Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1042 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Zombies
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 16:40 

Grim... wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
We've had all this before from 'Shovel Boy'. Shotgun and Chainsaw is the only way for me, when it's time, I'm embracing it with the cool stuff.
Two weapons that, once you use them too much, stop working entirely. My Louisville Slugger is on standby halfway up the stairs.
Might I suggest an aluminium baseball bat as the ideal combination of the practicality Grim... demands and the pimp factor Zardoz desires?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 16:41 
UltraMod

Dude, have you never played Dead Rising? Even a sledgehammer is rendered useless after lightly tapping a couple of zombies.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 16:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hells no, the Z man can ride shotgun (literally) with me in the Tomcat.

Hang on a sec - are we seriously letting Myp repopulate the planet?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 16:43 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
We've had all this before from 'Shovel Boy'. Shotgun and Chainsaw is the only way for me, when it's time, I'm embracing it with the cool stuff.
Two weapons that, once you use them too much, stop working entirely. My Louisville Slugger is on standby halfway up the stairs.
Might I suggest an aluminium baseball bat as the ideal combination of the practicality Grim... demands and the pimp factor Zardoz desires?

Paint it gold and gem-stud it, then you're done.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 16:43 
UltraMod

With a lesbian. It can't possibly go wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 16:44 

Someone made one of the lobos from World War Z:

Discussion thread.

Here's the real life special forces thing it's based on:
A "Cold Steel Special Forces Shovel". It's half shovel and half axe, and designed to be useful in either scenario.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 16:45 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Grim... wrote:

Nah, we're just telling him we will. We're actually using him on a short length of chain as a zombie lure into the killing field.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 16:54 
Unpossible!

.I represent the Zombie Ogranised Mutilation Group (ZOMG). We endorse the use of explosives. Generally.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 17:00 
Hibernating Druid

Grim... wrote:
Hells no, the Z man can ride shotgun (literally) with me in the Tomcat.

Hells Yeah Baby!

Grim... wrote:

No worries there mate, if he fell in a barrel of tits, he'd come out sucking his thumb.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 17:07 
baron of techno

DavPaz wrote:
.I represent the Zombie Ogranised Mutilation Group (ZOMG). We endorse the use of explosives. Generally.

the Witch Termination Force (WTF) approves of this but recommends running away also.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 17:09 

Just me in the Combatative Undead Neutralisation Task Squad then?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 17:32 
Ready for action

Some interesting suggestions from both Myp and DavPaz RE: repopulation however perhaps we should just do what feels right at the time?

It's beginning to look like we will have to be careful to keep an eye on Zardoz, otherwise we could go out on a raid leaving him to guard the camp and come back to discover he'd pimped it out with flashing lights and disco tunes. This will not help us maintain a top-secret zombie proof base.

I agree that we should try to stick with quiet and portable weapons-we can try B&Q and some sports supplies shops?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 17:34 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

superdupergill wrote:
top-secret zombie proof base

That's a funny name for a shopping centre.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 17:40 
Ready for action

It's a subsidiary of Home Base.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 17:42 
baron of techno

Potw.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 17:45 

You can all have your shopping centres and whatnot. I'm going old school. I'm all about the castles. Caerphilly castle has a pretty good moat, but the walls would need fortifying. Raglan castle is in pretty good shape, as is Chepstow, I think.

Strong high stone walls with no windows for the win. Grab supplies, hold out until winter when the zombies freeze up, then do supply runs into local towns. We'll need guns then for the Omega Men.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 17:46 
Skillmeister

You live in West England, doc. The weather doesn't get cold enough to freeze zombage. Highlands FTW.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 17:55 
Ready for action

Aha, kudos to you doc for opening my eyes to a previously unexplored option. When I first read your post I was sceptical about the lack of supplies in a castle however if we managed to take enough with us then it might just work. The defensive bonuses certainly mark it out as a strong contender. I agree with Dimrill though, the Highlands it would have to be.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 17:57 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Of course the flaw in your plan is that 'no one else in the area has already thought of this plan'...possibly bigger, more psychotic and better equipped people.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 18:04 
Ready for action

Morte wrote:
Of course the flaw in your plan is that 'no one else in the area has already thought of this plan'...possibly bigger, more psychotic and better equipped people.

I am counting on the hope that in the instance of a zombie invasion the majority of bigger, more psychotic and better equipped people in Scotland will be making their way to Buckfast Abbey at the same time as we all head for a castle.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 18:18 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Find a cathedral. They're built to last, with tricky, high, translucent windows (which are often hard to break through too), few, very hefty entrances, and cover less ground than a castle. You'd also get a bell tower, which could be used as a distress signal in an emergency, and a good last stand to retreat to with only one, extremely narrow passage to defend - you could then make it out onto the roof, and possible escape to the street again with the proper preparations.

You'd have to carry lots of supplies in though, obv. And you'd have a significantly higher risk of finding a mental armageddon-brand religioner in your midst.

Shopping centres in the UK would be crap - most don't have many, if any DIY shops, and you can forget about guns. Don't be fooled by the american-centric films you've seen, meat shields!

I mean, friends. My good, dear friends. I said friends.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 18:56 

I was thinking about what Glesga cathedral looks like & it seemed like a good idea, then I remembered what else is next to cathedrals... huge fucking graveyards :DD

If the dead are going to rise I don't think I want to be anywhere near the Necropolis or similar.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 19:02 
Peculiar, yet lovely

WullieOoster wrote:
I was thinking about what Glesga cathedral looks like & it seemed like a good idea, then I remembered what else is next to cathedrals... huge fucking graveyards :DD

If the dead are going to rise I don't think I want to be anywhere near the Necropolis or similar.

Graveyards with withered skeletons of people who died a bajillion years ago!

Edit: Also, going to scotland is the Wrong Way (unless you're near there already). What you want is the isle of wight. Fertile, small, low population, but some basic supplies, and well within reach of the mainland. Downside: zombies and natives will be difficult to tell apart.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 19:14 
Isn't that lovely?

superdupergill wrote:
more psychotic and better equipped people in Scotland will be making their way to Buckfast Abbey

I live near there...

Malc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 19:18 

sinister agent wrote:
Graveyards with withered skeletons of people who died a bajillion years ago!
Christ man, that's even worse! "Wizards & shit" were around back in the day, there's bound to be at least one Lich waiting for a chance to strike with their legions of wraiths & re-animated skeletons 8)
Malc wrote:
I live near there.
I got my photo taken with a monk in Buckfast Abbey while I worked in Devon, we were both standing with Buckie bottles (mine nearly done :DD )

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 20:28 
baron of techno

I concur. Anyway, a zombie apocalypse would be creepy enough without being holed up in a cathedral!

If you're stuck in a town, a high-rise office is the tried and tested solution, like that guy in New Orleans keeping the Something Awful server running during that hurricane.

Choose the RBS building or similar - you've got generators, provisions in the canteen, and reasonable defences to start with. Seal off the ground level and sit tight until the Finnish army gets in touch.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 21:06 
Rude Belittler

Weapon wise, you need a motherfucking Zweihander. Now those things could behead horses, never mind zombies. You can change grips and use it like a short spear. In other words they're Stone Cold Steve Bostin'.

Might be difficult to get hold of though:

"why exactly do you want a sword that is 6 feet long?"

"duh...Zombie Apocalypse!"

"just hold on while I go out the back a second. *whispers* hello, is that the police? I've got a nutter in my shop!"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 21:12 

I disagree. I've swung a claymore; those things are incredibly heavy. Unless you're in really good shape, three zombies in and you'll barely be able to lift it. You're toast for Zombie #4.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 21:24 
Rude Belittler

A combat zeihander tops out at around 7lbs, and is weighted excellently. A sledgehammer of a decent enough size to down a zomb.. well, 6lb at least. And all that is in the head. I'm betting you'd get less tired using a zweihander than a sledge. And that's the heaviest, traditionally made zweihander, I reckon you could make it far lighter with the help of modern tech.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 21:42 
I forgot about this - how vain

kalmar wrote:
I concur. Anyway, a zombie apocalypse would be creepy enough without being holed up in a cathedral!

If you're stuck in a town, a high-rise office is the tried and tested solution, like that guy in New Orleans keeping the Something Awful server running during that hurricane.

Choose the RBS building or similar - you've got generators, provisions in the canteen, and reasonable defences to start with. Seal off the ground level and sit tight until the Finnish army gets in touch.

Seal off is the first step sure. But you want to demolish the stairs. Once you've properly demolished the stairs you are close to 100% secure. Zombies can't climb after all. Of course, anyone who can't climb a rope ladder is fucked, but they would probably be fucked anyhow.

Use the roof to collect rain water (and even grow food) whilst you wait for the Zombies to rot after their food source dries out.

A bunch of flat roofed buildings in close proximity would be even better...

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 22:05 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I disagree. I've swung a claymore; those things are incredibly heavy.

Pussy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 22:07 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Dr Lave wrote:
Seal off is the first step sure. But you want to demolish the stairs. Once you've properly demolished the stairs you are close to 100% secure. Zombies can't climb after all. Of course, anyone who can't climb a rope ladder is fucked, but they would probably be fucked anyhow.

Use the roof to collect rain water (and even grow food) whilst you wait for the Zombies to rot after their food source dries out.

A bunch of flat roofed buildings in close proximity would be even better...

Congratuations, Lave. You've just planned the world's dullest Zombie apocalypse.

What we really want is a car showroom, and to take the aforementioned broadswords and attach them to the wheels, Boudicea-style. Oh, yes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 22:08 
Skillmeister

I pretty shoe-ah Ole Boody dain't have a car, duck.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 0:00 
baron of techno

If she had, it would have been a gold painted BMW. With an plywood spoiler.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:15 
Hibernating Druid

Oil Rig scenario:

If a load of Zombies tried following after the boat but where eaten by sharks/prawns/halibut would the fish/crustaceans become infected?

The idea of Zombie sharks is quite pant wetting. In both senses.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:23 
baron of techno

Before you know it, Zombie Octopi are climbing up your derricks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:23 
INFINITE POWAH

Zombie-pocolypse first stop off point #mystery" class="postlink">SUPER GO

Quote:
Do you live near Macclesfield, Cheshire? Did you know there's a secret structure (below) built into the side of Billinge Hill at Rainow? It's hidden inside the south eastern part of the disused Billinge Quarries on Blaze Hill. All the other parts of the old quarry workings have been filled in and are now overgrown with vegetation. But this location has a gated access road, a recently well-used hardstanding area and what seems to be a blast door entrance to a bunker with four ventilation shafts on top!

Astonishingly, the gate is just a standard one you'd find on a farm track and the security is low key to say the least. But the sign warns that 24 hour emergency access is required and that trespass is prohibited under the Explosives Act! Why would explosives be stored at a disused quarry? They wouldn't be stored there when it was active – a remote store would be used. Why is there no permanent guarding?

I had heard persistent rumours that whenever there is an incident threatening national security, the local police are sent up to this site to guard it for the duration of the state of high alert. There has been so much speculation regarding its purpose, from avid readers of Secret Bases, that I decided to settle the matter by performing a Freedom of Information Act request to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). Within just a matter of days, they very kindly responded with the full details!

After all the excitement, disappointingly there's no mysterious MoD bunker concealing covert military operations. However, my FOI request to HSE revealed the owner of the site as a very interesting local business, using it since 1978.

It turns out to be Edgar Brothers located on Macclesfield's Lyme Green Business Park in Unit 3 on Heather Close. Originally founded in 1947, they are one of the UK's oldest, well-established importers and wholesale dealers in firearms, ammunition and associated products. As well as the obvious sporting and leisure clients, through their Police and Military Division (PMD) they are official suppliers of guns, knives, high power torches, weapon lights, clothing and footwear to all UK Police Forces and MoD.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:30 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
superdupergill wrote:
top-secret zombie proof base

That's a funny name for a shopping centre.

superdupergill wrote:
It's a subsidiary of Home Base.

POTW

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:31 
Unpossible!

Mr Chris wrote:

Quote:
Do you live near Macclesfield, Cheshire?

I can be there in ooh, 20 minutes from home

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:33 
Gogmagog

DavPaz wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:

Quote:
Do you live near Macclesfield, Cheshire?

I can be there in ooh, 20 minutes from home

next time I'm up north, we'll go for a beer in Buxton, or something.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:34 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Ditto, and I'll bring ice cream and a two-headed flail.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:35 
Unpossible!

Malabar Front wrote:
a two-headed flail.

for the lesbians?

Wait, what's a flail again?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:36 
Gogmagog

DavPaz wrote:
Malabar Front wrote:
a two-headed flail.

for the lesbians?

lack of success.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:08 

sinister agent wrote:
Edit: Also, going to scotland is the Wrong Way (unless you're near there already). What you want is the isle of wight. Fertile, small, low population, but some basic supplies, and well within reach of the mainland. Downside: zombies and natives will be difficult to tell apart.
Pish. The Hebrides are the way to go, especially when you remember the Coirebhreacain & that whole stretch of coast is really fucking tidal.
Quote:
Strong Atlantic currents and unusual underwater topography conspire to produce a particularly intense tidal race in the Corryvreckan channel. As the flood tide enters the narrow area between the two islands it speeds up to 8.5 knots (≈16 km/h), and also meets a variety of seabed features including a deep hole and a rising pinnacle. These features combine to create whirlpools, standing waves and a variety of other surface effects.

The Corryvreckan is the third largest whirlpool in the world, and is on the northern side of the gulf, surrounding a pyramid-shaped basalt pinnacle that rises from depths of 70 m to 29 m at its rounded top. Flood tides and inflow from the Firth of Lorne to the west can drive the waters of Corryvreckan to waves of over 30 feet (9 m), and the roar of the resulting maelstrom can be heard ten miles (16 km) away.
Zardoz wrote:
If a load of Zombies tried following after the boat but where eaten by sharks/prawns/halibut would the fish/crustaceans become infected?
There'd be no difference in their behaviour really, as nearly everything at sea eats flesh. However, even if they were immune to zombieism they'd still carry a risk of infection so you'd need top keep them in a holding tank to clean them out before you could eat them

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:13 
Hibernating Druid

WullieOoster wrote:
There'd be no difference in their behaviour really, as nearly everything at sea eats flesh.

Yes, they'd still be killing machines, but they'd swim slowly with their fins facing forward and look awesome. They'd do garggly moaning too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:14 
Unpossible!

*waits for Zardoz-created Zombie Shark picture*

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:14 
Hibernating Druid

SHITING CRIKEY MOSES! They wouldn't need to stay in the sea either!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:15 
Gogmagog

WullieOoster wrote:
There'd be no difference in their behaviour really, as nearly everything at sea eats flesh.

Worraout basking sharks, blue whales and parrotfish?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:17 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

MaliA wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

lack of success.

Only if you're Chinese.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:18 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
MaliA wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

lack of success.

Only if you're Chinese.

o/\o

YO! IN DA HOUSE!

Reply to topic  [ 1042 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 21  Next