Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 337, 338, 339, 340, 341, 342, 343 ... 423  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:49 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Grim... wrote:
Wait, no, turns out the image was discussing the quote after all, it just had the name of another film at the top.

Super-confused that it also uses GazChap's name AARRGH TOPICS YOU CUNTS

The fuck are you talking about?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 13:02 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

GazChap's mention of "fire extinguisher" is a reply to a screenshot of a conversation AE had with someone called 'Gareth' that starts by talking about Escape Plan.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 13:51 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:
GazChap's mention of "fire extinguisher" is a reply to a screenshot of a conversation AE had with someone called 'Gareth' that starts by talking about Escape Plan.

I just wanted to leave the bit in where I call him an elitist.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:02 
Excellent Member

Blade Runner 2049. Movie of the decade.

And Joy is such a babe. :luv:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 22:57 

Icarus

Just clicked this for the poster art and watched it completely cold. Glad I did. What a rollercoaster of a documentary this is. I recommend everyone watch it, but if you must know stuff before spending two hours of time...

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
A ‘top amateur’ cyclist who is JBR’s American cousin talks a bit about how he’s good but not great at cycling, came 24th in the hardest amateur race in the world (basically like the seven hardest days of the TDF back to back) starts talking about superhuman feats of cycling, Lance Armstrong... doping. How he and others got away with it so long

Quickly escalated to him deciding he wants to try doping and see how easy it is to cheat and con the system.

Goes through some shady characters, is put into a Russian doctor and head of the Russian anti coping shrncg who explains how so many people evaded capture. Then tells him how to do it. Then helps him do it.

USJBR is now injecting himself with a cocktail of drugs, races the bike race again, things go wrong and he doesn’t better his position but they have data to adjust his drugs to his performance now.

But then at the same time the Russian anti doping guys are getting sniffed around.

Then the situation escalates and the anti doping guy is forced to resign, panicked a bit because, irk, Putin, goes to America to meet USJBR and then helps blow the whole state sponsored doping secrets into the open. Then other people that helped organise the program start very suddenly dying in suspicious circumstances, then the whole thing goes worldwide, and there are spies, and agents, and FSR(?) or whatever they are now, the FBI, everything just goes crazy and so watch it.

Ah, I’m rubbish at reviews and too much happens. You should just watch it. JBR is nearly in it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 23:40 
Hello Hello Hello

Yes I covered Icarus last year, a truly splendid documentary. Genuinely exciting too, simply because the facts of the case are so absolutely batshit crazy.

https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... 44#p962344

Quote:
ICARUS - A dude called Bryan Fogel set out to make a documentary about doping in professional sport, as he'd been disturbed by high-profile cases such as Lance Armstrong getting away with it forever with apparent ease. The documentary was to be about nothing more than him entering the premier amateur cycle race in the world (think an amateur Tour De France) whilst doping, and getting away with it.

However, during the course of his preparations he's put in contact with a Russian doctor to help him with his doping regime, and ends up blowing the lid on decades of Russian doping in sport, that culminated with Russia nearly getting banned outright from the 2016 Rio Olympics. (And includes astonishing insider reveals of how Russia cheated at the Sochi Winter Olympics with shenanigans that seem to belong in a James Bond film.)

What elevates this film is that Fogel and Rodchenkov are both likeable characters, Rodchenkov in particular is a documentarian's dream, I've seen him described as 'eccentric, garrulous, frequently shirtless, and immensely charming', and it's often easy to forget you're actually watching a documentary.

It takes a serious turn for the sinister when some people involved with the State-sponsored programme start 'dying', and Rodchenkov decides to leave Russia or end up the same way himself, and once in the States agrees to turn witness to blow the whole thing apart.

A truly fascinating watch.

841/1000

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 23:57 

Ah, I searched for Icarus but only saw posts on Kid Icarus. So much happened that I can’t get my head around summarising it at all. You do it far better. Though, I think if anyone’s willing to give a punt to just watching it without too much gore-knowledge then it’s all the better.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:47 
Soopah red DS

Gah! I have avoided Icarus up till now, but I'm going to have to watch it now, aren't I?!

(Note: this is testament only to how much influence you can have, Mimi, and the lovely way you express yourself, not a real GAH. Plus as my dad is an athletics expert I grew up with commentary on elite sport so it is relevant to my interests - which is how come I have heard of it and avoided it, rather than going Whuh?)

Greatest Showman - s'alright. One or two decent songs, all the emotional heft was, for me, in the first half or so, which made it feel a bit unbalanced.

The Party - doesn't outstay it's welcome at 71 mins. Hybrid of play and film, all about the plot and performances, which are great, though you'll be left very short-changed if you want firm resolution.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:10 
sneering elitist

Red Sparrow was intense.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 15:09 
INFINITE POWAH

Annihilation was pretty good. Some of the cgi was a smidge iffy but Natalie Portman was excellent and it was atmospheric and tense.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 15:46 
Sleepyhead

MrChris wrote:
Annihilation was pretty good. Some of the cgi was a smidge iffy but Natalie Portman was excellent and it was atmospheric and tense.

I thought the visuals overall were really well done.

Portman was good, and overall it was, yeah, pretty good.

It’s absolutely nothing like the book(s), which threw me for a bit as I kept on expecting things to happen that didn’t.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 16:20 
Excellent Painter

Curiosity wrote:
MrChris wrote:

I thought the visuals overall were really well done.

Portman was good, and overall it was, yeah, pretty good.

It’s absolutely nothing like the book(s), which threw me for a bit as I kept on expecting things to happen that didn’t.

This is a plus as I thought the book was too similar to Lovecraft for my liking. Still haven’t watched it, though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 22:19 
Bad Girl

I watched the Star Wars 8 again. Visually, it’s spectacular. I liked it loads more than 7 and that Rogue One.

I also watched Austin Powers 2: The Spy Who Shagged Me. Man alive, that film is dumb. I bloody loved it. Heather Graham is spectacular. She should be in more things. Like my bedsheets. YA GETS ME! Fnaar fnaar.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 22:45 
Gogmagog

Mimi wrote:
Icarus

Just clicked this for the poster art and watched it completely cold. Glad I did. What a rollercoaster of a documentary this is. I recommend everyone watch it, but if you must know stuff before spending two hours of time...

A ‘top amateur’ cyclist who is JBR’s American cousin talks a bit about how he’s good but not great at cycling, came 24th in the hardest amateur race in the world (basically like the seven hardest days of the TDF back to back) starts talking about superhuman feats of cycling, Lance Armstrong... doping. How he and others got away with it so long

Quickly escalated to him deciding he wants to try doping and see how easy it is to cheat and con the system.

Goes through some shady characters, is put into a Russian doctor and head of the Russian anti coping shrncg who explains how so many people evaded capture. Then tells him how to do it. Then helps him do it.

USJBR is now injecting himself with a cocktail of drugs, races the bike race again, things go wrong and he doesn’t better his position but they have data to adjust his drugs to his performance now.

But then at the same time the Russian anti doping guys are getting sniffed around.

Then the situation escalates and the anti doping guy is forced to resign, panicked a bit because, irk, Putin, goes to America to meet USJBR and then helps blow the whole state sponsored doping secrets into the open. Then other people that helped organise the program start very suddenly dying in suspicious circumstances, then the whole thing goes worldwide, and there are spies, and agents, and FSR(?) or whatever they are now, the FBI, everything just goes crazy and so watch it.

Ah, I’m rubbish at reviews and too much happens. You should just watch it. JBR is nearly in it.

I wish to watch this. In a similar vein:
Watch "Accidental Death of a Cyclist" about Pantani.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:19 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Satsuma wrote:
I watched the Star Wars 8 again. Visually, it’s spectacular. I liked it loads more than 7 and that Rogue One.

I also watched Austin Powers 2: The Spy Who Shagged Me. Man alive, that film is dumb. I bloody loved it. Heather Graham is spectacular. She should be in more things. Like my bedsheets. YA GETS ME! Fnaar fnaar.

She's one of the better things about the last season of Californication.

And Boogie Nights, obviously.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:33 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

She's one of the better things about the last season of Californication.

And Boogie Nights, obviously.

Some years i convinced my wife to watch "Licence to Drive" which is a dumb 80s comedy that i used to love as a kid. I didn't remember that Heather Graham was on it. Movie became twice as good instantly.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:47 
Unpossible!

Heather Graham is a *terrible* actor. Just awful. But I'd watch her in anything because she's enchanting.

Bowfinger is a career highlight for her I reckon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:00 
Excellent Member

DavPaz wrote:
Heather Graham is a *terrible* actor. Just awful. But I'd watch her in anything because she's enchanting.

Bowfinger is a career highlight for her I reckon

She was a amazing in Boogie Nights, although i don't remember anything about her acting. And I suppose that's a good thing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:03 

JBR wrote:
Gah! I have avoided Icarus up till now, but I'm going to have to watch it now, aren't I?!

(Note: this is testament only to how much influence you can have, Mimi, and the lovely way you express yourself, not a real GAH. Plus as my dad is an athletics expert I grew up with commentary on elite sport so it is relevant to my interests - which is how come I have heard of it and avoided it, rather than going Whuh?)

Greatest Showman - s'alright. One or two decent songs, all the emotional heft was, for me, in the first half or so, which made it feel a bit unbalanced.

The Party - doesn't outstay it's welcome at 71 mins. Hybrid of play and film, all about the plot and performances, which are great, though you'll be left very short-changed if you want firm resolution.

It’s a great documentary, and clearly not the one they set out to make, but all the better for it. That the film-maker becomes SO much part of the developing story by becoming so close to the new protagonist makes it so compelling. As you’ve been avoiding it, you may not *enjoy* it, but it’s certainly hard to stop watching once you begin.

I want to watch The Greatest Showman just because the Ooster on the side of a bus looked very bright and happy over New Year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:05 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Have this as compensation (fingers crossed that giphy comes through)

Giphy "heather graham":
https://media2.giphy.com/media/3ohhwCXo0vATOyCzcs/giphy-loop.mp4

edit: Meh, could've been worse. Two powerhouse actors on screen together, right there!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:10 
Excellent Member

Paul Thomas Anderson is a genius indeed by looking at Marky Mark videos and thinking "I can make him a respectable actor".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:12 
Hello Hello Hello

Heather Graham makes funny things happen in my pants.

Me and Mrs Hearthly used to watch Austin Powers 2 loads when we were pilled up, and Mrs Hearthly would be like 'You fancy her', and I'd say 'Well of course I do' and she'd be like, 'Yeah so do I'.

Unfortunately the threesome I dreamed of never came to pass, for some reason.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:21 
Unpossible!

RuySan wrote:
Paul Thomas Anderson is a genius indeed by looking at Marky Mark videos and thinking "I can make him a respectable actor".

Is he still trying, 'cos Marky Mark isn't a respectable actor, he's a bag of meat with eyebrows.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:40 
Excellent Member

DavPaz wrote:
RuySan wrote:

Is he still trying, 'cos Marky Mark isn't a respectable actor, he's a bag of meat with eyebrows.

Well, he was on a PT Anderson movie, which makes him instantly a respectable actor. Just look at the kind of actors that usually go into his movies: Seymour Hoffman, Daniel Day Lewis, Joaquin Phoenix.....And Marky Mark.

But to be fair, that was a convincing performance.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:41 
Excellent Member

Also, remember when PT Anderson directed a great movie starring Adam Sandler? Well, he can make anyone good it seems.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:42 
Unpossible!

RuySan wrote:

I agree, he played the naive, airhead nice guy very well. Hardly a stretch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:46 
Prince of Fops

DavPaz wrote:
RuySan wrote:

I agree, he played the naive, airhead nice guy very well. Hardly a stretch

Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 21:22 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

MrChris wrote:

I very much enjoyed Annihilation up until the end where it became bizzaroclown nonsense horseshit.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:10 
INFINITE POWAH

The Den of Geek explanation of the ending is even more infuriating. Do yourself a favour and don't read this.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:31 
Soopah red DS

Loving Vincent. Animation that is made up of paintings. Took me a little while to get used to the shimmering and what seemed like a lurch from close up to very unfocused wider view, but by the end I definitely felt the whole thing was a work of art. Over the credits they show some (I assume) of the original Van Gogh paintings from which they took characters (which explained the poses many of them were in initially) and I felt like a philistine for not knowing any of them already, but also very happy for such a quick guide. Story wise, it's about why/how he died. Apart from a little lull in the middle, that was enough to hold my interest throughout.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:44 

JBR wrote:
Loving Vincent. Animation that is made up of paintings. Took me a little while to get used to the shimmering and what seemed like a lurch from close up to very unfocused wider view, but by the end I definitely felt the whole thing was a work of art. Over the credits they show some (I assume) of the original Van Gogh paintings from which they took characters (which explained the poses many of them were in initially) and I felt like a philistine for not knowing any of them already, but also very happy for such a quick guide. Story wise, it's about why/how he died. Apart from a little lull in the middle, that was enough to hold my interest throughout.

I really, really want to see this. I watched a short film on the making of it a while back, and oh my goodness.

I think the ‘shimmering’ of the individual oil frame scenes was dealt with in a similar way to how they worked with the hand-drawn frames of The Snowman, from what I understood of the animation.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 14:14 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

MrChris wrote:
The Den of Geek explanation of the ending is even more infuriating. Do yourself a favour and don't read this.

AARGH. Fucking wankers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:30 
Sleepyhead

Cras wrote:
MrChris wrote:

AARGH. Fucking wankers.

Seems vaguely sensible. That said, I read the books and they’re different from that. I can give a less wanky précis of that if it helps.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:56 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I would be interested, yep

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:34 
Gogmagog

Thor Ragnorak is bloody brilliant.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 14:13 
INFINITE POWAH

Cras wrote:
I would be interested, yep

Also yes please :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 0:03 

Ready Player One is a visual feast. Decent story, decent enough acting (with what little of the real world we see) and with enough pop culture references to necessitate IMDb to buy another server just for its trivia page.

8/10.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:21 
Sleepyhead

GazChap wrote:
Ready Player One is a visual feast. Decent story, decent enough acting (with what little of the real world we see) and with enough pop culture references to necessitate IMDb to buy another server just for its trivia page.

8/10.

Interesting. Both the trailer and the reviews make it look awful.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:51 
Unpossible!

Curiosity wrote:
Both the trailer and the reviews make it look awful awesome.

FTFY.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:01 

Curiosity wrote:

It's not going to win any awards for its plot, and it's not exactly a "thinky" film - it's just a pure popcorn movie IMO but isn't necessarily any worse off for it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:14 
Bad Girl

I watched Annihilation. I thought it was quite good bar a couple of yawnsome plot points.

Hardass woman ties everyone up because she doesn’t know who to trust. Bleurgh. Somehow only those people who want to die are allowed to go wandering in the shimmer. Bleurgh. Self harming gal (who gets the bare minimum of dialogue) just disappears into/in to foilage. Bleurgh. None of the characters are particularly well fleshed out apart from Kiera Knightly. And some of the CGi is a bit dodgy. The 4 day mind wipe at the beginning is never revisited, explained or even has any impact on the film whatsoever. The exposition and, in particular, line about the shimmer refracting DNA made me pick up my phone. Bleurgh.

And that JJ Abrams was allowed to do multiple cameos as giant lens flares.

5/10

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:45 
Sleepyhead

GazChap wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

It's not going to win any awards for its plot, and it's not exactly a "thinky" film - it's just a pure popcorn movie IMO but isn't necessarily any worse off for it.

It just seems, from the trailer, to be a giant game of “Yes, I too can remember things from the past (that we have licenses to)”. With added Willy Wonka.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:49 

Curiosity wrote:
It just seems, from the trailer, to be a giant game of “Yes, I too can remember things from the past (that we have licenses to)”. With added Willy Wonka.

https://twitter.com/electrolemon/status ... 8323280896

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:49 

Curiosity wrote:

There is a lot of that, yes, but apart from a couple of setpieces they tend to be more incidental than full on "HEY, REMEMBER THIS?"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:21 
Excellent Member

The trailer makes it look really cringey and awful, but it's reviewing well so I'll probably give it a shot.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 16:04 
Sleepyhead

Yeah, I’m trying to work out whether I want to see it or not, rather than just shitting on it for the lols.

Probably gonna wait until it is on a respected and entirely legal streaming site.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 15:03 
Comfortably Dumb

As R.I.P.D. was added to Netflix yesterday (or re-added, I'm not sure), I thought I'd give it a go. Enjoyable film, but I think it would have been better as a more adult film, rather than the cartoony violence that gave it a 12A instead.

An interesting mix of films added to Amazon Prime today. I've never seen Ben Hur or the first Blade film so I might give them a go, but I'm steering clear of Little Nicky - a friend of mine thought it was amazing and dragged me off to the cinema to watch it with him. I think it's safe to say we had different tastes as I thought it was complete rubbish.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 15:10 
Excellent Member

devilman wrote:
An interesting mix of films added to Amazon Prime today. I've never seen Ben Hur or the first Blade film so I might give them a go, but I'm steering clear of Little Nicky - an ex-friend of mine thought it was amazing and dragged me off to the cinema to watch it with him. I think it's safe to say we had different tastes as I thought it was complete rubbish.

Feex for the correct resolution here.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 15:11 
Excellent Member

devilman wrote:
An interesting mix of films added to Amazon Prime today. I've never seen Ben Hur or the first Blade film so I might give them a go, but I'm steering clear of Little Nicky - a friend of mine thought it was amazing and dragged me off to the cinema to watch it with him. I think it's safe to say we had different tastes as I thought it was complete rubbish.

5.3 on Imdb, 38 on Metacritic, starring Adam Sandler.

You should find new friends.

Reply to topic  [ 21122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 337, 338, 339, 340, 341, 342, 343 ... 423  Next