Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1654 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 13:48 
Unpossible!

I had a fixie when I was about 6. I nearly broke my fucking ankles :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 13:51 

https://www.cyclerepublic.com/bikes/fix ... -2015.html

Like this, for example, the shops just up the road from me it's only £180.

I've spent more than that on a night out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 14:08 
Excellent Painter

Mango bikes. Online only, pretty sweet ride and not expensive. The rear wheel is flippable so fix or free

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 15:13 
Esoteric

Oh my dear lord, they should make that illegal :D 9 miles ! with only one stop. Way out was all wind. I knew I was going fast though, because I got to the 3 mile point before I even started to feel anything. Coming back though? lol ! I had the wind neutral and had it up to top speed pretty much all of the way home. It was *awesome* weaving in and out of people and bikes flying along like the clappers :D I thought the gearing was going to be too high, but it more than makes up for that with the gearing to wheel size and then the weight of the bike. It's so light and nimble. I love it. I absolutely love it. Kid done grown up !

The tent is Butlins. I got back so quick I decided to just keep riding on to my little oasis I go to for coffee.

Find yourself a locked beach hut and sprawl out on the patio :D

Now if you don't mind I will just go and wring myself out. Dear lord I am sweating profusely.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 15:23 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Well done, good effort.

I could not have a bike without gears round here, way way too many hills.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 15:25 
Esoteric

KovacsC wrote:
Well done, good effort.

I could not have a bike without gears round here, way way too many hills.

Yeah for sure. Very flat here though. I wanted to ride on, but I found out today that the path ends and turns to beach stone path. I mulled over risking it, but with no tubes or pump with me I decided it safer to turn back. God, I could have rode on all day without the wind. It was funny, because on the way there every time I passed an object (like a cafe or a building) it would get really nice and warm. Then back into the cool wind, cold. Warm/cold/warm/cold lol.

I can't wait for them to finish the cycle path to Littlehampton.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 15:33 
Hibernating Druid

Nice pics JC.

Just noticed how close your rear wheel is to the frame!

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 15:38 
Esoteric

Zardoz wrote:
Nice pics JC.

Just noticed how close your rear wheel is to the frame!

lol yup. It is about 4mm each side in the chain stays too :o

The tolerances on these bikes is mind blowing tbh. Like the front brake, that literally jams onto the tyre until you cable it. Then when you do there's like 3mm of clearance all around it.

I guess that is what happened in the past 40 years haha.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 15:50 

Fantastic JC, to think you were telling me you couldn't do 9 miles. EZPZ mate.

Same time tomorrow yeah? :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 15:57 
Esoteric

Yeah will rest up and have some food, then get out there again tomorrow. Oh yeah another thing that was concerning me.. The pedals ! they're bloody tiny. I figured "just don't look" which worked. Second nature. I had my new helmet on. I tell you what, it makes a huge difference when you buy bikes and accessories ! during winter it all goes on sale for naff all. Snagged this helmet for £20.

Which is nice, because the one I had before was like a BMX German helmet and about three times heavier. Only issue is now my head is burning lol, so I need to get a hanky or something.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 16:22 

JohnCoffey wrote:
Yeah will rest up and have some food, then get out there again tomorrow. Oh yeah another thing that was concerning me.. The pedals ! they're bloody tiny. I figured "just don't look" which worked. Second nature. I had my new helmet on. I tell you what, it makes a huge difference when you buy bikes and accessories ! during winter it all goes on sale for naff all. Snagged this helmet for £20.

Which is nice, because the one I had before was like a BMX German helmet and about three times heavier. Only issue is now my head is burning lol, so I need to get a hanky or something.

Get a buff or a cycle cap. I wear them under mine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 0:34 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Fixies: I ride one every day, it has no freewheel (that would be a single speed) but the simplicity and basic nature of it means I can completely rely on it. Puncture proof tyres, hard as nails chain and sealed bearings. It's on an old Raleigh banana frame and I built it a couple years ago, never pumped up the tyres or lubricated it since. It's bomb proof, I love it.
It does have a front brake though, I rode it for a couple months brakeless but it was a bit too scary.

Try and use halo parts for the wheels and drive train, they do a decent skid tyre as well called the twin rail.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:56 

Cheers Wookie.

I went with one with a flip/flop hub so I can try out both single speed and Fixies; it'll be good to get cycling again.

Amusingly I said to the GF "I'm thinking of getting a new bike" and she was like Riiight... then she said "whatever you like my love" I replied with my order confirmation :DD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:04 
Esoteric

Kris wrote:
Cheers Wookie.

I went with one with a flip/flop hub so I can try out both single speed and Fixies; it'll be good to get cycling again.

Amusingly I said to the GF "I'm thinking of getting a new bike" and she was like Riiight... then she said "whatever you like my love" I replied with my order confirmation :DD

I think nearly all fixies come with a Flip Flop dude. My "stock" wheels did (which are now in the wardrobe lol). The mags did too so I took off the fixed. It kinda looked like a meat grinder just on there on its own. And knowing my luck something would have ended up in it :D

The only thing I do not like about the bike I got is the cranks. It is very, very odd that SE decided to go with a Euro BB and a BMX crank. 19mm cro mo spindle on whacking great cro mo arms. Maybe that was because it was a fixie and they take extreme pressure? IDK.

I was pottering around on Ebay last night after spending hours looking for something lighter. Being a BMXer with four bikes running 19mm cranks I know how heavy they are, and how light alu replacements are. Problem is it seems nearly everything has moved onto BB30 for single speed and that doesn't fit Euro. I found this in the end. Slapped a cheeky offer down, then sweated for a bit before going to sleep and when I woke up he had accepted my offer.

It's carbon. So one extreme to the other. Even comes with an ISIS BB (quite possibly the worst name ever for a BB lol) of which I have a brand new one, so I will be giving it a service (replacing bearings and threaded cups for new, bolts and caps for new etc).

Only problem was finding a chain ring. It's 135 BCD (bolt circle diameter) and they are all generally high 30s or low 50s. I wanted 46, and found one in black on Ebay. Oddly enough it has orange writing on.

I will use the existing chain bolts from the bike.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:12 

Just make sure you check those cranks for cracks and splits; carbon is the fucking worst when it gets a split or crack it's essentially useless (especially on the cranks they take a lot of pressure)

Which bike are you putting the new cranks on? The PK ripper?

I'm looking forward to mine arriving, definitely going to take a nice ride when it gets in.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:23 
Esoteric

Kris wrote:
Just make sure you check those cranks for cracks and splits; carbon is the fucking worst when it gets a split or crack it's essentially useless (especially on the cranks they take a lot of pressure)

Which bike are you putting the new cranks on? The PK ripper?

I'm looking forward to mine arriving, definitely going to take a nice ride when it gets in.

Yeah. There is absolutely no need at all to have a tubular cro mo crankset on anything other than a BMX IMO. And even then a race BMX will come with carbon/alu. It is only the "park" bikes that have cro mo tubular, because the strength needs to be crazy. Given the PK is a sit down bike it seems a bit pointless. Maybe they just had a look in their parts bin when they were designing it and said "Sod it, put BMX cranks on it". I suppose that's what you get for a BMX company huh? lol. I already crushed a carbon post so I will be careful. That said all of the anchor points on the cranks are alu, so I should be fine there.

This is my only "park" bike I have now. Well, and one in a box waiting to be restored.

And it needs cranks like that. That is my Proper BSH (or Brick Shit House) and it's exactly as the name suggests. But my race bike...

CNC alloy on ISIS BB (that's how I have a spare one that is too wide, but I can rip all of the other parts from it).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:30 

When they arrive you'll have to connect them up and let us have a look.

When do you think you'll be able to get out on your GT again?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:39 
Esoteric

Kris wrote:
When they arrive you'll have to connect them up and let us have a look.

When do you think you'll be able to get out on your GT again?

Soon. I have a pal either coming around here or I there pretty soon (Sunday, IIRC) so will get out for a complete workout. Let me say though, it's tough. You literally use every single muscle group you have. A guy on a forum I visit bought a "park" bike recently with grandiose visions of going out and riding it for miles and miles. He managed about two miles, then said he would rather do 40 on his city bike. I laughed at first, but yesterday after riding 9 sitting down I gotta say he has a point. I thought maybe I was getting too old, or had hip problems (if I do 6 miles on it I can't walk the next day) but I think it really does take that much out of you. I mean, you see these athletes doing a 2 minute race.. Certainly not 6 miles lol.

BTW any one looking for a cheap fixie sorta bike

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/se-b ... prod150670

That was going to be my second port of call if the PK Ripper fell through. It seems SE learned a few lessons in fixies after the PK Ripper one. They now come with alloy cranks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:00 

JohnCoffey wrote:

BTW anyone looking for a cheap fixie sorta bike

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/se-b ... prod150670

That was going to be my second port of call if the PK Ripper fell through. It seems SE learned a few lessons in fixies after the PK Ripper one. They now come with alloy cranks.

There's a fucking bottle opener on the seat haha!

Looks alright; I think one of the big differences that I'm gonna have to get used to is the weight of them. My current bike is ridiculously light so shifting it about is easy.

When it comes in it's gonna be nice was thinking of getting something like this as I have spds on my other bike it'd allow me to use either normal shoes or my spds.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... p-prod5937

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:14 
Esoteric

Funny you mention clipless because I bought a set of these about two weeks back.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nuke ... prod156617

And removed the clips and fitted spikes to the four holes. They're for the bike I am restoring. They're really nice. I think once you go sealed bearing there is no looking back tbh. Sealed bearing the everything !!

Yeah mine has a bottle opener too :D quite funny really. I doubt I will ever use it, but you never know :D IDK if you knew the history (warning, passion over other people's boredom) but the PK Ripper has been around for over 40 years.

It started in the late 70s when BMXes looked like this.

SE Racing (as they were known then) decided to make a BMX from alu (the first). It was called the DBIV

Then they went out looking for riders for their team. Perry Kramer signed up, by 1979 it was known as the PK Ripper.

And that is where it all began. Thing is, when you are 7 years old your mother doesn't understand why a bike costs £800. And even if she did, £800 was ten times more than a Raleigh Burner. So in the UK it was a very rare spectacle, and very much the bike of dreams.

I wanted one until I was 40. I still couldn't afford it so I got a "Ripper" (not PK) which was a cut down version. Then it got stolen, then I was given this by the insurance company.

The fixie I have is a DC shoes colab they did in 2009. They only made 1500 of those orange ones. So it was perfect. Just in absolutely every way. It's big, it's comfy and it's a PK Ripper. Can't possibly align the planets any better :D Plus it is day glo orange, and I've always had a thing for orange. Apparently shocking orange is the Aquarian's most go to colour.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:49 

Ah yeah; was looking at those pedals considered getting them - I'll see how the bike handles before I drop the cash for them.

Orange is a good colour; my colour scheme for riding and biking used to be black/red now I'm not fussed lol.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 13:12 
Esoteric

About 4.5 miles today. Not because I wanted to, but a few factors got in the way. Wind, it's windy AF in both directions which saps your legs, then just too many people on the cycle path (why do they choose to walk there rather than the actual path?) and heat. It's hot AF out there.

Then down to my local beach cafe for a coffee.

Whilst there I met this dear old lady from Selsey. Her husband died recently. We chatted for about an hour. TBH? I think it did us both good. She was a lovely old duck though, with some very interesting stories to tell :) But man, I think I finally met some one who likes to talk more than I do :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 13:19 

Talk more than you JC? I don't think so.

Sounds like you had a nice morning lovely pics, did you go for a little swim?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 13:23 
Esoteric

Kris wrote:
Talk more than you JC? I don't think so.

Sounds like you had a nice morning lovely pics, did you go for a little swim?

Sadly no. I couldn't leave the bike, plus I didn't have my wet shoes. Trust me, you don't want to walk this beach without something on your feet. I've had mine cut to bits before. I might go down for a swim in a bit, as I can go empty handed other than my door keys.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 13:27 

Could you've gotten ethel to watch it for you? :DD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 13:32 
Esoteric

Kris wrote:
Could you've gotten ethel to watch it for you? :DD

I got robbed by a sweet looking old lady on a motorised cart, and I didn't even see it coming....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 13:34 
ugvm'er at heart...

I enjoy reading your post on your bikes JC. I haven't the slightest clue what you are going on about most of the time though, but still, it's good to read :D

I was down your way on the seafront a couple of months back, as my grandad lives in Pagham.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 13:36 

Trooper wrote:
I enjoy reading your post on your bikes JC. I haven't the slightest clue what you are going on about most of the time though, but still, it's good to read :D

I was down your way on the seafront a couple of months back, as my grandad lives in Pagham.

:DD I am jealous of the sea view...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 13:56 
Esoteric

Trooper wrote:

I was there about a month ago. Weather was dire, so my friend and I decided to bail to the cafe..

This pic here is a holy site for BMX riders.

*long boring story coming*. OK so you will recognise that as Pagham. There ain't much else there (I live nextdoor in Aldwick). Any way, that whole area is owned by the Griggs family. Maria runs the cafe, Dino (her brother) owns and runs the arcade and Carlo? well Carlo is a bit special. Carlo Griggs was world champion vert rider for about 10 years. He's an absolute legend in BMX land. That second pic there is his old "bowl". He no longer rides as his kid is into go karting so he's all over Europe now, but I went down a met him a couple of years back. Nice people tbh. If you are down there again go into the Cafe and look for my old "ZOMB1" Ohio license plate. Maria collects them :)

This bike here.

The Proper BSH. Proper is Carlo's company. Hence this is my tribute build. Going to meet him up after summer when the racing ends and he's going to sign it for me :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 14:44 

It's good to know people ;)

Did you give the bowl a go?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 14:54 
Esoteric

Kris wrote:
It's good to know people ;)

Did you give the bowl a go?

Nah it's wrecked. He's not used it for about a decade. I have a distinct feeling he is very wealthy, because I noticed bungalows going up right next to it lol.

I think his family own all of the land in that area. Plus the added bonus of him being sponsored and having a company etc.

One thing you learn when you live close to the sea is it destroys anything you put in its path. I know it's lovely being here now, but in winter it's a complete nightmare. Everything gets wet, damp and salty (meaning all my bikes need to live inside 24/7) and the old sash windows on this property rattle in heavy wind and leak like a sieve. So it's always cold in here, even if you crank the heating to 24 (you're just pumping it out the windows) and so on. Three months it is paradise, then it turns into something else. That path I ride? gets swallowed by the beach pebbles and sand when you get into November. They don't clear it until May. I went out for a ride in April and hit a pebble on my GT (110 PSI) and it made this mad popping sound and I almost lost control lol. I slowed down after that.

I spent half of the winter taking shelter at my mother's, about 4 miles inland. It is like being in another world.

The lady I was chatting to said she had just moved into a retirement flat right on the beach in Selsey. She said during winter if it is bad enough the waves literally hit her windows.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 14:59 

That's a shame; I'd have loved to see some videos of you doing some flips JC.

I'm quite happy living where I do; close enough to walk/cycle into the city centre but far enough away that it's not loud or busy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 15:03 
Esoteric

Kris wrote:
That's a shame; I'd have loved to see some videos of you doing some flips JC.

I'm quite happy living where I do; close enough to walk/cycle into the city centre but far enough away that it's not loud or busy.

lmao the only flips I do are mental ones :D

I had a mate down from Manc just over a month ago. He lives like right in it, right in the hustle and bustle. He's a policeman too, deals with the groomers and child molesters etc. Any way, we couldn't be any more different. He is always out, always around loads of people and doing something. He would go nuts if he lived here. It's super quiet, your company is over 60 and once the summer ends it dies. I literally get a 5 mile path to myself.

I prefer it then :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 14:04 
Esoteric

Decided to take out my Carlo bike today. After weighing up all of my bikes and thinking about which one I could lose without being devastated (because I had two appointments and had to lock it up) I decide it is best to ride that. Man, it half killed me. I did about 2.5 miles standing on 25/9 gearing. It was like pedalling into sod all. I was going like the clappers and going nowhere. Plus I could feel muscles in my legs pulling to keep me upright. Am off round to a pal's house later, sod am I riding that lol. Will take my orange one. It doesn't really help that the Carlo bike is short, heavy, and on a stupid gearing. I would change the sprocket, but I don't want to bother now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 14:10 

JohnCoffey wrote:
Decided to take out my Carlo bike today. After weighing up all of my bikes and thinking about which one I could lose without being devastated (because I had two appointments and had to lock it up) I decide it is best to ride that. Man, it half killed me. I did about 2.5 miles standing on 25/9 gearing. It was like pedalling into sod all. I was going like the clappers and going nowhere. Plus I could feel muscles in my legs pulling to keep me upright. Am off round to a pal's house later, sod am I riding that lol. Will take my orange one. It doesn't really help that the Carlo bike is short, heavy, and on a stupid gearing. I would change the sprocket, but I don't want to bother now.

Better work out? Take the Carlo man you'll burn more calories.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 14:13 
Esoteric

Yeah it's like running. Very tiring, very quickly. I need to take a rest day tomorrow, my legs are shafted lol.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 14:34 

Get some gears :P

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 15:11 
Esoteric

KovacsC wrote:
Get some gears :P

Blasphemy ! :D

Honestly if I knew how to work on them and make them right every time they screw up I probably would.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 15:38 

Get a bike shop to set them, they should not screw up..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 16:58 
Esoteric

KovacsC wrote:
Get a bike shop to set them, they should not screw up..

I have owned two mountain bikes. A Marin Bear Valley that was close to falling to bits (mate gave it to me) and a Saracen. I rode the Saracen down a foot bridge, endo-ed and then went to ride away and the derailleur went into the back wheel and snapped the holder clean off the frame. It had been clicking and popping for weeks, but every time I took it back to Halfords (eye roll) they said it was fine.

That was the last bike I had with gears on. Well, apart from my leccy bike I had a few years back but you didn't need to change gear on that. Just put it in the highest gear, use the leccy to get you up there then pedal.

I don't mind the single gear tbh. I am not in a rush to get where I am going and there is no set time limit. It's purely riding for leisure and fitness. So the less to go wrong the better.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:00 

Saw a knobhead on a BMX this morning that made me think of you JC. (just cause of the bmx not the swerving or drinking)

He was swerving all over the place cycling in the middle of the road drinking a can of beer; good times.

My bike was despatched last night should arrive today before noon at the shop so should be able to go get it today or tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Kris wrote:
Saw a knobhead on a BMX this morning that made me think of you JC.

Poetry.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:49 
Hibernating Druid

:DD

:luv:

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:54 
sneering elitist

Kris hasn't always been known for his tact.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 13:02 
Esoteric

Kris wrote:
Saw a knobhead on a BMX this morning that made me think of you JC. (just cause of the bmx not the swerving or drinking)

He was swerving all over the place cycling in the middle of the road drinking a can of beer; good times.

My bike was despatched last night should arrive today before noon at the shop so should be able to go get it today or tomorrow.

:DD

Was he sitting down? :DD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 13:06 

He was, I just called him a dick.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:57 
Esoteric

Well I overdid it. lol. By Thursday evening I was just beat. I went out Thursday morning on the 20" and did about 2.5 miles riding round doing appointments etc. But I did it standing and the gearing was really low. Thursday evening I went over to a mate's house to watch the football* and have a steak etc. Had to ride there of course, so took my big bike. Ended up riding home at gone midnight and my legs were literally throbbing with pain hahaha. So I took a painkiller and went to bed. Decided not to do anything at all yesterday, as my legs were still hurting pretty bad. Much better this morning though, so will be out again tomorrow (gonna hop the train somewhere nice, then ride).

* he hates football and I talk him into watching it any way and we lose, FFS. Mind you, looking at the squad we put out I'm not surprised.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 15:39 
Esoteric

Do any of you guys or ladies run disc brakes? you couldn't get me the BCD, could you?

I am running a standard brake ATM, but the area where my fixed gear was looks awful like a disc brake mount to me.

Would save me ruining the brake edge with pads.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 18:11 
chewbacca -future arc welder

It is a international standard 6 bolt rotor mount. However you have no caliper mount on your frame :(

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:58 
Esoteric

krazywookie wrote:
It is a international standard 6 bolt rotor mount. However you have no caliper mount on your frame :(

That's easily fixed man.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/a2z-universal-d ... 4066957368

Ed. Sod it ordered that. Won't be around for a bit but something to play with when I get home :)

Reply to topic  [ 1654 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next