Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Post subject: Transexual prinson fandango
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 17:40 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8237886.stm

I'd not like to be the one to have the final say in this case. I'd bloody love to know what everyone here makes of it though, so should 'A' be moved to 'Cell Block H' or kept with the male schedule one offenders?

Post subject: Re: Transexual prinson fandango
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 18:01 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

BBC wrote:
The refusal to move a pre-operative transsexual prisoner from a men's jail to a women's prison is a violation of her human rights, says the High Court.

Obviously BBC facts notwithstanding, I feel that is the relevant bit. He is in gaol for rape, he still has the capacity to perform that again. Putting him in with female prisoners is, I would say, more of an offence to their "human rights" than keeping him in a male prison.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 18:07 
Best
Board Mother

Hmm. If a woman had raped another woman she would still be put in a female prison and if a male raped another male he would still be put in a male prison.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 18:10 

I suppose that it depends on when the prison service classes someone as 'male' or 'female'? This cannot be the first transsexual in the prison system - are they considered to be of the opposite sex when they are still 'pre-op'?

My instincts make me feel the way that Bobbyarro does, but I think they have to look for some precedent in a non-rape case.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 18:11 

Quite so, Bobbayaro.

Of course she'll be on testosterone suppressants presently so there will be an argument there as well.

Fairly certain the female prisoners in her new nick would treat her the same as they would a regular male rapist and killer, were one left in their block. For that reason alone I'd be inclined to keep her where she is for the sake of her own safety. Plus I'm sure the other inmates where she is presently are very fond of her.

Either way it's not worth an additional 80k just to accommodate this individual. I know plenty of transsexuals who don't resort to this sort of behaviour regardless of how difficult gender dysphoria has made their lives. Some of there are brilliant folk who can't get the money together for the reassignment surgeries they want, give it to them instead.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 18:14 

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Hmm. If a woman had raped another woman she would still be put in a female prison and if a male raped another male he would still be put in a male prison.

Well, a man raped and a man manslaughtered, and was put in a man prison. What's to stop me going for the swap if I fancy doing my life in a ladies' nick then? Plenty of evidence of my 'emotionally disturbed state' on my record, poor me needs my reassignment, see?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 18:21 
Best
Board Mother

GovernmentYard wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

Well, a man raped and a man manslaughtered, and was put in a man prison. What's to stop me going for the swap if I fancy doing my life in a ladies' nick then? Plenty of evidence of my 'emotionally disturbed state' on my record, poor me needs my reassignment, see?

Yes, I quite agree. They haven't helped themselves by allowing this really.
Quote:
In 2006, she was recognised as a woman "for all purposes" under the Gender Recognition Act 2004.

Maybe there needs to be a further look at what rights prisoners can reasonably have.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 18:24 

Well they've got the vote, they can buy drugs off/shag wardens and most of my clients who go down get let out early because of overcrowding so frankly the only right we have left to award them is the right never to be sent to prison ever ever ever.

If you don't like it either behave yourself or don't get caught.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 18:41 

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Quote:
In 2006, she was recognised as a woman "for all purposes" under the Gender Recognition Act 2004.

'For all purposes?' But whose purposes?

If she were an athlete, she could not compete as a woman. I cannot see how she's be seen by her doctor as a female patient as that uncomfortable smear test is going to be even more uncomfortable for her.

I think the 'for all purposes' bit has limitations - there need to be a decision made as to whether the prison service is one of them.

Also, if all it takes to be a woman is some hair removal procedure and hormone pills then what happens if she stops taking those pills? Would that 'undo' all of the changes she has gone through? Would she not then revert to being a very smooth-faced man?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 19:54 

Well that's the thing - autopsies on male-female transsexuals show a degree of consistency in hypothalamus size, similar to that of a genetic woman. There's a big difference between male and female hypothalamusses, apparently. Whether that's the hormones or just a female brain (which would explain the whole business anyway) or not is still up for debate. So I recall.

So if this individual has a real female brain, what then? Considering all that testosterone from the balls must have been making them feel fairly weird since puberty.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 19:59 

Is it possible that the drugs and hormones being taken are causing these physical differences, though? Would the brain have exhibited these same signs if the person hadn't had any hormone therapy? Was this the state of the brain before they decided to become a transsexual, I wonder? (I really have no idea - I had never heard of this factoid before you mentioned it).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 20:25 
Excellent Member

Can't say I particularly care either way, so long as he/she/it is banged up. If Prisoner Cell Block H is anything to go by, he/she/it may well have a tougher time in the women's nick anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 21:26 
Best
Board Mother

Why is it going to cost an extra £80k a year to keep her segragated when s/he's already in a single cell in a vulnerable prisoners unit. What's the difference?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 21:32 

Paperwork.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 21:36 
Best
Board Mother

Mimi wrote:
Paperwork.

:D :kiss:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:46 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Bobbyaro wrote:
BBC wrote:
The refusal to move a pre-operative transsexual prisoner from a men's jail to a women's prison is a violation of her human rights, says the High Court.

Obviously BBC facts notwithstanding, I feel that is the relevant bit. He is in gaol for rape, he still has the capacity to perform that again. Putting him in with female prisoners is, I would say, more of an offence to their "human rights" than keeping him in a male prison.

Everyone has the capacity to perform rape. You don't have to have a cock.

She's been recognised by the courts as female. She should be moved.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:13 

sinister agent wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:
BBC wrote:

Everyone has the capacity to perform rape. You don't have to have a cock.

She's been recognised by the courts as female. She should be moved.

I agree totally. Keeping her in a male prison is a violation of her human rights, no matter what crimes she has committed beforehand.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 15:51 

OK, you pay the 80 grand then, I can't be arsed to.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 18:09 
Best
Board Mother

Can't we just burn the paperwork instead?

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]