Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Auto-aim, auto-track and auto-targetting are for people with
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:42 
Hibernating Druid

I think auto-aim should be optional in games.

As for automatic vs manual in racing games; if you have the choice, what's the problem?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:46 

Zardoz wrote:
what's the problem?

I think it's that Dudley uses manual because it's apparently the right thing to do but keeps losing, because he's crap. :DD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:50 
baron of techno

Grim... wrote:
richardgaywood wrote:
Quote:
In addition, there's a power loss and a weight gain with automatics that's never mapped into games.
What power loss? A gear is a gear, once you are engaged in it. On the other hand auto boxes often, although not always, have less gears than manual ones for cost reasons e.g. my Omega is a four speed. But again, it's not a hard rule, there are six speed auto boxes on higher end cars.

Torque converters, man.

Torque converters aren't, by themselves, the reason for "slowness" of autos. Although they turn some of the power into heat, bear in mind that while you're accelerating hard, the torque converter is doing its job of turning excess engine RPM into.. more torque. This makes up for the loss and helps compensate for the few, wide spaced ratios that the auto gearbox has.
The loss shows up in needing additional cooling and making the fuel economy awful, especially if you drive in kickdown a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:57 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

richardgaywood wrote:
romanista wrote:
5. i still wouldn't buy an car with automatic gears thoygh.. i kinda like switching gears in real life, and it gives you more control at times..
I said this too, until I bought the Omega. [...] I must say though, now I wonder if I want to go back to an auto -- it's so much more effortless to waft around town in and it's very suited to the cars heavy nature and lazy revving V6. I do miss it when I'm hammering it around lanes, but then I don't do much of that any more.
This.
I used to hate the idea of automatics, believing that people using them just sat in the car and steered it rather than drove it.
Having had a couple, though... They are so much nicer to drive. I'd never take one on a race track* and like Mr Gaywood says you do miss a manual box when hunting around country lanes near where you grew up, but on motorways and in London traffic they are worth their weight in gold.

kalmar wrote:
Torque converters aren't, by themselves, the reason for "slowness" of autos.
Slowness is perhaps the wrong word, but aren't they a cause of sluggishness?

* saying that, the only form of racing I currently do is my Range Rover, which is an auto. Having a manual would be shooting myself in the foot - you don't want to be fucking around trying to get low-third when, say, you are climbing out of a river. And you don't want to put the clutch in, well, ever.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:00 
baron of techno

Grim... wrote:
kalmar wrote:
Torque converters aren't, by themselves, the reason for "slowness" of autos.
Slowness is perhaps the wrong word, but aren't they a cause of sluggishness?

The cause of sluggishness is more due to the other reasons mentioned: fewer ratios with a big gap between them, additional weight carried, and in older models the gear-switching logic is vacuum and oil pressure controlled, which isn't always going to shift at the perfect point.
Remember there's also measures taken to make the shift smooth, and therefore slow. For racing, the box can be modified to change more snappily, and you'll probably find that the latest big cars with autos have a fair bit of computer intelligence to adjust parameters like this, under control of the "sport" button or even the rate of change of the accelerator pedal.

I haven't compared the 0-60 times of modern auto cars against their manual counterparts, but I'd be surprised if there was a big difference these days.

All that said though, you will still notice it while driving because essentially, a downshift will happen *after* you've chosen to accelerate (causing an annoying lag), rather than you setting up the right gear before you need it, such as going into a tight corner.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:22 
making out to faces of death

I would have to say that griping about gearing in Forza is probably wasted effort.

There are always people more into simulation in racing. Forza isn't even in the ballpark when you're reading a forum full of people demanding that gear-shifts be slowed by a further 0.2 seconds in Live For Speed to slow down those "gamerz" who don't use a clutch pedal. Or people bitching endlessly about how "kite flyers" (chase camera users) should be excluded from racing leagues on the grounds of being too lightweight to compete.

Forza2 is the best racing game/simulator I've found on any console, but it's not the place to complain about automatic gears. From my own mucking around, I've found the auto-gears a total pain. I was doing a lot of lapping at Mugello in the group D, trying to get close to the record times. Having auto gears shifting on you mid corner is awful.

But yes, my point stands. When you have a Sparco bucket seat bolted to a frame, with BRD pedals and wheel, with three PCs networked to give peripheral monitors, then after you quit trembling from the nerdgasm, you can complain about driving aids. Realism in racing sims is really a rabbit hole best left unexplored.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:24 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

AceAceBaby wrote:
When you have a Sparco bucket seat bolted to a frame, with BRD pedals and wheel, with three PCs networked to give peripheral monitors, then after you quit trembling from the nerdgasm, you can complain about driving aids.

You can link three 360s and three tvs to do that, can't you? Or is that PGR4?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:39 
INFINITE POWAH

AceAceBaby wrote:
I would have to say that griping about gearing in Forza is probably wasted effort.

There are always people more into simulation in racing. Forza isn't even in the ballpark when you're reading a forum full of people demanding that gear-shifts be slowed by a further 0.2 seconds in Live For Speed to slow down those "gamerz" who don't use a clutch pedal. Or people bitching endlessly about how "kite flyers" (chase camera users) should be excluded from racing leagues on the grounds of being too lightweight to compete.

Forza2 is the best racing game/simulator I've found on any console, but it's not the place to complain about automatic gears. From my own mucking around, I've found the auto-gears a total pain. I was doing a lot of lapping at Mugello in the group D, trying to get close to the record times. Having auto gears shifting on you mid corner is awful.

But yes, my point stands. When you have a Sparco bucket seat bolted to a frame, with BRD pedals and wheel, with three PCs networked to give peripheral monitors, then after you quit trembling from the nerdgasm, you can complain about driving aids. Realism in racing sims is really a rabbit hole best left unexplored.

I love you.

Can I offer you money to write things for me?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:44 
Hibernating Druid

Grim... wrote:
AceAceBaby wrote:
When you have a Sparco bucket seat bolted to a frame, with BRD pedals and wheel, with three PCs networked to give peripheral monitors, then after you quit trembling from the nerdgasm, you can complain about driving aids.

You can link three 360s and three tvs to do that, can't you?

Yes. Well you could, I couldn't. ;)

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:04 
making out to faces of death

Grim... wrote:
You can link three 360s and three tvs to do that, can't you? Or is that PGR4?

Well, perhaps, but you'd be playing PGR which would rather render the point moot.

Mr Chris wrote:
I love you.

Can I offer you money to write things for me?

Why, yes. Yes, you can. :smug:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:06 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Forza 2 can do it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:13 

Craster wrote:
Forza 2 can do it.
So could Forza 1 for that matter.

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2