Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Online Food Deliveries
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 21:05 

richardgaywood wrote:
Dudley wrote:
Well it's self evident that minwage boy is just going to grab the first one there rather than rummage, even if he's not actively looking for short dates.
Coutner-point: minwage boy is in the warehouse which, unless the supermarket's stock management is pissed, is going to have the newest stock, certainly newer than the stuff on the shelves. Which may suggest that where supermarkets have sent out near-to-expired stuff for online shopping orders they've actually gone to some lengths to do so.

Minwage guy is not in the warehouse, Tesco (and I assume the others) all do your shopping in the main store, it would be impossible to do so in the warehouse, boxes are never opened in there, it'd be theft heaven.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 0:29 

Dudley wrote:
Minwage guy is not in the warehouse, Tesco (and I assume the others) all do your shopping in the main store, it would be impossible to do so in the warehouse, boxes are never opened in there, it'd be theft heaven.
Oh, that makes sense I guess. I kinda imagined that they would source the deliveries from a distribution centre where they would keep the truck fleet and with proper loading bays etc. Is that not the case then?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 0:52 
Chinny chin chin

Craster wrote:
Shewolf wrote:
A lot of places that can be viewed as a step up the class ladder can be a nightmare to work in.

A step up? I shop at Waitrose because Fortnums won't deliver ;)
:hat:

Fortnums do deliver my dear chap. Have you never had one of their splendid hampers at Chistmas time?

No neither do I, but I know people who do partake.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:22 

richardgaywood wrote:
Dudley wrote:
Oh, that makes sense I guess. I kinda imagined that they would source the deliveries from a distribution centre where they would keep the truck fleet and with proper loading bays etc. Is that not the case then?

Well they already have distribution centres where a large quantity of food can be distributed quickly. They call them shops. Seriously though you'd need too many centres for it to be remotely workable. They do of course only use the larger shops.

They literally just have huge multi trolleys and electronic shopping lists and send a standard minimum wage 16 year old around the shop to do your actual shopping.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:36 
Excellently Membered

Interestingly (perhaps) Ocado are only part owned by Waitrose. None of the food they deliver is from a local Waitrose store but picked in warehouses (making it more likely they'll have stuff in stock). This is then packed in one of those pods and then a bulk load of these pods are sent to distribution points (on lorries) where the pods are placed onto the back to the small vans you see.

Basically making Ocado very good at what they do and probably better than the others.

:munkeh:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 16:59 
That Rev Chap

Tesco used to be good, but got shit. They kept removing more and more things from their online selection until I couldn't get a decent shop out of them.

I'm currently using Sainbury's, who have been excellent so far. Better selection and fewer substitutions - and the the substitutions they do make have been more intelligent.

And Sainsbury's deliver in a one-hour window, rather than two-hour.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 17:00 
What-ho, chaps!

I'd prefer they use the door.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 17:08 
Sleepyhead

MrD wrote:
I'd prefer they use the door.

:) :) :) out of :hat:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 17:32 

The Rev Owen wrote:
I'm currently using Sainbury's, who have been excellent so far. Better selection and fewer substitutions - and the the substitutions they do make have been more intelligent.

In the 20 or so times we've used Ocado, I don't think they've made a single substitution. There have been things that were out of stock, but they were known about at the time of placing the order.

However, on Friday, one of my bags contained a carton of cream that had split, covering the rest of the contents of the bag - mostly washable, although it took out a packet of chillies and a packet of radishes with it, so that was a bit annoying. I got a refund for all three, though.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 17:37 
lazy eye patch

First order from Ocado just been delivered. I had booked it for between 6 and 7, but the driver was in the area. Hoorah!

Had one substitution - a fairly exotic fish item, swapped for something basically the same. Considering Tesco made an average of 2 subs per order, for the 20 or so times I used 'em, that's okay.

No complaints whatsoever. Also, the stuff I've bought does look *really* yummy (the salmon fillet looks particularly delicious), the earliest Use By date is this Friday (some lettuce - everything else is Saturday or Sep09), nothing was spilled or broken (although a box of cup-a-soups* was slightly dented), and yeah. I'm pleased.

Will definitely try them again, although not in a week where I'm entertaining guests. £9 of salmon! Fucking salmon. Salmon.

* Piss off Zardoz :p

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 22:16 

Conversely, I placed my first online Sainsbury's order today, just because they had some beer offers of which I wanted to take advantage. We shall see...

I feel guilty for being unfaithful to Ocado.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 23:22 
SavyGamer

Me and my housemates use Tesco.com, none of us drive.

We have substitutes some of the time, and 3 times had them say they included something, and charged us for it, but it wasn't there. Each time I have phoned them up. 1st time they refunded the cost of the item we hadn't received, and the delivery cost. 2nd time it was the cost of the item and half the delivery cost. This time (yesterday) it was just the cost of the item...

The Tesco site does indeed suck balls, but since I make my hosuemate do the ordering, I don't mind. There is normally a money off voucher floating around too.

We've got it all set up to order the food we want now, and just split it four ways, and buy anything else we want in the middle of the week from the Sainsburies local round the corner.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 23:25 
lazy eye patch

Oh, you lucky git ;) In the week I mostly have to use the local corner shop. I need lots of fresh veg in my diet. They mostly sell Ginsters and chicken tikka wraps. Take advantage of having a Sainsbury's in walking distance, I'm envious.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 23:40 
SavyGamer

CUS wrote:
Oh, you lucky git ;) In the week I mostly have to use the local corner shop. I need lots of fresh veg in my diet. They mostly sell Ginsters and chicken tikka wraps. Take advantage of having a Sainsbury's in walking distance, I'm envious.

It's literally 50 paces away, I'm there all the time. It was one of the things we thought of when we bought the house.

We go through a lot of fruit (especially since I got a smoothie maker) so I always pop in there for that. It's always got loads of really good stuff in the reduced section, like today I got 7 cans of cidre for 50p each, and the other week, me and one of my housemates got 5 packets of ham for next to nothing and had a ham party.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 23:47 

I too have a Tesco Express within 2 minutes walk ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 23:55 
lazy eye patch

Well, I have an ASDA within a taxi ride, but I object to paying extra like that.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 0:06 

Technically speaking, I have your Asda within a taxi ride.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 0:11 
Awesome
Yes

Sorry, going back to LewieP's post...

...a ham party? Excellent!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 0:16 
lazy eye patch

Dudley wrote:

Yeah well I did youre mum

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 0:19 
SavyGamer

Mr Russ wrote:
Sorry, going back to LewieP's post...

...a ham party? Excellent!

It's exactly what it sounds like.

We watched the Jean-Claude Van Ham classic "Universal Soldier" on the telly, whilst eating ham, substituting as many words as we could for "ham" and we did some "Ham art", which we then ate.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:46 

CUS wrote:
Dudley wrote:

Yeah well I did youre mum

It's possible, I don't watch her all the time.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:24 
Legendary Boogeyman

I have a Netto within walking distance, although you do need to don your flak jacket before heading over there. Instead we drive a couple of miles to a Sainsburys and shop among the people who don't say 'fockin'' (think 'fucking' in heavily accented mancunian) every other word.
Quote:
substituting as many words as we could for "ham"

Excellence. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:41 
SavyGamer

ComicalGnomes wrote:
Quote:
substituting as many words as we could for "ham"

Excelhamce. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:53 
Legendary Boogeyman

Hamcellence, surely? :hat:

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:01 
lazy eye patch

ComicalGnomes wrote:
Hamcellence, curely? :ham:

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:24 
SavyGamer

HAM wrote:
ComicalHams wrote:
Hamcellence, curely? :ham:

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:27 
That Rev Chap

I've been using Sainsbury's happily for a couple of months now.

Last order we had we got someone else's ice cream, but the driver noticed and called us up and we got refunded for our ice cream we didn't get and got to keep the stuff that was delivered. Fantastic. Can't complain about free ice cream.

Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2