Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Apple Macs
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:38 
Chinny chin chin

This is a thread for Apple Mac owners to discuss Apple Mac things inspired by the OSX 10.5.7 update.

Has everyone installed this yet? Against better advice I let the auto update do it. The big Mac Pro did the update fairly quickly and painlessly and all seems dandy.

The Macbook Pro took much longer and my only gripe was that afterwards some of the folders in my applications shortcut suddenly started all opening the same app when clicked on. However I fixed this by deleting the shortcut and recreating it.

Still the big one will be Snow Leopard which will finally let me properly unleash the power of the Mac Pro a year after I purchased it. Trouble is it's still an age away!

Post subject: Re: Apple Macs
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:50 

I've not installed it on any of the Macs yet, I shall try and get around to doing it today. Does the update contain much of interest?

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:06 

Funnily enough I fired up my age-old Powerbook G4 the other day and installed this to it... I'd totally forgotten just how much I like Mac OS X. It's seriously had me thinking buying a Mac Mini at some point.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:08 
Chinny chin chin

Mimi wrote:
I've not installed it on any of the Macs yet, I shall try and get around to doing it today. Does the update contain much of interest?

General fixes, and speed improvements for those with NVIDIA Graphics cards (and about time).

Received wisdom is to download the update from Apples website and not use the automatic update. However automatic update was fine for me. I think it depends on how much third party stuff is installed in your system.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:32 

I have an NVIDIA card on my MacBook Pro - might this fix that problem that some people have been having where the screen image breaks up as they scroll, I wonder?

I have downloaded the update from the apple site and installed it that was in the past, but then I have also been lazy and let the autoupdate do do its thing in the past, too, only because I am a lazy bean.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:04 
Chinny chin chin

El Reg reports that the update breaks 3D in VMware. Just as well I use Parallels then.

Wish I'd Xbenched it before installing the upgrade to see what the GPU performance increase was.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]