: 11493
Location: On Mars as an anthropologist...
Findus Fop wrote:
The packing material matches your carpets nicely. Is your carpet in fact incredibly comfortable packing material?


It's similar. I'm amazed it hasn't gone flat from all the pacing I do.

I guess they thought it through when building the place. Why use shite if you're going to have to do it again?

Don't like granite surfaces though. Anything you drop on it just smashes. I've done two ecig tanks and a pepper grinder so far.

_________________
I reject your context and reality, and substitute my own.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 15:38 
User avatar
Thanks

Joined: 11th May, 2008
Posts: 12701
Findus Fop wrote:
The packing material matches your carpets nicely. Is your carpet in fact incredibly comfortable packing material?


Get this man a regular column in Custom PC, immediately!

'Fop's Fabrics - Bringing softness into the world of tech'

_________________
The Premium YouTube Fruit Machine Emulation Experience - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth
Only £2 per month! *
* Not really.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 15:44 
User avatar
Prince of Fops

Joined: 14th May, 2009
Posts: 3011
Hearthly wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
The packing material matches your carpets nicely. Is your carpet in fact incredibly comfortable packing material?


Get this man a regular column in Custom PC, immediately!

'Fop's Fabrics - Bringing softness into the world of tech'


This week: Rig Rugs. Stuck on 500 GSM? Overclock your rig's rug game to 1700 GSM in just one weekend.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 16:11 
User avatar
Esoteric

Joined: 12th Dec, 2008
Posts: 11493
Location: On Mars as an anthropologist...
Sorry for disappoints, but no rugs.

The upside of buying a Threadripper 1920x (well, before they all sold out) was the price. £230 for a 12 core 24 thread chip with many PCIE lanes (48, IIRC). The downside? the board prices. Jesus they do make your eyes water. After many hours of research and being very annoyed at MSI and their quirks I decided to return to Gigabyte for the first time in many years. The problem is they do like 5 versions of the sort of same fucking thing, so I had to spend hours picking peanuts out of poo to figure it out (but I didn't get any on the carpet). Any way, it came down to paying £450 or something stupid for this.

Image

Or £260 for this.

Image

So £190 for mostly bling. Problem is I have a vertical GPU, so all of the slots are hidden any way. So that means the nice cover thing would be a waste of time, I don't need the extra power phases and I have more than enough RG bees in the cunt already. The dominator platinums play tetris, FFS. Plus the new block is RGB also, but I am considering removing that.

I turn the rig on and it looks like Blackpoool illuminations ffs.

Image

Also. I bought this for my other PC because it was mad cheap (mine's an engineering sample). I didn't realise how good they were, nor how reliable. Apparently they are the most reliable drives you can buy now. Which is good. So I am going to nick that out of my other rig and fit it.

Image

It's really, really fast and has really, really expensive cables ffs. Like £45. Thankfully the seller gave me mercy, and only charged me £15 for a U.2 to mini SAS adapter.

_________________
I reject your context and reality, and substitute my own.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 16:20 
User avatar
Prince of Fops

Joined: 14th May, 2009
Posts: 3011
Threadripper? Sounds like rug modding to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 23:06 
User avatar
Esoteric

Joined: 12th Dec, 2008
Posts: 11493
Location: On Mars as an anthropologist...
This should be happening next week. The PC is all stripped out.

Image

A little pump drying action.

Image

GPU

Image

Then I decided that because Threadripper has such a mental amount of lanes I would try and use loads up. So RAID NVME.

Image

At 4 lanes a piece, then my Intel U.2. But for that I needed this, which I already had.

Image

And then this.

Image

Thankfully I have two spare X16 ribbons, so I should be able to hide that somewhere. Got a heatsink for one of the drives (other one has cooling on the mobo)

Image

Then the usual "forget one and you're screwed" suspects.

Image

Image

_________________
I reject your context and reality, and substitute my own.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 5519 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Columbo, Pod People and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.