Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 351, 352, 353, 354, 355, 356, 357 ... 422  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 13:47 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Cras wrote:
Well that's a stupid fucking question. You'd have a dinosaur.

Craster is right... in this case.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 13:48 

Cras wrote:

Only until your enemies SHOOT HER. SHOOOOOOT HER.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 14:37 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

GazChap wrote:
Cras wrote:

Only until your enemies SHOOT HER. SHOOOOOOT HER.

BUT there is a chance your enemies would get flanked and say "Clever girl" before getting chomped.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 15:36 
Bad Girl

Bloody hell, I forgot that Lindsey Lohan gets her tatties out.

Machete is good.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 16:19 
Excellent Member

Satsuma wrote:

Machete is good.

I might have read back at the time that it's a body double. I'm not going to Google to verify while I'm at work though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 16:28 
Sleepyhead

Bamba wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

Machete is good.

I might have read back at the time that it's a body double. I'm not going to Google to verify while I'm at work though.

Would seem odd for to to be a double, since she has disrobed in many other instances, but you never know.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 17:00 
Bad Girl

The internet appears to suggest you’re right. I’m not too fussed though. Tatties are tatties.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 17:02 
Excellent Member

Curiosity wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

Machete is good.

Would seem odd for to to be a double, since she has disrobed in many other instances, but you never know.

Bear in mind though that Machete was released in 2010 which might pre-date anything else.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 17:43 
Bad Girl

No hang on, there’s definitely a scene where you can see some pure Lohan nip. The scene earlier may be a double but that was nothing but LoNip.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 17:46 
Bad Girl

There. Look, there. I’m telling you, that’s a nip.

NSFW obv.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Attachment:
84570E8B-C508-427D-ABEF-343F4AAD2765.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 18:13 
ugvm'er at heart...

Doing god's work, satsuma

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 23:42 
Can you dig it?

Our kids have been watching Coraline quite a bit over the last week. I really enjoyed it and was quite taken by the unsettling atmosphere. Our eldest though is most amused by the fact there are some (puppet) boobs (partially sequin covered) on show during part of it. I'm not sure how much of the message behind the film he really gets but it doesn't really matter to me - they are enjoying it.

Also watched the new Jurassic World (er... the subtitle is fallen kingdom I think) and it was fun if a bit lightweight. Also, is it really important if the dinos get out? Humans are so good effective at hunting and killing things that it really wouldn't matter much would it? Those dumb dinos would get capped in days.

I do like Chris Pratt but I didn't really feel he was well used in this film. It was nice hearing the classic Jurassic Park theme in the end credit music.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:33 
SavyGamer

Get them watching Kubo and the two strings too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:57 
Gogmagog

Sir Taxalot wrote:
Our kids have been watching Coraline quite a bit over the last week. I really enjoyed it and was quite taken by the unsettling atmosphere. Our eldest though is most amused by the fact there are some (puppet) boobs (partially sequin covered) on show during part of it. I'm not sure how much of the message behind the film he really gets but it doesn't really matter to me - they are enjoying it.

The Big One has found my copy and expressed a desire to watch it. I think 4 is too young, maybe7 or 8. It is a brilliant film. The Watership Down Clock has moved back of late, due to good behaviour.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:22 
Can you dig it?

Ours are 6, 4, and 2 (rounded, roughly). The 4 year old is keenest, doesn’t seem bothered by the darker themes but she’s quite mature. The 2 year old doesn’t give a shit about anything, at all, so they’ve all seemed ok with it. YMMV, obviously.

I didn’t actually know much about the film before they saw it. I actually thought it was a ‘nicer’ kids film until I saw it myself.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:27 
Bad Girl

Venom: wot I thunk

Michelle Williams is an amazing talented actor. She was also Jen in Dawson’s Creek and I love her. She has some decent chemistry with Tom Hardy. She starts off as a woman with a good job and basically just a womanly woman. This is good. Then, for some reason, she’s shoved into a short plaid skirt and dressed like a sexualised school girl. It was unnecessary and I’d have preferred them keeping her as a proper woman. She’s too good for that. As the love interest she’s relegated to a bit part but she did an alright job. Also there’s a conflict between her and Tom, of course, when he causes a monumental breach of trust. It gets her sacked from her job and they refer to this as the reason she’s upset with Tom. But it isn’t: it was the breach of trust and I’d have preferred they hammer this home rather than “I lost my job cause of you”. That happened but it wasn’t the reason their relationship fell apart.

Tom has an MRI scan goes a bit nuts. The doctor starts to power down the MRI and rushes in to make sure Toms alright. The doctor is clearly seen WEARING A WATCH. His arm would have been ripped off for God’s sake. Well, maybe not, but he should have known better.

The CGI is bad and the action sequences are very, very bad. I thought it was as bad as a Transformers movie but my friend thought it was worse. Why so bad: 1) almost all the sequences are filmed outside at night. Venom is black and his antics can barely be seen. 2) Venom and the black goo aliens are basically formless and the fight sequences are just swirling CGI mass of goop filling the screen. It’s shit. 3) To make matters worse the camera uses handy cam things for some sequences and handy cams do not make for good action sequences. In the dark. With a formless black goo. 3) there’s an epilepsy inducing bike ride sequence filmed with handy cam in the dark where the only thing you can see are the headlights of the traffic spinning around the screen. I actually felt sick watching it which I’ve never experienced before.

What about the plot: usual boring stuff about aliens. And people were all weird about aliens when the earth had been ravaged by aliens in The Avengers and superheroes exist so why’s this a big deal? Turns out it’s not in the same universe as the rest of the marvel films but I didn’t know that at the time so I was all confused why Tom was taking the piss about aliens. Meh.

Tom is merely alright but his relationship with Venom turns out really funny. Half of the film is a bag of shit but then it’s surprisingly hilarious. It’s a shame that this is an origin story because had they gone straight into Venom stuff I reckon it could have been really good. But then again I didn’t know much about Venom... but then again, what’s so hard, it’s a guy who shares his body with an alien? That’s probably why the new Spider-Man worked cause we skip the introductions and just smash on with the funnies.

I walked away thinking “hey I kinda liked that” but that’s probably because the back half was funny Venom stuff but thinking back on what I saw as a package it was merely 5/10 and probably worse than that, but it could set up a really great sequel. But if they did that they’d need to do a couple of things: film during the day, sort out the CGI, film it properly not like Michael J Fox is holding the camera and just have loads of fun with Venom and how he interferes with Tom’s life rather than some baddie of the day. That’d be a great film - Tom trying to win back Jen from Dawson’s Creek rather than fighting some big baddie. That’d subvert expectations. Won’t happen.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:02 
Hello Hello Hello

Another vote for Deadpool 2 from me, I'd say it's as good as the first one, albeit no better.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 19:47 
Bad Girl

Tombstone is a funny old film. Kurt Russell is great, Val Kilmer is great and RIP Bill Paxton is great. Loads of people are great in it. Plus basically the protagonists go on a murderous rampage and just slaughter tens of men in cold blood. It’s kinda brutal.

But the thing that bothers me most is the relationship between Kurt Russell and his wife. He basically makes gooey eyes at some other tramp about twice during the film but doesn’t do anything about it. He bundles his wife off on train just before the murder rampage so she doesn’t get killed but then we don’t hear anything about her after that. Instead the film weirdly ends with Kurt hooking up with this tramp at Christmas. Fade to black. It’s just a fucking stupid ending to what was otherwise a great western.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 21:07 

Just watched Land of Mine on Amazon Prime.

It's about very young German POWs forced to clear landmines in post-war Denmark, and is about as jolly as it sounds. Very well-shot and paced, and, as you can imagine, very harrowing. Not too graphic, but that makes it even more powerful.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 22:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Satsuma wrote:
I watched Free Fire. It's exec produced by Scorsese, so you know I gots to see what that's about.

The whole film is set in a shoot out between some peeps and stars that South African guy from District 9 and some other folk with familiar faces but names I don't know. It's good but isn't really saying much.

Conclusion: fun but disposable. Check it out.

Disposable Me out of 10.

I thought it was a bit crap.

There was a lot of crawling.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:02 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
There was a lot of crawling.

It would be a significantly shorter film if they didn't.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 19:50 
Bad Girl

The Spy Who Dumped Me is fucking awful. Kate McKinnon is terrible and, if you didn’t already know, is not funny at all. So it’s worst than dogshit but the weird thing is that the action sequences are really good. This one fight in a restaurant is just groovy, this car chase is pretty great and so on. Everything else shit. Honestly though, the script is fucking wank but it might have been salvaged by better actors in the main roles. I’ve got a feeling that they let Kate Unfunny McKinnon have too much creative control. I absolutely love Mila Kunis and I’m sure she’s a lovely person but her movie career is on the same trajectory as Jessica Alba.

3/10 for the absolutely great action sequences -2 for Kate McKinnon ruining everything she touches so 1/10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 20:21 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I really like Kate McKinnon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 20:23 

Cras wrote:

And I really dislike Sat’s opinions about movies and TV shows!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 20:26 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Cras wrote:

And I really dislike Sat’s opinions about movies and TV shows!

I agree with you both!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 20:56 
Excellent Member

It's weird, it's like there always *has* to be someone on the forum to fill the position of "the one that's wrong about everything". Like I'm sure Sat used to have normal opinions, then Nirejhenge stopped coming around and here we are. I bet if Mr Chris posted more Sat would drift back to normal again.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 21:30 

Bamba wrote:
It's weird, it's like there always *has* to be someone on the forum to fill the position of "the one that's wrong about everything".

There’s always a wrong ‘un. Look around. If you don’t see the wrong ‘un, I got bad news for you.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 21:50 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Bamba wrote:
It's weird, it's like there always *has* to be someone on the forum to fill the position of "the one that's wrong about everything".

There’s always a wrong ‘un. Look around. If you don’t see the wrong ‘un, I got bad news for you.

When I look around everyone *but* me is the wrong'un. I'm sure that doesn't mean anything.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 13:45 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Satsuma wrote:
Venom: wot I thunk

Michelle Williams is an amazing talented actor. She was also Jen in Dawson’s Creek and I love her. She has some decent chemistry with Tom Hardy. She starts off as a woman with a good job and basically just a womanly woman. This is good. Then, for some reason, she’s shoved into a short plaid skirt and dressed like a sexualised school girl. It was unnecessary and I’d have preferred them keeping her as a proper woman. She’s too good for that. As the love interest she’s relegated to a bit part but she did an alright job. Also there’s a conflict between her and Tom, of course, when he causes a monumental breach of trust. It gets her sacked from her job and they refer to this as the reason she’s upset with Tom. But it isn’t: it was the breach of trust and I’d have preferred they hammer this home rather than “I lost my job cause of you”. That happened but it wasn’t the reason their relationship fell apart.

Tom has an MRI scan goes a bit nuts. The doctor starts to power down the MRI and rushes in to make sure Toms alright. The doctor is clearly seen WEARING A WATCH. His arm would have been ripped off for God’s sake. Well, maybe not, but he should have known better.

The CGI is bad and the action sequences are very, very bad. I thought it was as bad as a Transformers movie but my friend thought it was worse. Why so bad: 1) almost all the sequences are filmed outside at night. Venom is black and his antics can barely be seen. 2) Venom and the black goo aliens are basically formless and the fight sequences are just swirling CGI mass of goop filling the screen. It’s shit. 3) To make matters worse the camera uses handy cam things for some sequences and handy cams do not make for good action sequences. In the dark. With a formless black goo. 3) there’s an epilepsy inducing bike ride sequence filmed with handy cam in the dark where the only thing you can see are the headlights of the traffic spinning around the screen. I actually felt sick watching it which I’ve never experienced before.

What about the plot: usual boring stuff about aliens. And people were all weird about aliens when the earth had been ravaged by aliens in The Avengers and superheroes exist so why’s this a big deal? Turns out it’s not in the same universe as the rest of the marvel films but I didn’t know that at the time so I was all confused why Tom was taking the piss about aliens. Meh.

Tom is merely alright but his relationship with Venom turns out really funny. Half of the film is a bag of shit but then it’s surprisingly hilarious. It’s a shame that this is an origin story because had they gone straight into Venom stuff I reckon it could have been really good. But then again I didn’t know much about Venom... but then again, what’s so hard, it’s a guy who shares his body with an alien? That’s probably why the new Spider-Man worked cause we skip the introductions and just smash on with the funnies.

I walked away thinking “hey I kinda liked that” but that’s probably because the back half was funny Venom stuff but thinking back on what I saw as a package it was merely 5/10 and probably worse than that, but it could set up a really great sequel. But if they did that they’d need to do a couple of things: film during the day, sort out the CGI, film it properly not like Michael J Fox is holding the camera and just have loads of fun with Venom and how he interferes with Tom’s life rather than some baddie of the day. That’d be a great film - Tom trying to win back Jen from Dawson’s Creek rather than fighting some big baddie. That’d subvert expectations. Won’t happen.

Went to see this last night, I think i disagree with some the above comments. It was laugh out loud funny in places, mainly the internal Brock/Venom arguments. MrsKov really enjoyed it too

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 15:01 
UltraMod

Another person disagreeing with Sat? I don't believe it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 15:04 
Bad Girl

Meh. I have my reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 15:32 
INFINITE POWAH

How young is too young to get your kids watching the best musical ever*?

*Blues Brothers, not Frozen.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 15:51 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Blues Brothers contains a lot of swearing, and you might have to do some explaining about the Illinois Nazis, but other than that it should be fine.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 15:54 
Isn't that lovely?

I watched it when I was 12 or 13, I think that's a pretty good age to watch it. I think I let my youngest watch it at aged 10, and was cringing a bit at how much swearing there was in there. and Grim...'s right, explaining some of it was tricky.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 15:55 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:
Blues Brothers contains a lot of swearing, and you might have to do some explaining about the Illinois Nazis, but other than that it should be fine.

I don't remember that much swearing... to be fair I don't think i've ever watcher it sober. :)

The nazi bit they'd understand and get though.

Swearing-wise, we've been listening to the audiobook version of the Book of Dust by Philip Pullman and Jesus fucking christ it's sweary. It'd be an 18 as a film.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 19:27 
Gogmagog

Prometheus was terrible. It was pretty good right up tp the point where they encountered the thing and then it went downhill faster than Missy Giove.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 21:29 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

MaliA wrote:
Prometheus was terrible. It was pretty good right up tp the point where they encountered the thing and then it went downhill faster than Missy Giove.

No, it went bad about 5 years before the film when somebody wrote the colony ship procedure handbook.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 22:29 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hey, Prometheus did launch five years before they got into trouble, in 2088.

Solid Alien lore, Cras!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 22:30 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Although I suspect you're thinking of Covenant.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 22:37 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I mean, I am, but let's not get that in the way of praising me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 23:50 
Prince of Fops

MaliA wrote:

Good for kids though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:07 
SavyGamer

A shame about Covenant. I think it could have been a decent sci fi movie, but it was held back a lot by being both a Prometheus sequel and an Alien movie.

The core theme was interesting (a conflict between two AI characters, one loyal to the creators and one not), but it was bogged down By a bunch of irrelevant stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 22:33 
UltraMod

Sad I won't get the 90 mins spent watching the Similars back again.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 22:51 

Tonight we watched Halloween (1978.) Holds up pretty well.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 23:06 
Prince of Fops

Lonewolves wrote:

I heard good things but haven't watched yet as imagined it would be a tough watch. Just no good?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 23:18 
UltraMod

Findus Fop wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

I heard good things but haven't watched yet as imagined it would be a tough watch. Just no good?

It's not a tough watch at all. It has a good premise and the first 30 mins is pretty good, but it doesn't really go anywhere and the ending is rubbish.

Also it commits the cardinal sin of horror—it just isn't scary.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 13:41 
INFINITE POWAH

Having rewatched them both several times, Covenant and Prometheus have really grown on me, notwithstanding the obvious inconsistencies they have created twixt themselves and the Alien(s) films.

I've wanted to rewatch AVP and AVP2 (god that film's unnecessarily brutal, in a good way), and Predators, but I got rid of my DVDs of them when I thinned the collection before emigrating ... I'm oldschool and haven't backed up any DVDs... :-/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 14:09 
Bad Girl

Ocean’s 8 has an all female cast of lovelies who can act. It’s not a bad film by any stretch of the imagination but the heist story has worn thin over so many films and it fails to be a compelling watch. There are some decent performances but I just found myself terribly bored, especially during the middle.

I’d say 5/10.

James Corden is in it.

So 3/10.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 16:30 

Ocean's 11-13 worked really well because the ensemble cast clearly had great chemistry with each other, and as a result it was thoroughly entertaining (12 less so, obvs)

Ocean's 8... they just don't gel in the same way.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:56 
Sleepyhead

I liked Venom. Didn’t find the CGI or action hard to follow other than in the last fight where it went a bit OTT.

Agree with Sat that Michelle Williams is ace, and her outfit choice was stupid.

It started very slowly, but once Venom was actually there it was ace. The best bits, as everyone said, were the conversations between Eddie Brock and Venom.

Would definitely watch a sequel.

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 351, 352, 353, 354, 355, 356, 357 ... 422  Next