Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Married Chums!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 21:26 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Shewolf wrote:
Well, each to their own but I wouldn't be that happy about my other half chatting up random girls on a night out.

Tchah, it's not even proper chatting up, he's just showing off. It's when he builds them a small village that you want to start drawing lines.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 21:28 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
CUS wrote:
I'm confused now. Is Digitgamer a lesbian-only games forum? I don't find men sexually attractive either - can I join? Mind you, I still have sex with them.

Nooooo, but there is a ladies only section to the forum, and there was some surprise a couple of years ago as to the amount of bi/lesbian ladies on there.

Everyone's bisexual on the internet. Especially women. And even more especially, "women".

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 21:49 
lazy eye patch

And if they're not bisexual, they're bipolar. Both just tedious inventions to cover kissing the same sex / being erratic and moody like a twat, there's no truth to either of them. Okay, maybe there is like, 1% of the internet's population who might be really so, but that's not a condition, that's just being a freak. You don't find either in 'real life', that's for damn sure. 'hem.

Also, I agree with Sinister Agent. At the same time, this is a sarcastic post. I need to make an icon.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 22:18 

Shewolf wrote:
Well, each to their own but I wouldn't be that happy about my other half chatting up random girls on a night out.

You see I just.... don't understand. For my wife, who is a much better flirt than me and better looking (relatively speaking) by some margin, is a cock magnet. She gets a bunch of attention and it makes her feel good. I'd be a twat to insist she didn't enjoy a good flirt. And I trust her not to be unfaithful, or I'd never have married her, so I needn't worry. I don't see flirting with other blokes as disrespectful to me because she's devoted her life and future to me, supported me when I needed it, fellated me when I needed that and generally proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that she's got it for me really, really bad. But she has to look at my face and smell my breath every day, and all I do is smoke weed and play video games and talk shit, so if she wants to spend some time with a suave motherfucker who makes her feel attractive in that 'new' way a steady relationship simply, by definition, cannot then good for her. So long as she doesn't sit on his/her face or that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 22:30 
Peculiar, yet lovely

I'm with goatboy. Flirting is too good for the spirit for me to ask someone to stop it or stop it myself. It all depends on the aim, though - most people can tell when you're harmlessly flirting and will reciprocate just because it's fun and mutually flattering.

Plus the sort of woman I'm generally attracted to would most likely just do it to annoy me if I made a fuss about it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 23:55 

The worst thing is when someone tries to flirt or press their phone number on you and won't take no for an answer. I get this from passengers n train and tube journeys, and also (for some reason) from bus drivers. I hate bus drivers in London for this. I once was being bothered by a bus driver who kept shouting at me to come and speak to him so moved to the top deck and a few stops later he stopped the bus, came upstairs and started to force his number on me.

Another one once got off of a bus to give me his number and talk, leaving loads of pissed off people late for work on board.

I didn't want to speak to either of these people, I didn't want their numbers nor greasy leerings. The one that came to the top deck to bother me I complained about, but the person that took my complaint actually said that I should be flattered! he didn't take me seriously at all, so I wrote a letter of complaint that was never answered.

A guy that spent 45 minutes bothering me on the train once, almost begged me to take his number scribbled on a napkin, and just pissed me off.

Overly persistant people piss me off, and not something that I need to base my self-esteem on.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 0:00 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Ugh, yeah, that is a bit much, to put it mildly. That'd annoy me if it ev... that annoys me, the way it happens seven or eight times a day. Hour. Day.

I suppose ability to flirt well - entertainingly, sincerely and not pushily - is something I look for in a woman without realising it. I like all the sparring and playing of it, see. But I think I'd probably hurl myself through a window if I were as sleazy and aggressive about it as those bus drivers.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 0:15 
Legendary Boogeyman

Mimi wrote:
The worst thing is when someone tries to flirt or press their phone number on you and won't take no for an answer. I get this from passengers n train and tube journeys, and also (for some reason) from bus drivers. I hate bus drivers in London for this. I once was being bothered by a bus driver who kept shouting at me to come and speak to him so moved to the top deck and a few stops later he stopped the bus, came upstairs and started to force his number on me.

Jesus Christ meeps :(

Take a hint people, whoever you are, that if the person you are speaking to doesn't show an interest in the first 30 seconds, fuck off and leave them alone. It baffles me that these people think their brand of forceful weirdness is going to be a winner.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 0:58 
Kvnt

Quote:
It baffles me that these people think their brand of forceful weirdness is going to be a winner.

These people sound like they jumped out of the telly when someone was watching On the Buses re-runs, and saw not modern, intelligent women inhabiting the planet, but 'dolly birds'.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:30 

ComicalGnomes wrote:
Take a hint people, whoever you are, that if the person you are speaking to doesn't show an interest in the first 30 seconds, fuck off and leave them alone. It baffles me that these people think their brand of forceful weirdness is going to be a winner.

Because, all too frequently, it is.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:38 
Best
Board Mother

sinister agent wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
CUS wrote:
I'm confused now. Is Digitgamer a lesbian-only games forum? I don't find men sexually attractive either - can I join? Mind you, I still have sex with them.

Nooooo, but there is a ladies only section to the forum, and there was some surprise a couple of years ago as to the amount of bi/lesbian ladies on there.

Everyone's bisexual on the internet. Especially women. And even more especially, "women".

Most of them were in relationships with other women. I'm not going to go into details, but I have enough friends who are bi/straight/gay to know the difference.

What I find odd is people who announce it, no offence to Kizzy, but you guys didn't come on here and say you were straight within a few posts, so why do that? It's like pointing out that there's something special about you, when gay and bi people have been trying to get their sexuality seen as normal for so long. It just doesn't make much sense to me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:16 
Most Excellent Pagan Wench

What's not to understand? lol
I don't like it and neither does my other half. I think flirting with other people stops when you are in a relationship.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:28 

I was thinking the same, G.J. I'm straight, so maybe it is hard for me to see, but to campaign to encourage your sexuality to be seen as completely normal and then see the need to announce your sexuality to people seems to be to different ends. Maybe things need to be constantly announced and the public need to be reminded before what was once 'strange' can be seen as 'normal', I don't know, but I didn't think that a forum such as this would need such announcement - we're a pretty sensible, tolerant bunch. Unless you like The Mighty Boosh - The Boosh lovers are a repressed minority, though we did have a lot of people 'out' themselves recently over this.

Something did bother me, though, but I was worried about saying it as I didn't want it to look like I was trying to pick specifically on what one person had said, but I guess that's part of adult conversation. Anyway, I felt a little bit put out by this:

Kizzy wrote:
Chatting girls up is _easy_, you just pick the ones that are obviously sexually repressed, get them really drunk and then let them know that you're bisexual.

'course it only really works if you're a girl yourself...

I think if a guy said that he had been singling out sexually repressed people as easy targets, getting them smashed off their faces and then 'pulling them' people might have said something strong in reply, because it seems like a git-ish thing to do. What is being suggested could really screw with people's heads. I don't agree with anyone singling people out because they think they are 'sexually repressed', it's tantamount to preying on someone that they see as weak and could have consequences for the other person that you don't consider. Gosh, if I'd been going through a tough time and some random woman got me so drunk I didn't know what I was doing and I slept with her and woke up the next morning I'd be really upset.

I once came out of a relationship and was going through a tough time and met a guy who treated me badly. After that run it's rather short course I found out that he asked me out because he knew that I had had a break-up with someone I loved and thought I was 'an easy target' - he thought he'd catch me on the rebound. I think it says more about the person instigating the relationship/fling/one-night-stand when they specifically go out to look for people that are hurt from a previous relationship or 'sexually repressed' than the person who has been seen as some kind of 'target'. I have been in a relationship for a long time now, but if I were hoping to meet someone I'd hope to meet someone who was confident as well as intelligent and loving, not someone that I thought was sexually repressed. Also, I'd hope that I was able to meet people without having to get them blindingly drunk first!

If a guy was saying that he went to bars and picked on sexually repressed women to get really really drunk to be able to pick them up, or indeed a man specifically going out to get men he saw as 'sexually repressed' extremely drunk in a bid to 'pick them up' many people would think him a bastard for doing so, but lesbianism is still wrongly seen as some kind of titillating act in the media and so it's treated differently.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 13:06 

Mimi wrote:
I was thinking the same, G.J. I'm straight, so maybe it is hard for me to see, but to campaign to encourage your sexuality to be seen as completely normal and then see the need to announce your sexuality to people seems to be to different ends.

Of course I've long said the same about women on message boards in general. You know, the ones who go on places like RG with names like ooh, "Video Gamer Girl" and immediately post "Look I'm a girl. A Girl! A Girl who plays games! I bet I'm the only one on here! A Girl!"

And then wonder why they don't get taken seriously, the few who stick around after finding out they're nowhere the near "The only girl" and that shtick won't get them attention anyway.

Usually it comes down to the same thing "Look at me! I'm different! Give me attention!"

I'm glad we don't have that persona on here, although I certainly wondered if Jasmine was going to be like that when I first saw the nickname.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 13:10 
Skillmeister

The difference is that Jasmine actually has holy powers.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 13:32 

That's why I posted as 'The Bouncing Hedgehog' when I joined WoS - I wanted to keep the account that I was female under wraps for a little while so that I was taken seriously, which is also why I never mentioned being with Craig for a good year or so, so that I wasn't just thought of as 'Craig's girlfriend'. OK, so looking back 'The Bouncing hedgehog' was still a bit girlie, and I think people realised pretty soon that I was a girl, but I think I was accepted by then.

The thing is, it's hard to make people realise that you are not trading off your persona as 'ooooh, girl' if you, like me, like girlie things, so sometimes I worry that people don't take me seriously because they think that I try to amplify my feminity by being al cutesy, but that's just my personality and if people don't like it then I can't do much about it, and I'm not going to change my persona in an effort to 'toughen up', just to be taken seriously. Happily, I find these forums to be understanding of my whims and personality and I think (well, I hope) that people don't see me as some brainless idiot just because I like pink things and silly hats.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 13:35 
UltraMod

I don't think you're a brainless idiot just because of the hats... ;)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 13:35 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I don't think most of the people on here really care if you're a girl or not, as long as you bring something of interest to the conversation.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 13:36 

Is it the comedy felt moustaches as well?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 13:41 

Craster wrote:
I don't think most of the people on here really care if you're a girl or not, as long as you bring something of interest to the conversation.

No, that's what I am saying. That's why I like you guys so much. I think if I had joined WoS in the vein of "here I am, I am a GIRL!", though, you might not have taken me seriously - mostly because if that were how I first made myself known to you I would have been suggesting myself that my only notable attribute was that of being female. I love being a female, and the sort of female that I am, but I don't want that to be the only thing that defines me.

I don't know the other girls on here well enough yet, but neither GJ nor Starling ever seemed to come across this way either, and I am so glad to have been accepted into the whole group here and have some other excellent females, too!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 13:43 
UltraMod

Loads of people think I'm gay when they first meet me, so can I be in your gang too?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 13:46 

Well, I'm still recruiting for my Girl Band if you are ineterested

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 13:49 
UltraMod

Can I be the middle one? She's hot.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 13:56 

Yeah, sure. We're having a group visit to the hairdressers on Wednesday.

Bring your spotty blouse.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 14:01 
UltraMod

Can you tell me how to *be* Billie Boswell of the popular beat-combo, the Boswell Sisters?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 14:07 
Paws for thought

Mimi wrote:
OK, so looking back 'The Bouncing hedgehog' was still a bit girlie, and I think people realised pretty soon that I was a girl, but I think I was accepted by then.

A bit? Tsk, Mims, it was a bit obvious, just not in a 'I'm a girl IN YOUR FACE' way) However, I'd say that talking to girls is hardly a rarity for people here, and so not really worth commenting on. Some places on the internet, you definately don't get that feeling.

Quote:
I think (well, I hope) that people don't see me as some brainless idiot just because I like pink things and silly hats.

I always think of you as a brainless idiot.*

* - A cunningly disguised lie. I now think that of you due to your admittance of liking pink things and silly hats. I never used to think that.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 14:11 
UltraMod

I've got silly hats and I'm not a girl.

Oh.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 14:15 

Mr Dave wrote:
Mimi wrote:
OK, so looking back 'The Bouncing hedgehog' was still a bit girlie, and I think people realised pretty soon that I was a girl, but I think I was accepted by then.

A bit? Tsk, Mims, it was a bit obvious.

See, I wanted a new name - I usually used 'Freckle', but thought I'd go for something a bit more neutral. I thought I'd choose and animal, and had just sen a little hedgehog in my garden, so went with that, but thought I wanted something a little more descriptive, so tried to think of something that the hedgehog could be doing, something funny. Well, bouncing is the funniest thing that you can do, so...

People thought it was a reference to some (to me) obscure game*, though, so I had a lot of people PM-ing me asking if I liked a game that I had never heard of.

*Not Sonic...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 14:20 
UltraMod

Was it called 'The Bouncing Hedgehog'?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 14:22 
Skillmeister

I did nearly sign up to WoS as The Jiggling Badger under similar circumstances.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 14:24 
UltraMod

I was almost "the Masturbating Stoat", but thought better of it. Not sure why.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 14:25 
Paws for thought

I'm still not going to reveal what my original WoS username was. (Although I will reveal the reason why I changed - I had a PM from someone assuming I was a girl. and well, let's just leave it at that. I didn't think the username was at all feminine)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 14:26 
UltraMod

Was it 'Ms Davina'?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 14:27 
Paws for thought

No.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 14:29 

Was it 'I_AM_A_GIRL'?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 14:32 
UltraMod

Mimi wrote:
Was it 'I_AM_A_GIRL'?

Fucking hell, I nearly posted that as my second question, but thought I'd stop teasing Dave for a while.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 16:13 

"Was it Reverina Stu?"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 16:21 
Paws for thought

None even close. For a start, they're all too long.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 16:23 

Was it "Tits"?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 16:26 
Excellent Member

Did you consider having a terrifying avatar with a fearsome glowering woman wearing a t-shirt saying 'I Will Not Leave You'?

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 22:31 
Honey Boo Boo

Goatboy wrote:
she was a lovely, bright, tipsy lass... and a redhead, and a sauce

:kiss:

Did you get that text I sent you about the one I saw at Central station? EATING A BANANA?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:08 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Mimi, I'd like to give you a firm and respectful handshake for saying all that. However, my handshakes are typically awkward as I don't do well with that sort of formality in a non-working context, so I have opted instead to play a firm and respectful game of solitaire instead.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:49 

Mr Chris wrote:
"I'm a lesbian in a man's body"

Just like every other lesbian?

Cheer yourself up
Amiga Power Scans.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:02 

sinister agent wrote:
Mimi, I'd like to give you a firm and respectful handshake for saying all that. However, my handshakes are typically awkward as I don't do well with that sort of formality in a non-working context, so I have opted instead to play a firm and respectful game of solitaire instead.

How about a high-five, then?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:32 

Mimi wrote:
How about a high-five, then?
Which one is you and which one is sinisteragent?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 13:05 

The hair's a giveaway.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 13:17 
lazy eye patch

Only one of them should have a tail.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 14:04 

MetalAngel wrote:
Goatboy wrote:
she was a lovely, bright, tipsy lass... and a redhead, and a sauce

:kiss:

Did you get that text I sent you about the one I saw at Central station? EATING A BANANA?

Hell yeah.

That's the kind of chance discovery that makes me want to get out of bed in the morning. Life might be a total cunt in general, but so long as there's pretty redheads eating bananas and suchlike, there's a reason to keep going.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:51 
Best
Board Mother

Dudley wrote:
I'm glad we don't have that persona on here, although I certainly wondered if Jasmine was going to be like that when I first saw the nickname.

But I've got big boobs!! :p

Seriously though, that name is a throwback to other times and other boards, I very nearly dropped it when I joined from WoS, but plenty of other people were changing their names too and I thought it might cause even more confusion. I would be happy to let it go though.

And Mimi, I think some of the reason that we don't want to say things that we think might insult some people is that Kizzy came across as been known as a friend of people off the boards, I got the impression she knew Grim... certainly, so that makes it harder to say something. But I agree with what you have said, I think if one of the guys off this board had said it both us and several of the other guys on here would have ripped his testicles off, and I don't mean in a pleasant way!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:13 

That last bit is the kind of post I don't like, why is that acceptable when you'd never let a bloke get away with "I'd cut a tit off"?

Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next