Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 17: The DavSpazening
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:24 
Gogmagog

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/busine ... oft698.pdf

There ya go, something to read.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:25 

Sheila's Wheels will quite happily insure men (and in a lot of cases are cheaper than other non-discriminatory insurers) so they can't be done for discrimination. The adverts are horribly sexist though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:26 
Gogmagog

GazChap wrote:
Sheila's Wheels will quite happily insure men (and in a lot of cases are cheaper than other non-discriminatory insurers) so they can't be done for discrimination. The adverts are horribly sexist though.

It's the pink, scented cover note that puts me off, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:32 
Honey Boo Boo

While Sheila's Wheels is annoying, the 'police' version they used for (CSI? Law & Order?) made me laugh so I can't completely hate them.

Those Diamond adverts, where the smug bitch spontaneously bursts into song about how Diamond is a girl's best friend DID piss me off. I wanted to forcefeed her the table from that fucking posh coffee shop, the bitch.

How about an insurance company for men? EXTREME Insurance or GRIT insurance or something?

"Here at Grit insurance, we appreciate that as a male driver that any accident you're going to be in will likely be serious, but at the same time you are 100 times less likely to claim because you've crashed into the inside of your own garage.

With this in mind, we keep our premiums low because one big smash in your big saloon will cost us less than ten Corsas being reversed into bollards."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:47 
Esoteric

Cheers Mal. I found an email address for the MD so I have sent him the following.

Quote:
Good morning. I have just had to trawl the internet to find someone to contact as your site is giving me problems.

I ordered a graphics card on Monday at around 4pm. Your website was slow and buggy and in honesty I wish I had not placed the order now. After about a 20 minute wait for your site to confirm the order I recieved an email with this in it a cart reference number xxxxxxxxxxxxx so I assumed my order had been placed.

I waited yesterday for shipping confirmation and or a tracking number and recieved neither so I tried to log in at your site. However, my login details do not work and your site is telling me my account does not exist. I tried using the details I clearly remember setting up and I have tried to change my password just incase I had it wrong but your website is telling me my account does not exist.

So I called a number I found on the internet and after being put on hold have been told your systems are down. This is of no help to me at all. The reason I used your site was because you advertise as next day delivery. Now it's pretty obvious that this next day delivery is not about to happen and thus I have spent £141 on something that will not arrive when I expected it to.

This of course falls foul of the distant selling act. The problem is of course that I am not getting any answers from you that help me. I also cannot order another card from someone who could actually get it to me because I do not have the funds and tbh I don't even know if the order placed with you because you cannot answer my questions. All I seem to get is the 'systems are down' excuse.

Please help me with this.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:51 
Sitting balls-back folder

MaliA wrote:
I (think I) used that very roundabout on Friday. I'm pretty sure I too wanted the third exit.
Edit: Yes, going back to the previous sign, indeed I did.
DavPaz wrote:
My least favourite roundabout is the entrance to junction 6 of the M62. No one ever seems to know where they're going so it's like driving in France!
That's not a fun junction. They should have tried something when they rebuilt the rest of it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:57 
Honey Boo Boo

BikNorton wrote:
That's not a fun junction.

I'd show you a fun junction (aka the twernt, barse, biffin bridge) but it's NSFW.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:05 

Just to point out JC, advertising "Next Day Delivery" doesn't mean that the seller has to deliver the item to you the day after you order it. It just means they have to deliver the item to you the day after they despatch it. Check their terms and conditions.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:11 
Gogmagog

BikNorton wrote:
MaliA wrote:
I (think I) used that very roundabout on Friday. I'm pretty sure I too wanted the third exit.

You were, at some point, then about 400m from MaliTowers. Only I was out, probably. I don't mind, you know.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:28 
Unpossible!

Here's my first run at the football

DELETED AS IS RUBBISH> SEE LATER IN THREAD.

Needs more depth and details

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:30 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

MaliA wrote:
BikNorton wrote:
MaliA wrote:

You were, at some point, then about 400m from MaliTowers. Only I was out, probably. I don't mind, you know.

Why is one of the locations fuzzed out? It isn't even the MOD facility.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:32 
Gogmagog

Morte wrote:
MaliA wrote:
BikNorton wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Why is one of the locations fuzzed out? It isn't even the MOD facility.

Good point. No idea. It's "Ambrosden" which is where a lot of army people live and has a school and a hairdressing shop and a newsagents, and that's about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:33 
Gogmagog

Dear Computer people:

http://megahal.alioth.debian.org/

using that can we have a BeeXBot that will learn from our posts and occasional drop its science upon us assembled?

Please?

Or expain to me how one would get written?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:48 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Speaking of roundabouts, there's one at the Cheshire Oaks where people use the left lane for all exits. It frustrates me muchly, but more annoying is how a lot of the driving test routes pass through that place; you will fail if you go in the left lane to go right, but go in the right lane and you'll be met by cars circumnavigating and will also possibly manage to fail. Nasty.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:49 
Skillmeister

Roundabouts are like a circle,
Sometimes pink but often purple.
Always give way to the right,
Because if you don't you are a bag of shite.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:52 
Unpossible!

Malabar Front wrote:
Speaking of roundabouts, there's one at the Cheshire Oaks where people use the left lane for all exits. It frustrates me muchly, but more annoying is how a lot of the driving test routes pass through that place; you will fail if you go in the left lane to go right, but go in the right lane and you'll be met by cars circumnavigating and will also possibly manage to fail. Nasty.

Oh, Christ yes. Coming off the Motorway from the south and hitting those 2 roundabouts is like going around the Arc de Triomphe sometimes, especially a saturday.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:56 
Honey Boo Boo

There's a roundabout in the middle of Bridgend where BOTH LANES can go right. My bike instructor took me around it on practically every lesson so I would recognize and fear it. Apparently the examiners also take you around it, and tut angrily if you move needlessly over to the right lane because you didn't know you could stay on the left to take the second exit (three exits on the roundabout in total)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 13:02 

DavPaz wrote:
Oh, Christ yes. Coming off the Motorway from the south and hitting those 2 roundabouts is like going around the Arc de Triomphe sometimes, especially a saturday.

Heading towards the motorway on the Sainsbury's/Oaks roundabout yesterday we got into the right lane to take the 3rd exit. It's a two-lane exit and we needed to be in the left section, but as always were blocked in by a stream of cars circumnavigating. Fucking pricks, the lot of them. They never indicate, either.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 13:15 
Sitting balls-back folder

MaliA wrote:
BikNorton wrote:
MaliA wrote:
It was about 4.45pm by that point, and I was late for pub friday, having left Milton Keynes late.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 13:18 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Dimrill wrote:
Has anyone tried to challenge the sex discrimination that's apparently legal from Shelia's Wheels yet?

Insurance companies are allowed to discriminate on everything apart from race (otherwise everyone would pay the same premiums).
Anyway, Shelia's Wheels is just eSure with a different name, and only exists because Winner pissed off so many women with his "calm down, dear" adverts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 13:23 
Skillmeister

Is that why Craster and Ramsea pay so much extra? Ginger people are more accident prone.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 13:24 

I don't think that you actually need to be female to get a quote from Sheila's Wheels, it's just a marketing thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 13:25 
Honey Boo Boo

Grim... wrote:
shelia's Wheels is just eSure with a different name, and only exists because Winner pissed off so many women with his "calm down, dear" adverts.

I'd at least piss on Winner if he was on fire, which is more than I'd have done for Mister "Fucking" Mouse.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 13:32 

I'm doing a City & Guilds Dreamweaver course at college and last night was lesson 2. I've used Dreamweaver in the past, but haven't done any proper website making in 10 years, so enrolled on the Level 1 'Beginner' course so I could pick it all up from scratch, figuring that I could then use that to later enrol on the Level 2 and possibly the Level 3 courses.

I was prepared for the course being really easy, but I wasn't quite prepared for some of my fellow students. One is a very charming disabled lady, who is clearly a veteran at the college. I'm wondering if she enrolled on the course for something to do, as she doesn't seem the most confident computer user I've ever seen. She often needs to interupt the lesson by loudly stating "I'm sorry, I've completely lost you now", requiring the tutor to go over and try to slowly explain the last half hour of the lesson to her again. She needed help working out how to get to the Save function (psst, check the 'File' menu). She's lovely and I really feel for her, but y'know, it can be a tad frustrating for the rest of us when the lesson ends and we've only managed to do half of what was scheduled for the evening.

Also, we have a guy in his late 50's or so who is clearly some kind of IT person and so feels the need to argue with the tutor quite a bit. This would all be fine were it not for the fact that he's always completely wrong about whatever point he feels he needs to argue about. He got in quite a strop in the first lesson, where the tutor tried to drum into us the difference between the terms 'Internet' and 'World Wide Web' by asking if the Internet needed the WWW. Of course, the answer is "no". Old IT dude begged to differ, quite vociferously, by harping on about how the WWW is what allows data to be sent across the Internet and how without it, the Net couldn't function - and no amount of explaining about internet protocols, etc would make him see different. Last night he asked the tutor if buying 'Dreamweaver DX' would be sufficient for doing his college work on and got in another huff when the tutor explained that no such version of Dreamweaver actually exists.

So yeah, all fun. The entire course is downloadable online and I'm giving serious thoughts to just blasting through it one evening.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 13:37 

http://www.lynda.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 13:40 
Unpossible!

Malabar Front wrote:

Wow, thanks. I'll sit through the Max tutorials.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 13:41 

Zio wrote:
She's lovely and I really feel for her.

Don't even think about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 13:43 
Honey Boo Boo

Zio wrote:

So yeah, all fun. The entire course is downloadable online and I'm giving serious thoughts to just blasting through it one evening.

Excellent. It reminds me of being in... well, practically every computer-related class in school, ever. I fondly remember our communications technology teacher who would shriek things like 'Nooooooo, get out of the C prompt, you'll format the hard drive!!!!!!'. I spent half the early lessons asleep and the other half helping pretty girls copy files to their personal floppies.

Lessons were soon greatly improved when I brought in 4D Boxing, Stunts and the Cannon Fodder demo. So much so that the following year the 'welcome to Comm. Tech' sheet advised that anyone found playing games would be marked down 5% on their final grade for each occasion.[

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 13:48 
Chinny chin chin

JohnCoffey wrote:
Looks like I'm a victim of SVP then.

And what did uncle Chinny point out to everyone a while back, and again about 2 weeks ago?

The SVP we knew doesn't exist any more. It was bought out, moved 500 miles across the country and the only thing is shares with the old SVP is the name.

New SVP are just another internet tat peddler with no customer service skills. The first clue was when the genuinly useful weekly bargains email was replaced with the witterings of some moron girl.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 13:49 

DavPaz wrote:
Malabar Front wrote:

Wow, thanks. I'll sit through the Max tutorials.

It's a brilliant site, and not too expensive, either. I should probably nag work to resubscribe.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 13:51 
Hibernating Druid

GazChap wrote:
Zio wrote:

Too late. He's been in the room with her.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 13:53 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Zio wrote:
She's lovely and I really feel for her, but y'know, it can be a tad frustrating for the rest of us when the lesson ends and we've only managed to do half of what was scheduled for the evening.

I had someone like that in a course I did - they didn't know how to copy and paste.
I complained, and they (quite rightly) made her get her ECDL before she could continue. So complain.

Zio wrote:
Also, we have a guy in his late 50's or so who is clearly some kind of IT person and so feels the need to argue with the tutor quite a bit.

There's always one of them - it's hilarious :D

Zio wrote:
Last night he asked the tutor if buying 'Dreamweaver DX' would be sufficient for doing his college work on and got in another huff when the tutor explained that no such version of Dreamweaver actually exists.

He meant 'MX', and the correct answer is "Don't buy Dreamweaver".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 13:54 

GazChap wrote:
Zio wrote:

You (nor she, for that matter) have anything to fear in that regard.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 13:55 
Hibernating Druid

You've had the snip?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 13:55 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Zardoz wrote:
You've had the snip?

He tried, but as soon as the doctor touched his balls she got pregnant and had to leave.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 13:58 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Zio wrote:
I'm doing a City & Guilds Dreamweaver course at college and last night was lesson 2. I've used Dreamweaver in the past, but haven't done any proper website making in 10 years, so enrolled on the Level 1 'Beginner' course so I could pick it all up from scratch, figuring that I could then use that to later enrol on the Level 2 and possibly the Level 3 courses.

I was prepared for the course being really easy, but I wasn't quite prepared for some of my fellow students. One is a very charming disabled lady, who is clearly a veteran at the college. I'm wondering if she enrolled on the course for something to do, as she doesn't seem the most confident computer user I've ever seen. She often needs to interupt the lesson by loudly stating "I'm sorry, I've completely lost you now", requiring the tutor to go over and try to slowly explain the last half hour of the lesson to her again. She needed help working out how to get to the Save function (psst, check the 'File' menu). She's lovely and I really feel for her, but y'know, it can be a tad frustrating for the rest of us when the lesson ends and we've only managed to do half of what was scheduled for the evening.

Also, we have a guy in his late 50's or so who is clearly some kind of IT person and so feels the need to argue with the tutor quite a bit. This would all be fine were it not for the fact that he's always completely wrong about whatever point he feels he needs to argue about. He got in quite a strop in the first lesson, where the tutor tried to drum into us the difference between the terms 'Internet' and 'World Wide Web' by asking if the Internet needed the WWW. Of course, the answer is "no". Old IT dude begged to differ, quite vociferously, by harping on about how the WWW is what allows data to be sent across the Internet and how without it, the Net couldn't function - and no amount of explaining about internet protocols, etc would make him see different. Last night he asked the tutor if buying 'Dreamweaver DX' would be sufficient for doing his college work on and got in another huff when the tutor explained that no such version of Dreamweaver actually exists.

A perfect summary of my four years of adult learning when I was studying ACCA. At least I was being paid as a work day for it every time though. We actually called our equivalent of your disabled woman 'Scuse Me' as she would interupt any five minute flow of learning with this politeness, and would then remove any head of steam that had been built up. When she came to apply for year 3, the uni refused her application as we had made representation that if they took her on again, they would lose ten of us.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 14:00 

Grim... wrote:
Zio wrote:
Last night he asked the tutor if buying 'Dreamweaver DX' would be sufficient for doing his college work on and got in another huff when the tutor explained that no such version of Dreamweaver actually exists.

He meant 'MX', and the correct answer is "Don't buy Dreamweaver".

Heh, the tutor actually said that to him (the 'MX' bit, not the 'don't buy it' bit), but he was having none of it.

I'm going to do the whole course now because I've already paid for it, but I do wish I'd gone straight in for the Level 2 Intermediate course. In the late 90's I was making decent (ie, better than Geocities-grade at least) websites with Windows Notepad, but I've forgotten 75% of the HTML tags now and I've never even dabbled with CSS (Brazilian dance band, innit?), hence my trepidation. But seriously, I could do this course in my sleep and still come out with a distinction.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 14:00 

Zardoz wrote:
You've had the snip?

Lead-lined boxers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 14:12 
Unpossible!

Rufus never tells them his name! They tell themselves it! What's his real name??

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 14:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Zio wrote:
In the late 90's I was making decent (ie, better than Geocities-grade at least) websites with Windows Notepad, but I've forgotten 75% of the HTML tags now and I've never even dabbled with CSS (Brazilian dance band, innit?), hence my trepidation.

You should stick with Notepad (well, TextPad), IMO. Dreamweaver isn't bad, but it still makes 'bad' websites. And it's spendy. Sites you code yourself will be cleaner and faster.
And CSS is easy peasy. Just start here.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 14:38 
Excellently Membered

<SHARE>I like the clown bit... probably not worth watching the rest... thx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2To-4mBdWAQ</SHARE>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 14:44 
Best
Board Mother

devilman wrote:
Always heart-warming to log into facebook to see that some friends have joined groups supporting the EDL and stuff like 'You live in our country, speak our f**king language!'

Heart-warming may be the wrong word here.

Sounds like Lisa. Also "Lisa joined the group F*ck Islam And F*ck allah." Nice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 14:46 
Unpossible!

But, even Muslims can accept that the Christian God and Allah are the same 'thing', just the methods or worship are different. Why would someone want to, ahem, 'F*ck Allah'?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 14:56 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

DavPaz wrote:
Why would someone want to, ahem, 'F*ck Allah'?

Thousands of years of kegels.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 15:11 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Does anyone else read a post from Zio and get to :

Zio wrote:

I was prepared for the course being really easy, but I wasn't quite prepared for some of my fellow students. One is a very charming disabled lady,

And thinks by the end of this paragraph she'll be pregnant ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 15:12 
Paws for thought

zaphod79 wrote:
Does anyone else read a post from Zio and get to :

Zio wrote:

I was prepared for the course being really easy, but I wasn't quite prepared for some of my fellow students. One is a very charming disabled lady,

And thinks by the end of this paragraph she'll be pregnant ?

:boots:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 15:13 
Unpossible!

Better football vid.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 15:17 

Grim... wrote:
Zio wrote:
You should stick with Notepad (well, TextPad), IMO. Dreamweaver isn't bad, but it still makes 'bad' websites. And it's spendy. Sites you code yourself will be cleaner and faster.
And CSS is easy peasy. Just start here.

Dreamweaver isn't bad as a glorified text editor, but it is incredibly bloated. I wouldn't dream of using any of its WYSIWYG bits. I use Komodo Edit right now, which offers almost everything I want from an editor.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 15:19 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I got as far as

Zio wrote:
I'm doing a...

before I started planning for the baby shower

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 15:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Malabar Front wrote:
Dreamweaver isn't bad as a glorified text editor, but it is incredibly bloated. I wouldn't dream of using any of its WYSIWYG bits. I use Komodo Edit right now, which offers almost everything I want from an editor.

I use PHPEd, which is horribly expensive and simply the best thing that exists to do PHP in.
That Komodo Edit does look nice, though. Does it have File upload bits, or SVN stuff?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 60  Next