Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21084 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 375, 376, 377, 378, 379, 380, 381 ... 422  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:42 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

It's a thing - it's literally called "Minions", so I'm surprised it's not in eBay somewhere. I didn't think it was much cop, but it did have a lot of minions in it, minioning.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:43 
ugvm'er at heart...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINIONS-MOVI ... Sw3JNc97mW

Looks like it was called Minions... :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:44 
Isn't that lovely?

you're not mad

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minions_(film)

I can't find it on Netflix or Amazon Prime though it is available on sky store and the google play movies store.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:51 
Bad Girl

I think the Minions film was called Minions and starred the Minions.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 13:02 
UltraMod

Minnie Onion and the Many Injuns

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 13:07 
Unpossible!

Fillet Minion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 13:11 

Bamba wrote:
Yeah, I was talking about Sandler. It feels to me like Serious Jim Carrey has done more stuff at this point than Irritating Comedy Jim Carrey so I can't take him at face value; whereas Sandler's been a fucking gurning idiot for most of his career so he doesn't get a pass. Probably none of that's true, but it's how it feels in my head.

Sandler is excellent in The Meyerowitz Stories (which is an excellent film.)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 13:32 

Jeez, what a Silly. Saw that one but saw the bit on the side about 3 mini movies so thought that wasn’t it. Cheers, nabbed a used blu-ray for £1.75

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 13:36 

LewieP wrote:
You needn't bother with Ad Astra. Shallow, unengaging characters, story doesn't really go anywhere, and can't match it's contemporaries for spectacle. Bit of a miss fire overall.

Brad Pitt is fine, but it relies way to hard on stilted voiceover, he's doing a Ryan Gosling strong silent thing, but doesn't really pull it off.

Didn't know much about it going in but just that it got okay reviews and it was supposedly 2001 with shades of Apocalypse Now. It was neither, it really is exceptionally dull with no story to tell, a narration that leaves nothing to the imagination, nothing left to ponder. Some parts of it are just weird and out of place, others just make no logical sense at all. It looked quite good but that was about the only good thing I could say about it. If they had even bothered to make sure that the depictions of space flight and physics were at all realistic that would have been something at least but nope. Even with my knowledge gained from GCSE level physics and a passing interest in space flight there was so much of it that was just absolutely fucking stupid and lazy. They wouldn't even have needed to call NASA, just anyone who had ever played Kerbal could have made it twenty times more realistic.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
The distress call and just "stopping off" in a Mars bound ship halfway there to answer it.
The crew killed by angry space monkeys with level 10 zero g skills.
The "secret message" Donald Sutherland gave him that revealed pretty much nothing they didn't tell him in his briefing.
Why did he have to go on a secret mission to Mars just to talk into a fucking microphone anyway?
Being miles away from a nuclear explosion in space as the "main method of propulsion" to fire him back to Earth from orbit around Neptune.
It was all just bollocks, unless all the really good bits happened during some of my long blinks towards the end.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 22:51 
Gogmagog

Spiderman homecoming is pure joy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 22:51 
Bad Girl

I watched Val Kilmer in Top Secret and now I’ve watched Val Kilmer in MacGruber. He got fat.

MacGruber was an SNL sketch about a McGuiver character that was always blown up trying to defuse a bomb. I’ve got a feeling that some of the Lonely Island people were involved. You’ll have to fact check that, mind.

Anyway, it’s not very good. I mean, it’s alright but it’s not really that funny. Maybe that kind of film where you occasionally smile; not in real life either but in your head.

The worst thing about it though is that Kristen Wig must have started her run of terrible films in this. She’s so awesome and talented but, by god, she’s had some duffers.

Oh, Val Kilmer was good though.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 23:34 

Watched Presumed Innocent earlier. Not seen it before, but what a great film.

Harrison Ford with a subtle performance as per usual. Bonnie Bedelia is great as Ford’s wife, and Raul Julia is absolutely stellar as a defence lawyer.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

GazChap wrote:
Bonnie Bedelia is great as Ford’s wife

She plays Calista Flockhart?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:51 
Excellent Painter

GazChap wrote:

Harrison Ford with a subtle performance as per usual. Bonnie Bedelia is great as Ford’s wife, and Raul Julia is absolutely stellar as a defence lawyer

It is good. Try Jagged Edge next, if you haven’t seen that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 17:34 
Sleepyhead

GazChap wrote:

Harrison Ford with a subtle performance as per usual. Bonnie Bedelia is great as Ford’s wife, and Raul Julia is absolutely stellar as a defence lawyer.

Raul Julia was such a good actor.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 22:52 
Bad Girl

Here’s a thing you won’t have remembered:

Max (from 2 Broke Girls) (yes, I know that’s not her real name) was the teenage daughter of the love interest in The 40 Year Old Virgin.

Also that film is still kinda great but probably shouldn’t be woke-tested by today’s standards.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:10 
Comfortably Dumb

The trailer for The Personal History Of David Copperfield was released today

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:21 

Ooh, looks good. Who’s playing Claudia Schiffer?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 21:18 

We watched Papillon, the recent one.

Have you seen the original (Steve McQueen/Dustin Hoffman)? It’s like they remade that, but somehow lost about 30% of the story of the original film, which is odd as the original film was only about 30% of the book. I’d hoped that the film would cover some of the parts of the book that the original film didn’t, but it’s like the writer watched the film but never read the book at all.

The McQueen character (Papillon himself) is played by Byker Grove’s Charlie Hunnam (who I have sat next to on the train. Boy he was beautiful. Queer As Folk had just come out and he was perfect. I had an awful nose bleed, and I think it was his fault. Anyway, then he did that Sons Of Anarchy thing which I’ve not seen but it made him look like he needed a good bath in all of the promo images). Anyway, that Charlie Hunnam isn’t bad at all. He gives a good, straight performance. Perhaps not quite as enigmatic as McQueen, but that’s tough competition.

The Hoffman Character (Degas) is played by Remi Malik. I know he’s the darling genius actor of the moment, but I hated his performance. He’s doing a ‘Dustin Hoffman as Degas’ impression for the entire film. Voice, mannerisms, facial expressions. Just made you wonder why they bothered remaking it. They might as well have digitally lifted Hoffman from the original and jiggers pokeried him into this movie.

I have said for years that the book needed a bit of money thrown at it to be made into a 13 episode Netflix series. There’s enough material in the book(s), easy. This should have been it, then it would have been so worthwhile (well... not Remi Malik... though maybe he wouldn’t have been able to do the impression if he had some new material from the previous film).

The ending had a few original bits of film from the actual prison and deportation of the convicts, and that was incredibly powerful.

Charlie Hunnam never really has a bath. He does have a naked fist fight, though.

5/10. One of those points was for making Russell cry at the end.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 21:34 
Bad Girl

Satsuma wrote:
Mind you, I went to see Midsommar last night.

Now, I think Hereditary is a virtual masterpiece of art and direction. Midsommar is more of the same and it’s great. There’s some really interesting shots that keep the film visually beautiful and some great movement and transitions that make it visually interesting throughout the quite lengthy run time.

The story however is the Wickerman. Even if you don’t know shit about the film before you go in (and I went in blind apart from watching a trailer), once you get past the introduction it’ll instantly click. So you know what’s going to happen (sort of like Hereditary and it’s peers) and you’re just along for the ride waiting for bad shit to happen. There’s lots of silent moments as you wait patiently for ‘something’ but unlike Hereditary there’s no big moments. Normally you’ll just sit there as these very strange otherworldly noises from the soundtrack honk in your face. In fact, I swear some of the soundtrack was in Hereditary. Outside of the soundtrack the performances are great throughout and it does have some comic relief sprinkled about the misery.

But even if the film is some sort of allegory for relationship breakups, when the credits roll you’ll probably sit there and think what the fuck did I just watch. I didn’t feel any of the dread that I felt with Hereditary; I don’t think the story is as strong as that film either and that was a load of bobbins; I just didn’t feel much at all and, for whatever reason, I simply found no pleasure in sitting through Midsommar at all. I’m trying to remember what I thought after I watched the Wickerman. Nope, it’s not coming back. Ah well.

Midsommar: Meh/10

I might have seriously screwed up my opinion on this. I’ve watched it a second time and it was ... a masterpiece?

It was one of those films that stuck with me afterwards, but I didn’t know why. Now I know what’s happening I can just enjoy it for the performances, the visuals, the otherworldly noises and the outstanding small details scattered throughout.

It’s...amazing? So yeah, don’t listen to me. It’s certainly a slow burner though and you’ll probably need to watch it more than once if you don’t get on with it the first time around.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 21:51 
Bad Girl

Also, if you’ve never watched Hereditary or Midsommar and were wondering how fucked up an Ari Aster could be, well, he made a short film way back when called The Strange Thing about the Johnsons.

It’s available on YouTube so, yeah, have fun with that...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 21:54 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I have just got back from the joker film.

I went in not knowing anything about the plot.

That was a lot darker than I expected. Not a comfortable watch. But a great film.

Falling down in face paint. If he does not get an Oscar I will be disappointed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 0:46 
SavyGamer

It's like a shallow cover version of the likes of Taxi Driver, Death Wish etc. Never really got under the surface of the character, didn't really have anything meaningful to say. To it's detriment, there's nothing controversial about any of it. Why were people so worked up?

Except for perhaps that one music choice and what on earth were they thinking with that?!?

I'm glad that Todd Phillips is making more honest movies, at least. He's dropped the pretence of making comedies, and embraced the mean spirited wretched nature of films like The Hangover. There no bad comedy distracting from the despair.

Although perhaps it should have been funny. I liked that Heath Ledger's Joker was funny. He was also terrifying.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:06 

I disagree. It got under the surface pretty well.

You saw his fall from struggling man to the Joker.

It was controversial as it was about mental health. Not just a sane man doing crazy things.

I found it a hard watch because of the material, he had a hard week, his meds were stopped, beaten up, given a gun, friends betraying him.

His mental health issues is what made him the joker.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:32 
Hibernating Druid

Because they're all on Netflix I have watched the Hunger Games series.

First one was ok and then the rest got gradually more meh.

The end.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:47 
Skillmeister

I watched Who Killed Captain Alex this morning. It was very super mafia movie movie movie. 8/10

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 22:13 
Gogmagog

The Invitation: shit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:49 
Hibernating Druid

Dimrill wrote:
I watched Who Killed Captain Alex this morning. It was very super mafia movie movie movie. 8/10

Was it the Swedish House Mafia?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 21:09 
Gogmagog

Cube (1997)(Netflix): hahha bloody great. Not seen it before. Top stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 22:53 
Bad Girl

I really enjoyed El Camino.

My only problem was that it didn’t feel like a “movie” just an above average episode. It was great and I enjoyed seeing Jesse escape (again) but did we need to see it? Especially since Todd had put some weight on... (sorry, it just took me out of the moment on a few occasions is all)

I’m kind of glad it exists but also it was entirely unnecessary.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 23:32 
SavyGamer

Satsuma wrote:

My only problem was that it didn’t feel like a “movie” just an above average episode. It was great and I enjoyed seeing Jesse escape (again) but did we need to see it? Especially since Todd had put some weight on... (sorry, it just took me out of the moment on a few occasions is all)

Pretty much where I'm at, too. Skinny Pete was obv older, too.

In general it was kind of a weird vibe, because it's what 6 years since the show ended, and they just carry on where they left off, and even flash back.

I didn't really believe that Jesse wouldn't have killed Todd one of the opportunities he had to do so. He could have even gone to rescue Andrea & Brock (or I forget, was it just Brock at that point in time).

I also thought it was a little contrived that Jesse felt it was essential to use the same guy to help him escape.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:15 
Hello Hello Hello

I feel almost completely unmotivated to watch it, although I probably will at some point.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:28 

Satsuma wrote:

It felt like an extended episode. Still enjoyed it.

I am tempted to rewatch breaking bad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 14:09 
Bad Girl

I watched “Scary Stories to tell in the Dark” yesterday and can’t remember sod all about it. Couldn’t have been any good then. The beginning was alright but when the scares came (and there weren’t many) it got really tired really quickly. Or I got tired, perhaps. It was late, maybe I fell asleep. I have been a bit under the weather. It seemed like a Stranger Things kinda movie but much crapper. Anyway, Scary Stories to tell in the Dark, I couldn’t give two shits about it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 23:22 
Bad Girl

Is this the Too Many Cooks Guy in Anchorman 2!?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 13:12 
Rude Belittler

Yup. He was also in the new Jumanji.William Tokarsky is his name.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 14:04 
Bad Girl

You’re right (I’m right even). I’d even convinced myself it wasn’t him because the Cooks guy had a bigger forehead.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 20:37 
Bad Girl

The worst thing about Terminator: Dark Fate is that it’s really just another Terminator: Genysis.

It’s alright, I guess, for a retread.

I never want to see another Terminator/Aliens/Predator/Robocop movie. It’s over. I used to look forward to another attempt at a classic and they always disappoint.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 0:16 
Bad Girl

Y’know what’s bugging me, that they tried so hard to have a few comedic lines like in T2: none of them land.

And, oh boy, they try “I’ll be back” or a variant thereof about three fucking times in the same movie. Un-fucking-believable.

What’s so hard with having a mature film with atmosphere and a story about a fucking killing machine that can’t be stopped (for the fifth time again), no they’ve got to take cues from every marvel film.

Thank fuck it didn’t have scenes like this in it though:

https://youtu.be/bEH9W2RdYn4

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:35 
Bad Girl

This bloody film is keeping me up,

I really didn’t like the new John Conner at all - I didn’t like the actor, their acting nor I didn’t think they were believable as the world saviour; their flash forward scenes were terrible and cringe. I didn’t like the new Kyle Reece though - SHE should have been the new John and then bring in another badass as the Kyle.

I don’t think the franchise has anywhere interesting to go if the only formula they have left is an endless chase movie; especially now it always has to end at some large empty facility for the final fight.

I liked the new Terminator actor but I didn’t like the new Terminator concept. He’s a blob man but he’s also got an indestructible skeleton. I mean, it kinda makes sense but the skeleton gets fucking utterly mangled a whole bunch of times and just comes back like it ain’t no thang. I’d have preferred jus sticking to the two classic Terminators, there’s really no need to invent a new Terminator for every new film; it’s always been daft as shit. And apparently this one can blob up working firearms.

Some of the CGI is really impressive (the fake past stuff at the beginning is really impressive. That John Conner fake was amazing, at first glance) but some of it isn’t. I put the problem down to the Marvel effect: everyone has to move, act and fight like they’re a superhero now. I didn’t like it for this film and I just wanted something more grounded.

It’s a cinema movie: it’s a good time but the cinema is the best forum for this; lots of loud noises and explosions. I don’t think it’ll be half as much fun on repeated viewings and on a tv screen.

What the fuck was that story. I’m alright with the new futures and all but:

a) why and how they get a plane was just ridiculous - I’ve never seen a more convoluted excuse for a setpiece in my life; and,
b) Arnie being there was also daft as fuck. The reasons he’d been sending Sarah text messages was stupid. But then again his whole premise was more interesting than this film! Think about it, Arnie does his mission and then rather than just turn off decides to keep living his life somehow. Maybe he thinks he’ll wait for Skynet and do some groundwork on humans and their military capabilities but starts to develop a personality and a conscience and his own moral code. Maybe we follow his progress over a few years until he joins the family he does in the film. Then Sarah finds him. Maybe Sarah is then the unceasing force who wants to kill him and the family he protects. Do a switcharoo. The Terminator is being chased by Sarah and her wrath. I dunno, I just thought that might have been more interesting than what we ended up with (but not as spectacular as two planes fighting each other...).

And there’s clearly so much room for new Terminator films set in the future. Did Salvation fuck it up that bad? well probably yes, but surely someone could do a Logan with that setting. Hnngh. Oh and here’s an even better idea. Show what happens on Judgment day and beyond!? There’s so much possibility there too. It’s hinted at in this and you can feel that it would work as a film. Almost like a disaster film a War of the Worlds type of scenario. Fuck it, make it a trilogy or whatever to get that sweet money, but make it horrible and nasty, isolating and atmospheric. There’s a ton of films doing the start of a zombie outbreak to look to for inspiration. Do that with Terminators rather than retreading old ground again and again but this time with a slightly newer Terminator! This one has braces! This one has a pet sidekick! Etc

So T:DF was a fun movie but ultimately it’s just another big budget disposable cash grab of the Genysis variety.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:57 
UltraMod

Have you thought about watching the first two again? They’re pretty good.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:54 
Comfortably Dumb

Satsuma wrote:
Y’know what’s bugging me, that they tried so hard to have a few comedic lines like in T2: none of them land.

And, oh boy, they try “I’ll be back” or a variant thereof about three fucking times in the same movie. Un-fucking-believable.

What’s so hard with having a mature film with atmosphere and a story about a fucking killing machine that can’t be stopped (for the fifth time again), no they’ve got to take cues from every marvel film.

Thank fuck it didn’t have scenes like this in it though:

https://youtu.be/bEH9W2RdYn4

I'm not even sure why, after the first film, anyone thought "you know what this needs? comedy"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:08 
Unpossible!

Sgt Candy should be the goddam hero of the human race. Legend.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:37 

Quite excited for Terminator now I know Sat doesn't like it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:38 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Quite excited for Terminator now I know Sat doesn't like it.

Same

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 14:01 
Rude Belittler

Me too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 14:18 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I had some time off this week. I watched some movies. STAND BY FOR SOME DETAILED REVIEWS

Alita: Battle Angel - cyberpunk robo-battlin'. For some reason I thought this would be crap like the GitS redux, but it's great. 8/10
Rounders - poker playing and ting. It was fairly entertaining. 7/10
Slamma Jamma - dogshit. 3/10
Shazam - superhero fun times. 7/10
John Wick 3 - I'm not sure why people don't like this. Granted it's not as good as the previous two, but it's still good. 8/10
Easy A - Girl pretends to be the school slut. Has Peyton from iZombie in it. 7/10

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 14:42 

Grim... wrote:
Easy A - Girl pretends to be the school slut. Has Peyton from iZombie in it. 7/10

Easy A is a delight and this score is nonsense.

On a related note, I watched Booksmart a few weeks back. It's fucking brilliant.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 15:20 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I thought 7 was harsh.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 16:28 
Bad Girl

Quote:
Alita: Battle Angel - cyberpunk robo-battlin'. For some reason I thought this would be crap like the GitS redux, but it's great. 8/10

This was brilliant in 3D at the IMAX. I came away having really enjoyed it but wondering if that was just because it was so visually arresting but then I watched a copy on the boring old flat screen and it was still great. Must watch the anime again too.

Reply to topic  [ 21084 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 375, 376, 377, 378, 379, 380, 381 ... 422  Next