Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 5819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 117  Next
 Post subject: Re: "Cheap" iPhone
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 22:41 
lazy eye patch

MA, do you give your tracks ratings at all? Do you use iTunes already? I have around half a terabyte of typical mp3s, but I can comfortably fit my 'favourites' into 8gb, 6.2gb in fact. I've been doing this slowly over a period of years, though. It might be a bit tedious to start from scratch. ?:|

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 22:46 

MetalAngel wrote:
My collection at the moment is 14.09Gb, and when I ripped my CDs in I deliberately did them at MP3 encoding 160 or 192k. Only stuff I downloaded is going to be in anything different.
You know that AAC at 128 probably sounds as good as, perhaps slightly better, than the 192 mp3? It's not as useful though in terms of device support. I'm planning a re-ripping mission soon and I'm likely to do a key rip in FLAC, which is another of these lossless rips, and auto-convert them all into mp3 for streaming to Xbox, burning to CD for the car, etc.

If you'd actually want all that on the phone then yeah, you'd need to go up to the 16Gb iPhone, in which case my advice is to wait for the 3G model which (it is looking increasingly likely) will be with us in June. Do you want it all on there at once, though? I'm fairly sure that, as with the iPod Shuffle, you can tell iTunes to "sync all this music" for, say, 4Gb of stuff you know you want always and then choose at random from the rest of your library to fill the disk up. Each sync a different random selection is chosen. I know that'd do for me, there are all sorts of dusty corners of my music that I don't need at my fingertips at all times.

Note that the Viewty has no internal memory and the largest reasonably priced memory card I've seen for it is a 6Gb, for £20ish. I think the 8Gb cards are still quite pricey and I don't think there are any sizes beyond that yet.

Quote:
I've played with a colleague's iPhone and am stupendously impressed with the limited time I've spent with it. The only real negatives for me are the small capacity and the price. The LG was suggested by the aforementioned telesales bloke (who didn't know what he was on about, from the sound of things)
The Viewty does have a very very good camera, if that's a priority for you. I've not spent any time with it, but the reviews that I've read suggest it's a good phone overall.

I'd still wait for the 3G iPhone if I were you, if only to see exactly what it is and how it changes the picture overall.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 23:31 
Honey Boo Boo

richardgaywood wrote:
I'm likely to do a key rip in FLAC, which is another of these lossless rips, and auto-convert them all into mp3 for...

;)

Quote:
Do you want it all on there at once, though? I'm fairly sure that, as with the iPod Shuffle, you can tell iTunes to "sync all this music" for, say, 4Gb of stuff you know you want always and then choose at random from the rest of your library to fill the disk up. Each sync a different random selection is chosen. I know that'd do for me, there are all sorts of dusty corners of my music that I don't need at my fingertips at all times.

A big factor in my enjoyment of iTunes, and part of the reason that I finally got off my arse and ripped everything into it (when I hadn't before with Winamp) and organised it and all... is that I love hearing from the dusty corners. Stuff that I might scroll past or forget I even had. You know what it's like: you have the music on, and are only half paying attention, and suddenly you notice you are really liking what you hear, and switch back to iTunes to see what it is.

Quote:
Note that the Viewty has no internal memory and the largest reasonably priced memory card I've seen for it is a 6Gb, for £20ish.

Not bad. If I get one I'd almost certainly use the leftover money for an iPod, so the Viewty would be digital camera and phone only (rather like I currently use my 6233)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 23:44 

MetalAngel wrote:
richardgaywood wrote:
I'm likely to do a key rip in FLAC, which is another of these lossless rips, and auto-convert them all into mp3 for...
;)
Did you doubt, EVEN FOR A SECOND, that I could vastly over-complicate this simple and mundane task?

The trick here is to use a clever linux facility to expose a file share on the server that appears to be full of mp3 files.. but actually doesn't even exist. The mp3 files are actually created on the fly, as they are requested, from the perfect-CD-copy FLAC files. I dunno how well it works in practice but it's very clever and I'd like to try it.

Quote:
A big factor in my enjoyment of iTunes, and part of the reason that I finally got off my arse and ripped everything into it (when I hadn't before with Winamp) and organised it and all... is that I love hearing from the dusty corners. Stuff that I might scroll past or forget I even had. You know what it's like: you have the music on, and are only half paying attention, and suddenly you notice you are really liking what you hear, and switch back to iTunes to see what it is.
Fair comment. You should note, though, that the iPod Classic is quite a bit physically larger and heavier than the flash-based iPods because of the hard disk in there, and is much much larger than you need for music alone. Unless you'd get use out of it as an external hard disk I'd suggest your ideal iPod is a 16Gb Touch.

Quote:
Not bad. If I get one I'd almost certainly use the leftover money for an iPod, so the Viewty would be digital camera and phone only (rather like I currently use my 6233)
Fair enough. You should probably trot to CPW and actually hold some phones, by the sounds of it. Note that if you get an iPhone and unlock it you will be able to switch to a somewhat cheaper SIM-only O2 tariff like I have now (I pay £25 per month for 500 min, 1000 SMSs, and unlimited 3G data). I could have chosen unlimited landline calls, unlimited O2 calls, or unlimited WiFi instead of the 3G data bit. I dunno what the outlook is for unlocking the Viewty. The Viewty has no market in aftermarket software either; personally, having had a smartphone where I could put freeware of all sorts on it, I wouldn't go back to a featurephone.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 23:45 

Tap Tap Revolution is brilliant.

That is all.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:06 
UltraMod

Hello my wonderful, wonderful iPhone buddies. I now have a bonafide iPhone with an O2 contract. I no longer want or need to unlock the phone, but would still like to make use of the lovely 3rd party apps such as Megadrives and suchlike. Can I just choose the 'Jailbreak' option in iLiberty? Do I need to restore to 1.1.2 as it's now on 1.1.4? Will I lose the four days' worth of music I've just put on there?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:20 
baron of techno

I believe so. You need to get installer on there as well but I suppose iLiberty does this as part of the operation. I restored mine *to* 1.1.4 before I unlocked it so I doubt you need to go back. May be worth checking over at hackint0sh or somewhere first though. Good luck!

If you lose anything it will be restored next time you sync anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:26 
UltraMod

Hackint0sh says to use Ziphone if you only need to jailbreak it, and iLiberty if you want to unlock/activate/jailbreak.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:31 
baron of techno

Sounds reasonable TBH.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:26 
Honey Boo Boo

richardgaywood wrote:
Did you doubt, EVEN FOR A SECOND, that I could vastly over-complicate this simple and mundane task?

The trick here is to use a clever linux facility to expose a file share on the server that appears to be full of mp3 files.. but actually doesn't even exist. The mp3 files are actually created on the fly, as they are requested, from the perfect-CD-copy FLAC files. I dunno how well it works in practice but it's very clever and I'd like to try it.

That's not nearly complicated enough. You need to rig up some kind of mechanical foot (plugged into a CD player) to rev the engine in your car at different RPMs to transmit the information to the engine management system which will do the actual encoding. This is then somehow connected to your toaster, which will flash its heating elements so that a light sensors can interpret the flashes as ones and zeroes and feed this back into your PC as the actual music files.

Quote:
Fair comment. You should note, though, that the iPod Classic is quite a bit physically larger and heavier than the flash-based iPods because of the hard disk in there, and is much much larger than you need for music alone. Unless you'd get use out of it as an external hard disk I'd suggest your ideal iPod is a 16Gb Touch.

Which assumes, incorrectly, that I'll never have more than 16Gb more music, ever. I am angry that I never bought one of the 30Gb iPods of yore as that would have been perfect. Curses!

Quote:
Fair enough. You should probably trot to CPW and actually hold some phones, by the sounds of it. Note that if you get an iPhone and unlock it you will be able to switch to a somewhat cheaper SIM-only O2 tariff like I have now (I pay £25 per month for 500 min, 1000 SMSs, and unlimited 3G data). I could have chosen unlimited landline calls, unlimited O2 calls, or unlimited WiFi instead of the 3G data bit. I dunno what the outlook is for unlocking the Viewty. The Viewty has no market in aftermarket software either; personally, having had a smartphone where I could put freeware of all sorts on it, I wouldn't go back to a featurephone.

Righty ho.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:36 

Quote:
[/quote]

Yeah this is my problem. The ipod I could stand to watch video on, doesn't have enough space for video, the one that does have space (the classic) has a screen that can't be seen with the naked eye.

An ipod touch, with a 160gb HD, even if physically larger, would be an instant purchase I suspect. As it is, I'm considering the rather ace Creative Zen Vision W.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:35 
Worst

I'm gonna look into that Armani phone, to go with my glasses. Am I a whore or are they any cop?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:56 
UltraMod

I'm a wee bit concerned. I pressed 'Jailbreak' on Ziphone about 20 mins ago and it's still going. Is this normal?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 13:13 
UltraMod

Ok! It wasn't working properly so I quit out and restarted Ziphone and now I have a jailbroken phone. Any recommendations for sites for awesome apps?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:07 
Isn't that lovely?

myoptika wrote:
Does anyone else agree that I appeared hostile?

you did in that particular message yes.

Malc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 14:08 
Can you dig it?

I don't think he was, more that the other person took it too personally or whatever. Robust talk is what this forum (and WoS) were all about, right?

Anyway. Got an iphone all unlocked and everything. It's a lovely little device but not without it's flaws. It was very easy to unlock. In time honoured fashion I'll break it down into my own fellings of pros and cons based on a few hours of playing around with it.

Good:
Lovely user interface, so simple. Never having to go into pages and pages of sub-sub-sub-menu options is great.
Safari works excellently. Best phone browsing i have seen so far.
The screen looks fantastic, and is very easy to use. I'm very impressed by the whole touch screen thang, it really is convenient.
The QWERTY on screen keyboard for texts is great.
The way it diplays texts is super-neat if you use them for conversations.
Very easy to unlock

Bad:
Cannot forward texts.
Cannot store text templates.
No copy/paste.
The headphone socket is a tad too recessed.
I felt a bit of a twat using it in the pub.
The camera is pants.
It didn't sound as good as my old iPod photo.

-EDIT- also no MMS support straight up. Apparently there is a 3rd party app to do this, as yet I've not tried it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 14:11 
UltraMod

Yep, I'd say that's a pretty fair analysis. Hopefully the text forwarding/copy & paste will be fixed with firmware upgrades.

I'm really impressed with it so far, so much so that I've bought one for Ange also.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 14:13 
lazy eye patch

Gah! I shall have to sort out my postcode issues forthwith* and get one of these things *slobbers*

* A few years ago we had our postcode changed very slightly. For stupid reasons to do with never having any money but lots of debt, and the complications that address changes cause, lots of my bank stuff still uses that non-existant address...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 14:39 

Sir Taxalot wrote:

This, this. Using it at work guarantees comments along the lines of "someone obviously gets paid too much", even from those bastards earning literally twice what I do.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 14:51 
UltraMod

Zio wrote:
Sir Taxalot wrote:

This, this. Using it at work guarantees comments along the lines of "someone obviously gets paid too much", even from those bastards earning literally twice what I do.

I got the tedious "money to burn" comment today. Just ignore their green eyes! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 14:59 

To be fair, as far as they know you just spent £800 on a phone.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 15:02 
baron of techno

Dudley wrote:

People do tend to mock you for being a cheapskate when they discover it's on PAYG. Often the same people who were just previously mocking you for spending a ridiculous amount on a phone. I hate those people.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 15:21 
Can you dig it?

Texting wasn't too bad, but when I had to actually answer a call I felt a knob (figuratively speaking there, innuendo fans). Especially as I'd left the plastic wrapper on, so the earpiece was covered and I couldn't hear anything :nerd:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 15:26 

See, now I want one, but:

I have a iPod (160GB, because I like to listen to audiobooks when I travel, because reading whilst travelling makes me feel ill), and a working phone, which I hardly ever use. I also have a couple of good cameras, and I doubt I'd ever be happy with the output of a camera built into a phone. In short, I just have no used for one, they just look nice :smug:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 15:28 

kalmar wrote:
Dudley wrote:

People do tend to mock you for being a cheapskate when they discover it's on PAYG. Often the same people who were just previously mocking you for spending a ridiculous amount on a phone. I hate those people.

I dislike people like that, also. Someone said being on a PAYG tariff made me look either cheap, poor or a chav, but didn't take into account that I spend less than £5 a month using my mobile. Actually, I don't know where I have put it because i never use it and it must have run out of battery weeks ago now. Anyway, I AM poor, so they were technically right :p

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 15:37 
Excellent Member

myoptika wrote:
I'm really impressed with it so far, so much so that I've bought one for Ange also.

I wish it would hurry up and arrive!

I was boasting to my friend about the landscape/portrait magicalness of it. She told me her boyfriends' Sony Erricson does it. D'oh, I'm not going to be as special as I thought.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 15:40 
UltraMod

ZOMG, I've just checked out the O2 iPhone tariffs, and they give you unlimited data transfer!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 15:42 

myoptika wrote:
ZOMG, I've just checked out the O2 iPhone tariffs, and they give you unlimited data transfer!
Duh. I'm on that tariff via O2's SIMplicity SIM-only deals. I pay £25 a month for 500min/1000 SMS/unlimited 3G data [*]. If I added the Unlimited Wifi bolt-on for a nother £7.50 I'd have the same as the bottom rung iPhone tariff, but with twice as many SMSs and £2.50 per month cheaper.

Translation: O2's SIM only tariffs are a good deal.

[*] Fair use applies

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 15:52 
baron of techno

I just get the "unlimited" data add-on when I need it, i.e. when travelling somewhere. That costs £1 a day (Orange World). Otherwise I use it on wifi a lot, and use the PAYG data (40p a go) if I urgently want to check my email while in the car, say.

So with that, my usage was still less than £10 this month, and most of that was texts.

Handy to have though, and I'd certainly not be bothering to carry around an ipod / organiser / web browser thing as well as a phone.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 16:32 

Ange wrote:
myoptika wrote:

I wish it would hurry up and arrive!

I was boasting to my friend about the landscape/portrait magicalness of it. She told me her boyfriends' Sony Erricson does it. D'oh, I'm not going to be as special as I thought.

Hello Ange! I have heard of Ange :p Ange is the girlfriend of ONE person here - Myoptika, perhaps.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 16:33 

Ah yes, the fact that I have just quoted Myoptika saying he has bought Ange a phone probably means that it is Myoptika. OR that something very fishy is going on...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 16:50 

As my work provides me with a mobile phone and it is the SIM card for that which I'm using in my iPhone, you could say that I also have a pretty good deal - free, unlimited calls, texts and GPRS use. Obviously a fair use policy is enforced, in that if I use it too much I'll get sacked, but still...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 17:25 

Mimi wrote:
Ah yes, the fact that I have just quoted Myoptika saying he has bought Ange a phone probably means that it is Myoptika. OR that something very fishy is going on...

I was wondering if I'd have to point that out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 17:52 

I am on a go slow day...

Every day.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 18:50 
UltraMod

My iPhone has officially got ten times better, as I have managed to get SwirlyMMS working.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 18:51 

stop it STOP IT STOP IT will not buy do not want will not buy do not want

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 19:06 
UltraMod

I've just installed SCUMMVM, a PSX emulator and I've got SSH access now. I'll let you know how I get on with destroying my phone. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 20:03 
UltraMod

It didn't take long.

HEED THIS ADVICE WELL: if you decide you want SSH access, whatever you do, DO NOT change the root password. I installed an app that advised me to do so, and now I'm experiencing the Edit Home Screen Loop.

I'm currently performing a restore - my buttocks are firmly clenched.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 20:13 
UltraMod

And he snatches victory from the jaws of defeat! It worked. I restored it to factory settings and then it's now restoring my iPhone back to how it was two hours ago.

Phew.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 21:58 

Uh... what's the "edit home screen loop" bug? I changed the root password on my mobile as soon as I got SSH access to it and I've not experienced anything?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:50 
UltraMod

What version of the firmware are you using? It only affects 1.1.3 and 1.1.4.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:32 

1.1.4. What exactly is the bug?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:18 
UltraMod

a message pops up letting you know that you can edit the home screen icon positions by holding down on one of them until it starts to wobble. You can click on 'dismiss', but then the apple logo appears, the home screen loads and the message appears again.

I'm now having problems installing the PSX and GBA emulators - it's telling me 'Package download failed' even though I've already used BossTools to move my ringtones and fonts onto the large partition. I have over 200MB free, so what's the beef?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:26 

Curious. I can re-arrange the icons on mine with no issues, and it didn't popup any message telling me that I could edit the home screen icon positions.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:54 
lazy eye patch

Hoorah, finished buying mine! They phoned me yesterday to query the failed order, I called my bank to moan at them, and now have completed the process.

The interesting thing is that I wanted it delivered to a different address than my billing one - no go, but I could have it delivered to a branch of my choosing. I do wonder if they really are going to deliver it, and not just let me go and pick one up from the stockroom there.

Also, at the end of the entire process, after payment was completed, I was read the terms & conditions of buying an iPhone through O2. No joke, it takes five fucking minutes. Almost all of which regarding your contract with O2.

La la la...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 13:03 

I picked up one from Cartoon Whorehouse yesterday with the intention of unlocking it, then flogging it on Ebay. Firmware update and unlocking/jailbreaking/activation all went without a hitch.

But now I'm playing with it. And looking for apps to install. And wondering if I can get music on it without iTunes. Need... Willpower...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 13:13 
Hibernating Druid

I love your new avatar.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 14:03 

Wow, this app thing is a pain in the arse. A lovely program called "Installer" is present on the unlocked iphone, which connects to the interweb and provides a huge catalogue of native apps you can apparently download and install straight off. Except! After installing Tap Tap Revolution, every single attempt at other software gives "Error / Package download failed!". Fab!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 14:09 
baron of techno

Stuart Ashen wrote:
Wow, this app thing is a pain in the arse. A lovely program called "Installer" is present on the unlocked iphone, which connects to the interweb and provides a huge catalogue of native apps you can apparently download and install straight off. Except! After installing Tap Tap Revolution, every single attempt at other software gives "Error / Package download failed!". Fab!

What? Didn't do that to me ?:| Try switching the phone totally off (hold down the button on top) and back on.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 14:17 
lazy eye patch

Reply to topic  [ 5819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 117  Next