Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1654 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:49 

Ah yeah; was looking at those pedals considered getting them - I'll see how the bike handles before I drop the cash for them.

Orange is a good colour; my colour scheme for riding and biking used to be black/red now I'm not fussed lol.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 13:12 
Esoteric

About 4.5 miles today. Not because I wanted to, but a few factors got in the way. Wind, it's windy AF in both directions which saps your legs, then just too many people on the cycle path (why do they choose to walk there rather than the actual path?) and heat. It's hot AF out there.

Then down to my local beach cafe for a coffee.

Whilst there I met this dear old lady from Selsey. Her husband died recently. We chatted for about an hour. TBH? I think it did us both good. She was a lovely old duck though, with some very interesting stories to tell :) But man, I think I finally met some one who likes to talk more than I do :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 13:19 

Talk more than you JC? I don't think so.

Sounds like you had a nice morning lovely pics, did you go for a little swim?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 13:23 
Esoteric

Kris wrote:
Talk more than you JC? I don't think so.

Sounds like you had a nice morning lovely pics, did you go for a little swim?

Sadly no. I couldn't leave the bike, plus I didn't have my wet shoes. Trust me, you don't want to walk this beach without something on your feet. I've had mine cut to bits before. I might go down for a swim in a bit, as I can go empty handed other than my door keys.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 13:27 

Could you've gotten ethel to watch it for you? :DD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 13:32 
Esoteric

Kris wrote:
Could you've gotten ethel to watch it for you? :DD

I got robbed by a sweet looking old lady on a motorised cart, and I didn't even see it coming....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 13:34 
ugvm'er at heart...

I enjoy reading your post on your bikes JC. I haven't the slightest clue what you are going on about most of the time though, but still, it's good to read :D

I was down your way on the seafront a couple of months back, as my grandad lives in Pagham.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 13:36 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Trooper wrote:
I enjoy reading your post on your bikes JC. I haven't the slightest clue what you are going on about most of the time though, but still, it's good to read :D

I was down your way on the seafront a couple of months back, as my grandad lives in Pagham.

:DD I am jealous of the sea view...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 13:56 
Esoteric

Trooper wrote:

I was there about a month ago. Weather was dire, so my friend and I decided to bail to the cafe..

This pic here is a holy site for BMX riders.

*long boring story coming*. OK so you will recognise that as Pagham. There ain't much else there (I live nextdoor in Aldwick). Any way, that whole area is owned by the Griggs family. Maria runs the cafe, Dino (her brother) owns and runs the arcade and Carlo? well Carlo is a bit special. Carlo Griggs was world champion vert rider for about 10 years. He's an absolute legend in BMX land. That second pic there is his old "bowl". He no longer rides as his kid is into go karting so he's all over Europe now, but I went down a met him a couple of years back. Nice people tbh. If you are down there again go into the Cafe and look for my old "ZOMB1" Ohio license plate. Maria collects them :)

This bike here.

The Proper BSH. Proper is Carlo's company. Hence this is my tribute build. Going to meet him up after summer when the racing ends and he's going to sign it for me :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 14:44 

It's good to know people ;)

Did you give the bowl a go?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 14:54 
Esoteric

Kris wrote:
It's good to know people ;)

Did you give the bowl a go?

Nah it's wrecked. He's not used it for about a decade. I have a distinct feeling he is very wealthy, because I noticed bungalows going up right next to it lol.

I think his family own all of the land in that area. Plus the added bonus of him being sponsored and having a company etc.

One thing you learn when you live close to the sea is it destroys anything you put in its path. I know it's lovely being here now, but in winter it's a complete nightmare. Everything gets wet, damp and salty (meaning all my bikes need to live inside 24/7) and the old sash windows on this property rattle in heavy wind and leak like a sieve. So it's always cold in here, even if you crank the heating to 24 (you're just pumping it out the windows) and so on. Three months it is paradise, then it turns into something else. That path I ride? gets swallowed by the beach pebbles and sand when you get into November. They don't clear it until May. I went out for a ride in April and hit a pebble on my GT (110 PSI) and it made this mad popping sound and I almost lost control lol. I slowed down after that.

I spent half of the winter taking shelter at my mother's, about 4 miles inland. It is like being in another world.

The lady I was chatting to said she had just moved into a retirement flat right on the beach in Selsey. She said during winter if it is bad enough the waves literally hit her windows.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 14:59 

That's a shame; I'd have loved to see some videos of you doing some flips JC.

I'm quite happy living where I do; close enough to walk/cycle into the city centre but far enough away that it's not loud or busy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 15:03 
Esoteric

Kris wrote:
That's a shame; I'd have loved to see some videos of you doing some flips JC.

I'm quite happy living where I do; close enough to walk/cycle into the city centre but far enough away that it's not loud or busy.

lmao the only flips I do are mental ones :D

I had a mate down from Manc just over a month ago. He lives like right in it, right in the hustle and bustle. He's a policeman too, deals with the groomers and child molesters etc. Any way, we couldn't be any more different. He is always out, always around loads of people and doing something. He would go nuts if he lived here. It's super quiet, your company is over 60 and once the summer ends it dies. I literally get a 5 mile path to myself.

I prefer it then :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 14:04 
Esoteric

Decided to take out my Carlo bike today. After weighing up all of my bikes and thinking about which one I could lose without being devastated (because I had two appointments and had to lock it up) I decide it is best to ride that. Man, it half killed me. I did about 2.5 miles standing on 25/9 gearing. It was like pedalling into sod all. I was going like the clappers and going nowhere. Plus I could feel muscles in my legs pulling to keep me upright. Am off round to a pal's house later, sod am I riding that lol. Will take my orange one. It doesn't really help that the Carlo bike is short, heavy, and on a stupid gearing. I would change the sprocket, but I don't want to bother now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 14:10 

JohnCoffey wrote:
Decided to take out my Carlo bike today. After weighing up all of my bikes and thinking about which one I could lose without being devastated (because I had two appointments and had to lock it up) I decide it is best to ride that. Man, it half killed me. I did about 2.5 miles standing on 25/9 gearing. It was like pedalling into sod all. I was going like the clappers and going nowhere. Plus I could feel muscles in my legs pulling to keep me upright. Am off round to a pal's house later, sod am I riding that lol. Will take my orange one. It doesn't really help that the Carlo bike is short, heavy, and on a stupid gearing. I would change the sprocket, but I don't want to bother now.

Better work out? Take the Carlo man you'll burn more calories.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 14:13 
Esoteric

Yeah it's like running. Very tiring, very quickly. I need to take a rest day tomorrow, my legs are shafted lol.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 14:34 

Get some gears :P

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 15:11 
Esoteric

KovacsC wrote:
Get some gears :P

Blasphemy ! :D

Honestly if I knew how to work on them and make them right every time they screw up I probably would.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 15:38 

Get a bike shop to set them, they should not screw up..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 16:58 
Esoteric

KovacsC wrote:
Get a bike shop to set them, they should not screw up..

I have owned two mountain bikes. A Marin Bear Valley that was close to falling to bits (mate gave it to me) and a Saracen. I rode the Saracen down a foot bridge, endo-ed and then went to ride away and the derailleur went into the back wheel and snapped the holder clean off the frame. It had been clicking and popping for weeks, but every time I took it back to Halfords (eye roll) they said it was fine.

That was the last bike I had with gears on. Well, apart from my leccy bike I had a few years back but you didn't need to change gear on that. Just put it in the highest gear, use the leccy to get you up there then pedal.

I don't mind the single gear tbh. I am not in a rush to get where I am going and there is no set time limit. It's purely riding for leisure and fitness. So the less to go wrong the better.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:00 

Saw a knobhead on a BMX this morning that made me think of you JC. (just cause of the bmx not the swerving or drinking)

He was swerving all over the place cycling in the middle of the road drinking a can of beer; good times.

My bike was despatched last night should arrive today before noon at the shop so should be able to go get it today or tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Kris wrote:
Saw a knobhead on a BMX this morning that made me think of you JC.

Poetry.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:49 
Hibernating Druid

:DD

:luv:

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:54 
sneering elitist

Kris hasn't always been known for his tact.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 13:02 
Esoteric

Kris wrote:
Saw a knobhead on a BMX this morning that made me think of you JC. (just cause of the bmx not the swerving or drinking)

He was swerving all over the place cycling in the middle of the road drinking a can of beer; good times.

My bike was despatched last night should arrive today before noon at the shop so should be able to go get it today or tomorrow.

:DD

Was he sitting down? :DD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 13:06 

He was, I just called him a dick.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:57 
Esoteric

Well I overdid it. lol. By Thursday evening I was just beat. I went out Thursday morning on the 20" and did about 2.5 miles riding round doing appointments etc. But I did it standing and the gearing was really low. Thursday evening I went over to a mate's house to watch the football* and have a steak etc. Had to ride there of course, so took my big bike. Ended up riding home at gone midnight and my legs were literally throbbing with pain hahaha. So I took a painkiller and went to bed. Decided not to do anything at all yesterday, as my legs were still hurting pretty bad. Much better this morning though, so will be out again tomorrow (gonna hop the train somewhere nice, then ride).

* he hates football and I talk him into watching it any way and we lose, FFS. Mind you, looking at the squad we put out I'm not surprised.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 15:39 
Esoteric

Do any of you guys or ladies run disc brakes? you couldn't get me the BCD, could you?

I am running a standard brake ATM, but the area where my fixed gear was looks awful like a disc brake mount to me.

Would save me ruining the brake edge with pads.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 18:11 
chewbacca -future arc welder

It is a international standard 6 bolt rotor mount. However you have no caliper mount on your frame :(

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:58 
Esoteric

krazywookie wrote:
It is a international standard 6 bolt rotor mount. However you have no caliper mount on your frame :(

That's easily fixed man.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/a2z-universal-d ... 4066957368

Ed. Sod it ordered that. Won't be around for a bit but something to play with when I get home :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 17:38 

You're right, it is easily fixed

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 19:52 

My cyclocross bike runs with disc brakes; had literally no issues with them at all.

Super easy to adjust and super sharp too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:39 
Esoteric

Kris wrote:
My cyclocross bike runs with disc brakes; had literally no issues with them at all.

Super easy to adjust and super sharp too.

Wicked. I have no idea how the calipers even work yet so it's going to be fun to learn :) I will go with something like this to start I think.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/clarks-cmd-11-m ... ake-rotor/

Well, if I can fit a 160mm disc on there. I might need to go 140, but haven't measured it all up or made carboard templates etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:00 

Just make sure you're expecting it when you brake for the first time we don't want you going over your bars and face planting.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:09 
Gogmagog

To complete the RTS, I need some magura hs33 brakes and a rock shox Judy. I might get a judy xc rather than the dh, so if anyone sees one, give me a shout.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:24 

Had a quick google @MaliA there's a bunch of them on eBay you might find one there.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:25 

Would it not be worth buying a bike with disc bakes?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:29 

JC already has the bike Kov; he's just modifying it with some fancy brakes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:37 

I'd recommend not using the Clarks brakes though. Get a Shimano, avid or trp caliper, worlds apart for mechanicals.
Shimano do a basic hydraulic that comes pre bled with lever, caliper, pads and cable for £50

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:54 

Kris wrote:

Fair enough, my next road bike will be getting disc brakes. I am not a fan of rim brakes at all

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:01 
Esoteric

krazywookie wrote:
I'd recommend not using the Clarks brakes though. Get a Shimano, avid or trp caliper, worlds apart for mechanicals.
Shimano do a basic hydraulic that comes pre bled with lever, caliper, pads and cable for £50

I was thinking about hydraulic but they only seem to come in black with black hoses. I am sure a mech brake will be fine, but will get something slightly better :) I have a TRP Donny Robinson Vbrake on my race BMX and it's lovely. Carbon lever, titanium bolts etc.

KovacsC wrote:
Kris wrote:

Fair enough, my next road bike will be getting disc brakes. I am not a fan of rim brakes at all

I don't mind them, but they do wreck your rim surface. I already have brake rub (black) on the front wheel. I have white pads on the rear, will switch those to the front when I fit the disc.

Kris wrote:
Just make sure you're expecting it when you brake for the first time we don't want you going over your bars and face planting.

I have a one mile test ride I take every time I have worked on a bike. So I will try it then haha. I have a feeling it will eat pads, because the wheels are heavy. However, that weight really starts to pay off when you get them moving on the sealed bearings.

Oh yeah, I got my carbon cranks today. Arms are practically spotless but the BB is knackered (rattles and grumbles) and it is not 135 BCD as he advertised it so the £25 ring I bought doesn't jeffing fit. He said he was flexible (it's quite late too tbh) so we will see.

I kinda knew I was going to have to swallow a new BB because anything less than perfect is not good enough. ISIS BBs have come down in price a lot so you can get a top end Kooka for about twenty quid. The ring though? yeah, am expecting some compo on that. I have opened it now and would feel bad returning it, given it was my fault.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:06 

I have had rim brakes for 3 years and my wheels are not wreaked. You are using pads for carbon wheels aren't you?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:09 
Esoteric

KovacsC wrote:
I have had rim brakes for 3 years and my wheels are not wreaked. You are using pads for carbon wheels aren't you?

Wheels are alu dude. They are powder coated :D

Carbon wheels are beautiful, but cost more than the bike.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:10 

Ok, the markings should just wipe off then..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:27 

I was going to say that it shouldn't eat the pads but you mentioned it being heavy; my bikes less than 10kg so it's light as balls so I couldn't comment.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:43 
Gogmagog

See below

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:43 
Gogmagog

Oh, back in the day, Shimano M system canti blocks were amazing for the one ride they lasted. I used Madison Aztec blocks for years which were about 80%as good as M but a lot longer lasting. Cornish mining slag made for high wear.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:47 
Esoteric

Kris wrote:
I was going to say that it shouldn't eat the pads but you mentioned it being heavy; my bikes less than 10kg so it's light as balls so I couldn't comment.

It weighs 12kg with the mags on. Without them it weighs *does LB to KG conversion* 8.6kg with the cro mo cranks on. It's a very light bike tbh. It would be, it cost a grand (New at RRP). Thing is I asked myself do I want it any lighter and the answer was no. It would feel too light, and I find that really unnerving. Always have. I bought the mags so that I don't have to continually keep taking it to have the wheels trued (terrible OCD for things like that) and with the only local bike shop being in Chi (Chichester) it's hideously expensive. He charged me £48 to lace a wheel (it did include spokes, but he charged me £30 for those, I could have gotten top end for less than £20). Mind you that being said the tolerances on this bike are so tight that a slight buckle would literally lock up the wheel.

We'll see. Apparently what I had (the wheels like) was very high end also, I just don't like them. But they're there (well, in the ex wife's wardrobe lmao) if I ever want to go skinny :D

OK so seller of cranks got back to me. He is going to pay the £25 for the chain ring cock up. However, he is not willing to give me anything for the BB as according to him once you get it in and tighten it up it miraculously stops making those noises :roll:

Having said all of that I knew I would buy a new BB set for it any way. Mostly because ISIS is difficult for me to extract (a regular crank puller works, but needs washers and it goes through 3 per extraction crushing them) and because I CBA doing all of that work only to have to pull the sodding thing off again.

There really isn't much I don't like about ISIS BBs, apart from the fact that you can't change the bearings. Well, not without a puller and a hydraulic press etc.

krazywookie wrote:
You're right, it is easily fixed

It's beautiful but tbh? I doubt it weighs much less than what I have. I have a carbon seat post here somewhere just like that one...

I will have to crack the vernier out on that.. I replaced it with this.

That reminds me, I must get me some of that carbon grease (well, it's more like little balls from what I read).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:59 

At 12kg or 8kg unless you're braking constantly and really hard, you definitely won't be eating through the pads too fast.

You going to try out the BBs before you replace?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:02 
Esoteric

Kris wrote:
At 12kg or 8kg unless you're braking constantly and really hard, you definitely won't be eating through the pads too fast.

You going to try out the BBs before you replace?

No it's absolutely toast. The spline rattles in the bearings now. I mean you think about how old these cranks are (at least four years) that's a long time to be on a BB. I have a brand new ISIS BB here (127mm, doh) and it is absolutely nothing like the POS he sold me.

Just the noise it is making alone is terrible. I kinda knew that though, which is why my offer was quite low (£60 delivered). New? the arms were over £300. They do need clear coating, and whilst I am at it I am going matt clear because I don't like shiny carbon. But yeah, other than some wear in the clear coat they were minty. Will cost me less than £100 all in fitted.

Reply to topic  [ 1654 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next