Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: TrackMania Nations
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:00 
Excellent Member

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but TrackMania Nations has been released, and it's a free download. Apparently no StarForce copy protection either.

It's good, get it.

http://www.trackmania.com/en/index.php? ... info&id=94

Post subject: Re: TrackMania Nations
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:14 
Your mother.

Do what the man says. It's brilliant.

The best bit of DarkZero

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:54 

Nations Forever is the new one.

Don't get anything called just "Nations", it could well have SF and in any case you'd want to upgrade straight away.

If you bought Trackmania United (and why wouldn't you?) this also creates a free expansion pack for that and you have more options when playing on a server with Nations Forever playing freeloaders such as using custom skins, changing your profile and starting thread topics*.

* 2 of these might be a lie.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:58 
Sleepyhead

What is this?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:12 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Oooh, shiney shiney. I already bought United when it came out, so now I've got a spanky United Forever. I will have to start playing it again!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:58 
Excellent Member

"Don't get anything called just "Nations", it could well have SF and in any case you'd want to upgrade straight away.

If you bought Trackmania United (and why wouldn't you?)"

Yep, the original NATIONS does indeed include Starforce whereas the new one thankfully doesn't. It's a great freebie.

However, regarding the "why wouldn't you?" comment regarding Trackmania United, well...because it DOES contain Starforce ! (only a "light" version apparently, on both the retail and downloadable versions, but ANY form of Starforce is dodgy and risky as far as I'm concerned, so your post seems a little bit contradictory in that respect).

That only concerns the original release of Trackmania United though.
If you now decide to buy the downloadable version of Trackmania United bundled with the FOREVER add-on, it no longer includes Starforce.
Unfortunately it costs £19.99.
You can buy a brand new copy of Trackmania United in the shops (with Starforce) for about £6.99, and the FOREVER expansion is a free download, so £19.99 seems a bit steep.

I'm going to wait until the retail version of UNITED FOREVER (without Starforce) hits the shops (it's coming soon apparently), and I'll no doubt be able to pick up a copy for under a tenner within a few weeks of release (great game in short bursts I'm sure, but not worth risking £19.99 on for me).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:49 

The lite version of Starforce isn't starforce. It's exactly the same as every other copy protection system on every PC game just about ever. It installs no drivers at all.

I have a version downloaded from Nadeo on launch day and it passes the checks here for instance.

http://www.whoismadhur.com/2006/04/06/s ... e-removal/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:25 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

This. I check for this kind of stuff for more of a practical reason than an idealistic one cus the low level driver thingies don't tend to work in XP 64 bit, and buying a game to find out it doesn't work would piss me right off.

The Steam version (now defunt, it just goes to Forever) had nothing over and above any game already, certainly didn't try and install any drivers (and if it did try, it failed silently and worked anyway).

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]