Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 344, 345, 346, 347, 348, 349, 350 ... 423  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 20:48 
Bad Girl

Pffft. Not even Mean Girls in that Top 5? Be ashamed of yourself.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 20:50 
ugvm'er at heart...

DavPaz wrote:
Wreck It Ralph may just be the perfect film. Loads of story without feeling rushed or bloated. Fleshed out, complex characters that grow and develop throughout the story. Great visuals, kicking soundtrack and just the right amount of humour. There's even a romantic sub plot that feels natural, for goodness sake!

Perfect. Fight me.

Great game references, really enjoyed first half hour, next hour is about a completely made up game for the film. Was disappointment.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 21:07 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The Incredibles and Kung Fu Panda constantly fight for "best CGI film" in my brain.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 21:07 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Well, not constantly.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 21:14 
Unpossible!

Kung Fu Panda 3 remains the most visually stunning movie I've ever seen. I saw it in 3d and in parts my jaw literally dropped

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 21:22 
Bad Girl

I’m about 40 minutes into the new Tomb Raider and my phone has been out for about 30 minutes. It’s a load of trite cliched shit.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 21:56 
Excellent Member

Satsuma wrote:
I’m about 40 minutes into the new Tomb Raider and my phone has been out for about 30 minutes. It’s a load of trite cliched shit.

It's not great for sure. I did manage to enjoy it but yeah, literally every part of its been done before and much better.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 22:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
I did manage to enjoy it but yeah, literally every part of its been done before and much better.

Title

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 23:00 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:
I did manage to enjoy it but yeah, literally every part of its been done before and much better.

Title

I genuinely laughed out loud in actual real life at this. Congratulations.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 23:12 
Bad Girl

Satsuma wrote:

I couldn’t even finish it to see whether Walton Goggins was a decent villain. What a load of old shit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:40 
Hello Hello Hello

I watched OUT OF SIGHT last night, I have never seen it before even though it is quite old (1998).

It is directed by Steven Sodabread and has George Clooney, Ving Rhames and Jennifer Lopez in it.

I guess if you were giving it a genre you'd say it's a sort of crime-caper action film with some comedy and romance and suspense.

It's all very well done with a nice Sodabread slickness and efficiency, and it's beautifully shot, there's nothing about the film you could really criticise for being done 'wrong', but even so I wasn't blown away by it.

If you're after some very competent but ultimately lightweight fun, you could do a lot worse.

770/1000

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:02 

We watched the new version of Stephen Kings 'IT' last night.

I've not seen the original mini-series and all I knew about the film was that it was about a scary clown.

It seems like the film carried the story across really well; all the characters were portrayed excellently and I understood the plot throughout.

I'd love to hear from one of you lot if the film matches up to the book and original series well?

Edit: I was attempting to put a funny rating of "balloon out of 10" but apparently the board doesn't want me to post a balloon emoji.

I've also read the word balloon too many times and it doesn't seem like a real word.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:40 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The first half of the mini-series is excellent (and covers the same period as the film).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:41 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
The first half of the mini-series is excellent (and covers the same period as the film).

The second half... not so much

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:45 

All I could think when they were all cutting their hands and holding bloody hands was "well that's just unsanitary"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:48 
Unpossible!

Kris wrote:
All I could think when they were all cutting their hands and holding bloody hands was "well that's just unsanitary"

They do worse in the book. Penetration worse. Bom chicka wa wa. Intercourse, I'm talking about intercourse.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:50 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Kris wrote:

Okay, you really shouldn't read the book.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:50 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

o/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:52 

So they have a weird gangbang?

Maybe I SHOULD read the book... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:54 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
o/

\O

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:59 

I googled it; nice.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:03 
Unpossible!

Kris wrote:
I googled it; nice.

It's deliberately awkward and gross as the kids are all supposed to be no older than 12 or 13

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:04 
Excellent Painter

Hearthly wrote:
I watched OUT OF SIGHT last night, I have never seen it before even though it is quite old (1998).

It is directed by Steven Sodabread and has George Clooney, Ving Rhames and Jennifer Lopez in it.

I guess if you were giving it a genre you'd say it's a sort of crime-caper action film with some comedy and romance and suspense.

It's all very well done with a nice Sodabread slickness and efficiency, and it's beautifully shot, there's nothing about the film you could really criticise for being done 'wrong', but even so I wasn't blown away by it.

If you're after some very competent but ultimately lightweight fun, you could do a lot worse.

770/1000

Out Of Sight is brilliant. Like you I wasn’t blown away on first viewing, but watch it again. Everything about it is brilliant. The cinematography, the acting, the script and the soundtrack.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:42 
Bad Girl

Im calling it right now: this is going to be fucking dreadful.

Ultimate Predator my arse, it’ll be like the human/alien hybrid and make me audibly groan out loud.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:11 
SavyGamer

Yeah I'm not getting my hopes up.

I really like Shane Black, so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt, but hmmmmmm.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 14:43 
Hibernating Druid

It's going to be gash.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 17:37 
Sleepyhead

Zardoz wrote:
It's going to be gash.

Title

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 18:48 
Rude Belittler

Shane Black has like a 96% hit rate so I'm still confident.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 17:33 
Bad Girl

I watched A Quiet Place. Essentially, if you haven’t seen it, it’s a post-apocalypse film about aliens.

Very good for the most part and I enjoyed 70% of the film without any complaints whatsoever.

Then it seemed like one daft calamity after another in short succession. And it then starts taking some slight liberties with the rules it established earlier in the film.

And the tone of the ending is all wrong.

AND I can’t believe that no one in the entire world did what they do at the end, prior to them at the ending doing what they do. That was obtuse enough to be spoiler free won’ it. It wasn’t enough to ruin the film but after the “calamities” I was less prepared to be generous. That last 30% of the film was probably as a consequence of studio heads getting involved: “We’ve got these Hollywood stars you must do stuff with them!” “You’ve got to have this kind of ending” “More action! It’s been too slow!”

Oh! And the CGI in the end scene was awful. Really took me out of the moment.

I’d compare this Hollywood Star horror film with magical horror “It Comes At Night”. The latter being superior because it’s uncompromising.

I still had a good time but it made me want to watch It Comes At Night again.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 18:14 

What Hollywood stars are in It Comes At Night?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 18:25 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Joel Edgerton is quite famous. Also, not a good film.

https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... 25#p963825

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 18:39 
Bad Girl

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

These guys.

Joel played the Orc in Bright, people.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 18:46 
Bad Girl

Hearthly wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Joel Edgerton is quite famous. Also, not a good film.

https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... 25#p963825

Seems you got upset that the film didn’t explain everything to you outside of the story it was trying to tell. It isn’t The Walking Dead, y’know.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 18:59 
Hello Hello Hello

So one of us liked the film, and one of us didn't, and we both have our reasons which we articulated in our previous posts.

Cool.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 19:26 
Gogmagog

Hearthly wrote:
So one of us liked the film, and one of us didn't, and we both have our reasons which we articulated in our previous posts.

Cool.

Yeah but if you both liked the Shawshank Redemption. ..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 19:00 
Bad Girl

Finally finished slogging through the last 40 minutes of New Tomb Raider.

Cor that was just awful.

Characters, acting, dialogue, visuals (the CGI in that escape sequence looked worse than the video games) (and not even just the looks, it wasn’t as exciting as the video games either) (well, it wasn’t exciting at all, but you know what I mean), cinematography, the generic forgettable score, and the laughably shit ending.

Let’s be absolutely honest, the original Tomb Raider film was better than this. Long live Angelina Jolie as the OG Lara.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 22:02 
Hello Hello Hello

Tonight's film was 'You Were Never Really Here' starring The Phoenix Brother you can't spell the name of without Googling it first (Joaquin), and no one else you've heard of most likely.

It's only 90 minutes long but it's a pretty devastating, difficult watch.

(It's directed by the lady who also directed 'We Need To Talk About Kevin')

TBH it's a hard film to like, Joaquin mumbles most of the time and there are all sorts of flashbacks and semi-dream sequences occurring on a regular basis, along with jump cuts to things that don't appear contextually relevant.

Even the basic story synpopsis is pretty grim (here's my version):

Joaquin plays a traumatized veteran who tracks down young missing girls traded and sold for sex. When he catches the baddies he kills them ruthlessly with a hammer. Then he takes a job that gets him close to the great and the good, and what little world he has is threatened, whilst devastating memories from his own past repeatedly cause him nightmares, be he awake or asleep.

I'll let the Wikipedia review summary do the job here. I watched the film twice, as once I'd worked it all out I wanted to see it again with everything contextualised.

This isn't a particularly easy watch, but I'd say it's worth it.

860/1000

Quote:
Joseph Walsh for The Skinny gave the film a rating of five stars out of five and states "You Were Never Really Here is a brutal, punishing watch, but every minute is a masterclass in filmmaking. It's like a one-inch-punch to the gut, winding you from the start and giving you no respite. This exquisite examination of suffering will leave you staggering from the cinema".[18] Matt Bobkin for Exclaim! gave the film a 9 out of 10 score, describing it as "dizzying, horrifying and utterly compelling."[19]

Sheila O'Malley of RogerEbert.com gave the film 4 stars, saying that the film "is a taut and almost unbearably intense 90-minutes, without an ounce of fat on it. Ramsay doesn't give you a second to breathe."[16] Guy Lodge for Variety said Ramsay may be the world's "greatest working filmmaker", and called it "astonishing... a stark, sinewy, slashed-to-the-bone hitman thriller far more concerned with the man than the hit."[17]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:32 
Unpossible!

Last night we watched Hunt for The Wilderpeople, a 2016 New Zealand film by Taika Waititi of Thor: Ragnarok fame. It stars Sam Neill and the kid from Deadpool 2 and it was just majestical.

Very basic plot outline: A troubled young kid gets shipped out to a new home in the Kiwi bush and has adventures. I don't want to say any more than that, because it's much better to go in cold. Suffice to say, it's heartwarming, exciting in places and very, very funny. Excellent movie for Sunday evening.

874 Bananas.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:34 
Soopah red DS

Ant Man and The Wasp. Great, loved it. I was a little bit meh for the first 10-15 minutes, with no big action drawing me in (plus they forgot to lower the lights in the screen, and the film launched straight in in exactly the same way as the trailers had), but the characters are compelling (I think they've done a great job casting pretty much every character), the plot carries it through, and it's very funny. There's an interrogation scene that is just brilliantly done, and from then on, it's all good stuff.

And a really good in-credits scene, then a jokey one right after the credits (which is skippable if you need to get out of there).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:31 
Bad Girl

Rampage.

It’s watchable, I guess, but it’s terrible and shouldn’t exist.

Mind you, it has an amazing line where The Rock gets shot in the gut, comes back and says “I think it missed all the vital organs but let’s not jinx it”. Then he fights a crocodile.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:45 
Bad Girl

Satsuma wrote:
Maze Runner: The Death Cure - I kinda enjoyed the first one. I can't remember the second one much and I can't genuinely remember if this is the third or fourth film. If it's the fourth I've definitely seen the third and can't remember a lick of it. Anyway, this one? I watched thirty minutes and then fiddled with my phone for another 30 minutes before deciding to switch it off. I can't remember any of the characters and have no idea what was supposed to be happening. And the bad guy organization is called "Wicked". BUT ARE THEY ACTUALLY WICKED!? Who gives a fuck.

I went back to finish (start?) watching this. Surprisingly, it’s got a decent opening sequence and a good second act as the teenagers attempt to infiltrate WCKD.

But once again I was absolutely flabbergasted to see, one of my fave actors, Walton Goggins in a bizarre role where he has about 2 minutes of total screen time before he randomly goes on a suicide mission and just blows himself up. Why is he in so much shit these days? Has he racked up a load of debt IRL?

Littlefinger is in it again though. He just does his Littlefinger impression again though. Meh. You’ll see his death telegraphed 10 minutes before it happens.

Hilariously the rest of the last act just absolute garbage as people get shot, fall to their knees during an escape, get trapped, get rescued at the last minute etc etc in what must be the greatest amount of movie cliches that a single film has compiled in recent times. I wonder if all that crap was in the books.

Let’s just hope that Divergent 7: Mergent Detergent finally gets made to finish off this run of crap books being turned into movies. It’s what the fans want.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 14:56 
Unpossible!

There will never be a final Divergent movie. Not with any of the original cast anyway. The books had a shitty Jesus-metaphor non-ending anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 18:40 
Gogmagog

Hitman's Bodyguard was good. Jackson plays Jackson but halfway through I found myself googling Reynolds's marital status. Weird.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:36 
Excellent Member

Watched Sicario 2 at the weekend. Sicario is one of my favourite films ever; constant nerve-shredding tension and a great audience surrogate in the shape of Emily Blunt. Sicario 2 provides neither of these things and not a lot else either, there's no real reason for it to exist and it's mostly nonsense. Very disappointing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:35 
SavyGamer

I felt pretty similarly about Sicario 2 too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:12 
Excellent Member

The initial premise of using false flag operations to start a war between the cartels would've made for a worthwhile film, but what it almost instantly turns into is just balls.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 14:00 

Bamba wrote:
The initial premise of using false flag operations to start a war between the cartels would've made for a worthwhile film, but what it almost instantly turns into is just balls.

Isn't this kind of how Clear And Present Danger starts?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 14:52 
Hello Hello Hello

I am very disappointed to hear this about Sicario 2.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 15:04 
Prince of Fops

I'm surprised by the negativity. I haven't seen it but Peter Bradshaw wrote about it very favourably and he's usually on the money for me.

Guardian review

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 17:43 
SavyGamer

I tweeted my thoughts at the time:

Didn't love Sicario 2. Just not as tense or well put together as the first. Feels like they moved on from the theme of "which side is good, which is bad?" But didn't really come up with anything else as compelling.

There's a few key set pieces where the stakes aren't even really established, and the action is kind of unclear, which I don't feel was true about the first movie.

Dunno if they didn't ask Emily Blunt back or if she didn't want back, and her character's story was (sort of) tied up, but you can really feel her absence in the sequel. Cinematography ain't bad in the new one, but it's no Villeneuve/Deakins combo.

Reply to topic  [ 21114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 344, 345, 346, 347, 348, 349, 350 ... 423  Next