Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160 ... 423  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 19:05 

Apparently it'll just be two films, with the third bridging the two trilogies and looking at Sauron, etc. Using material from appendices and stuff. If you think about where the first film ends, it makes sense really.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 20:48 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

WTB wrote:
Apparently it'll just be two films, with the third bridging the two trilogies and looking at Sauron, etc. Using material from appendices and stuff. If you think about where the first film ends, it makes sense really.

Then how come the first film pretty much ends at chapter 6 in the book? (Haven't seen the film myself yet, but am sure I read that in one of the reviews...could be wrong though ;))

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 21:02 

Well yeah it does, but there's still not really a huge deal of story left. Plus it's called The Desolation of Smaug, which gives you a clue as to how far it'll go. After that there's just the siege and the battle, which is hardly a whole film. I read it somewhere anyway! Trust me!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 21:29 
Skillmeister

Dimrill wrote:
Bear in mind that only the first two flimums will probably be The Hobbit. Originally the plan was The Hobbit to be one flim, the other covering the time between that and Lord of the Rings. Again, that second one is enough to start a warning klaxon in my head. Extrapolating a story from the fragmented notes of Tolkien's work would be difficult without wholesale making shit up.

It worries me no end. I'm a massive Tolkien bender, as you may already be aware, and I'm not sure I want to go and see someone pissing all over my loved ones. The first film only gets to the end of chapter 6 in the book. That's just after Bilbo's escape from the Goblin caves on the back of the eagles. I really have hard times envisaging half an hour a chapter dragged out onscreen. I can imagine it being more than annoying.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 22:07 

That's where I read it! Maybe! :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 22:23 
Hello Hello Hello

James Cameron looking to 60FPS:

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/r ... atar-2.php

Quote:
"That's closer to where persistence of vision almost disappears."

"It looks," he added, sending up either the victory flag or the white flag, depending on your opinion of the movie-like quality of movies, "like something happening live."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 0:12 

The Hobbit was great. Didn't feel long, lots of fanservice, Freeman and McKellen are both excellent. I love the expository bits, being a fan of the saga in any case, and the action bits are the appropriate sort of OTT lulz and woo bits. Lots of falling, they should all be dead ten times over, but for every slightly stretched (and, frequently, literal) cliffhanger, there's a really nice payoff or bit of action or whatever to make it worth it.

Highlights: a lazy first act in the Shire, as they all re-learn the chords to the LotR song, Rivendell fanservice aplenty, the walkways of the goblin kingdom, Radagast being gloriously piss-take mental, encounter with Gollum. Actually, that's quite a lot of the film.

In any case, saw it in 2D and may go back again before it leaves the cinema. It's really just 'more of the same' but if you liked the LotR trilogy and want just loads more of that good stuff then this will sort you out. Worries about whether the film itself is balanced, paced or whatever to you liking, loyalty to the letter of the books and respect for the impact of rock on bone in the real world will likely spoil it for you.

Me though, best thing I've seen in the pictures since Return of the King.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 0:15 

Lord Raiden wrote:
Saw The Hobbit last night - in new-fangled 48fps 3D no less - accompanied by Lady Raiden.

I must say I rather liked it, though it's clear that they've really stretched it out to fit into three full-length features. Quite slow going at times, yet enjoyable, if you like this kind of thing. Which I do. :)

(Still, they'll be struggling for yet further material for the extended 4-hour BluRay editions... one of the lads in the office remarked that they'd likely be reduced to having to include really mundane stuff in the running order, such as Bilbo taking a shit whilst leafing through his Hobbiton News. :D )

Nah, the appendices to LotR which is all they can work from for the 'padding') are so incredibly dense anyway that they've no excuse not to be good ex-eds. I reckon we'll get a tad more shire, a LOT more Rivendell and a wee bit more coda.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:58 
ugvm'er at heart...

GovernmentYard wrote:
The Hobbit was great. Didn't feel long, lots of fanservice, Freeman and McKellen are both excellent. I love the expository bits, being a fan of the saga in any case, and the action bits are the appropriate sort of OTT lulz and woo bits. Lots of falling, they should all be dead ten times over, but for every slightly stretched (and, frequently, literal) cliffhanger, there's a really nice payoff or bit of action or whatever to make it worth it.

Highlights: a lazy first act in the Shire, as they all re-learn the chords to the LotR song, Rivendell fanservice aplenty, the walkways of the goblin kingdom, Radagast being gloriously piss-take mental, encounter with Gollum. Actually, that's quite a lot of the film.

In any case, saw it in 2D and may go back again before it leaves the cinema. It's really just 'more of the same' but if you liked the LotR trilogy and want just loads more of that good stuff then this will sort you out. Worries about whether the film itself is balanced, paced or whatever to you liking, loyalty to the letter of the books and respect for the impact of rock on bone in the real world will likely spoil it for you.

Me though, best thing I've seen in the pictures since Return of the King.

So basically more of the same in terms of style, pacing, action, length etc... as the other 3 LOTR films?

Not for me then, but i'm glad people who like them will like this :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:00 

Sunday afternoon films. Like snooker, enjoyable but also good to have a little doze to.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 19:17 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

I watched Moonrise Kingdom and The Divide over the weekend.

I was shocked that I enjoyed Moonrise Kingdom as I much as I did, in so much it didn't make me want to stick sharpened pencils in my eyes. Most of the time when I see Wes Anderson films (this and The Royal Tenenbaums excepted) and I want to hunt him down and beat him with a heavy spiky object. It's a really sweet little film and for all the names in it the two juvenile leads steal the show. Excellent work.

The Divide was an interesting one, I wouldn't say it was good but worth a watch even though it's over long and really uneven. It does leave a nasty taste in the mouth and is home to some disturbing images (most concerning Rosanna Arquette). Starts off with the usual Sci Fi Nuclear War scenario and rapidly descends into Lord of the Flies in a basement. Some interesting ideas but none of them sufficiently well explored.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 21:15 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Funny People was quite funny, with some excellent cameos. It was way too long though, and didn't have enough stand up in. And nothing really happened at the end. 1*.

Cube 2 has been fairly crap so far, with some really bad acting. No stars yet, either.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 21:25 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'm currently watching Santa Claus Conquers The Martians. http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0058548/
It is awesome!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 22:55 
Best
Board Mother

Just watched Looper, was alright.

Need to get through some of these Christmas films now.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 23:09 
Comfortably Dumb

Watched Under Siege for the first time tonight. Must have been my first Steven Seagal film too as I realised I'd never heard him speak before. Not too shabby a Die Hard clone, but the last part seemed somewhat rushed, with the main villains getting bumped off pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 23:17 
Best
Board Mother

Spoilers!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:57 
Goth

I saw Pitch Perfect last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. A very witty script indeed. And despite the lead actres Anna Kendrick being considerably older than the character she's portraying, she did a great job.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:33 
Sleepyhead

DerekFME wrote:
I saw Pitch Perfect last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. A very witty script indeed. And despite the lead actres Anna Kendrick being considerably older than the character she's portraying, she did a great job.

Mmmmmmmmm... Anna Kendrick.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:46 

devilman wrote:
Watched Under Siege for the first time tonight. Must have been my first Steven Seagal film too as I realised I'd never heard him speak before. Not too shabby a Die Hard clone, but the last part seemed somewhat rushed, with the main villains getting bumped off pretty quickly.

Your quote reminded me of the difference between Steven Seagal and Tom Cruise.

Tom Cruise runs like a man possessed:

Steven Seagal runs like a girl:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:57 
Hello Hello Hello

devilman wrote:

Under Siege 2 is perhaps better because it's so utterly fucking ridiculous. It doesn't have Elrika Elenak in it though.

Make sure you get the uncut version as some of the fight scenes were shredded to pieces in the original UK release.

The computer hacker guy is the funniest, 'A gigabyte of RAM should do the trick!'

Hacking into PDAs, the Hollywood way.....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 16:06 
Excellent Member

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
The computer hacker guy is the funniest, 'A gigabyte of RAM should do the trick!'

I like to think there's people out there who get sudden nosebleeds when they watch that.

GazChap wrote:
Tom Cruise runs like a man possessed

YES! I always knew this to be true. The key answer-hiding-in-plain-sight to Mr Cruise's astonishing success is his incredible running ability in films, married with his smile and politeness. Sometime's he'll drop the smile while running, but never the politeness. I've never once seen him shove someone out of the way, no matter how crowded the street. That's Cruise right there, saving the world whilst respecting your personal space.

What a hero.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 21:58 
Hello Hello Hello

Really liking the look of Django Unchained.

Tarantino on his game is as good as it gets, and by all accounts he's mostly on his game this time.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:47 
Hello Hello Hello

Nemmie wrote:
I noticed Boondock Saints 2 was out and I have got hold of it but I am scared to watch it in case it doesn't live up to the greatness of the first film.

Anybody seen it yet?

I saw The Boondock Saints (1) for the first time this evening.

It was a decent watch although I can't say it made me particularly wish to seek out the sequel.

Bit cheeky to give Billy Connolly such a major credit considering his screen time.

Decent watch though, had its moments.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:41 
Time Out for Fun

The documentary about the making of Boondock Saints is better than the movie, it's called 'Overnight'.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 22:59 
INFINITE POWAH

My god I'm looking forward to Star Trek 2 (new reckoning). Watching Star Trek 1 (new reckoning) again now whilst Mrs K watches The Downtons. Even the music is absolutely wonderful. They've taken everything from Star Trek and made it into what Star Trek should have been. AND they've made it so that this is entirely new and replaces the original Star Trek in the space time continuinuinuinum. It's just beautiful.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:15 
Excellent Member

Well, okay, if you say so ..... but others (like me) may disagree. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:04 
Goth

Four_Candles wrote:
Well, okay, if you say so ..... but others (like me) may disagree. :)

The trailer for the new star trek doesn't fill me with confidence. It looks like it might as well be Transformers 4.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:58 
Meh

"klingons in disguise!"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 16:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Four_Candles wrote:
Well, if you say so ..... but others (like me) may disagree. :)

You didn't like the new Star Trek?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 17:54 
ugvm'er at heart...

The Hobbit was actually pretty fucking great, and this is coming from someone who thinks LOTR is boring rubbish and 3D ruins films...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 21:46 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The top ten most worthless movie stars, according to Forbes:

1. Eddie Murphy (movies grossed $2.30 for every $1 paid)
2. Katherine Heigl ($3.40 for every $1 paid)
3. Reese Witherspoon ($3.90 for every $1 paid)
4. Sandra Bullock ($5 for every $1 paid)
5. Jack Black ($5.20 for every $1 paid)
6. Nicolas Cage ($6 for every $1 paid)
7. Adam Sandler ($6.30 for every $1 paid)
8. Denzel Washington ($6.30 for every $1 paid)
9. Ben Stiller ($6.50 for every $1 paid)
10. Sarah Jessica Parker ($7 for every $1 paid)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 0:09 
Sleepyhead

Finally got around to watching Inception.

Really enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 0:16 
Worst

Curiosity wrote:

Really enjoyed it.

That's what they want you to think.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 0:24 
Sleepyhead

throughsilver wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Really enjoyed it.

That's what they want you to think.

*jumps off balcony*

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 15:48 

Just got back from seeing Life Of Pi. Really, really enjoyed it. Also the only 3D film I've seen where I thought it added something rather than just being a distraction.

Also, you'd think it goes without saying but I think that they need to change the messages from before the film to "silence your mobile AND SHUT THE FUCK UP."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 15:56 
Hello Hello Hello

Mr Christmassyfur wrote:
My god I'm looking forward to Star Trek 2 (new reckoning). Watching Star Trek 1 (new reckoning) again now whilst Mrs K watches The Downtons. Even the music is absolutely wonderful. They've taken everything from Star Trek and made it into what Star Trek should have been. AND they've made it so that this is entirely new and replaces the original Star Trek in the space time continuinuinuinum. It's just beautiful.

For some reason I've never got round to watching the new Star Trek, despite it having been on the shelf for months.

I watched it last night, and it was fantastically good fun.

Not very 'Star Trekky' though, it's basically an action-packed sci-fi romp played out in the Star Trek universe.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 19:44 
Worst

markg wrote:
Also, you'd think it goes without saying but I think that they need to change the messages from before the film to "silence your mobile AND SHUT THE FUCK UP."

When I saw Dark Knight Rises, it was a 'adults-only' showing. we didn't have our cocks out or anything, but mobile phone use was outlawed, as well as other annoying shit.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 20:42 

markg wrote:
Just got back from seeing Life Of Pi.

Off to see this in 3D shortly, looking forward to it.

Went to see Jack Reacher the other night, and that's pretty good. No running from Mr. Cruise, but decent action, a great car chase, and a pretty good story.

Trailer is quite misleading though, it's nowhere near the action movie the trailer makes it out to be - for most of it it's more a thriller.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 20:52 
ugvm'er at heart...

Watched Premium Rush tonight. Pretty rubbish really, plagued by the problem of celebrating the utter cuntishness of running red lights and terrorising pedestrians by cyclists, which made it difficult to sympathise with the characters.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 22:43 
INFINITE POWAH

Mirror Mirror is quite good fun. It's not Stardust (what is?) but it's similar fayre.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 22:50 

throughsilver wrote:
markg wrote:

When I saw Dark Knight Rises, it was a 'adults-only' showing. we didn't have our cocks out or anything, but mobile phone use was outlawed, as well as other annoying shit.

There were about three people in there talking all the way through, but not whispering to each other just talking normally. They were about four rows away from us. Had they been any closer I would probably have flown into an impotent rage.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 22:51 
INFINITE POWAH

What does an impotent rage look like? Is it a man cockslapping people with a flaccid johnson?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:08 

Life of Pi is staggeringly beautiful, and despite my reservations that it would be hard to follow (having not read the book or even read a plot synopsis) it isn't at all.

3D is used well, and everything about the film is great - the acting, the story, the visuals, the effects, the pacing - everything. There were a couple of points during the film where I expected things to go a different way, but they didn't - without spoiling too much, that's a good thing, the film would have been a bit too sickly sweet if it had.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:34 
Sleepyhead

"Safety Not Guaranteed" sounds interesting.

Post subject: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:12 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Not sure i want to see Jack Reacher. I love the books. He is meant to be 6'6 and well Tom isn't.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:13 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Unless it's plot relevant that he's 6'6" I'm not convinced it'll matter that much.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:20 
EvilTrousers

Cras Kringle wrote:
Unless it's plot relevant that he's 6'6" I'm not convinced it'll matter that much.

And to be fair his name makes more sense if he is a bit wee? Think of all that stuff on high shelves.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:01 
Worst

markg wrote:
throughsilver wrote:
markg wrote:

There were about three people in there talking all the way through, but not whispering to each other just talking normally. They were about four rows away from us. Had they been any closer I would probably have flown into an impotent rage.

I've told people, quite firmly and calmly, to 'shut it!' before now. There was an indignant glance back at me, but I smiled back at them with the assurance of someone in the right, and it worked.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:03 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Once again, this is why I avoid the cinema these days. You shouldn't have to have adults only showings or to tell people to be quiet. It should just happen.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:06 
Worst

TheVision wrote:
Once again, this is why I avoid the cinema these days. You shouldn't have to have adults only showings or to tell people to be quiet. It should just happen.

I get more annoyed by the prices, in general.

My viewings of the likes of When the Last Sword is Drawn, Scott Pilgrim and Calle 54 more than justify cinema-going as an experience.

I know what you mean, though. I've pretty much stopped going to gigs, as they are far worse for phone use and conversation.

Reply to topic  [ 21127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160 ... 423  Next