Post subject: Re: eBay tales of woe
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 23:43 
Unpossible!

Or Dr Lave

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:44 
Excellent Member

On the topic of Pay Pal...

I bought some stuff from Achica via them, if your not familiar with Achica they sell all sorts of things, but never place the orders until they have received customer orders so it can take a while for things to arrive

I ended up getting 2 of the 3 things I ordered with a note saying the outstanding item would follow. Weeks went by so I emailed them a few times and got no response. First issue I've had with them, but have heard that their customer service is crap.

So I opened a dispute with Pay Pal and made it clear in the notes I just wanted the outstanding item or the £5.99 it had cost from a £26.99 order.

They just refunded me all the money! Emailed Achica twice since explaining and asking how I refund them for the items I received but no reply

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:06 
Hibernating Druid

KEEP IT!

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:14 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Yep, keep it. They should have responded in the first place to help you out so they've only got themselves to blame.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 17:23 
Gogmagog

New tweed get!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 14:28 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I sold some wrestling figures on eBay recently. They've all been opened but have been returned to their boxes which they've been sold with. I stated this in the item description.

I did wonder how long it would take for someone to complain that they're not sealed and what do you know? I've had someone complain today after receiving them over the weekend.

I've replied saying that the item description says that they've been opened but as a gesture of goodwill, If he sends them back at his expense then I'll refund the cost of the figure but not his postage (to get them back) or the original postage. I think that's fair, don't you?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 14:36 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

TheVision wrote:
I sold some wrestling figures on eBay recently. They've all been opened but have been returned to their boxes which they've been sold with. I stated this in the item description.

I did wonder how long it would take for someone to complain that they're not sealed and what do you know? I've had someone complain today after receiving them over the weekend.

I've replied saying that the item description says that they've been opened but as a gesture of goodwill, If he sends them back at his expense then I'll refund the cost of the figure but not his postage (to get them back) or the original postage. I think that's fair, don't you?

Fair but if they push ebay they will get the full amount (including postage) back

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 14:44 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

So I should be out of pocket because someone didn't read the description? Good old eBay....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 14:47 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Yup. Because you didn't read the T&Cs when you signed up ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 14:50 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Two wrongs don't make a right.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 14:53 
Isn't that lovely?

It's for reasons like this that I don't use ebay. What does it actually say in the T&Cs that would put The Vision in the wrong here? "If the customer is unhappy in any way, you have to refund the full value of the item plus the postage?"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 14:54 
UltraMod

eBay is garbage for sellers.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 15:03 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Malc wrote:
It's for reasons like this that I don't use ebay. What does it actually say in the T&Cs that would put The Vision in the wrong here? "If the customer is unhappy in any way, you have to refund the full value of the item plus the postage?"

Exactly. I'd understand if I'd described the item incorrectly but I didn't. I've shown goodwill by accepting them back so I'm hoping he'll just send them and not go through eBay.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 15:05 
8-Bit Champion

http://ocsnext.ebay.co.uk/ocs/sr

Quote:
If the item is damaged or doesn't match the listing description, you can return it even if the seller's returns policy says they don't accept returns. If you've changed your mind and no longer want an item, you can still request a return, but the seller doesn't have to accept it.

All they have to do is say it does not match the description (it doesnt matter if it does or not) and they can get a return with their postage refunded.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/ebay-money-back-guarantee/

Quote:
Free, automatic coverage

We want you to shop hassle-free on eBay.

Most purchases go through with no problems at all. However, if your item doesn’t arrive or wasn’t what was described in the listing:

We'll make sure that you get the item you ordered; or
You’ll be refunded the purchase price and original postage costs if you paid using PayPal.

And this one says that you may be out the postage for sending , you may also be out the postage for them returning it to you.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/return-item.html

Quote:
Who pays for return postage costs

If the item was not as described, the seller is responsible for paying return postage costs. If a buyer changes their mind about a purchase and wants to return it, they may be required to pay the postage costs depending on the seller's return policy. Sellers can provide a return postage address and additional return postage information for the buyer in My eBay.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 15:08 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

zaphod79 wrote:

All they have to do is say it does not match the description (it doesnt matter if it does or not) and they can get a return with their postage refunded.

Seriously? They wouldn't even check as to why it doesn't match the description? Surely they have to give a reason.

So I could order a PS4, get it, tell them it doesn't match the description and get my money back? If I was dishonest, I'd probably try this.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 15:16 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Well yeah, but you have to give the PS4 back.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 15:18 
8-Bit Champion

TheVision wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:

Seriously? They wouldn't even check as to why it doesn't match the description? Surely they have to give a reason.

So I could order a PS4, get it, tell them it doesn't match the description and get my money back? If I was dishonest, I'd probably try this.

Everything on Ebay is setup to benefit the buyer - read any of those links i put above and look for *anything* from the sellers point of view - its just not there !

Ebay do occasionally try to clean up stuff but often just put in dumb rules to correct it or make even more money off it - a quick example :

'Fake' postal costs

Ebay used to have a problem where people would list an item at £1 but have the postage at £99 so the item sells for £100 but ebay only got fee's on the £1 final value fee and not on the postage , to get around that ebay did two things :

1) 'Limited' postal prices
I was selling a controller a few weeks ago , and it was massive , to post it ended up costing around £14 at the cheapest parcelforce option , when listing it ebay limits the amount you can charge for postage to around £5
2) Charge you fee's on what you charge for postage ! , so if i am posting something and the postage is £5 , ebay charge me 50p off that (10% sellers fee)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 15:19 
8-Bit Champion

Grim... wrote:
Well yeah, but you have to give the PS4 back.

However the seller would be out the cost to mail it to TheVision , and probably the costs for TheVision to mail it back

For something like that , with insurance that's probably the better part of £30 the seller is out for no fault of their own (plus their 'paypal account' will be unusable while Ebay and Paypal piss around with it)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 15:21 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

And in the meantime, I'll have completed the Last of Us 2 (I'll hopefully have played the first before the second comes out)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 15:28 
Hibernating Druid

Lonewolves wrote:
eBay is garbage for sellers.

eBay is sellers garbage.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 15:35 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

....Great... I've just had another message from someone saying that they haven't received their parcel that was posted last Wednesday. The same batch that others have already received.

I do wonder why I use eBay sometimes. It's nice to make some money but it does become a hassle. Fingers crossed they'll get it!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 15:40 
Awesome
Yes

TheVision wrote:
....Great... I've just had another message from someone saying that they haven't received their parcel that was posted last Wednesday. The same batch that others have already received.

I do wonder why I use eBay sometimes. It's nice to make some money but it does become a hassle. Fingers crossed they'll get it!

We sold some baby clothes bundles, and one bundle never arrived.

We complained to Royal mail and got a cheque for the full value of the auction payment after providing proof of the auction and the postage slip.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 15:41 
Paws for thought

I don't use ebay. Because it's shit.

Beexbay, I use that. Then forget to collect moneys cos I is stupid.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 15:45 
Comfortably Dumb

TheVision wrote:

For Ebay, I only ever offer recorded delivery just for peace of mind and to try and ensure I keep my 100% rating (although I rarely sell on it, so the rating isn't all that important).

It would be nice to see a proper rival to Ebay, but it'd have to be launched by someone pretty big themselves like Google, which is unlikely as I imagine the ad revenue from Ebay ads is pretty sizeable.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 15:47 
UltraMod

I keep telling people to use Amazon Marketplace but it falls on deaf ears. They take more commission but it's really simple and no one ever complains (unless you forget to send stuff out, whoops).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 16:42 
Awesome
Yes

Lonewolves wrote:
I keep telling people to use Amazon Marketplace but it falls on deaf ears. They take more commission but it's really simple and no one ever complains (unless you forget to send stuff out, whoops).

Do they still cover your postage?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 16:44 
UltraMod

Mr Russell wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Do they still cover your postage?

Yep, but they take commission out of that as well. It's not perfect but great for someone like me who doesn't care about an extra few pennies and likes a lot less hassle.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 16:54 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Lonewolves wrote:
great for someone like me who doesn't care about an extra few pennies

Doesn't sound great for me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 16:56 
UltraMod

TheVision wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
great for someone like me who doesn't care about an extra few pennies

Doesn't sound great for me.

I guess it all depends how much you value your time with sorting all this mess out that you've got now. I cannot be dealing with it and would rather get a slightly reduced amount for my items.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 16:58 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

For me it's all about the bottom line and how much money I can make. I know I should, but I never factor my time into these things. If I wasn't dicking about on eBay then I'd only be dicking about on something else so in my mind, at least I'm earning something.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 17:06 
Gogmagog

Opportunity cost!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 22:16 
Comfortably Dumb

TheVision wrote:
For me it's all about the bottom line and how much money I can make. I know I should, but I never factor my time into these things. If I wasn't dicking about on eBay then I'd only be dicking about on something else so in my mind, at least I'm earning something.

I should open a wrestling figures section on my site for you to sell your stuff... if you don't mind stuff taking potentially years to sell. :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:14 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I do actually have a shit load of figures to sell and I don't know how to do it.... We could be on to something here.

Also, the eBay guy hasn't returned the figures yet and I haven't heard whether he's going to. Fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 15:36 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

More eBay shenanigans...

I sold an old phone (A Sony Ericcson W9 something or other... the walkman phone) for £17+postage in November. The buyer received it and sent me a message saying that it didn't work. I apologised, told him it did when it left me (which it did) but if he's not happy, send it back and I'll refund him.

He replied with an arsey message saying that I was lying to him but ever the gent, I replied again saying that he could send it back. I'd pay the return postage and even sent him a label through eBay.

He had until the 13th December to send it back and on the 13th, I still hadn't received it. I sent him another message asked if he'd posted it and he replied by saying that he wants the phone but wants it working so if I give him a partial refund, he'll get it fixed and keep it.

Stuff this I thought. I'd already been nice enough to give him a refund and I wasn't prepared to go back on that especially since the phone was working.

I contacted eBay and guess what? They sided with me! Cancelled the refund order and said that if he leaves negative feedback, it'll be removed.

I'm shocked! I thought they'd side with him but there you go.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 15:38 
Awesome
Yes

Sometimes the good guys win.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:16 
Excellent Member

TheVision wrote:
More eBay shenanigans...

I sold an old phone (A Sony Ericcson W9 something or other... the walkman phone) for £17+postage in November. The buyer received it and sent me a message saying that it didn't work. I apologised, told him it did when it left me (which it did) but if he's not happy, send it back and I'll refund him.

He replied with an arsey message saying that I was lying to him but ever the gent, I replied again saying that he could send it back. I'd pay the return postage and even sent him a label through eBay.

He had until the 13th December to send it back and on the 13th, I still hadn't received it. I sent him another message asked if he'd posted it and he replied by saying that he wants the phone but wants it working so if I give him a partial refund, he'll get it fixed and keep it.

Stuff this I thought. I'd already been nice enough to give him a refund and I wasn't prepared to go back on that especially since the phone was working.

I contacted eBay and gues s what? They sided with me! Cancelled the refund order and said that if he leaves negative feedback, it'll be removed.

I'm shocked! I thought they'd side with him but there you go.

Had a similar issue over Christmas, sold an old Ipad and sent it recorded, the day it was signed for I get messages from the account claiming it hasn't arrived, it was ordered in error, all in pigeon English

I told the guy that if he had an issue they he needed to raise a case via Ebay, he raised one 5 days latter.

All over Christmas he just kept sending me stupid messages demanding I give him his money back, I started to notice that the structure of the messages where different indicating that there were at least 2 people sending them.

So on the 28th I called Ebay and said I was pissed off at the one sided nature of the case, the options open to me were refund him (not happening ) send him a tracking number (done on the sale) or keep sending messages that was a waste of time.

I asked when I was going to get the chance to show that I had sent the goods and that they had been signed for, they took 5 minutes and found for me and closed the case.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:39 
Awesome
Yes

Sadly they'll just move onto the next person and scam them instead.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:48 
Hello Hello Hello

This is why I don't bother with selling on eBay, I've got loads of stuff I could sell on there for a few quid but I genuinely can't be bothered with the hassle. Even when everything goes to plan it's a right bloody faff packaging things up and posting them out, for a small amount of financial return.

I had a little burst of selling stuff a fair few years ago (PS2 games and suchlike) and despite nothing at all going wrong, fell out with the entire process as the £4.99s and suchlike rolled in and I realised as a rate of pay it was very poor.

Oh someone did leave 'neutral' feedback because they felt the P&P was unreasonable despite it being specified with absolutely clarity on the sale listing, and I was just like, 'Fuck this shit'.

For buying however I do use it occasionally, like I got a brand new USB AMI cable for the S4 off there for £6, delivered to the IOM. The options on Amazon were more expensive and Audi want about a million pounds for them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:01 
Gogmagog

MrsA uses facebook buy and sell groups to shift our unwanted stuff. It is pretty good, as cash on collection, although hard bargains are driven.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:06 

MaliA wrote:
although hard bargains are driven.

No shit. I regularly see people on my local one selling items for tiny sums like £2 that would be £5+ in any charity shop, and there's always someone in the comments saying "would you take £1.50?"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:13 
Gogmagog

GazChap wrote:
MaliA wrote:
although hard bargains are driven.

No shit. I regularly see people on my local one selling items for tiny sums like £2 that would be £5+ in any charity shop, and there's always someone in the comments saying "would you take £1.50?"

Yeah, we wanted to shift a sideboard on and wanted a tenner for it. Some guy wanted it for free! I wanted to ask for a tenner for the collection address.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:14 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:
MrsA uses facebook buy and sell groups to shift our unwanted stuff. It is pretty good, as cash on collection, although hard bargains are driven.

I found those to be a annoying at lot of the time, on more than one occasion I've said yes to buying something at a price. You then get no response only to find its been sold to someone else. Sort of got sick of the local one to me as a result.

Your also right that people want stuff for nothing as well!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:16 

I quite like the online trading pages on the work intranet, although you sometimes get some very strange stuff on there. Every time I see an 'as new' wedding dress I wonder what the back story is.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:17 
UltraMod

Kern wrote:
Every time I see an 'as new' wedding dress I wonder what the back story is.

Probably bought it and then didn't use it

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:18 
Excellent Member

Kern wrote:
I quite like the online trading pages on the work intranet, although you sometimes get some very strange stuff on there. Every time I see an 'as new' wedding dress I wonder what the back story is.

Surprised they ever sell, I remember using cold hard logic on my wife before we got married and suggesting that as it would only be worn once she could maybe look at a 2nd hand one, I further dug myself deeper by telling her my wedding suit would be used many more times.

Was never spoken off again....... :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:19 
Gogmagog

Kern wrote:

Someone loved it intensely for one day, and then tossed it. Like a Christmas tree. So special. Then, bam, it's on the side of the road

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:39 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hearthly wrote:
Oh someone did leave 'neutral' feedback because they felt the P&P was unreasonable despite it being specified with absolutely clarity on the sale listing

It's only once they get the item that they can see
a) how much the postage actually cost
b) how good the packaging was

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:24 
Awesome
Yes

I used to always say in my listings about the packaging being a padded envelope or similar so that it was in writing also.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:38 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
Oh someone did leave 'neutral' feedback because they felt the P&P was unreasonable despite it being specified with absolutely clarity on the sale listing

It's only once they get the item that they can see
a) how much the postage actually cost
b) how good the packaging was

As memory serves I was making all of about 75p out of the postage, but this wasn't at the expense of packaging quality or postage, which was a high quality jiffy bag with extra padding on the inside of the bag itself, sent first class as my listing had said it would be.

As such to then moan about the postage costs and method of delivery, when they had been clearly stated upfront seemed a bit rich.

Anyway I just lost patience with the whole thing, bunch of cunts.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:11 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I had an email off someone over the weekend asking if he could come and collect one of my items. This was fine and I asked him to buy it so no one else does and he could pick it up whenever he wanted.

He bought it online and then picked the item up on Sunday night. I've just noticed that as well as giving me the money on the door step, he paid via Paypal online :facepalm:

I shall let him know and refund him.

Reply to topic  [ 382 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next