Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: PC Gaming Thread
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:30 

Googling turns up some rumours. I suspect a DoW2 360 port was at least considered for a while, although we'd have it already if it was going to happen. I imagine their focus now is on expansions, given how many DoW1 had.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:30 
Meh

myp wrote:
Grim... wrote:
No market?

Halo Wars has proved that RTS games can be successful on a console, but how much of that is down to IP and not the genre... although, there must be plenty of Warhammer nerds with 360s.

Not sure that Halo wars was a real RTS. It didn't seem to have the depth or wealth of options that to my mind a real RTS should have but then this was based on an hour or two around my mates house so I might be completely wrong.

There is no doubt that DoW has a lot of depth and wealth of options and also would need a beefy cpu to process everything in the more hectic parts. So I guess they would have to change the game to launch it on the 360 and they didn't want to compromise it. Might not be true but it works for me and even makes me smile a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:32 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
Halo Wars was bad, though. It took RTSs back about ten years.

I've only played the demo, so I don't know. It sold pretty well, apparently, though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Nemmie wrote:
myp wrote:
Grim... wrote:
No market?

Halo Wars has proved that RTS games can be successful on a console, but how much of that is down to IP and not the genre... although, there must be plenty of Warhammer nerds with 360s.

Not sure that Halo wars was a real RTS.

In a lot of ways, I'd say the same about DoW2.
I think I still prefer the first one, especially for multiplayer (and the numbers playing suggest others agree with me).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:33 

Nemmie wrote:
There is no doubt that DoW has a lot of depth and wealth of options
It really doesn't. DoW1 did, but DoW2 is like a no-base-building RTS lite with a lot of RPG elements. It's more like Diablo than anything else. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:36 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

You keep making that comparison, but it's nothing like Diablo whatsoever. Direct individual command of a single character and control of fixed squads are very different. It's more like Alien Breed, to be honest.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:38 
Unpossible!

Or Syndicate?

Meh

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Nemmie wrote:
There is no doubt that DoW has a lot of depth and wealth of options
It really doesn't. DoW1 did, but DoW2 is like a no-base-building RTS lite with a lot of RPG elements. It's more like Diablo than anything else. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I don't have it, I was basing my opinion on a few reviews I have read when I thought about getting it. However I am a RTS fan and I can't imagine any of my all time faves (which most certainly do involve base building and micro management) working on a console but then I still remain unconvinced that you can play an FPS on a console properly either so I may be biased ;)

SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Yes, or Syndicate indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:52 

myp wrote:
Jonarob wrote:
I still love my 360 more than anything. Best console I've ever owned. Even better than the Dreamcast!

You were recently saying you hadn't turned on the old grey box in a while. Come back from your fling with the PS3 now, then? :D

Yeah! I had a few PS3 titles to catch up on, like Killzone 2, etc. Now I'm back on the 360 most of the time - at least until Uncharted 2 which should keep my PS3 warm for a couple of days.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 13:46 
Paws for thought

Jonarob wrote:
Oooh, I'm gonna be re-joining this club in a few days! Has anyone played the PC version of Halo 2 with 'cheevs? Will it work on Windows 7? Is the Games for Windows Live thing good? I like the idea of contributing to my gamerscore on PC, instead of wasting my time on non-'cheev games and that.

That it was a GfWL game is what made me look at it in the first place. I have no complaints about it, although if you go looking round 'hardcore' PCists, they hate it and refuse to buy games with it. (Mr Coffey, for instance, has a distinct dislike for it.)

I can't help but feel that this has more to do with it being an XBox service than anything else, having seen the complaints. But for me, it was one of the selling points. (Not so much for the acheivements, the main thing is that while I'm playing, it's possible for people to send me a message getting me into an XBox game/For them playing XBox to see what I'm up to and come and join me.)

Quote:
edit: And where's DoW2 a tenner? It's 30 biff on Amazon still!

It was on Play. Not anymore. £20 there now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 13:48 
Unpossible!

If you have a game (let's say GTAIV) on both PC and Xbox, are the cheevos combined, or do you get 2 sets of points?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 13:49 

MrDavPaz wrote:
If you have a game (let's say GTAIV) on both PC and Xbox, are the cheevos combined, or do you get 2 sets of points?
Two sets of points. Fallout 3 and Shadowrun are examples.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 13:50 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I have no issues with GfWL it is quite goot to see when other folks are logging on :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 13:59 

Mr Dave it looks like DOW2 is sold out on play...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 14:01 

Mr Dave wrote:
Jonarob wrote:
Oooh, I'm gonna be re-joining this club in a few days! Has anyone played the PC version of Halo 2 with 'cheevs? Will it work on Windows 7? Is the Games for Windows Live thing good? I like the idea of contributing to my gamerscore on PC, instead of wasting my time on non-'cheev games and that.

That it was a GfWL game is what made me look at it in the first place. I have no complaints about it, although if you go looking round 'hardcore' PCists, they hate it and refuse to buy games with it. (Mr Coffey, for instance, has a distinct dislike for it.)

I can't help but feel that this has more to do with it being an XBox service than anything else, having seen the complaints. But for me, it was one of the selling points. (Not so much for the acheivements, the main thing is that while I'm playing, it's possible for people to send me a message getting me into an XBox game/For them playing XBox to see what I'm up to and come and join me.)

Quote:
edit: And where's DoW2 a tenner? It's 30 biff on Amazon still!

It was on Play. Not anymore. £20 there now.

Cheers Dave!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 14:02 
Esoteric

So yesterday I ordered Sega Rally Revo for the princely ammount of £3.85 delivered (first class) and today I got Outrun 2006 C2C which I already own as a copy for £4.45 delivered first class.

Thing was I bought ORC2C original for PS2 for $45 so really didn't want to shell out that again when the PC one came out.

Better make some room on me shelves lol. God I love PC gaming. Funny thing was any other version of the game started at £11.

Also if I remember right OR2006 was serious eye candy on the PC when cranked to full.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 14:03 

MrDavPaz wrote:

Two sets! Some people do this with Jap/German versions of games, some of which have different achievement lists and are recognised as two different games. Like Gears 2 has a Jap version and a PAL/US version, so if you can easily max one out, they get the other version and max that out as well. Bloody nerds.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 14:23 
Paws for thought

RuySan wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Malabar Front wrote:
More frames than you can possibly detect per second!

40, then.

That's rubbish. There a big noticeable difference between 40 and 60. In fact, i find the 30fps that is the norm in consoles unplayable for action games. 60fps all the way for me, even if i have to play with quake 1-like graphics.

Mmm. There's a school of thought that puts the difference in playablilty down to reduced input latency in 60FPS rather than the increased graphical frame rate.

Kovacs Caprios wrote:

It's saying it's in stock for me... just more expensive than it was a week ago.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 14:27 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Kovacs Caprios wrote:

Have a look in your nearest HMV. I picked it up for £15 last night, with the added bonus of not having to wait. I couldn't find it cheaper than £20 online, and none of them had stock left.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 14:28 

I bought it in Game for £15 aaagggeeesss ago.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 14:35 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Paid £17 on Steam a couple of days ago.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 14:41 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Craster wrote:
Paid £17 on Steam a couple of days ago.

I tried to, but Steam doesn't like my debit card, and I don't have credit cards any more.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 14:47 

@Mr Dave

It says from 19.99 on play, which I presume is plays marketplace equivelant. Not acutally a direct play sale.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 14:49 

JohnCoffey wrote:
Also if I remember right OR2006 was serious eye candy on the PC when cranked to full.

It certainly looks better than the PS2/Xbox versions due to the ability to have it render in higher resolutions (and with anti-aliasing IIRC) - though the shadow of your car always goes a bit weird whenever I've tried playing it on PC.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 15:39 
Meh

Steam accept Paypal who also happen accept any debit card known to man.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 17:21 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Jonarob wrote:
Is the Games for Windows Live thing good? I like the idea of contributing to my gamerscore on PC, instead of wasting my time on non-'cheev games and that.
Yes, it is, actually. I wish more titles supported it.

This forum is the bizarro version of all the rest of the internet.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 17:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Jonarob wrote:
Two sets! Some people do this with Jap/German versions of games, some of which have different achievement lists and are recognised as two different games. Like Gears 2 has a Jap version and a PAL/US version, so if you can easily max one out, they get the other version and max that out as well. Bloody nerds.

Jonarob wrote:
wasting my time on non-'cheev games

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 17:52 

Grim... wrote:
Jonarob wrote:

Jonarob wrote:
wasting my time on non-'cheev games

Damn you Grim... Damn you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 17:52 

RuySan wrote:
Present your case, man! What's bad about GfWL?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 17:54 
Skillmeister

I like Games for Windows. It is a good way to fight the pirates. People come from miles around to get down with the pirates. ROCK AND ROLL GAMES FOR LIVE! ROCK AND ROLL GAMES FOR LIVE! ROCK AND ROLL GAMES FOR LIVE! ROCK AND ROLL GAMES FOR LIVE! Rock over London, rock on Chicago. You can't get quicker than a quick fit fitter.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 18:15 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
RuySan wrote:

My question its not what's bad, but what's good?. It's useless and i'd rather not have it. It's just makes games take more time to load.

Dimrill, how come can GfWL fight piracy? It just makes me want to torrent the game so i can have a cracked version to bypass it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 18:54 
Esoteric

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
RuySan wrote:

That fact that it means you're 99% of the time guaranteed a shitty fucking console port.

Because games using it ONLY work with Microsoft 360 controllers for Windows*

* Yes I know how nice these pads are, but that's called a monopoly.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 19:10 

RuySan wrote:
My question its not what's bad, but what's good?. It's useless and i'd rather not have it. It's just makes games take more time to load.
It allows me to exchange messages with my Xbox friends while I am playing PC. It allows me to see that a network game of BF1943 has just started up, receive an invite to it, and decide to switch the PC off and go turn the 360 on so I can play. It allows me to have achievements tracking so I can brag to my mates about doing cool shit in games. It allows me to know when my friends have come online but are playing a different game, so I can invite them to this one (or go join them in their one).

I don't know of any other way to do anything like this apart from the Steam friends system. What do you think of that?

JohnCoffey wrote:
Incorrect. Shadowrun supported mouse and keyboard. We are all playing DoW2 with mouse and keyboard.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 19:13 
Honey Boo Boo

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
Incorrect. Shadowrun supported mouse and keyboard. We are all playing DoW2 with mouse and keyboard.

I think he might mean that if you want to use a joypad, it has to be an MS 360 one.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 19:17 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
RuySan wrote:
It allows me to exchange messages with my Xbox friends while I am playing PC. It allows me to see that a network game of BF1943 has just started up, receive an invite to it, and decide to switch the PC off and go turn the 360 on so I can play. It allows me to have achievements tracking so I can brag to my mates about doing cool shit in games. It allows me to know when my friends have come online but are playing a different game, so I can invite them to this one (or go join them in their one).

Achievements are useless stupidity. They can be cool for arcade-like score chasing games. But for Fallout 3 and Oblivion? Or achievements that are about grinding and not skill? it just shows you don't have a life. How cool is that? .

Well, as for the rest, my friends don't play games. Well, they do, once in a while, but i doubt they buy games. But that's my problem, not gfwl problem, i concede that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 19:20 

RuySan wrote:
Well, as for the rest, my friends don't play games. Well, they do, once in a while, but i doubt they buy games. But that's my problem, not gfwl problem, i concede that.
And that's why you see no value in the service. Take it from the rest of us, it's ace.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 19:40 

Mr Dave wrote:
RuySan wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Malabar Front wrote:
More frames than you can possibly detect per second!
40, then.
That's rubbish. There a big noticeable difference between 40 and 60. In fact, i find the 30fps that is the norm in consoles unplayable for action games. 60fps all the way for me, even if i have to play with quake 1-like graphics.
Mmm. There's a school of thought that puts the difference in playablilty down to reduced input latency in 60FPS rather than the increased graphical frame rate.
I always thought it was down to leaving headroom so if you hit a bit where it struggled you'd be able to lose a few frames before it became noticeable.

Also, it reminds me of "audiophiles" & all the pish that comes with them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 19:47 

WullieOoster wrote:
I always thought it was down to leaving headroom so if you hit a bit where it struggled you'd be able to lose a few frames before it became noticeable.
There's that too. All of these discussions should really be focussed on minimum framerate, not average.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 19:59 

I actually notice the difference with high frame rates but only with certain types of things. The RC sim I have never dips below 55 or 60 when using the photographic backgrounds when the model is the only 'real' object on screen. I hate it using the 3D environments, it just doesn't feel as nice even though the frame rate is still up in the 30s and 40s all the time. It just feels a bit wrong like the connection between the stick inputs and what's happening on screen is slightly broken. With most stuff though it's changing frame rates that seem to be the worst thing, I can seem to adjust to anything reasonable but if it's really quick and then dips down it kind of pulls me out of the game a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 0:40 
Esoteric

MetalAngel wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:

I think he might mean that if you want to use a joypad, it has to be an MS 360 one.

Yup. So for example with Juiced 2 HIN I had to download a joypad to keyboard app. Then map my joypad as buttons. As you can imagine it didn't work so well and there was a lag. And certain games just don't really work on a keyboard or mouse.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 0:42 
Esoteric

Oh and I decided to go for the hatrick and ordered Turok for £5.50 del. Last year's one like. Always had a soft spot for Turok games and totally forgot all about it.

So that's about £14 for 3 PC games. Orsum.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:16 
Meh

JohnCoffey wrote:
Oh and I decided to go for the hatrick and ordered Turok for £5.50 del. Last year's one like. Always had a soft spot for Turok games and totally forgot all about it.

So that's about £14 for 3 PC games. Orsum.

Coulda, shoulda bought Left4Dead but I know you didn't want your arse handed to you on a platter every day.

Also Turok ewwwwwww

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:38 
Ready for action

If I was to buy a middel of the road PC/laptop for about £600 and it had a pretty standard graphics card in it which isn't listed as one up to spec for the Sims 3, would it not play the game at all? Would I be better of just paying more for a better PC?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:40 
UltraMod

£600 is plenty for a gaming PC these days, it seems.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:42 

Yeah, I'll let someone else give you a fuller answer but the short one is that you don't need to spend anything like £600 on a PC to get one that will run the Sims 3. Mine cost £330 and runs Crysis no problem at all. Ask John Coffey to search out a deal for you, he seems quite good at that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:52 

markg wrote:
Yeah, I'll let someone else give you a fuller answer but the short one is that you don't need to spend anything like £600 on a PC to get one that will run the Sims 3. Mine cost £330 and runs Crysis no problem at all. Ask John Coffey to search out a deal for you, he seems quite good at that.

This.. I got the same rig as Mark... it is awesome, they now do a Nvidia version too..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:53 

First decide for sure if you want a laptop or desktop, Gill.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:54 

And if you'd prefer either a Nazi or non-Nazi supplier.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:58 
UltraMod

And never call it a 'rig', Gill, lest you want to lose all the respect I have for you.

Reply to topic  [ 2211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 45  Next