Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1654 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mountain bikes
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 16:16 
UltraMod

Well, that was a cracking little ride. So, after leaving work, instead of heading south back to deepest Bulwell I headed north towards Mansfield. It was my intention to ride up there and back, followed by the six miles back home.

However, when I got to Mansfield I decided that I wanted to go a bit further, so I decided to head towards Sutton-in-Ashfield through a park area called Quarry Lane something or other. It was at this point that I nearly got run over by a tractor.

I got bored on the way to Sutton, so I changed direction at one point and decided to go to a little village called Rainworth (pronounced 'Rennurth' by t'locals). For those of you who don't know where this is - and I'm suspecting that's most of you - it is the other side of Mansfield to Sutton. However, halfway there I found a sign pointing towards 'National Cycle Network Route 6'. This sounded far too exciting an opportunity to pass up, so I followed it. Sadly, it wasn't that spectacular; just a massively long cycle path attached to the side of the A617. I rode up there a bit before turning right into Rainworth.

Once I got there, I felt a bit tired so I stopped at a petrol station and bought a bottle of water and a bar of chocolate. I sat where I had chained up my bike and refueled. A woman walking her dog went past and said, ''Ey up, me dook. Thar cudda fownd a better playess to 'ave a picnic' (Roughly translated: 'Hello there, young man. I believe you could have found a nicer place to have a picnic'), to which I told her that it wasn't a picnic; it was a Starbar. She didn't laugh.

At that point I'd cycled 12 miles, so I looked at my bike computer to work out how long it had taken me: 57 minutes. Not bad. My next plan was to cycle back through Rainworth, along to Mansfield and back down past Hucknall and home. This part of my journey wasn't particularly exciting. Partly because it was roads I'd already ridden on, but mainly I was knackered and couldn't be arsed in taking in any of the scenery. I did pass a Lambo Murcie and two Ferraris (although I suspect it was the same one as they were both the same light blue colour), though.

The best bit of the final few miles was racing a tractor (a different one to the one who nearly ran me over). He kept overtaking me going up the hills, but I then raced past him on the downhill stretches. He must have been going about 20mph, I reckon.

Halfway home I looked at my computer and thought it would be really odd if I managed to ride a whole marathon. Sadly, I fell agonisingly short; clocking up a total of 26.039 miles at an average of 12.9mph taking 2hrs00m36s. Add to that the 5.5 miles I cycled to work this morning, that means I've ridden a whopping (for me) 31.5 miles today.

I'm going to the gym in 45 minutes.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 16:20 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

myp wrote:
It was at this point that I nearly got run over by a tractor.

Not you too!

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 16:21 
UltraMod

I was going at about 12mph at this point though, not 120mph. ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 16:24 

myp wrote:
I was going at about 12mph at this point though, not 120mph. ;)

Pfft, I was going 50mph, max! Honestly — I seriously wasn't speeding. I'd have been a) dead and b) completely deserving if I'd been riding like a dick that day.

Anyway. Sounds like you had a nice ride. I need to build up my stamina so I can tackle something like that — I'm knackered after 5 miles at the moment if I go at a decent pace.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 16:31 
Chinny chin chin

Malabar Front wrote:
I'm knackered after 5 miles at the moment if I go at a decent pace.

Build up slowly and you won't notice it. Pace isn't as important as the time you spend exercising.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 16:32 
UltraMod

I definitely took it steady, as I wasn't sure how far I was going to go and didn't want to get stranded. Plus I didn't know where the fuck I was going, so didn't want to pelt it in case I came a cropper on a bumpy bit of road or missed a junction or something.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 16:34 

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Malabar Front wrote:
I'm knackered after 5 miles at the moment if I go at a decent pace.

Build up slowly and you won't notice it. Pace isn't as important as the time you spend exercising.

Will do.

I'm contemplating picking up another set of wheels and sticking some more-roadworthy tyres on them. I don't think riding on nobbly tyres on the road is particularly efficient, effective or wise.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 16:35 
Hibernating Druid

myp wrote:
Well, that was a cracking little ride. So, after leaving work, instead of heading south back into my deepest Bowel I headed north towards my Man friend. It was my intention to ride up to my nuts and back, followed by the six million dollar man.

However, when I got to my Man friend I decided that I wanted to go a bit further, so I decided to head towards the spleen through a gash in his pancreas something or other. It was at this point that I nearly came.

I got bored on the way to cumsville, so I changed direction at one point and decided to go to a little village called Rimmington (pronounced 'Rimmingtown' by t'locals). For those of you who don't know where this is - and I'm suspecting that's most of you - place your nose on the gooch and wiggle your tongue. However, halfway there I found a sign pointing towards 'The Spam Cannon'. This sounded far too exciting an opportunity to pass up, so I followed it. Sadly, it wasn't that spectacular; just a todger attached to the side of a hairy scrote. I rode on it a bit before turning right into a sidesaddle position.

Once I got there, I felt a bit tired so I stopped for a bit and and had a bottle of water and a bar of chocolate. I sat where I had chained up my ankles. A woman walking her dog went past and said, ''Ey up, me dook. Thar cudda fownd a better playess to 'ave a picnic' (Roughly translated: 'Hello there, young man. I believe you could have found a nicer place to have a picnic'), to which I told her that it wasn't a picnic; it was a fuckfest. She didn't laugh.

At that point I'd riden 12 miles of prong, so I looked at my computer to work out how long it had taken me: 57 minutes. Not bad. My next plan was to revert back to rimming my Man friend and listen to Mick Hucknall at home. This part of my sexual awakening wasn't particularly exciting. Partly because it was stuff I'd already ridden on, but mainly I was knackered and couldn't be arsed in taking in any of the doggers that were surrounding us. I did pass a Luvie Mincie and two Feltchers (although I suspect it was the same one as they were both the same light brown colour), though.

The best bit of the final few miles was racing a rentboy (a different one to the one who nearly teabagged me). He kept overtaking me going up the chuff, but I then raced past him on the down strokes. He must have been going about 20cph, I reckon.

Halfway home I looked at my computer and thought it would be really odd if I managed to ride a whole marathon length. Sadly, I fell agonisingly short; clocking up a total of 26,039 winkies at an average of 12.9cph taking 2hrs00m36s. Add to that the 5.5 hours I wanked before work this morning, that means I've ridden a whopping (for me) 31.5 miles of dick today.

I'm going to the hit the showers in 45 minutes.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 16:36 
Gogmagog

Have I mentioned my "take map, use highlighter pen on bridleways" method of finding an ever expanding loop with shortcuts to get you home if you are knackered plan yet? if not, it's fairly simple, take a map, highlight the bridleways on it, then from any given start point, work out a loop you can do keeping off the roads as much as possible. Then add a loop to that loop, and then another, and soon enough, you've got a massive amount of car free fun mileage to play with.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 16:37 

I love you, Zardoz :DD

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 16:38 
UltraMod

Zardoz, why are you allowed to be alive?

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 16:39 
baron of techno

Zardoz you've ruined everything.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:07 
Gogmagog

Price of frame has gone over what I wish to pay. Sticking with custom Kona for time being.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 23:14 
Chinny chin chin

27 miles today. Was restricted for time due to packing for the move. Annoyingly my hayfever kicked in so the second half of the ride was spent with eyes streaming combined with an easterly wind that made things hard work at times. Can't say I really enjoyed it.

As usual was overtaken by lots of people on poncy expensive bikes who can go faster than me. Still presumably I'm getting a better work-out.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 23:17 

Spuds are ace.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:28 
Gogmagog

Malabar Front wrote:
Spuds are ace.

Amen, Brother Front. which shoes do you have? I've got a cheap pair of Shimano ones.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:33 

MaliA wrote:
Malabar Front wrote:
Spuds are ace.

Amen, Brother Front. which shoes do you have? I've got a cheap pair of Shimano ones.

I just borrowed a pair to see if I liked them - Shimano somethings. I'm probably going to plump for some Sidi ones shortly.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:50 
Gogmagog

Malabar Front wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Malabar Front wrote:
Spuds are ace.

I just borrowed a pair to see if I liked them - Shimano somethings. I'm probably going to plump for some Sidi ones shortly.

Sweet. I'm just looking at my map to see if I can get to http://www.otmoor.co.uk/ there and back in a reasonable time. It's about 50km. Basically, it's a loop on a loop, IYSWIM. Tempted..

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:46 
Chinny chin chin

MaliA wrote:

Sweet. I'm just looking at my map to see if I can get to http://www.otmoor.co.uk/ there and back in a reasonable time. It's about 50km. Basically, it's a loop on a loop, IYSWIM. Tempted..

About 31 miles. I hate KM because it's used by people who like to show off by saying "oh yah, I did 50k yesterday" knowing full well that the general population don't understand KM as a unit of measurement. My old bike computer got stuck on KM which was the most annoying thing ever.

On my bike I tend to allow for an average of 10 Miles per hour on our local terrain with no wind.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:51 
Gogmagog

chinnyhill10 wrote:
MaliA wrote:

About 31 miles. I hate KM because it's used by people who like to show off by saying "oh yah, I did 50k yesterday" knowing full well that the general population don't understand KM as a unit of measurement. My old bike computer got stuck on KM which was the most annoying thing ever.

On my bike I tend to allow for an average of 10 Miles per hour on our local terrain with no wind.

i use KM, as i measure distance with a bit of string. Loop I'm about to do is only 37.5km (or 23 miles) so that'll do me for a bit. I've just weighed myself so am on a "shit, malia you used to be slim!" panic....

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:55 
Chinny chin chin

MaliA wrote:
I've just weighed myself so am on a "shit, malia you used to be slim!" panic....

Cycling on its own won't lose you weight. I know from experience! The extra muscle build compensates for any fat loss.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:08 
Gogmagog

chinnyhill10 wrote:
MaliA wrote:
I've just weighed myself so am on a "shit, malia you used to be slim!" panic....

Cycling on its own won't lose you weight. I know from experience! The extra muscle build compensates for any fat loss.

Ideally, I want an exercise regime that lets me drink 10 pints of lager a day, and keeps my weight constant. but it looks like riding a bike and a diet is the way forward.

Off we go then, got a litre of water and a banananananana, that should do it for fuel.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:38 

chinnyhill10 wrote:
MaliA wrote:
True, but you'll fit in smaller clothes and generally be slimmer.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:59 

I don't want to lose any weight - I'm happy hovering arond the 11.5-12st mark. I wouldn't mind getting rid of this slight potbelly, though, and substituting any fat for muscle.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 14:37 
Gogmagog

Well, 3 hours out on the bike, mostly off road on in the sun was nice. hit a wall with about 5 miles to go, but that only lasted 2 miles, and then had some energy left to make the final push back home. i took some photos, too. All in all, a decent scouting ride for a longer loop.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 16:01 

Did the 5.55 miles home just now — blazing heat and moderately up-hill all the way. Don't feel tired in the slightest, fortunately, but I very much need a shower.

Picked up a water bottle and cage, which were absolute life-savers in this weather, and picked up some new shoes:

They're a perfect fit, sexy as hell, and brilliant to ride in. No slip whatsoever, cool feet all the way, and no sores or aches. Fortune well spent.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 16:10 
Gogmagog

I really like them. I drank a litre of water on my way around today. I've got slightly pink arms but white gloves...

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 18:13 
Excellent Painter

Malabar Front wrote:
Did the 5.55 miles home just now — blazing heat and moderately up-hill all the way. Don't feel tired in the slightest, fortunately, but I very much need a shower.

Picked up a water bottle and cage, which were absolute life-savers in this weather, and picked up some new shoes:

They're a perfect fit, sexy as hell, and brilliant to ride in. No slip whatsoever, cool feet all the way, and no sores or aches. Fortune well spent.

Get a camelbak. I never go riding without mine topped up with water, some tools, a spare tube, pump and a spare chain - trust me, having had a chain go once is enough to make me carry one everywhere and replacing a tube on the go is much faster than repairing one - particularly in the summer on some of those MTB courses in Wales where you're likely to get eaten alive by midges if you stop for more than ten minutes.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Sear ... h=camelbak

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 18:31 
Chinny chin chin

DBSnappa wrote:
replacing a tube on the go is much faster than repairing one

Depends. I do carry a tube but I have some excellent instant repairs that save you the faff of getting the inner tube fitted again. I can't be doing with the old fashioned glue way of fixing punctures.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 18:43 

Camelbaks look great, but I wasn't aware they had backpack compartments. I guess that makes sense, else they'd be fairly pointless. Not very good for snowboarding, though - the guy I went with last time had one, and the water froze in the tubing.

I'll look into it, and I definitely need to pick up some spares and tools.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 19:19 
Gogmagog

In my experience, the spot patch (leeches, i think they were called) are shit. Spare tube and a CO2 canister is the way forward. And kevlar beaded tyres. The glue way is the best for when you get home. Saying that, I don't tend to carry tools or spares, I'm happy to walk back. I had a camelback, and I did Iike it, but I prefer a larger, frame mounted bottle, as I dislike wearing a rucksack.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 19:32 
Chinny chin chin

MaliA wrote:
In my experience, the spot patch (leeches, i think they were called) are shit. Spare tube and a CO2 canister is the way forward. And kevlar beaded tyres. The glue way is the best for when you get home. Saying that, I don't tend to carry tools or spares, I'm happy to walk back. I had a camelback, and I did Iike it, but I prefer a larger, frame mounted bottle, as I dislike wearing a rucksack.

The guys in the bike shop said they used the sticky patches themselves so perhaps things have changed? I think my new tyre has Kevlar in it somewhere.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 21:08 
Gogmagog

chinnyhill10 wrote:
MaliA wrote:

The guys in the bike shop said they used the sticky patches themselves so perhaps things have changed? I think my new tyre has Kevlar in it somewhere.

Sweet, I'll look into them then. Beaded tyres are so much easier to get on and off the rim. I'll add some photos in a few.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 21:11 
Chinny chin chin

MaliA wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Sweet, I'll look into them then. Beaded tyres are so much easier to get on and off the rim. I'll add some photos in a few.

One thing they did say is that the repairs don't last as long, they said allow for 2 years. But as they pointed out (and as I can testify) if you ride on a regular basis then you'll be lucky to have an innertube that lasts that time. I got through two last year, and I exploded another last week as I'm a cretin.

The weeks after the council do the yearly hedge trim are the worst as thorns go straight through the tyre.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 21:39 
Gogmagog

And here we are....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 23:27 
Excellent Painter

snip lots of pictures.

Get that saddle flat else you'll never breed

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 23:32 
Excellent Painter

chinnyhill10 wrote:
MaliA wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
MaliA wrote:

One thing they did say is that the repairs don't last as long, they said allow for 2 years. But as they pointed out (and as I can testify) if you ride on a regular basis then you'll be lucky to have an innertube that lasts that time. I got through two last year, and I exploded another last week as I'm a cretin.

The weeks after the council do the yearly hedge trim are the worst as thorns go straight through the tyre.

tubes go in threes I find! I've had pinch punctures on tubes where the side wall has been shredded due to rocky descents. In theory I tend to whip a punctured tube out with the idea that I'll repair it at home. I have both the sticky patches (which do work) and the glue and dry patches. In practice I usually just bin the tube and replace it with a new spare.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 23:32 
Chinny chin chin

DBSnappa wrote:
snip lots of pictures.

It's a young Roy Keane!

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 23:39 
Excellent Painter

chinnyhill10 wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:
snip lots of pictures.

It's a young Roy Keane!

If you add a big tache it could be a young Nigel Mansell I thought :D

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 23:53 
Chinny chin chin

DBSnappa wrote:
In practice I usually just bin the tube and replace it with a new spare.

For me it depends on the puncture or the amount of punctures in the existing tyre. I've had far more success with the instant repairs than the traditional ones though and they are a damn sight easier out on the road.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 23:54 
Chinny chin chin

DBSnappa wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:
snip lots of pictures.

It's a young Roy Keane!

If you add a big tache it could be a young Nigel Mansell I thought :D

As Your Sinclair once proved, you can do this to any photo:

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/showmag.cgi?mag=YourSinclair/Issue87/Pages/YourSinclair8700017.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:11 

MaliA wrote:
Can't you just undo the bolts holding them to the handlebar and swap them over, wit no need to remove hoses?

Turns out you were right. On closer inspection, the levers were universal, so I just swapped them over. No hassle whatsoever.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:12 
Gogmagog

Malabar Front wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Can't you just undo the bolts holding them to the handlebar and swap them over, wit no need to remove hoses?

Turns out you were right. On closer inspection, the levers were universal, so I just swapped them over. No hassle whatsoever.

Woo! and hoo!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:55 

Malabar Front wrote:
MaliA wrote:
So... you put them together wrong, then? ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:58 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Malabar Front wrote:
MaliA wrote:
So... you put them together wrong, then? ;)

It came part-assembled*, so no! :)

*the guys forgot to convert it from European setup to UK.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 13:00 

So.... Taiwanese kid put it together wrong? Seems more likely than your bike having backwards brakes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 13:01 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
So.... Taiwanese kid put it together wrong? Seems more likely than your bike having backwards brakes.

Lacist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 13:03 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

I think it was part-assembled in Germany at the Cube factory, then part-assembled in Ireland by the chainreactioncycles.com guys. I emailed the latter people, and they said they'd fucked up — I think someone is getting a bollocking for it, but meh, it wasn't a big deal after all.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:32 
Excellent Painter

It's an easy enough mistake to make. You might want to check your tyres are on the right way round as well ;-) Both things you could legitimately sue them for if they caused you to have an accident.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:39 
baron of techno

DBSnappa wrote:
Both things you could legitimately sue them for if they caused you to have an accident.

I dare say you could.. But that's not a good thing overall, is it?

Reply to topic  [ 1654 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 34  Next