Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 5933 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 ... 119  Next
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 18:26 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Yeah they're great for defragging round the edges but you really need a wire brush and a half round file if you want to properly get up into the hypervisor.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 21:41 
Hello Hello Hello

Get your 2080 ordered now, from the low price of just £754!

Fucking hell.

By all accounts they kick about as hard as a 1080Ti in games that aren't RTX enabled (of which precisely zero currently exist), you can get a 1080Ti for £640.

10xx cards seem to have reverted back somewhat to their high prices, now it's obvious that the new world order is taking the fucking piss. So you're still looking at £500 for a 1080 and £250 for a 6GB 1060 (give or take).

It'll be interesting to see if prices drop substantially over the next few months, or if Nvidia really have managed to create a graphics card market at these price levels.

Attachment:
ARSETWAT.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 0:38 
Esoteric

Nvidia made far too many Pascal GPUs right at the crash of mining and were left holding the baby.

How do you sell them?

Make them look cheap.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 0:47 
Esoteric

Squirt wrote:
I'm intrigued as to what part of PC assembly required a claw hammer :D

Disassembly. :)

Some of the metal in the 5.25 bays was riveted inside other layers so it was drill out every rivet and then put it back together or "persuade" it out.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:11 
Hello Hello Hello

So the reviews and benchmarks are now out, in summary (and with my own comments).

2080 = 1080Ti but the 2080 costs £130 more than the 1080Ti

2080Ti comes in about 10-35% faster than the 1080Ti depending on the game, but it costs £480 (!!!!) more. (In essence a 75% price increase for a performance boost of, on average, around 20%.)

Nothing exists for RTX (ray tracing) yet, and when it does this generation of RTX cards won't be able to manage it anyway, DICE are talking about 1080p@60FPS with ray tracing ELEMENTS enabled on a 2080Ti. (The card that starts at £1100, remember.)

CONCLUSION - Absolutely do not buy an RTX card at the launch prices, if you want a high end graphics card, get a 1080Ti. Ray tracing won't go mainstream on this generation of graphics cards, (if it does at all in the near future, considering the way Nvidia are intending to segment GTX from RTX going forwards), wait for the 30xx series.

If the prices of the 20xx cards converge with the 10xx cards, then obviously getting the 20xx series makes sense.

If you want a 1080p graphics card, get a 6GB 1060.

For 1440p get a 1070/1070Ti/1080.

For 4K get a 1080Ti, the 2080Ti will ultra out at 60FPS where the 1080Ti might not, but you pay massively for it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:33 
Esoteric

It's far too early for these games to be able to be fully ray traced. The hardware simply isn't powerful enough. I have watched every review and to me it just feels like 4k all over again. I know people will tell me it is nothing like it, but as a "enthusiast" it has all of the markings. They show you something, yet no hardware to be able to fully max it out exists. "That's OK, just use two Titan Black cards". So you do, yet it's still not enough and then you have lots of issues. So you wait for the 980Ti (I ended up with a Titan XM) and it's *still* not enough. Then finally many years and £ later you finally get the 1080Ti, capable of running 60 FPS @ 4k in pretty much every game that exists.

Then, as soon as that happens Nvidia say "Now you need RT another £1200 plz thx m8 gr8". Yeah, nah. Just, nah.

I will wait for the "1080Ti of RT" thanks. Every one is trying to convince me that dropping to 1080p is OK because it's RT. Yeah, somehow I am just not buying that.

What you are paying for now? is a prototype, tech demo. Same as 4k on a single Titan. You can do it, but it won't be playable. Not at modern resolutions.

I still haven't met a game that my Titan XP can not run superbly at 4k. Gaming tech just hasn't advanced to even make it break a sweat. That is why I am keeping it, and moving it into a new build with better cooling for the CPU.

Then we get to the "Good enough" argument that has been going back and forth on a lot of tech sites recently. There are all sorts of tricks to make games look beautiful and IMO some of them really do. More than enough for me, any way. I also worry that RT games may end up looking too realistic, 'cause let's face it who apart from Jeffrey Dahmer is going to feel comfortable putting some one's head on a spike if it looks totally photo realistic?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 13:58 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Can't you just play the games for fun, rather than stressing about frame rate and pixels and spending £1000s...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 14:11 
ugvm'er at heart...

KovacsC wrote:
Can't you just play the games for fun, rather than stressing about frame rate and pixels and spending £1000s...

Not sure I understand? At what FPS does the fun start?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 14:15 
Excellent Member

KovacsC wrote:

People who buy and care about high end hardware still enjoy playing games; any of Hearthlys posts elsewhere on the forum are testament to that. Don't be That Guy just because you're not interested. Christ, especially don't be That Guy in the very thread designated for specifically this exact chat!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 14:16 
Bad Girl

KovacsC wrote:

Are you new here? This is the gaming hardware thread.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 14:28 
Excellent Member

Quote:
2080Ti comes in about 10-35% faster than the 1080Ti depending on the game, but it costs £480 (!!!!) more. (In essence a 75% price increase for a performance boost of, on average, around 20%.)

Do you have a link to any results? Lot people at work with 1080TI systems (4 or more of them in a server) asking for these,

I was under the impression as are they that you got something close to 2X 1080TI's worth of power in the £1300 new cards, so was a good idea when spending company money

I have told them all we needed to see benchmarks before doing anything.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 14:38 
Hello Hello Hello

asfish wrote:
Quote:

Do you have a link to any results? Lot people at work with 1080TI systems (4 or more of them in a server) asking for these,

I was under the impression as are they that you got something close to 2X 1080TI's worth of power in the £1300 new cards, so was a good idea when spending company money

I have told them all we needed to see benchmarks before doing anything.

You might get better results in tasks that scale perfectly with pure GPU workloads, all the stuff I've been watching is focused on games performance, whilst noting that 3DMark results and suchlike flatter the 2080/2080Ti somewhat.

The '2 x 1080' claims (IIRC no one claimed 2 x 1080Ti?) were based on Nvidia deliberately choosing edge cases in games where the 2080 did particularly well compared to the 1080.

This is what gaming benchmarks are coming in at, almost within the margin of error between the 2080/1080Ti a lot of time, with one or the other generally edging ahead of the other a bit.

So to your answer your specific question, I don't really know!

Attachment:
perfermo.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 14:41 
Esoteric

KovacsC wrote:

That's totally what I do now. Since buying my XB I have hardly gamed on my PC really. I have ordered FO76 for PC, so no doubt I will be using it then (a lot).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 14:42 
Hello Hello Hello

And here's a typical 1080Ti versus 2080Ti example, with the 2080Ti coming in 25% faster. (Whilst costing 75% more.)

Attachment:
Tiers.JPG

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 14:47 
Esoteric

My XP happily boosts to 2100mhz and slightly beyond with no issues. I've tried pushing it further, but it is being artificially limited somewhere 'cause temps are not the issue (it's only hitting 44c fully stressed).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 15:56 
Gogmagog

JohnCoffey wrote:
My XP happily boosts to 2100mhz and slightly beyond with no issues. I've tried pushing it further, but it is being artificially limited somewhere 'cause temps are not the issue (it's only hitting 44c fully stressed).

Can you overclock it?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 17:07 
Hello Hello Hello

KovacsC wrote:

It's not a question of stressing out, I find all this stuff interesting, and whilst I never buy at the cutting edge I do like to keep an eye on what's going on in that space.

It's also a good indicator of what'll end up in the mainstream arena and consoles going forward. Realtime ray tracing absolutely will be a thing in the future of games, and you have to doff your cap to Nvidia for kicking it all off with the RTX cards, but this is basically just 'tech demo' stages at the moment, and they're charging nonsense money for it.

I do play games for fun, hence the PS4 Pro, XBox One X and Nintendo Switch sat under the big telly at the moment, and the Nintendo 2DS XL that's always on hand as well :)

In the PC space however, I like to keep abreast of where things are going from a tech level. (And this is surely the thread for discussion of that type of thing!)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:21 
Esoteric

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZgX4EfIiXc&t=658s

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 15:29 
Prince of Fops

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Not really gaming hardware, but I will do some gaming on it, so here's an update anyway: this happened yesterday.

I've started looking at the Surface Go for doing work on my commute and the sofa.

But then I thought i'd like to do some kind of gaming, which the Go of course can't manage.

Which Surface Pro is yours, and can you squeeze, say, Xcom 2 out of it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 15:33 

Findus Fop wrote:
Which Surface Pro is yours, and can you squeeze, say, Xcom 2 out of it?

i5 8 GB. Good lord, I doubt it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 15:35 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I don't, because I play it on my Surface 3 i5. The settings are wound down fo sho, but it runs.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 15:35 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Note that you don't want to do it without the power plugged in.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 15:36 
Prince of Fops

Grim... wrote:
Note that you don't want to do it without the power plugged in.

Would it survive a 60 minute train journey?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 15:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mine wouldn't, but it's had a hard life and it's well old.

A new one probably would? I can't really say.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 16:03 

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Not really gaming hardware, but I will do some gaming on it, so here's an update anyway: this happened yesterday.

Have you had much chance to play around with this Rich? If so, how are you finding it?

I need to find time to reply to this in detail. Short version: it's not perfect but I like it a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 14:07 
Prince of Fops

I'm gearing up to purchase a Surface Go for my commute. Form factor seems right for taking on the train or just sitting with on the sofa at home. Gaming obviously won't really be an option.

It's at this point I discover MS Office is a much more complicated thing to purchase than it was a few years ago. It seems the world of Office 365 offers is vipers' nest of scams and dodgy keys.

Any reliable, LEGAL, good value ways of purchasing Office 365 subs?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 14:11 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Er... From Microsoft?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 14:17 
Prince of Fops

I thought that £60 a year is a bit punchy. Though will obviously go with that if it's the best offer. Man cannot live on WordPerfect and Lotus Notes alone, afterall!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 14:28 
Hello Hello Hello

With 1TB of cloud storage I think it's a bit of a steal TBH.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 14:50 
UltraMod

I pay £7.99 a month and it pays for itself many times over.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 15:29 
Prince of Fops

I think I couldn't help recoiling at the thought of spunking an annual fee on software that I've historically not updated much more than once every five years. But I agree, £60 isn't unreasonable in the scheme of things (less than a pint a we- BANG)

Have now found a Surface GO bundle on John Lewis that includes it for £40, effectively.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:16 
Can you dig it?

And to think the 'games for typewriters' line proved controversial here, many moons ago.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 0:03 
Esoteric

Still plugging away. Gave it a lift job the other day, so the bottom PSU fan can get air.

And a quick mock up.

And today I built up one of the features of the front.

Tadaaaa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 14:10 
Esoteric

God dammit I don't even like RGB FFS

So I bought four of these.

As you do, FFS. I made sure they were the correct type for me (ignore Aura Sync that is 3 pin...)

Darn good thing I got this now

Got a feeling I am gonna need it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:23 
Esoteric

Ungodly.Hours.Days.Weeks..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 22:45 
Esoteric

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:41 
Prince of Fops

I got a Surface Go the other day, and its petite form factor and lovely keyboard were exactly what I was after for having something discrete in my bag that I can whip out to work on during the commute etc.

However, the battery life was dreadful. I needed to charge it like I do my mobile phone. Even on a day when I didn't turn it on (and it wasn't sleeping, it was actually shut down), if I didn't plug it in that night, there would be no juice in the morning.

So I sent it back to John Lewis, and spent at least 45 minutes looking for a replacement. I landed on a second-hand XPS 13, which comes in at a similar price point.

Not nearly as light, but still light by laptop standards, a pleasure to type on, excellent screen, battery life seems good and I CAN PLAY WAR OF THE CHOSEN and it looks all right.

So all's well that ends well. Until it unexpectedly dies on me and I have no recourse as it came from eBay (though it does have Dell Warranty until 2020. Apparently.)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:58 
UltraMod

I'm glad it was discrete and not conjoined with another tablet!

Sorry to hear you had to send it back, but I'm sure poor battery life was mentioned here when you asked.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 13:32 
Prince of Fops

Lonewolves wrote:
I'm glad it was discrete and not conjoined with another tablet!

Sorry to hear you had to send it back, but I'm sure poor battery life was mentioned here when you asked.

Ha true. I like my tech Siamese.

I was prepared for poor battery life but not for it to completely drain from full, in a day, even without switching it on. Basically meant I had to charge it every night, even if I hadn't been using it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 13:45 
UltraMod

Ok that is weird. I had it once with my Switch that it drained from full to empty in two hours on standby, but it hasn't done it since.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 20:50 

Do not talk to me or my Large Adult Monitor again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 20:53 
Unpossible!

Four-K-ing hell, that's a nice resolution

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 21:22 

It’s a looooooong way down to the bottom left corner for the ol’ mouse cursor.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 22:55 
Unpossible!

A valid usage case for setting your windows scaling to 200%

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 22:58 
Sitting balls-back folder

Is it thump, what's the point buying all the pixels you just scale them away?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 23:02 
Unpossible!

Ask Apple and their retina displays

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 23:07 
Sitting balls-back folder

If it's an 8k or small 4k display fine, scale away, but I bought a 30" one so I can have masses of desktop. It would seem the Doc did the same.

Mouse pointers do start being an issue.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 23:17 

BikNorton wrote:
If it's an 8k or small 4k display fine, scale away, but I bought a 30" one so I can have masses of desktop. It would seem the Doc did the same.

Yup. That’s a 43” 4K display. At 100% scaling, it’s about 110 dpi, which is the same as a 27”/1440p screen. I’ve explicitly bought it to run at that resolution for desktop work.

However; this one was an Amazon warehouse deal and turned out to have a scratch on the sceeen, so I’m returning it and looking for another.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 13:35 

That monitor literally makes me nervous.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 14:37 
Hello Hello Hello

I'm on the lookout for a good 4K screen but I'll go 32 inch I think. I really need MOAR PIXELS for when I am doing content creation stuff. I also want to be able to have three fruit machines running side by side in the emulator so it'll be like having my own arcade, and it'll be good for the videos too.

It'll generate some massive Bandicam files though, I'm already working with individual files of up to 20GB in size sometimes, thank fuck modern computers are so fast.

The digital edit suites I worked on in the late 90s would have fucking shit themselves if I'd have tried to do some of the stuff I take for granted now, and they cost £50K and more.

Reply to topic  [ 5933 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 ... 119  Next