Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163 ... 423  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 14:05 
ugvm'er at heart...

You really really need to fix that, I suspect you would enjoy it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 14:11 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

Why in the name of merlin's saggy left testicle is Face/Off on the list?

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 14:11 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Because it was great. Even Sir Cage of Can't Act was good in it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 14:13 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

Grim... wrote:

Did we watch different films? Am going to have to watch it again now, been quite a few years but I remember it being awful

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 14:15 
Grim... wrote:
Because I've not seen it.

Rectify this immediately!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 14:36 
SavyGamer

Taken 2: disappointing waste of time. Not recommended.

Dredd: Awesome portrait of what I remember from the character, fantastic looking for the most part (although there was a few scenes that looked really cheap), a few great laughs and some brilliant action too. Recommended.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 14:37 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Looking forward to watching Dredd this weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 14:48 
ugvm'er at heart...

I quite enjoyed Taken 2. It wasn't as good as the first, but it wasn't awful by any stretch.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 15:57 

A friend of mine is in Dredd, he's... well, he's one of the dead bodies in the mall scene near the start. I did go to see it at the cinema with him though, so at least we got to point and laugh at his extremely brief onscreen appearance.

He's a big 2000AD fan though, so it was quite a privilege for him.

He told me that his job was literally to lie on the floor, eyes closed and play dead while Karl Urban walked past in full costume. After the director yelled "CUT!", he opened his eyes, looked up and saw Judge Dredd towering over him. He apparently had a brief moment where he wasn't sure whether to cry or poop.

It's also an amazing film and a definite BluRay purchase for me!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 16:32 
SavyGamer

Trooper wrote:
I quite enjoyed Taken 2. It wasn't as good as the first, but it wasn't awful by any stretch.

It was pretty awful.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
The constant camera cuts during any fighting was incredibly annoying, the Drive reference was dumb as hell, most of the first hour was just stupid relationship stuff, and the grenade distance thing was a joke.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 19:04 

Watched Lincoln today, it's so fucking meanderingly slow and 'Amistady'.

I realise that congressional politics in the civil war era wasn't exactly akin to killer robot police chases in 3D but Spielberg decided the best course of action was to jam the most insightful elements of a near-unquantifiable leader into the first and last ten minutes and the rest is like watching BBC Parliament during the wee hours when all the knobby European pish is on.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 20:48 
Hello Hello Hello

LewieP wrote:
The constant camera cuts during any fighting was incredibly annoying, the Drive reference was dumb as hell, most of the first hour was just stupid relationship stuff, and the grenade distance thing was a joke.

You may actually find the camera cuts were down to censorship cuts, what version were you watching?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 20:52 
SavyGamer

Extended edition.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 21:03 

Magnavox Odyssey wrote:

I realise that congressional politics in the civil war era wasn't exactly akin to killer robot police chases in 3D but Spielberg decided the best course of action was to jam the most insightful elements of a near-unquantifiable leader into the first and last ten minutes and the rest is like watching BBC Parliament during the wee hours when all the knobby European pish is on.

Anyone else seen it yet? That's the first negative review I've read, though I suppose I've mostly heard feedback from US-based ACW nerds (who probably spent longer examining the soldier extras' uniforms and yelling 'too many stitches for a Schuylkill Arsenal Infantry Jacket! Farbs!')

Still, there's no way it can be as dreadful as 'Gods and Generals'.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 21:11 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Rock of Ages is not unexpectedly mediocre, though it obviously has a superb soundtrack (breadth of appeal on Beex....limited ;)) and Tom Cruise does an absolutely star turn as a mashed up rock star.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 21:51 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Oh holy shit I take it back

Alec Baldwin and Russell Brand dueting 'I Can't Fight This Feeling Anymore' is one of the greatest things I've ever seen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 0:56 
Excellent Member

LewieP wrote:
Taken 2: disappointing waste of time. Not recommended.

Dredd: Awesome portrait of what I remember from the character, fantastic looking for the most part (although there was a few scenes that looked really cheap), a few great laughs and some brilliant action too. Recommended.

Totally agree with Taken 2 (loved the first one). It was mostly dreadful.

Also, generally agree with Dredd. Very good & far better than the Stallone version from the 90's. The only thing that slightly took the shine off it for me was that is was almost the same identical plot / set-up as the superior "The Raid - Redemption" which I saw a few months ago (pure coincidence I'm guessing).
Solid Dredd film regardless.

P.S. Django Unchained is superb.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:16 
Excellent Member

The Impossible was impossible to not get at least choked by. Grim viewing at times, some dodgy acting but some really good acting, and impressive visuals.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:18 
Paws for thought

Slightly Green wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Did we watch different films? Am going to have to watch it again now, been quite a few years but I remember it being awful

You'll probably find your initial thought to be confirmed if you do. It's not exactly thrilling.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 20:09 
Hello Hello Hello

LewieP wrote:
Extended edition.

Oh right, the one that they put about 10 minutes of cut stuff back into?

I'll probably give this a miss then.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 20:12 
Hello Hello Hello

markg wrote:
WTB wrote:
The 18th! You dirty pirate! You're missing out by not heading to a big screen to see Tarantino.

I know but I saw that there were DVD screeners out there and I couldn't help myself.

I have turned to the dark side.

Django get, I can't resist a new Tarantino film. Will watch after everyone's gone to bed.

I'll do the right thing and buy the DVD when it comes out.

I don't think the cinema adds anything to the viewing experience these days, the 'big screen' was indeed the big screen when we all had shitty little 4:3 20 inch tellies at home with a single crap speaker in the side of them, and films were cropped for pan 'n scan and VHS video quality was shit.

Now I can sit in perfect comfort in front of a 40 inch widescreen LED screen with proper 5:1 surround sound, I can pause the film if I need a piss, and I don't need to tolerate any other members of the human race in the process.

Going to the cinema would be a demonstrable step down.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 20:16 

Nah, cinema screens still offer way more in the way of spectacle. Anyone who thinks their home cinema setup compares at all well is either a billionaire, has forgotten what the cinema is like or is delusional.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 20:24 
Excellent Member

Kern wrote:
Magnavox Odyssey wrote:

Anyone else seen it yet? That's the first negative review I've read, though I suppose I've mostly heard feedback from US-based ACW nerds (who probably spent longer examining the soldier extras' uniforms and yelling 'too many stitches for a Schuylkill Arsenal Infantry Jacket! Farbs!')

Still, there's no way it can be as dreadful as 'Gods and Generals'.

My American contacts wot have seen it say it's aceness, and they're not at all fussed about history, so I'd fear not. The reviews I've read say it's quite funny too, fast paced and sort of a 'political heist thriller'. I'll definitely be seeing it at the cinema though, and not before. Word of mouth on this one is so strong that I have little doubt it'll be tops - which is surprising since War Horse was so regrettably bungled.

Thanks for making me wait a full two months later than America by the way, studio heads, you useless, cretinous morons. And they wonder why people pirate?

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 20:34 
Hello Hello Hello

markg wrote:
Nah, cinema screens still offer way more in the way of spectacle. Anyone who thinks their home cinema setup compares at all well is either a billionaire, has forgotten what the cinema is like or is delusional.

What 'spectacle'? You're watching a bloody film! Requirements (1) Picture (2) Sound.

If a film is good enough it will captivate whatever it's watched on, if it needs the 'spectacle' of cinema to be interesting then it's probably not that good to start with.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 20:46 

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
markg wrote:

What 'spectacle'? You're watching a bloody film! Requirements (1) Picture (2) Sound.

If a film is good enough it will captivate whatever it's watched on, if it needs the 'spectacle' of cinema to be interesting then it's probably not that good to start with.

Except that's not even remotely what I said. CBA.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 21:24 
Goth

LaceSensor wrote:
The Impossible was impossible to not get at least choked by. Grim viewing at times, some dodgy acting but some really good acting, and impressive visuals.

Agreed. It's one of the most powerful films I've ever seen at the cinema. It wrecked me on several occasions. Brilliant stuff. I urge everyone to see it. It's quite the masterpiece I feel. Yes I know normally endorsement from me isn't good news but seriously this is incredible, if you're up for the emotional test.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 22:30 
Hello Hello Hello

markg wrote:
markg wrote:

Except that's not even remotely what I said. CBA.

Well I'm not a billionaire, I haven't forgotten what the cinema is like, so you're saying I'm delusional, presumably.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 23:10 
INFINITE POWAH

Or willfully ignoring what the other person's saying, for a change.

"big fuck off screen the size of a house" != home cinema for the purposes of spectacle or immersion.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 23:14 
Sleepyhead

Mr Kissyfur wrote:

"big fuck off screen the size of a house" != home cinema for the purposes of spectacle or immersion.

And, indeed, why would it matter if the film is all you need? Why not watch it on a low quality download on a phone screen from across the room?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 23:16 
Sleepyhead

DerekFME wrote:
LaceSensor wrote:

Agreed. It's one of the most powerful films I've ever seen at the cinema. It wrecked me on several occasions. Brilliant stuff. I urge everyone to see it. It's quite the masterpiece I feel. Yes I know normally endorsement from me isn't good news but seriously this is incredible, if you're up for the emotional test.

Reviews I read say it was a bit, "Yeah, thousands of people died, but more importantly, a white family had their holiday ruined! Poor white family. Oh, and the thousands of dead too, I suppose. But look! White people!"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 23:19 
INFINITE POWAH

Curiosity wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

And, indeed, why would it matter if the film is all you need? Why not watch it on a low quality download on a phone screen from across the room?

Or just get Mali to describe it to you on Beex by posting the Craster score.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 23:21 
SavyGamer

I don't know exactly what it is, but I find lots of Christopher Nolan's movies look awesome in the cinema, but somehow look cheaper (although still very good) when watched on a telly. Particularly the Batman films and Inception.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 0:12 
Hello Hello Hello

Mr Kissyfur wrote:

I was doing no such thing, I read what markg had to say, and I disagreed with it, I don't get any sense of 'spectacle' when I go to the cinema - I just get fucking annoyed by noisy proles and the inability to pause if I decide I need a piss at some point. Plus it involves going out, and dicking around in queues, and shuffling around with other people, and suchlike, all of which pisses me off.

Yes the screen is bigger and the audio is arguably better at the cinema, but I feel more comfortable and I enjoy a good film more if I'm sat at home on the couch in front of my own telly - what's wrong with that?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 0:27 
INFINITE POWAH

Bamba wrote:
Craster wrote:
WHOAH! Where did Charisma Carpenter get those from?

<N even slightly SFW>
What, these?
</N even slightly SFW>

~@AS@Df;#as'df;'a!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 0:52 
Hello Hello Hello

OK, so Django Unchained is 2h45m long.

Ain't nobody got time for that.

Well, not starting at nearly midnight, anyway.

What was wrong with films that were fucking ninety minutes long?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:10 
Sleepyhead

Nothing. Some need to be longer though. It's not like this is a new thing. Ben Hur was over three hours long, and that was released in the 1950s!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:11 
Excellent Member

In many cases I'd agree with you.

Django is consistently entertaining though with no boring "down-time" sections & doesn't actually feel as long as it is (midnight showing is probably not ideal though unless you're an insomniac).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:40 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

...or have children who don't want to sleep. :'(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:09 
Hello Hello Hello

Some films can justify that kind of runtime, certainly. And I suppose if I'm honest Tarantino is probably one of the few directors who can pull it off.

When you have fucking Batman films weighing in at two and a half hours though, something's gone wrong.

I remember being genuinely bored as the The Dark Knight just dragged on and on.

Last night I was just a bit cross to discover I'd left it too late to start watching Django Unchained :D (I should have stopped playing Borderlands 2 earlier, I suppose, but, y'know, one of the best games ever and that.....)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:10 
Hello Hello Hello

TheVision wrote:

How old is the little critter Vision? It does get better! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:40 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

You might just have a shit attention span.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:58 
Hello Hello Hello

Craster wrote:
You might just have a shit attention span.

I've no problems with films that run two and a half to three hours, as long as the film justifies it. (Goodfellas and Casino spring to mind, Pulp Fiction, director's cut of The Abyss and so on).

Generally speaking though, I think 90-120 minutes is plenty of time to tell most stories.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:59 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

TheVision wrote:

How old is the little critter Vision? It does get better! :)

She's only 7 months. In all honesty, she's been really good for a few weeks and has slept for most of the night. I think we'll put this down to teething.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:08 
Hello Hello Hello

TheVision wrote:
She's only 7 months. In all honesty, she's been really good for a few weeks and has slept for most of the night. I think we'll put this down to teething.

Calpol is your friend!

Teething can be rough though, no doubt about it. When AE Jnr's sleep was really bad me and Mrs AE slept in separate rooms and took baby duty in turns, so at least one of us got a good night's sleep.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 14:25 
When you have fucking Batman films weighing in at two and a half hours though, something's gone wrong.

I remember being genuinely bored as the The Dark Knight just dragged on and on.

:wrong:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 14:28 

Curiosity wrote:
Nothing. Some need to be longer though. It's not like this is a new thing. Ben Hur was over three hours long, and that was released in the 1950s!

I was surprised to find out that Zulu is only 2hrs 20mins long. When they showed it on ITV when I were a nipper, I'm sure it used to be on for four hours. I guess most of that is ad breaks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 18:24 
Bad Girl

The Expendables 2: Very good if you like nods and winks to old films from old film stars. I do. It's ace.

Lots of cameos but I'd like to see a cameo from

some acting ability

next time.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 20:07 
Goth

Curiosity wrote:
DerekFME wrote:
LaceSensor wrote:

Reviews I read say it was a bit, "Yeah, thousands of people died, but more importantly, a white family had their holiday ruined! Poor white family. Oh, and the thousands of dead too, I suppose. But look! White people!"

Yes it does focus on a white family who were on holiday but it's a bit more than they just had their holiday ruined. And it is a true story. It's not necessarily so much a film about the whole disaster, it's a film about a particular family's experience. Which did happen. Nor does that lessen the emotional impact it can have.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 20:20 
Sleepyhead

DerekFME wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
DerekFME wrote:
LaceSensor wrote:

Yes it does focus on a white family who were on holiday but it's a bit more than they just had their holiday ruined. And it is a true story. It's not necessarily so much a film about the whole disaster, it's a film about a particular family's experience. Which did happen. Nor does that lessen the emotional impact it can have.

Yeah, I'm just being contrary.

Plus, the family it did happen to weren't white anyway :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 20:31 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
Plus, the family it did happen to weren't white anyway :D

They are now.

Reply to topic  [ 21127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163 ... 423  Next