Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mark E Smith-uh.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 17:45 
lazy eye patch

Hooray! Amazon have delivered me my lovely new copy of Renegade: The Lives and Tales of Mark E Smith.

I'm two chapters in, and it's glorious. So far I have learned all manner of useless trivia, in a book where he repeatedly returns to the theme of the pointless tittle-tattle that comes with being in a band today, being asked stupid personal stuff. And then tells the reader some stupid personal stuff. It reads very much like him, despite featuring the hand of a ghost-writer, and I am enjoying it thoroughly thus far.

Post subject: Re: Mark E Smith
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 17:50 
Time Out for Fun

is it just me, whenever theres a name in a thread title you think the first post will be saying there dead.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 19:03 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Nah - in a death thread there always has to be punnery. "Falling Down", for example, or "Mark 'E's popped it' Smith".

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 19:17 
Can you dig it?

I liked "Arthur C. Clarked it" from a while back. That was word-play of a very high order.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 19:46 
Where are you?

More points if you edit the thread title to 'Mark E Smith-uh'.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 20:20 
:insincere:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 20:26 

Have any BETEOids actually been in The Fall?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 20:41 
Time Out for Fun

Anonymous X wrote:
Have any BETEOids actually been in The Fall?

with a ratio with this countrys population you are more likely to be in the fall at one point than be gay.

Post subject: Re: Mark E Smith-uh.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 15:20 
lazy eye patch

Hoorah, I've managed to find a copy of the new Fall album. Two songs in, I pre-ordered it on Amazon. It's their best since RNFLP(FKA'CONC') and maybe their best since the early 90s!!!

1. Alton Towers -- this is excellent. Surprisingly catchy, too.
2. Wolf Kidult Man -- this is also excellent. And quite catchy. Contains the lyric, "You're trying to destroy me, you're in collusion with Virgin Trains." if I heard correctly.
3. 50 Year Old Man -- this is about 12 minutes long. Imagine Carry Bag Man crossed with Ibis Afro Man with Mark putting the effort in and banjos. Catchy, in its repetitious length.
4. I've Been Duped -- sounds a LOT like some Kim Gordon-sung Sonic Youth song. One of the short, punky ones like 'My Friend Goo'. Catchy.
5. Strange Town -- this is also excellent. It sounds like a polished up demo, with noticeably variable sound quality. It's also catchy.
6. Taurig -- fucking hell. This is superb. It's like some early 80s electro gubbins, a bit like 23 Skidoo. Er, kind of. Totally unexpected and cool.
7. Can Can Summer -- this reminds me of the B52s lots for some reason. Lots of back-and-forth singing, and surf guitar.
8. Tommy Shooter -- erm, imagine if The Klaxxons decided to cover some obscure rockabilly hit. It might sound like this i.e. catchy and excellent.
9. Latch Key Kid -- okay, catchy, but maybe the weakest track.
10. Is This New -- more excellent surf rock guitar and nuggets-esque "I'm A Mummy" groove.
11. Senior Twilight Stock Replacer - this is fucking fantastic. You can actually imagine what this song sounds like now, it's totally a prototypical Fall song in many ways. It's as awesome as you hope, I think.
12. Exploding Chimney -- fucking hell. Erm, imagine someone forcing one of the downbeat electronic tracks like 'Devolute' from The Unutterable, and one of the generic 'rock' tracks from Fall Heads Roll like 'Clasp Hands', into a squeaky metal tube (with audible squeaks), whilst MES shouts about chimneys and wolvent over the top.

Most of the new band is from Walsall!!!!!! The American band on the last one are 'doing their own thing' this year.

9/10 - Best Fall album since This Nation's Saving Grace YES OMG SERIOUSLY.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 16:06 
Son of a Reaperman

Whenever I buy a Fall album I find it maddeningly catchy and end up humming it to myself all week. Then I get completely sick of it and never listen to it again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 16:19 
lazy eye patch

I've just realised what Taurig reminds me of lots - there's a Residents track that reminds me of loads, but damnit I can't think what.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 21:45 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:28 
lazy eye patch

Cor, mrak. I envy you, I've not been to see them yet. They've always been *just* too far away, or I've had to work whilst they were on.

I just need to say again that I've been listening to Imperial Wax Solvent all night and morning now (except for when I wasn't), and fucking hell, it really is good (as previously mentioned). I'm amazed at how good it is. And it's not just a case of 'good new band propping up old Mark' either. His hands are all over it. It's a lot like Levitate, in a way. But loads better. Better than I thought he even had left in him, to be honest...

Only £9 at Amazon (for example), folks!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:05 

I might have to get that new album then. I'd got a bit bored with The Fall, seen them quite a bit over the years but if I'm honest I spent the last half of both of the last two gigs just wanting the noise to end. Mind you the support act didn't help, some absolute dweeb with a laptop and white noise doing a half hour avant garde video show. However I did enjoy Zardoz continually screaming "GO HOME YOU FUCKING CUNT" at the top of his voice much to the approval of everyone in the room.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:08 
lazy eye patch

Was Zardoz shouting that at Laptop Man or Mark? I can imagine either, really :)

What year/era was it you saw them? Because I didn't much like the last two albums. Actually, I think I've only like about 3 in the last 11 years. But this new one really is a bit good. I'm shocked to be honest.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:08 
Hibernating Druid

We should go to more gigs.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:14 

CUS wrote:
Was Zardoz shouting that at Laptop Man or Mark? I can imagine either, really :)

What year/era was it you saw them? Because I didn't much like the last two albums. Actually, I think I've only like about 3 in the last 11 years. But this new one really is a bit good. I'm shocked to be honest.

He was shouting at Laptop Man (though it wasn't nearly as good as 'the Jello Biafra Incident').

I guess the last two times we saw them it would have been mainly stuff the last two albums before this new one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:15 

Zardoz wrote:
We should go to more gigs.

Nah, but we should go to more spoken word things when you are drunk and expecting a punk band, those are excellent.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:19 
lazy eye patch

Oh god. Tell me about the Jello Biafra incident, it sounds excellent. How much had Mr. Zardoz had to drink? :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:32 

Loads. It was a fairly quiet sort of do in a small room and we were sat on the front row listening to the former Dead Kennedys singer going on about George Bush and loads of stuff about US politics as he stood about five feet away from us. Mr Z however was getting drunker by the minute and was expecting some sort of punk-rock action. When it became clear that this wasn't going to happen he started grabbing hold of me and telling me really loudly that he loves me, and then shouting across to my girlfriend and telling her the same thing. After this got boring he turned his drunken on Jello Biafra and started yelling "shut the fuck up and play Holiday in Cambodia, you fat cunt" etc. About half of the rest of the people there seemed amused but the other half were getting angry. Thankfully we knew quite a few of the old punks and other people who had turned out and so were able to make good our escape without being killed.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:41 

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:14 
lazy eye patch

Hooray!

Have you heard it yet, mrak? It really is A Return To Form.

You're in league with Virgin Trains against me

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 14:58 
Excellent Member

I read an extract and this book looks very fun. Another autobiography I want to get is Steve Martin's Born Standing Up but the library doesn't have it yet and I never read a book twice so I'm not too keen on buying them.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 16:36 
lazy eye patch

Aye - and I'll tell you know, a reasonably accomplished reader will zip through Mark E's book in no time at all. It's very readable, but also quite short. It needs to be twice as long at least, really. And, heh, unedited. I found myself thinking 'What, nothing at all about Code Selfish, Middle Class Revolt, Cerebral Caustic?', and other stuff, other people. I'm sure the 'Fall Online' forum has been enjoying going through it with a fine comb, heh.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 18:13 
UltraMod

markg wrote:
After this got boring he turned his drunken on Jello Biafra and started yelling "shut the fuck up and play Holiday in Cambodia, you fat cunt" etc.

This is stuff of legends.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 18:30 

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 18:40 
lazy eye patch

mrak wrote:
I don't... like it very much :( I hope it'll grow on me though, but it's more AYAMW than either of its flanking releases.

You are mad, sir, and were I still mod then you can be assured I would be doing terrible things to your posts/avatar RIGHT NOW.

Quote:
The instrumentation is better, or at least more varied, than Reformation but everything sounds really cluttered and yet weedy at the same time - S.Lee was totally on-the-money ref. Fall Heads Roll when he described it as sounding "spacially aware" which I think this one is the antithesis of.

I think it has got more of a 'MES shouting over some noise' feel to it than FHR yes, but I personally am very glad about that. FHR was, for me, a really generic and rubbishy collection of 90s britpop/britrock. At times, RNFLP also reminded me a bit of that (such as on Boxoctosis and Protein Protection), but FHR was entirely that. All rawk n' bluster, but as one-dimensional as any number of other generic rawk n' bluster bands out there in the NME today. IMO lol etc.

Quote:
Whereas FHR managed to be insistent, this one too often comes across as droning. I like the banjo bits though. And is that a fretless bass in the first track? Brrrrr.

What's so bad about using a fretless bass? They used to have a bongos player fer chrissakes :p

I suspect we are liking the same band for quite different reasons sir, so I shall politely bow to you and sit down again (see again first sentence).

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]