Post subject: Re: Heavy Rain
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 17:06 
Excellent Member

anyone playing this yet?

ive got it, will give a bash this evening hopefully

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 21:12 
Bad Girl

I've played the first four scenes, two of which are in the demo, and it's interesting but feels clumsy. The voice acting is terrible an' all and for some strange reason I'm reminded of The Getaway (remember that?) when I play it, but I can't place my finger on why.

Love that guys house though. I thinking about doing my kitchen and its given me some ideas.

Anyway, I've switched it off now and its not going on until I've completed Bayonetta.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:06 
Excellent Member

think ive done about 8 scenes so far, really enjoying it despite the voice acting sometimes not great.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:49 

I went to get this yesterday afternoon but it was sold out everywhere I went (everywhere I went being Blockbusters and Asda), quite surprised me really, I didn't think it would get so much interest.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:17 
Excellent Member

The more i read about this game, the more i want to play Civilization V.

It just seems like the Dragon's Lair of 2010.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 16:08 

It's not very good.

I'll play through it but it really isn't very good on any level. It's a shite film and a worse game all rolled into one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 18:32 
Excellent Member

I'm confused. Has David Cage remade the Kit Ramsey/Al Bowfinger sci-fi classic Chubby Rain into a game?

If so, the ending is a classic. "I'M GONNA GIT YOU, YOU ALIEN SUCKAS!" *Flying saucer explodes*

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 18:33 
UltraMod

markg wrote:
It's not very good.

I'll play through it but it really isn't very good on any level. It's a shite film and a worse game all rolled into one.

Did you like Fahrenheit at all?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 18:35 

Penny Arcade:
Quote:
I've spent a couple nights with Heavy Rain now and I think it's really special. If you're a parent, (especially a Dad) this game can be pretty difficult to play at times. In fact I'm curious if people who don't have kids will end up getting as much out of it. I don't know if it's an 89.85%, or a 9.7 out of 10. What I do know is that after a late night playing it, I sneak into my son's room and hug him before I go to bed. I think Heavy Rain is probably one of the most important games ever made. Maybe not one of the best, but definitely important.

And
Quote:
When there was an Olive Garden close enough for us to frequent, Gabriel and I did so with great enthusiasm. We were drawn there by its Tuscan authenticity, and also the fact that you could at that time secure an infinite amount of food for four dollars. That struck us as a solid rate of exchange.

Gabriel likes that - when they bring out the check - it is heaped with Andes Mints. He likes to imply, just above the threshold of audible speech, that he will make it "worth their while" if they should bring more than the customary one mint per person. Understand that this is even more ridiculous than it seems: I don't even like Andes Mints. He's already up one mint simply because I'm there.

While he is eating the mint - the first mint at any rate, the first of many - he is folding the tiny foil wrapper into semblance of its previous shape. When it has assumed some facsimile of mintfulness, he will then offer it to you. It's not worth refusing it, it's really not, because the offer will be repeated until you play out your role in his twisted pageant. Unfolding the wrapper, you will discover that no mint is present.

"You dumb fucker," he'll say, unwrapping another mint. "God, you're stupid."

Opening that empty wrapper is what it's like playing through the parts of Heavy Rain you've done before. Virtually drying yourself off with a virtual towel virtually is not an act which endures repetition.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 19:00 
Honey Boo Boo

Very true. Story type stuff only really stands up to two, maybe three viewings. Once where you're all wide-eyed and wow, a second time where you watch it again to take it all in, and a third where you, becoming weary, take in anything else you might've missed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 19:52 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I love the amount of effort that went into that mint wrapper analogy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:07 

myoptikakaka wrote:
markg wrote:
It's not very good.

Did you like Fahrenheit at all?

I can't remember much of it now. I know I didn't finish it. To be fair though that was very much my first impression of Heavy Rain, after the first session I really wasn't itching for a second, however when I finally did play some more it got a little bit better. I'm still not sold on the concept though, it feels like a game trying to do what things that are plainly more suited to films. The idea that the minimal input you have over proceedings makes you more involved is valid to an extent but I dunno.

Maybe there's something in there but it's let down by the rather hackneyed story and voice acting? Not sure but there's just too many scenes which would still be boring and pointless if they were in a film. If this game highlights anything it's that there's a fucking good reason why most games which take inspiration from films tend to concentrate on car chases and shootouts. And seeing NPCs doing weird glitchy things like walking round in endless small circles in the middle of a supposedly serious crime thriller does tend to ruin the immersion a bit as does seeing your own character spinning three 180s just to try and open a cupboard.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:32 

markg wrote:
...walking round in endless small circles in the middle of a supposedly serious crime thriller does tend to ruin the immersion a bit as does seeing your own character spinning three 180s just to try and open a cupboard.
Not a fan of Monk then?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 14:44 
Honey Boo Boo

Wullie wrote:
markg wrote:
...walking round in endless small circles in the middle of a supposedly serious crime thriller does tend to ruin the immersion a bit as does seeing your own character spinning three 180s just to try and open a cupboard.
Not a fan of Monk then?

POTW!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:35 

I finally finished this. The number of different endings (3-7 variations for each of four characters, so 20-30 or so in all) rather belies the "it's not really a game" theory. Also, if you're no good at it (like me) then my god, you get some serious downer endings (like me)...

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Shaun saved, but Jayden killed in a car crusher, Madison exploded in a burning building, Lauren drowning, Ethan shot by the fuzz, and Scott getting away!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:52 

Heh, I played this using the Move controls. During one scene, I had to quickly get up and do something, so paused it and on coming back got one of the characters killed. It was incredibly frustrating as I had no idea what I'd been doing wrong.

Then in the next scene, the next character just stood still and wouldn't move. Only then did I realise that my nunchuk controller had turned itself off when I'd paused it earlier, and that was why I couldn't stop the previous character from being killed.

Bloody thing.

Still, it's quite something is Heavy Rain, and the Playstation Move is also surprisingly excellent!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 13:40 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Is this cheap enough for me to get it yet?

I hope so.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 13:48 

Incidentally, I really enjoyed it although I think I'd struggle to call it a great game as such. Despite the Uncanny Valley and some occasionally flat voice acting, there was at least one part that I was genuinely unable to make myself do the unpleasant thing the game demanded of me

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Cut Ethan's finger off in the third trial.

and, indeed, I stopped playing at that point and didn't go back to it for a long time. I can't think of any other games that provoked that strong an emotional reaction. It must have done something right.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 13:50 

TheVision wrote:

I hope so.
It's £14.85 delivered on Zavvi. Want my copy for something less than that? It's pristine.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 13:52 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
TheVision wrote:

I hope so.
It's £14.85 delivered on Zavvi. Want my copy for something less than that? It's pristine.

If you're done with it I'll definitely take it off your hands. How much do you want for it?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 13:53 

TheVision wrote:

I hope so.

The PS3? No.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 14:35 

I know it's that old "you wouldn't understand" cliché, but I do genuinely believe PA were right when they say you appreciate this game even more when you have kids. Some parts of it were genuinely upsetting for me, as a parent.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 19:24 
Hello Hello Hello

I just downloaded this as it's one of the PS PLUS games this month.

Opinion at BEEX is most certainly divided. I am intrigued.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 20:04 
Bad Girl

Reading this back it’s funny that people were complaining about QTEs as being reductive gameplay elements. This was prior to the phrase Walking Simulator being coined and before Telltale made games that you’re barely involved in.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:10 
Hello Hello Hello

I put a couple of hours into this last night. It really doesn't start off well and whilst I appreciate it's basically the tutorial I was still rather underwhelmed by shaking my pad around like a tit to get my chap to brush his teeth and whatnot. I was half expecting to have to do it to shake his dick off after having a piss. Also, naked man in the first five minutes - I WANT BOOBS.

The voice acting in that section is poor too, I felt it got better once you're out of the opening scenes but it's still not great.

The graphics look very much like what they are, last-gen with a bit of a shiny remaster.

The controls are unspeakably bad, I know the game is cracking on a bit now but I don't ever remember a game with controls this clunky. Press R2 to walk, really? Even after a couple of hours I was still routinely doing something completely different to what I intended, and pressing the L1 button to change the camera angle to help 'explore' often flips the view in such a way that the controls are kind of flipped as well and you end up going back the way you just came. I didn't mind the QTE stuff overall, though.

Despite all that, it did slowly get its hooks into me and I felt engaged with the story and the world, certainly enough that I'll be back for more tonight. (The terror of the mall scene when the lad disappears really started to escalate and get to me, and then the juxtaposition with where the characters are in the next scene was great.)

MINUS BIG POINTS for no manual save though, and just a generic 'If you return to the main menu you'll lose all your progress since the last save' message, and there was no obvious way to tell when the last save had actually been. (If there was a little spinny circle on screen somewhere, I missed it.)

So far, definitely interested enough to see more.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:08 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
The terror of the mall scene when the lad disappears really started to escalate and get to me

JAAASSSOONNN!

Also: lucky you, you've got the 'depressing weekend dad simulator' level to look forward to yet. Rarely has a gaming experience been so grim.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:22 

That's Cage's games all over: they always seem to have just enough interesting narrative stuff to drag me through the copious amounts of eyeroll-inducing bullshit (I completed both Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit.)

Heavy Rain was a marquee release for PS3 Move, BTW, and the controls are less weird played that way. I don't think they map to a pad very well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:23 
Bad Girl

Just had some showers here. Lasted about 5 minutes and now it’s hot again.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 14:59 
Esoteric

Just rolling in now (literally, I can hear the thunder !)

Skies have gone black, air has cooled massively and lots of people were outside taking in their washing haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu2pVPWGYMQ

Edit. DA SMELL. DA SMEEELLLLLLLLL RAIN *RAIIIINNNNN*

Oh my, that is wonderful and one of the best smells ever. And the breeze? oh man, it could stay this way forever.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 23:51 
Isn't that lovely?

Raining earlier here, but I've missed the eclipse. Ffs

Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3