Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 1629 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 33  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:07 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 18849
Location: shropshire, uk
asfish wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
It gets better: It currently has a Child Seat on it, like this one...

Image

:metul:


Do you know the max weight\age that seat will work with? Thinking of getting a bike I can take my son out on.

Also anyone have a recommendation on balance bikes for kids? (3) was just looking at getting one from Tesco Direct as we have £200 worth of club card vouchers. But if there are better recommendations would be happy to look at them


Any balance bike will do. What i did with MiniKov was just take pedals off his bike.

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:08 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44164
Location: West Yorkshire
KovacsC wrote:
asfish wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
It gets better: It currently has a Child Seat on it, like this one...

Image

:metul:


Do you know the max weight\age that seat will work with? Thinking of getting a bike I can take my son out on.

Also anyone have a recommendation on balance bikes for kids? (3) was just looking at getting one from Tesco Direct as we have £200 worth of club card vouchers. But if there are better recommendations would be happy to look at them


Any balance bike will do. What i did with MiniKov was just take pedals off his bike.


I like this idea. Good man.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:31 
User avatar
Prince of Fops

Joined: 14th May, 2009
Posts: 2204
Bike seat: I have a Hamax Kiss and still take my daughter out on it. She's 5 in a couple of weeks.

Balance bike: don't get one of these. Mini Fop found it much too heavy to get on with.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:33 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44164
Location: West Yorkshire
I considered a balance bike but then realised that Randall is lazy so I would have to push her everywhere on it, and it's only work going downhill sio balls to that.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:40 
User avatar
Prince of Fops

Joined: 14th May, 2009
Posts: 2204
MaliA wrote:
I considered a balance bike but then realised that Randall is lazy so I would have to push her everywhere on it, and it's only work going downhill sio balls to that.


Same experience for me. Nothing more frustrating than shuffling down the street, stooping over a bored child so you can push them on their balance bike while they paddle like a half-drowned dog in a pond.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:46 
User avatar
Soopah red DS

Joined: 2nd Jun, 2008
Posts: 1983
If you want to go the other way, away from safety etc, come to Whitstable for lessons in how to take your little girl to school as she stands on the handlebars of your bike. Bloke here does it regularly - kind of amazing; her balance, his ability to hold on and the sheer insanity of the thing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:46 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 18849
Location: shropshire, uk
Findus Fop wrote:
MaliA wrote:
I considered a balance bike but then realised that Randall is lazy so I would have to push her everywhere on it, and it's only work going downhill sio balls to that.


Same experience for me. Nothing more frustrating than shuffling down the street, stooping over a bored child so you can push them on their balance bike while they paddle like a half-drowned dog in a pond.


I took Minikov to a tennis court at the park. he whizzed round

When bored, we left :)

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:49 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44164
Location: West Yorkshire
KovacsC wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
MaliA wrote:
I considered a balance bike but then realised that Randall is lazy so I would have to push her everywhere on it, and it's only work going downhill sio balls to that.


Same experience for me. Nothing more frustrating than shuffling down the street, stooping over a bored child so you can push them on their balance bike while they paddle like a half-drowned dog in a pond.


I took Minikov to a tennis court at the park. he whizzed round

When bored, we left :)


Dempsey sat on a paw patrol bike in Halfords and it fitted but she wasn't strong enough to turn pedals. She then detonated when we had to leave as I had ignored her advice of "Let's buy it!".

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:50 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44164
Location: West Yorkshire
Pick it up today! Woowoo

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:23 
Excellent Member

Joined: 5th Dec, 2010
Posts: 3353
This is what I was planning to get for him

http://www.tesco.com/direct/zycomotion- ... d=497-2811

It looks good and its one of the more expensive ones so thinking (maybe naively) that it will stand the knocks my son will give it.

Agree with the point that he might get board but hoping I can build some interest over Christmas as my Dad is coming over and he does anything granddad tells him

Bike is part of a general plan to get him doing a bit more including swimming, he loves water but gets pissed off when he can't move himself around.

Not sure if he is like other kids with his wiliness to get out and do things, but he can be really lazy with walking wanting me to carry him all the time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:34 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 18849
Location: shropshire, uk
I don't think it matters with a balance bike on the cost, very few moving parts.

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 14:32 
User avatar
sneering elitist

Joined: 25th May, 2014
Posts: 2105
Location: Broseley
asfish wrote:
Not sure if he is like other kids with his wiliness to get out and do things, but he can be really lazy with walking wanting me to carry him all the time.

Don't forget kids have much smaller legs and have to take more steps to cover the same distance as you, so get tired much quicker than adults.

Apologies if this sounds obvious/granny sucking eggs type thing, but I've seen parents try to transition from pushchairs on e.g. the school run and will literally go from child sitting one day to walking the next and then get cross at the kid because they can't walk to and from the school without wanting to be picked up.

_________________
i make websites


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:13 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44271
Location: The erogenous zone
Balance bikes are awesome. I'm sure they helped my kids make a quicker transition from having having stabilisers on pushbikes to going without them.

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:45 
Excellent Member

Joined: 5th Dec, 2010
Posts: 3353
Jem wrote:
asfish wrote:
Not sure if he is like other kids with his wiliness to get out and do things, but he can be really lazy with walking wanting me to carry him all the time.

Don't forget kids have much smaller legs and have to take more steps to cover the same distance as you, so get tired much quicker than adults.

Apologies if this sounds obvious/granny sucking eggs type thing, but I've seen parents try to transition from pushchairs on e.g. the school run and will literally go from child sitting one day to walking the next and then get cross at the kid because they can't walk to and from the school without wanting to be picked up.


I find with my son that if we meet my brother somewhere for a walk then he will happily walk for miles, if I take him to the park around the corner then he wants to be carried.

Also when we go to the supermarket I will park as far away as possible as its just habit now to get steps done, so he wants me to carry him until we get to the doors then he wriggles until I put him down and is off to the toy section bugging me to get him Thomas trains!

On the topic of swimming lessons we had a call back from somebody who does 1-1 at the local pool £20 for 30 mins :o


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:48 
Excellent Member

Joined: 5th Dec, 2010
Posts: 3353
Zardoz wrote:
Balance bikes are awesome. I'm sure they helped my kids make a quicker transition from having having stabilisers on pushbikes to going without them.


I have a mate who's boy is around the same age as mine, he said you should not put stabilisers on the bike when they move from a balance bike?

Also my brothers son is getting swimming lessons and he has been told no arm bands when he takes his son outside of the lessons, he gives him a blow up ring instead.

Still some way to go for both for my son!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:52 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44164
Location: West Yorkshire
I chuck Tubbs into a rubber ring and she'll bob abut a bit and do some kicking to swim a length or to eventually, then she just wants to jump in a lot. I think MrsA wil take Withnail and I to some place for swimmng lessons (£20 an hour)because I dunno how to properly do it, i just go as it is realtivly quiet for an hour or so.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:20 
Excellent Member

Joined: 5th Dec, 2010
Posts: 3353
MaliA wrote:
I chuck Tubbs into a rubber ring and she'll bob abut a bit and do some kicking to swim a length or to eventually, then she just wants to jump in a lot. I think MrsA wil take Withnail and I to some place for swimmng lessons (£20 an hour)because I dunno how to properly do it, i just go as it is realtivly quiet for an hour or so.


We can't use this swimming instructor as she only teaches when he is in nursery, so plan is to call another pool close by. No way I'm going to teach him as he will just want to piss around with me, but he will do what another adult tells him as long as I'm sat in the viewing area. He goes to a gym type class on a Thursday and parents have to sit in a viewing area, he always does as he is told in this class.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:24 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 18849
Location: shropshire, uk
asfish wrote:
Jem wrote:
asfish wrote:
Not sure if he is like other kids with his wiliness to get out and do things, but he can be really lazy with walking wanting me to carry him all the time.

Don't forget kids have much smaller legs and have to take more steps to cover the same distance as you, so get tired much quicker than adults.

Apologies if this sounds obvious/granny sucking eggs type thing, but I've seen parents try to transition from pushchairs on e.g. the school run and will literally go from child sitting one day to walking the next and then get cross at the kid because they can't walk to and from the school without wanting to be picked up.


I find with my son that if we meet my brother somewhere for a walk then he will happily walk for miles, if I take him to the park around the corner then he wants to be carried.

Also when we go to the supermarket I will park as far away as possible as its just habit now to get steps done, so he wants me to carry him until we get to the doors then he wriggles until I put him down and is off to the toy section bugging me to get him Thomas trains!

On the topic of swimming lessons we had a call back from somebody who does 1-1 at the local pool £20 for 30 mins :o



yes I pay £30 for 45mins for 1 2 1 for me

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:25 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44271
Location: The erogenous zone
asfish wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
Balance bikes are awesome. I'm sure they helped my kids make a quicker transition from having having stabilisers on pushbikes to going without them.


I have a mate who's boy is around the same age as mine, he said you should not put stabilisers on the bike when they move from a balance bike?

They weren't on for long, just long enough for them to get used to the whole peddling thing. If I remember correctly both my kids learnt how to ride without stabilisers at 4 years old.

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:26 
User avatar
gooby pls

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 12121
Location: Shrewsbury, UK
asfish wrote:
No way I'm going to teach him as he will just want to piss around with me

Just tell him it'll turn you purple.

_________________
Mostly pointless witterings of a fool. gazchap.com
Source Design - Graphic Design and Web Design Shropshire


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 17:03 
User avatar
chewbacca -future arc welder

Joined: 25th Oct, 2011
Posts: 1900
Location: Kashyyyk
For balance bike to pedals transition I recommend a bikybiky vest (on phone, you'll have to google it). About 4 hours with this and you can eBay it in my experience. It's good for getting them used to balance bikes too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 17:23 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44271
Location: The erogenous zone
Good for getting them used to the idea of being taken by eagles too.

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 18:11 
User avatar
chewbacca -future arc welder

Joined: 25th Oct, 2011
Posts: 1900
Location: Kashyyyk
Important, that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 20:02 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44164
Location: West Yorkshire
Number 6 if you don't include the tandem


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 21:04 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 18849
Location: shropshire, uk
MaliA wrote:
Number 6 if you don't include the tandem



I like that.

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 21:30 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44164
Location: West Yorkshire
KovacsC wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Number 6 if you don't include the tandem



I like that.


It looks quite smart. Once I strip the reflectors off and stick SPDs on it, it'll be better. It's 140mm travel, apparently.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:39 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 14842
Look at that saddle, be like sitting on a razor blade.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:48 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44164
Location: West Yorkshire
markg wrote:
Look at that saddle, be like sitting on a razor blade.


Shape of saddle makes them comfy, not padding.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:07 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 34174
markg wrote:
Look at that saddle, be like sitting on a razor blade.

Classic.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:16 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44271
Location: The erogenous zone
I were right about that saddle though.

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 13:52 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44164
Location: West Yorkshire
First ride out on it so I went for a noodle up to the top of Baildon Moor. It was wet and muddy, and the bike flatters me and my poor line choices. I stopped to fiddke with the seat far too often but soon will have it adjusted correctly. I really like it, and the 2*10 gears have a really good range.


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 21:34 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44164
Location: West Yorkshire
Went to Stainburn today for the second outing. Bloody loved it, the rear of the bike floats over stuff, and it's got loads of traction over the bumps. Still went "Nope nope nope" at the four foot high rock drop off thing (pictured) though. I found things so much easier than I had before, like the entrance chute into the red run where it is steep, rocky and rooty. I even began laughing over a rock garden inbetween berms. Bloody love it, grip here, speed there, and gearing good, too. Just need to sort the saddle, now.


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:17 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 34174
Who's Rover is that?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:21 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44164
Location: West Yorkshire
Rule 25 followed.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:25 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44164
Location: West Yorkshire
DavPaz wrote:
Who's Rover is that?


I saw the owner. He's devillishly handsome, and rogueishly charming​

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:51 
User avatar
chewbacca -future arc welder

Joined: 25th Oct, 2011
Posts: 1900
Location: Kashyyyk
MaliA wrote:
Rule 25 followed.

My current record stands at 18x


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:56 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44164
Location: West Yorkshire
krazywookie wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Rule 25 followed.

My current record stands at 18x


Crikey. Good work.

I want to change the shifters on the boardman, as the current SRAM ones aren't as comfortable as Shimano's Rapid Fire Plus ( they are like orginal rapid fire, using thumb for up and down), and I need to sort out seatpost and saddle, as it isn't right at all. I don't think I can legitimately argue for a dropper right now, though, at £300. I might stick some bar ends on it, though. And the clipless pedals, they are important.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:04 
User avatar
chewbacca -future arc welder

Joined: 25th Oct, 2011
Posts: 1900
Location: Kashyyyk
MaliA wrote:
krazywookie wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Rule 25 followed.

My current record stands at 18x


Crikey. Good work.

I want to change the shifters on the boardman, as the current SRAM ones aren't as comfortable as Shimano's Rapid Fire Plus ( they are like orginal rapid fire, using thumb for up and down), and I need to sort out seatpost and saddle, as it isn't right at all. I don't think I can legitimately argue for a dropper right now, though, at £300. I might stick some bar ends on it, though. And the clipless pedals, they are important.

Get a brand x or a tranzx roughly £140 fitted! You have stealth holes in the frame?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:11 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44164
Location: West Yorkshire
krazywookie wrote:
MaliA wrote:
krazywookie wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Rule 25 followed.

My current record stands at 18x


Crikey. Good work.

I want to change the shifters on the boardman, as the current SRAM ones aren't as comfortable as Shimano's Rapid Fire Plus ( they are like orginal rapid fire, using thumb for up and down), and I need to sort out seatpost and saddle, as it isn't right at all. I don't think I can legitimately argue for a dropper right now, though, at £300. I might stick some bar ends on it, though. And the clipless pedals, they are important.

Get a brand x or a tranzx roughly £140 fitted! You have stealth holes in the frame?


Oh, super, thank you. I shall have a look. And for frame holes, too.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 22:08 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44164
Location: West Yorkshire
MaliA wrote:
krazywookie wrote:
MaliA wrote:
krazywookie wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Rule 25 followed.

My current record stands at 18x


Crikey. Good work.

I want to change the shifters on the boardman, as the current SRAM ones aren't as comfortable as Shimano's Rapid Fire Plus ( they are like orginal rapid fire, using thumb for up and down), and I need to sort out seatpost and saddle, as it isn't right at all. I don't think I can legitimately argue for a dropper right now, though, at £300. I might stick some bar ends on it, though. And the clipless pedals, they are important.

Get a brand x or a tranzx roughly £140 fitted! You have stealth holes in the frame?


Oh, super, thank you. I shall have a look. And for frame holes, too.


Couldn't see any frame holes.Went Stainburn this morning, rode into a tree after locking rear and sliding. Oops. At some point a couple of front chainring teeth have been chipped off, too. Still love it, really need to fit SPDs.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:22 
User avatar
chewbacca -future arc welder

Joined: 25th Oct, 2011
Posts: 1900
Location: Kashyyyk
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
krazywookie wrote:
MaliA wrote:
krazywookie wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Rule 25 followed.

My current record stands at 18x


Crikey. Good work.

I want to change the shifters on the boardman, as the current SRAM ones aren't as comfortable as Shimano's Rapid Fire Plus ( they are like orginal rapid fire, using thumb for up and down), and I need to sort out seatpost and saddle, as it isn't right at all. I don't think I can legitimately argue for a dropper right now, though, at £300. I might stick some bar ends on it, though. And the clipless pedals, they are important.

Get a brand x or a tranzx roughly £140 fitted! You have stealth holes in the frame?


Oh, super, thank you. I shall have a look. And for frame holes, too.


Couldn't see any frame holes.Went Stainburn this morning, rode into a tree after locking rear and sliding. Oops. At some point a couple of front chainring teeth have been chipped off, too. Still love it, really need to fit SPDs.

Something like this then
https://www.stif.co.uk/mtb/product/ks-e ... Ar7N8P8HAQ

I really can't ride off​ road with SPDs. I ride with a group and the guys in SPDs fall off at least 100% more.
Got out on the Roady for a couple hours last night which did wonders for my mental state :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 14:45 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 18849
Location: shropshire, uk
Took my planet x out on a 43 mile ride yesterday. Loved it.

Cant walk properly today and the 1 hr recovery ride hurt.

I think i need a new saddle, if my distances are getting longer.

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 19:39 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44164
Location: West Yorkshire
First 'proper' ride today. On mile one I arrived here. Despite reading regularly about cars being pulled from the ford after being stuck, I rode through it anyway. And got stuck. Miles 1-16 were completed with wet feet. Aching quite a bit now, as it was a proper slog in places, due to my lack of match fitness.


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 19:44 
User avatar
Excellent Painter

Joined: 30th Apr, 2008
Posts: 6522
Location: Behind you
MaliA wrote:
First 'proper' ride today. On mile one I arrived here. Despite reading regularly about cars being pulled from the ford after being stuck, I rode through it anyway. And got stuck. Miles 1-16 were completed with wet feet. Aching quite a bit now, as it was a proper slog in places, due to my lack of match fitness.

Get yourself some sealskinz socks.

I've been out riding recently. Put new boots on the bike that have made it much easier to ride in an urban environment. Obviously the scenery isn't anywhere near as pretty, but the roads are so awful I suspect the ride wasn't anymore comfortable than yours, even though I'm riding and Orange Pro ;)

_________________
twitter || website
Malibu Stacy. Everybody's favourite back seat driver


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 19:47 
User avatar
Decapodian

Joined: 15th Oct, 2010
Posts: 3461
I was looking forward to a nice ride today, but have come down with a cold, so gave it a miss.
Off to watch the Redditch Tour event on Tuesday I think.
http://www.tourseries.co.uk/venues/redditch/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:37 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44164
Location: West Yorkshire
DBSnappa wrote:
MaliA wrote:
First 'proper' ride today. On mile one I arrived here. Despite reading regularly about cars being pulled from the ford after being stuck, I rode through it anyway. And got stuck. Miles 1-16 were completed with wet feet. Aching quite a bit now, as it was a proper slog in places, due to my lack of match fitness.

Get yourself some sealskinz socks.

I've been out riding recently. Put new boots on the bike that have made it much easier to ride in an urban environment. Obviously the scenery isn't anywhere near as pretty, but the roads are so awful I suspect the ride wasn't anymore comfortable than yours, even though I'm riding and Orange Pro ;)


Or use the bridge :)

I'd really like an Orange Pro, but Finance Controller might have other views on the matter. They are very popular around here. I met the Hope Technology guy, Woody, the other week. He was riding their new prototype enduro bike ("Probably around £7-8k, fully built"), and he was a really nice guy.

Yesterday's route is quite nice (Bingley and Harden Moor) , it gets all the climbing done at the start, and then it's mainly singletrack on the off road bits, linked by quiet roads. It follows the old pack horse trails that linked the mills. It'll keep you interested, and is a good route post work. Looking at strava, all the downhill off road bits were considerably quicker, which is the bike, not me.


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:03 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44164
Location: West Yorkshire
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
I was looking forward to a nice ride today, but have come down with a cold, so gave it a miss.
Off to watch the Redditch Tour event on Tuesday I think.
http://www.tourseries.co.uk/venues/redditch/


That looks excellent. Have I seen it on tv? I like criterium races, might take Hale to Otley races tbis year.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 15:41 
User avatar
Decapodian

Joined: 15th Oct, 2010
Posts: 3461
MaliA wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
I was looking forward to a nice ride today, but have come down with a cold, so gave it a miss.
Off to watch the Redditch Tour event on Tuesday I think.
http://www.tourseries.co.uk/venues/redditch/


That looks excellent. Have I seen it on tv? I like criterium races, might take Hale to Otley races tbis year.


It's shown on ITV 4, normally a few days later. It's a nice format for new spectators to watch as there's enough variety in the fitness of the field so there's always someone coming past after a few laps. The redditch circuit is easy enough to ride in person and the steep hill is enough of a challenge on tired legs.

A few years ago there was a short race for teams from local businesses to have a go at in the afternoon, but we found out too late to enter.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 16:58 
User avatar
Esoteric

Joined: 12th Dec, 2008
Posts: 10901
Location: On Mars as an anthropologist...
Some one stole my PK Ripper that my wife bought for me in parts :(

Image

I had it locked in the hallway but the guy in the flat above us came home really drunk and had a fist fight with his "mate". I was just listening to it but the woman in the top flat phoned the police, who came after the guy upstairs had gone and then left the door open :( so my '13 Ripper disappeared.

I phoned the insurance company who initially said they were not going to pay out because it was not locked "down" sorta thing and I burst into tears. They phoned me back a couple of hours later and said they would pay, yay !

So I decided to get another PK Ripper. As it happens it worked out well, because at the exact moment my bike was stolen the only Ripper available in the UK was the dog's balls version. A recreation of Mike Buff's 1980s bike.

Image

Sealed Skyways, Redline Flights etc.

Image

I changed a few things. Carbon post, Primo pedals and ODI Mushroom 2 ltd ed. Thing is, I never even rode it. It's still in the hallway awaiting final tweaks. What I wanted was a Quadangle like the one that was stolen from me in Brixton in '98. I got clonked over the head and it was gone. It looked a bit like this one.

Image

But was all red. I loved that bike as my grandfather bought me the F&F just before he passed away :(

So I decided to build another one in his honour. Started out by locating a frame and fork set from a 2007 (as it's Cro Mo so would hold my 18st ass)

Image

Arrived all the way from its spiritual home (CA) about a week later.

Image

And then over the space of three months I gradually bought all of the parts. Thanks to my wonderful wife and mother a chunk of it came as birthday presents and a bit of paint and powder and an awful lot of work later and, tadaaaa.

Image

Image

_________________
I reject your context and reality, and substitute my own.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 19:10 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 14842
John Coffey! Hope you're well, apart from some cunt stealing your bike.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 1629 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 33  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KovacsC, Majestic-12 [Bot], Pod People, Vogons and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.