Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 337, 338, 339, 340, 341, 342, 343 ... 422  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 17:32 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Been to see Black Panther. I really enjoyed it. Not a must save the world Marvel, but a good story. His body guard is awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 15:47 

It (2017)

I didn't like this as much as everyone else seemed to. Almost all of the kids were very underwritten (the only exception being Beverly, with Sophia Lillis turning in a performance with at least a little nuance in between the tropes), and although the jump scares were effective and Skarsgard was clearly enjoying chewing up kids and scenery in equal measure the whole film ended up feeling hollow to me. I had no real investment in any of the characters beyond Beverly, and I felt the film was content to just treat them as window dressing. Ultimately it was all sound and fury, signifying little. Somewhat ironically, given the provenance, I couldn't shake the feeling I was watching a second rate knockoff of Stranger Things. 2/5.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 17:16 

We watched Three Billboards Outside Epping, Missouri last night. Much of the pre-release hype about it seemed to label it as a black comedy, but I'm not sure I'd go that far - it's nowhere near as amusing as Martin McDonagh's previous work (thinking specifically of In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths) but that's not a bad thing.

Fantastic performances all-round, Frances McDormand is amazing, Woody Harrelson somehow manages to get across a whole spectrum of emotion from one scene to another in a way that I'd never really considered him to be capable of doing, and Sam Rockwell is... well, he's Sam Rockwell.

8/10.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 17:41 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Concur, excellent film.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 18:13 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
It (2017)

I didn't like this as much as everyone else seemed to. Almost all of the kids were very underwritten (the only exception being Beverly, with Sophia Lillis turning in a performance with at least a little nuance in between the tropes), and although the jump scares were effective and Skarsgard was clearly enjoying chewing up kids and scenery in equal measure the whole film ended up feeling hollow to me. I had no real investment in any of the characters beyond Beverly, and I felt the film was content to just treat them as window dressing. Ultimately it was all sound and fury, signifying little. Somewhat ironically, given the provenance, I couldn't shake the feeling I was watching a second rate knockoff of Stranger Things. 2/5.

After a rewatch, I agree with you

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:50 
Soopah red DS

Cras wrote:
Concur, excellent film.

Double ditto. Sort of glad I had an idea about the ending - not what, but that it wasn't to everyone's taste. I liked it, though. And the film has stayed with me.

Not as much as Lady Bird, mind.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:18 
sneering elitist

GazChap wrote:
Frances McDormand is amazing

She was fucking spot on. I want to be Mildred when I grow up.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 15:02 
Bad Girl

I’m adding to the “better than just passable Will Farrell films”:

Anchorman
Elf
*Old School

That is all.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 15:31 
Rude Belittler

Talladega Nights?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 16:22 
Bad Girl

Pundabaya wrote:
Talladega Nights?

Naaahh.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 23:41 
Gogmagog

The Love Punch - Pensioner heist movie with Emma! And Pierce Brosnan. It's lovely.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:04 
Soopah red DS

Couple more films I have seen:

Finding your Feet. Can't imagine many of you will consider this, but the trailer made it look lovely. It doesn't quite hit that. Pushes all the buttons it wants to, is lazy and sometimes incompetent in so doing, but just about hangs together enough to be fun, thanks to the three leads, I think. Why oh why does her mobile change to Italian when she pops to Rome for 2 days? Bizarre.

Game Night. Knew nothing about it, except that someone on the Wittertainment group suggested it was a treat. And they were right! Comedy more than rom-com, funny and smart, some plot holes if I think it through but who cares, it's a romp and I reckon most, if not all, of you will love it. You won't expect to, but you will.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:46 
SavyGamer

Yeah Mute sucks.

I properly loved Moon and Source Code. Mute wasn't really badly directed, it's just dull, highly derivative, and not an interesting story.

Waste of a great Clint Mansell score.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:20 
Excellent Member

Game Night. Jason Bateman's rich and over-bearing older brother arrives in town and attempts to jazz up their usual game nights with a staged kidnapping mystery game. The wheels come off it almost instantly and genuinely funny shenanigans ensue. Good script, good cast, good stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:39 

Veronica is a pretty decent horror film. I've kind of gone off horror films a bit because they just don't seem to scare or unsettle me in any way any more for some reason, even jump scares don't get me like they used to so it started to feel like a total waste of time (horror games are different kettle of fish, though). But this one had some admirably creepy stuff going on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:07 
Comfortably Dumb

With The Silent Child winning an Oscar last night, my Dad can now say he's met an Oscar winner, as Rachel Shenton is patron of our local deaf club.

Attachment:
10714250_1502616306666813_4801158976324781117_o.jpg

Not too sure about his purple t-shirt though

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 17:53 
Excellent Member

devilman wrote:
With The Silent Child winning an Oscar last night, my Dad can now say he's met an Oscar winner, as Rachel Shenton is patron of our local deaf club.

Attachment:
10714250_1502616306666813_4801158976324781117_o.jpg

Not too sure about his purple t-shirt though

Wow, that's pretty great:)

About the purple shirt: I had a teacher in the uni (which later became my boss) who was colour blind. Once he told us in class that he had divorced, and since it was his ex-wife that picked his clothes, any fashion mistakes from now on would be expectable.

There was one day he wore a bright purple dress shirt. From that day on i always assumed the same kind of story everytime i saw someone with questionable clothing.

But i suppose your dad just likes purple.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:52 
Hello Hello Hello

Couple of really good movie analyses I watched yesterday by the consistently excellent Chris Stuckmann.

First is for 'STAY', considering it as a misunderstood gem, the second is a close look at 'ALIEN 3' and how it got fucked around time and time again.

This guy is splendid, and his in-depth analysis videos particularly so.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:41 
Hello Hello Hello

GazChap wrote:
We watched Three Billboards Outside Epping, Missouri last night. Much of the pre-release hype about it seemed to label it as a black comedy, but I'm not sure I'd go that far - it's nowhere near as amusing as Martin McDonagh's previous work (thinking specifically of In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths) but that's not a bad thing.

Fantastic performances all-round, Frances McDormand is amazing, Woody Harrelson somehow manages to get across a whole spectrum of emotion from one scene to another in a way that I'd never really considered him to be capable of doing, and Sam Rockwell is... well, he's Sam Rockwell.

8/10.

8/10!?!?!

I watched this last night and was truly blown away by it.

I agree with everything you say but think 8/10 is an incredibly miserly score. This is one of the finest films I've seen for a while.

925/1000

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:30 
Hello Hello Hello

After the intensity of Three Billboards I fancied something a little bit easier going last night so I had a browse through Amazon Prime's movie list selection, (which appears to be better than it was), and settled on a nonsensical 2013 film called 'Escape Plan' with Arnie and Sly in it. (There are also a few other familiar faces in there, such as Vincent D'Onofrio, Vinnie Jones, Sam Neill and Jim Caviezel.)

Sly is a genius sort of 'prison breaker' character, who is employed by various authorities to test the structural security of the world's toughest prisons (no, really). He agrees to take 'one last job' to test the security of a new ultra-secret high-tech facility that officially doesn't exist.

But what's this? A double-cross! And Sly finds himself genuinely incarcerated in a prison that none of his friends know the location of. Will he be able to break out? (Spoiler alert. Yes.)

Also imprisoned in the facility is Arnie, and he seems to want to get to know Sly right from the start. After being suspicious of him at first, Sly and Arnie must work together to orchestrate their escape, as the vicious warden (played by Caviezel and assisted by his psychopathic hard-man (inevitiably played by Jones)) seeks to break their bodies and minds.

If all this sounds utterly preposterous then yes, it absolutely is, but for what it is, it works.

This is basically an 80s popcorn movie, Sly and Arnie are on good form and work well together on the screen. The script is solid, the acting is fine, the budget was sufficient to make it all look nice and shiny, the action is well choreographed and the directing is assured. It's not massively violent (Cert 15, R in the States) but there are crunchy fight scenes and blood flies when people get shot. (The action does have that jump-cut editing style and a lot of obvious body double shots, which is understandable considering the two protagonists have a combined age of three million years.)

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a great film, but it knows what it is, and it does it well. If you want a fun action movie that doesn't test the old grey matter too much (or indeed at all), this is the film for you.

700/1000 - So exactly as good as Baby Driver.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 13:27 
Excellent Member

Yeah, I watched Escape Plan a while back and, like you, thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:42 
Hello Hello Hello

GazChap wrote:

8/10.

Hmmm, turns out my chum entirely agrees with you. Although he explains HIS REASONS.

EDIT - Actually I'll spoiler that pic as it does vaguely give away plot points, although nothing that isn't in the trailer, to be fair.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Attachment:
gazzo.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:18 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
It (2017)

I thought the story was better in a lot of places, IT from the TV special still creeps me out far more though, even with todays increased special effects.

The 2nd half of the film won't have to work hard to be better than part 2 of the TV special though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:15 

The fire extinguisher thing isn't that unusual, it's a legal requirement in much of Europe and in general is just a fucking good idea anyway (but I still don't do it, obvs)

The others are definitely problems though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Huh?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:34 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Oh, right, you were replying directly to a spoilered image that itself had no relation to the quoted content in the same post.

Top work all ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:35 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Wait, no, turns out the image was discussing the quote after all, it just had the name of another film at the top.

Super-confused that it also uses GazChap's name AARRGH TOPICS YOU CUNTS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:39 
Hello Hello Hello

That's how we roll, man.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:48 
Unpossible!

A mod should lock this one. Seize control!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:49 
Excellent Member

Hearthly, your friend gareth knows his stuff. I didn't like Three Billboards very much, and using your rating system i give it 501/1000. It's still favourable unlike by wife that hated it. I don't know how many movies I've seen in rural america with dumb people. I don't know how true this is, but it's getting annoying, and the teenager girlfriend of the ex-husband dialogue was face palming embarrassing, and using the police officer as comic relief wasn't also exactly subtle or nuanced.

Lady Bird (717/1000) - Sweet and competent movie, but otherwise bland and forgetful. Perfect Oscar-bait then.

And i'm half through with the new Blade Runner, which will get 1001/1000 if it keeps being so absolutely amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:49 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Grim... wrote:
Wait, no, turns out the image was discussing the quote after all, it just had the name of another film at the top.

Super-confused that it also uses GazChap's name AARRGH TOPICS YOU CUNTS

The fuck are you talking about?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 13:02 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

GazChap's mention of "fire extinguisher" is a reply to a screenshot of a conversation AE had with someone called 'Gareth' that starts by talking about Escape Plan.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 13:51 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:
GazChap's mention of "fire extinguisher" is a reply to a screenshot of a conversation AE had with someone called 'Gareth' that starts by talking about Escape Plan.

I just wanted to leave the bit in where I call him an elitist.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:02 
Excellent Member

Blade Runner 2049. Movie of the decade.

And Joy is such a babe. :luv:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 22:57 

Icarus

Just clicked this for the poster art and watched it completely cold. Glad I did. What a rollercoaster of a documentary this is. I recommend everyone watch it, but if you must know stuff before spending two hours of time...

A ‘top amateur’ cyclist who is JBR’s American cousin talks a bit about how he’s good but not great at cycling, came 24th in the hardest amateur race in the world (basically like the seven hardest days of the TDF back to back) starts talking about superhuman feats of cycling, Lance Armstrong... doping. How he and others got away with it so long

Quickly escalated to him deciding he wants to try doping and see how easy it is to cheat and con the system.

Goes through some shady characters, is put into a Russian doctor and head of the Russian anti coping shrncg who explains how so many people evaded capture. Then tells him how to do it. Then helps him do it.

USJBR is now injecting himself with a cocktail of drugs, races the bike race again, things go wrong and he doesn’t better his position but they have data to adjust his drugs to his performance now.

But then at the same time the Russian anti doping guys are getting sniffed around.

Then the situation escalates and the anti doping guy is forced to resign, panicked a bit because, irk, Putin, goes to America to meet USJBR and then helps blow the whole state sponsored doping secrets into the open. Then other people that helped organise the program start very suddenly dying in suspicious circumstances, then the whole thing goes worldwide, and there are spies, and agents, and FSR(?) or whatever they are now, the FBI, everything just goes crazy and so watch it.

Ah, I’m rubbish at reviews and too much happens. You should just watch it. JBR is nearly in it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 23:40 
Hello Hello Hello

Yes I covered Icarus last year, a truly splendid documentary. Genuinely exciting too, simply because the facts of the case are so absolutely batshit crazy.

https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... 44#p962344

Quote:
ICARUS - A dude called Bryan Fogel set out to make a documentary about doping in professional sport, as he'd been disturbed by high-profile cases such as Lance Armstrong getting away with it forever with apparent ease. The documentary was to be about nothing more than him entering the premier amateur cycle race in the world (think an amateur Tour De France) whilst doping, and getting away with it.

However, during the course of his preparations he's put in contact with a Russian doctor to help him with his doping regime, and ends up blowing the lid on decades of Russian doping in sport, that culminated with Russia nearly getting banned outright from the 2016 Rio Olympics. (And includes astonishing insider reveals of how Russia cheated at the Sochi Winter Olympics with shenanigans that seem to belong in a James Bond film.)

What elevates this film is that Fogel and Rodchenkov are both likeable characters, Rodchenkov in particular is a documentarian's dream, I've seen him described as 'eccentric, garrulous, frequently shirtless, and immensely charming', and it's often easy to forget you're actually watching a documentary.

It takes a serious turn for the sinister when some people involved with the State-sponsored programme start 'dying', and Rodchenkov decides to leave Russia or end up the same way himself, and once in the States agrees to turn witness to blow the whole thing apart.

A truly fascinating watch.

841/1000

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 23:57 

Ah, I searched for Icarus but only saw posts on Kid Icarus. So much happened that I can’t get my head around summarising it at all. You do it far better. Though, I think if anyone’s willing to give a punt to just watching it without too much gore-knowledge then it’s all the better.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:47 
Soopah red DS

Gah! I have avoided Icarus up till now, but I'm going to have to watch it now, aren't I?!

(Note: this is testament only to how much influence you can have, Mimi, and the lovely way you express yourself, not a real GAH. Plus as my dad is an athletics expert I grew up with commentary on elite sport so it is relevant to my interests - which is how come I have heard of it and avoided it, rather than going Whuh?)

Greatest Showman - s'alright. One or two decent songs, all the emotional heft was, for me, in the first half or so, which made it feel a bit unbalanced.

The Party - doesn't outstay it's welcome at 71 mins. Hybrid of play and film, all about the plot and performances, which are great, though you'll be left very short-changed if you want firm resolution.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:10 
sneering elitist

Red Sparrow was intense.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 15:09 
INFINITE POWAH

Annihilation was pretty good. Some of the cgi was a smidge iffy but Natalie Portman was excellent and it was atmospheric and tense.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 15:46 
Sleepyhead

MrChris wrote:
Annihilation was pretty good. Some of the cgi was a smidge iffy but Natalie Portman was excellent and it was atmospheric and tense.

I thought the visuals overall were really well done.

Portman was good, and overall it was, yeah, pretty good.

It’s absolutely nothing like the book(s), which threw me for a bit as I kept on expecting things to happen that didn’t.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 16:20 
Excellent Painter

Curiosity wrote:
MrChris wrote:

I thought the visuals overall were really well done.

Portman was good, and overall it was, yeah, pretty good.

It’s absolutely nothing like the book(s), which threw me for a bit as I kept on expecting things to happen that didn’t.

This is a plus as I thought the book was too similar to Lovecraft for my liking. Still haven’t watched it, though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 22:19 
Bad Girl

I watched the Star Wars 8 again. Visually, it’s spectacular. I liked it loads more than 7 and that Rogue One.

I also watched Austin Powers 2: The Spy Who Shagged Me. Man alive, that film is dumb. I bloody loved it. Heather Graham is spectacular. She should be in more things. Like my bedsheets. YA GETS ME! Fnaar fnaar.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 22:45 
Gogmagog

Mimi wrote:
Icarus

Just clicked this for the poster art and watched it completely cold. Glad I did. What a rollercoaster of a documentary this is. I recommend everyone watch it, but if you must know stuff before spending two hours of time...

A ‘top amateur’ cyclist who is JBR’s American cousin talks a bit about how he’s good but not great at cycling, came 24th in the hardest amateur race in the world (basically like the seven hardest days of the TDF back to back) starts talking about superhuman feats of cycling, Lance Armstrong... doping. How he and others got away with it so long

Quickly escalated to him deciding he wants to try doping and see how easy it is to cheat and con the system.

Goes through some shady characters, is put into a Russian doctor and head of the Russian anti coping shrncg who explains how so many people evaded capture. Then tells him how to do it. Then helps him do it.

USJBR is now injecting himself with a cocktail of drugs, races the bike race again, things go wrong and he doesn’t better his position but they have data to adjust his drugs to his performance now.

But then at the same time the Russian anti doping guys are getting sniffed around.

Then the situation escalates and the anti doping guy is forced to resign, panicked a bit because, irk, Putin, goes to America to meet USJBR and then helps blow the whole state sponsored doping secrets into the open. Then other people that helped organise the program start very suddenly dying in suspicious circumstances, then the whole thing goes worldwide, and there are spies, and agents, and FSR(?) or whatever they are now, the FBI, everything just goes crazy and so watch it.

Ah, I’m rubbish at reviews and too much happens. You should just watch it. JBR is nearly in it.

I wish to watch this. In a similar vein:
Watch "Accidental Death of a Cyclist" about Pantani.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:19 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Satsuma wrote:
I watched the Star Wars 8 again. Visually, it’s spectacular. I liked it loads more than 7 and that Rogue One.

I also watched Austin Powers 2: The Spy Who Shagged Me. Man alive, that film is dumb. I bloody loved it. Heather Graham is spectacular. She should be in more things. Like my bedsheets. YA GETS ME! Fnaar fnaar.

She's one of the better things about the last season of Californication.

And Boogie Nights, obviously.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:33 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

She's one of the better things about the last season of Californication.

And Boogie Nights, obviously.

Some years i convinced my wife to watch "Licence to Drive" which is a dumb 80s comedy that i used to love as a kid. I didn't remember that Heather Graham was on it. Movie became twice as good instantly.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:47 
Unpossible!

Heather Graham is a *terrible* actor. Just awful. But I'd watch her in anything because she's enchanting.

Bowfinger is a career highlight for her I reckon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:00 
Excellent Member

DavPaz wrote:
Heather Graham is a *terrible* actor. Just awful. But I'd watch her in anything because she's enchanting.

Bowfinger is a career highlight for her I reckon

She was a amazing in Boogie Nights, although i don't remember anything about her acting. And I suppose that's a good thing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:03 

JBR wrote:
Gah! I have avoided Icarus up till now, but I'm going to have to watch it now, aren't I?!

(Note: this is testament only to how much influence you can have, Mimi, and the lovely way you express yourself, not a real GAH. Plus as my dad is an athletics expert I grew up with commentary on elite sport so it is relevant to my interests - which is how come I have heard of it and avoided it, rather than going Whuh?)

Greatest Showman - s'alright. One or two decent songs, all the emotional heft was, for me, in the first half or so, which made it feel a bit unbalanced.

The Party - doesn't outstay it's welcome at 71 mins. Hybrid of play and film, all about the plot and performances, which are great, though you'll be left very short-changed if you want firm resolution.

It’s a great documentary, and clearly not the one they set out to make, but all the better for it. That the film-maker becomes SO much part of the developing story by becoming so close to the new protagonist makes it so compelling. As you’ve been avoiding it, you may not *enjoy* it, but it’s certainly hard to stop watching once you begin.

I want to watch The Greatest Showman just because the Ooster on the side of a bus looked very bright and happy over New Year.

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 337, 338, 339, 340, 341, 342, 343 ... 422  Next