Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 357, 358, 359, 360, 361, 362, 363 ... 422  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 18:26 
Prince of Fops

Babadook!

Not seen it, but still, Babadook!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 18:28 
Hello Hello Hello

Findus Fop wrote:
Babadook!

Me and Vision have previously HAD WORDS about Babadook......

https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... 46#p879346

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 18:36 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Hearthly wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Babadook!

Me and Vision have previously HAD WORDS about Babadook......

https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... 46#p879346

Wow.. You have a better memory than me!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 18:38 
Excellent Member

Annabelle: Creation put the shits up me pretty effectively when I saw it in the cinema.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 18:44 

DBSnappa wrote:
I’ve heard good things about Hereditary

Probably from me / MrsDoc? It’s proper good. Maybe Toni Collette’s best ever performance, and I don’t say that lightly.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 20:39 
ugvm'er at heart...

Bird box was pretty good, dragged a bit in the middle, but well worth a watch.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:53 
Hello Hello Hello

Last night’s film was BLINDSPOTTING, I heard about it somewhere plus it was well received at Sundance and has a bit of a buzz about it, like a fully charged Rampant Rabbit.

It’s super sharp, with likeable characters, a cracklingly good script, great soundtrack, and a solid core of persuasive humanity.

Also, one of the lasses in it is well attractive and I totes fancied her loads so whenever she was on the screen I felt like a Mousse T song. (Jasmine Cephas Jones.)

Here’s the Rotten Tomatoes synopsis (93% critics, 86% audience). Anyway, just watch it unless you’re racist.

Quote:
Collin (Daveed Diggs) must make it through his final three days of probation for a chance at a new beginning. He and his troublemaking childhood best friend, Miles (Rafael Casal), work as movers, and when Collin witnesses a police shooting, the two men's friendship is tested as they grapple with identity and their changed realities in the rapidly-gentrifying neighborhood they grew up in. Longtime friends and collaborators, Daveed Diggs and Rafael Casal co-wrote and star in this timely and wildly entertaining story about friendship and the intersection of race and class set against the backdrop of Oakland. Bursting with energy, style, and humor, and infused with the spirit of rap, hip hop, and spoken word, Blindspotting, boldly directed by Carlos Lopez Estrada in his feature film debut, is a provocative hometown love letter that glistens with humanity.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:02 
Hello Hello Hello

Hearthly wrote:
I haven't seen A Quiet Place. I will watch it tonight and see how it compares.

Plleerrffft, PG-13 in the States, that doesn't bode well.

This did not go well, the one I got had French subtitles for the sign language, so I watched Blindspotting instead.

I'll have another try this evening.

Why don't NFO files seem to be a thing anymore? Pffft.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:33 
Comfortably Dumb

Hearthly wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
I haven't seen A Quiet Place. I will watch it tonight and see how it compares.

Plleerrffft, PG-13 in the States, that doesn't bode well.

This did not go well, the one I got had French subtitles for the sign language, so I watched Blindspotting instead.

I'll have another try this evening.

Why don't NFO files seem to be a thing anymore? Pffft.

If it helps, both Amazon and Google have the film available for £5.99 at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:06 
Hello Hello Hello

It is not included with my Prime subscription or Netflix subscription or BBC Licence Fee or Spotify Family Subscription or PS Plus subscription or XBox Live Gold subscription etc.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:07 
UltraMod

Do you watch a lot of films on Spotify then?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:09 
Hello Hello Hello

I haven't worked out how to get the pictures working yet but the soundtracks are pretty good.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:20 
ugvm'er at heart...

I feel like rewatching the "Life on Mars" series, but as far as I can tell, the only place it is available digitally is pirated...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:35 
Hello Hello Hello

Yeah they really need to get this shit sorted, the likes of Spotify and Apple Music prove it can be done.

I refuse to pay any more subscriptions to digital style services (be they film, telly, music, games, whatever), and TBH you're better off pirating anyway because you get to keep the film or programme, whereas shit disappears from Prime and Netflix all the time, so good luck with thinking 'Oh you know what, I fancy watching 'FILM X' again, I'll fire it up on Netflix because it was there six months ago....'

I honestly can't remember the last time I pirated a game, because the legal options are so good (Steam, GOG and Origin on PC, and then all the various console ecosystems).

Film and telly is a fucking bombsite though, and by all accounts it's going to get worse, not better.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:42 
Comfortably Dumb

I don't think it's as bad as all that, but could be improved. I just see Netflix and Amazon Prime as providing me something to watch - I don't see it as a long term place for my favourite films. My main gripe is with the purchasing of digital films. If older films were much cheaper, I'd happily build up a bit of a library on Google or Amazon, but one film I've been looking to get, Die Hard with a Vengeance is £9 everywhere, for a version that might not even have subtitles and certainly no extras.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:46 
Unpossible!

The version of Goonies on Google play was pan-and-scan 4:3, mono audio AND it was fucking censored.

And 2 weeks after I bought it, Goonies popped up on Netflix. Fucks sake

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:51 
Hello Hello Hello

Yeah I recall Natural Born Killers was on Netflix at one point, but it was the butchered 'R' rated version which was released as the 18 version here, despite it having existed in an Unrated cut forever, and the Unrated US cut being passed 18 by the BBFC without issue so the uncensored version has been available all along, but Netflix had the fucked version.

But guess what, the pirated copy on my NAS is the unrated cut. (And for the record, I have bought the 18 rated DVD as it was mistakenly sold as uncensored, but was actually the original fucked R rated version.)

So the pirated copy on my NAS is better than what Netflix had (which I was paying for), and the DVD (which I bought).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:54 
chewbacca -future arc welder

I own a Chevrolet spark so I've just popped into town to steal a Corvette. I know it's theft but I've bought one thing from Chevrolet and it wasn't very good so I reckon it's fair game.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:59 
Excellent Member

krazywookie wrote:
I own a Chevrolet spark so I've just popped into town to steal a Corvette. I know it's theft but I've bought one thing from Chevrolet and it wasn't very good so I reckon it's fair game.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:59 
Hello Hello Hello

krazywookie wrote:

Which would be fine if anyone was actually trying to make that case.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:01 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

What case are you trying to make, beside "censorship is Hitler"?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 17:32 
ugvm'er at heart...

Spidey verse were reet good, proper does stuff that can't be done live action. Good story, very funny, great voice acting, you can tell it's been made by someone who loves spider-man. Two thumbs up.
The only thing that annoyed me was the chromatic aberration business, as that was more distracting for me than immersive. I get what they were going for, but it just felt like the "camera" was out of focus rather than that i was watching a comic book.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 17:52 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Trooper wrote:
Spidey verse were reet good, proper does stuff that can't be done live action. Good story, very funny, great voice acting, you can tell it's been made by someone who loves spider-man. Two thumbs up.
The only thing that annoyed me was the chromatic aberration business, as that was more distracting for me than immersive. I get what they were going for, but it just felt like the "camera" was out of focus rather than that i was watching a comic book.

Me and the boy just watched that.

It was rather good.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:47 
Sleepyhead

Yer man from New Girl makes a great grown-up Spidey.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:52 
Hibernating Druid

Mary Poppins Returns is pap. Well, there were a couple of good bits but it tries to be something it could never be.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:57 
Unpossible!

Zardoz wrote:
Mary Poppins Returns is pap. Well, there were a couple of good bits but it tries to be something it could never be.

I enjoyed it, but I was too fucking long. And you could've easily cut half the songs and the film wouldn't have suffered

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 13:03 
Hibernating Druid

Yeah wen't into songs far too frequently.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 15:54 
Bad Girl

Is it just me or hasn’t there been the Big Christmas Blockbuster Film this year? No Lord of the Rings, No Bond, No Potter, No Star Wars etc. What’s up with that?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 15:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

"Potter" was a month or so ago.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 15:59 
Decapodian

There was a Fantastic Beasts that came out a month back.

Other than that, we've got Aquaman, Bumblebee and Mary Poppins.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 16:00 
Bad Girl

It hasn’t really got the buzz behind it though. It’s not really a Christmas blockbuster if it’s released a month ago.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 23:09 
Isn't that lovely?

MaliA wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Grim... wrote:
I didn't bother watching Ready Player One because most of you said it wasn't very good.

Most of you are wrong. It was lots of fun! A fucking Firefly class starship drops off a gundam, FFS!

I loved it. Not every film has to be worthy :)

We are the island of the right

Just watched this again (3rd time now). Does anyone else think the intro (as he goes down a stack to his rig in the junkyard) is a semi reference to the race home in Ferris Beuler's day off? Just me?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:07 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Hereditary

Outstanding supernatural horror, elevated by a well-paced script, great cinematography, and amazing performances by all the cast — but especially a never-better Toni Collete. Don’t do any reading if you want to see it. Go in blind. 5/5

I watched this last night, it's a fantastic horror film, I'm hard pushed to find any fault with it whatsoever.

As with any film dealing with the supernatural (I won't go into any more specifics than that), you've got to be prepared to accept what the film is selling. However I think Hereditary sells its pitch masterfully, and remains entirely coherent within its own world and logic.

Truly superb performances from the entire cast, in fact everything about it is supremely assured and confident in what it is. (I've seen an interview with Toni Collete where she says it was like the director had the entire film shot and edited in his head right from the start of filming, and knew exactly how he wanted every scene and shot to be crafted.)

Horror wise there's nothing massively gory or grisly, but some of it hits pretty hard, so perhaps not one for those of very sensitive dispositions.

905/1000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:43 
Hello Hello Hello

Last night's film was THE BANK JOB, starring Jason Statham as an ACTOR doing ACTING, and not as Jason Statham which is the role he usually plays.

TBH this is a film that would have completely passed me by (it's on Netflix) but a mate watched it and mentioned him and his missus had enjoyed it, I checked out the reviews, imdb, the director's filmography and what it's about and figured I'd give it a go.

And hey, you know what? It's really good!

The film is based on a true story, specifically that of the 1971 Baker Street Bank Robbery ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker_Street_robbery ), although quite a few fictional liberties are taken.

In essence, Statham is a former petty crook trying to go straight as a London car dealer, but he's struggling with debts to a local crimelord type person. An opportunity is presented to him to take on a job big enough to set him and his buddies up for life, so he puts together a team to plunder the vault of a specific bank (it's a tunnel into the vault style affair, not go in with guns and rob them), but it turns out there are all sorts of other forces at play, and specific things that specific people want out of the vault's safety deposit boxes, which are of interest in the highest echelons of the UK government, local crime kingpins, corrupt police and all sorts.

This is a very smartly put together film, it clips along at a fair old rate of knots, with a great script, cast, assured direction and an intriguing story told with aplomb.

Give yourself a surprising treat and spin this film up on Netflix.

885/1000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:13 

Went to see Bumblebee. I must say i was pleasantly surprised at how good it was, after the car crashes that have been the transformer films. It was crashy ans smashy as you would expect with robots fightung, but quite funny and heart warming. A solid 8/10

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 18:19 
Soopah red DS

I second that for Bumblebee. Went to see it because of the good reviews, rather than having that much interest in Transformers, and really enjoyed it. Nice job on the soundtrack, too, placing it right in the 80s, for those middle-aged-now feel-good vibes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 19:23 
Decapodian

Another vote for Bumblebee. It felt like a proper 80s movie, and not just cause of the setting. It's on a far smaller scale than the recent Transformers mess and was so much the better for it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:11 

Echoing Grim...s comments earlier in the thread, The Predator is absolutely terrible.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 14:57 
Unpossible!

I'm watching Teen Titans Go! To The Movies with the kids. It's laugh out loud funny in places. Chock full of references. Recommended

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 14:58 
Unpossible!

And, it's basically a musical.

Like The Blues Brothers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 15:07 
ugvm'er at heart...

Is it more or less of a musical than the new Les miserables adaption?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 15:12 
Unpossible!

Trooper wrote:
Is it more or less of a musical than the new Les miserables adaption?

No idea. I've been tricked into one Les Miserables, not happening again.

Nic Cage plays superman, though

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 23:26 
ugvm'er at heart...

How it ends on Netflix. What a load of shit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 0:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DavPaz wrote:
Nic Cage plays superman, though

And Will Arnett plays SLAAAAAAYYYYYYYDDDDDDDEEEEE.

And not Batman :S

I really liked it, too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 0:33 
Comfortably Dumb

Last night I was nosing around the Channel 5's My5 app and if you don't mind creating an account and sitting through ads, there are a few films on there. Last night, I rewatched Tower Block. Rather far-fetched, but an enjoyably bleak thriller with Sheridan Smith.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:51 
Can you dig it?

Aquaman was surprisingly good fun. I went in with low expectations but i enjoyed it. Although the effect on their faces while talking underwater was a bit offputting and there was a cringy speech near the end. One of the most fun superhero films I've seen for a while.

Ralph Breaks the Internet - not bad but really sorely lacking the charm of the first one and was a bit forgettable really. Perhaps tried to cram in a few too many references for netizens. As I heard someone say, I want to go to the movies to forget about the fucking internet for a few hours.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Sir Taxalot wrote:
As I heard someone say, I want to go to the movies to forget about the fucking internet for a few hours.

I'm curious about what they were expecting.

Did they really think he was going to break the Internet?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:58 
Can you dig it?

I don't know, didn't ask. I felt that the internet references were cool at first but then got a bit too much after a point (we get it, he's *in* the internet), maybe that's what they meant.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 0:12 

Just watched birdbox. That was really good.

I liked the idea of not being to see.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 0:34 
UltraMod

KovacsC wrote:
I liked the idea of not being to see.

Just close your eyes mate

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 357, 358, 359, 360, 361, 362, 363 ... 422  Next