Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 423  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 14:07 
baron of techno

Really? What wasn't to like? (OK, the ending was a bit off)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 14:14 

DavPaz wrote:
Wasn't Blade Runner withdrawn from VHS by Ridley Scott for some reason? Or am I confusing it with something else.

Not sure on that one (though I was too lazy to Google), but, possibly you were thinking of this in any case:

Quote:
The British authorities considered the sexual violence extreme, furthermore, there occurred legal claims that the movie A Clockwork Orange had inspired true copycat behaviour, as per press cuttings at the British Film Institute. In March 1972, at trial, the prosecutor accusing the fourteen-year-old-boy defendant of the manslaughter of a classmate, referred to A Clockwork Orange, telling the judge that the case had a macabre relevance to the film. The attacker, a Bletchley boy of sixteen, pleaded guilty after telling police that friends had told him of the film “and the beating up of an old boy like this one”; defence counsel told the trial “the link between this crime and sensational literature, particularly A Clockwork Orange, is established beyond reasonable doubt”. The press also blamed the film for a rape in which the attackers sang “Singin' in the Rain”. Subsequently, Kubrick asked Warner Brothers to withdraw the film from British distribution.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 14:24 
Goth

kalmar wrote:
Really? What wasn't to like? (OK, the ending was a bit off)

What wasn't to like about Daybreakers:

The characters - For a start they were two dimensional and for a second they were incredibly annoying. Especially Willem Dafoe's (and I usually like him). Ethan Hawke looked completely asleep.
The way it was wade - All black and neon so you can't see what's going off. A bit like the Alien Breed remake then. Severe telegraphing of things to come, like as soon as there's mention of the daughter, you know she'll have some significance. It was also directed in a way that made it somehow really boring. There seemed so many cliched elements that you'd seen so many places before. Human banks were totally stolen from the matrix.
Buy Chrysler! - Could they have got that branding any bigger on screen?

Things that were to like:

People dressed nicely and often did their hair nice too. Things like coffee with only 20% blood and whatnot were quite good. That's about it though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 14:48 
baron of techno

The car chase was good! I really liked the sets and the design, and I didn't notice anything much wrong with the direction. The main point was the story and the details thereof though, which I thought was very good.

Oh well, I'd be interested to hear from the hive mind on this one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 23:59 
Goth

Imdb has it at 7.1. Kermode said it was quite good. I just found it incredibly tedious. The dialogue was terrible as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:53 
Excellent Painter

I think this may simply be an example of having too high expectations - every review I've read of it says its B movie hokum, knows it and carries it off with a certain conviction. Expecting it to be a serious horror movie probably would make you think it is a load of bunk, possibly.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:48 
baron of techno

That's probably it. I had *very* low expectations.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:55 
Goth

I was expecting b-movie hokum and what I got was really boring painful b-movie hokum that was trying to be far too serious.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:35 
Excellent Painter

Nirejhenge wrote:
I was expecting b-movie hokum and what I got was really boring painful b-movie hokum that was trying to be far too serious.

Ah well, just console yourself that you weren't sitting behind yourself. At least you could see the screen.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 15:29 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Landis to return to making movies :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8474193.stm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 15:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Quote:
Director John Landis, best known for films like An American Werewolf in London and Trading Places, is returning to filmmaking after more than 10 years.

Hurrah!

Quote:
Andy Serkis will star opposite Simon Pegg in horror comedy Burke and Hare, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

Boo!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 18:59 
Skillmeister

Finally got around to watching A Scanner Darkly this afternoon. I've been avoiding it for ages due to the generally crap way Dick's work has been treated in the past, but by crikey they did an excellent job on this one. 9/10.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:05 
Excellent Painter

Went to see Avatar last night. It's certainly a spectacle. It's too long, the story is plodding and very very predictable. It looks amazing though and no-one should overlook the stunning leap in technology that makes the CGI faces so expressive and lifelike - that alone makes it a worthwhile experience, even if it is a massive tech demo. Goes without saying that the action sequences are stunning as well, this is James Cameron we're talking about and he's no fool. Overall I'd say definitely go see it, be prepared for a cliched but not cheesy story - the story is aeons old in traditional camp fire sense but there's nothing wrong with that as such, the structure is sound. I was more concerned by how cliched the story telling tropes were and the fact that there were no surprises, but maybe that's deliberate as well - it's certainly a ride that you know isn't going to end badly but still manages to be very thrilling for the last 40 mins, so I wasn't that concerned then ;-) But but but, that tech is astonishing - the capability to create CGI creatures that look like there's a soul behind the eyes is very good. This is the first film I've seen in the new fangled 3D and I'm not convinced this film would have lost much if it were not in 3D to be honest, if anything at all. It's certainly entirely superfluous to the story.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 13:59 
UltraMod

I watched Up last night which was fantastic, and then rewatched Bladerunner afterwards. Erm, it's not as good as I remember it being.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 14:10 
SavyGamer

Payback on 5 tonight folks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 14:53 
Excellent Member

Dimrill wrote:
Finally got around to watching A Scanner Darkly this afternoon. by crikey they did an excellent job on this one. 9/10.

:this: plus lovely lovely Winona

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 16:48 
Sleepyhead

DBSnappa wrote:
Went to see Avatar last night. It's certainly a spectacle. It's too long, the story is plodding and very very predictable. It looks amazing though and no-one should overlook the stunning leap in technology that makes the CGI faces so expressive and lifelike - that alone makes it a worthwhile experience, even if it is a massive tech demo. Goes without saying that the action sequences are stunning as well, this is James Cameron we're talking about and he's no fool. Overall I'd say definitely go see it, be prepared for a cliched but not cheesy story - the story is aeons old in traditional camp fire sense but there's nothing wrong with that as such, the structure is sound. I was more concerned by how cliched the story telling tropes were and the fact that there were no surprises, but maybe that's deliberate as well - it's certainly a ride that you know isn't going to end badly but still manages to be very thrilling for the last 40 mins, so I wasn't that concerned then ;-) But but but, that tech is astonishing - the capability to create CGI creatures that look like there's a soul behind the eyes is very good. This is the first film I've seen in the new fangled 3D and I'm not convinced this film would have lost much if it were not in 3D to be honest, if anything at all. It's certainly entirely superfluous to the story.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 16:51 
Excellent Painter

Curiosity wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:

Heh. I tweeted as much last night. LewieP drew my attention to similarities with another film called Ferngully which I've not seen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 16:55 
SavyGamer

Wiki plot synopsis:
The film tells the story of FernGully, a rainforest in Australia. A curious fairy girl named Crysta (Samantha Mathis) sees a part of the world she has never seen before beyond FernGully and believes humans dwell on the nearby mountain Mount Warning. But the wise sprite of the forest and Crysta's motherly figure, Magi Lune, says humans are now extinct. In the opening scene, she says that they fled, driven away by the attack of an enemy known as Hexxus (Tim Curry), the spirit of destruction and all that is toxic to nature, never to return and presumed dead; Hexxus was defeated by the fairies and imprisoned inside a tree. Crysta mentions a black cloud that she saw rising near the mountain, and Magi Lune identifies it as smoke, but nervously dismisses Crysta's speculation that the smoke might be Hexxus, saying "There isn't a force in nature that could release him, and there are no poisons here on which he can feed. Hexxus is trapped for all time." It is implied that Magi shares Crysta's fears, but is afraid to say so openly.

Befriending a mentally unstable yet comical fruit bat named Batty Koda (Robin Williams) who has been experimented on by humans and now has wires and antennas fused into his head, Crysta heads to Mount Warning where she finds dead trees all marked with red aerosol paint crosses, which mark them for cutting. She finds male humans, and accidentally shrinks one named Zak in trying to prevent him from being crushed by a tree. He gets stuck on a spiderweb on the tree that's just about to go through a tree shredder. She tries to get him off but can't when Batty swoops in, grabs them both off of the spiderweb and blames Crysta for her almost getting killed, because she did not listen to him.

Zak (Jonathan Ward) goes on a wild adventure with Crysta and Batty, nearly getting eaten by a hungry Goana lizard named Lou (Tone Lōc), and unexpectedly falls in love with Crysta. Meanwhile, Zak's superiors cut down an enchanted baobab tree that Zak had accidentally painted an X mark on while trying to spray a fly that was buzzing around him. Unfortunately, this turns out to be the tree Hexxus is trapped in, and the cutting down and processing of the tree by the lumbermill-like leveler machine releases him. Determined to get revenge upon the fairies of Fern Gully (specifically Magi Lune) for imprisoning him, Hexxus apparently gains power from the pollution, specifically the energy and smoke produced by the Leveler, as he can be seen "drinking" from it like a liquid. He manipulates the lumberjacks and their tree leveler into tearing down the rainforest in the direction of the fairies by the next morning, thereby destroying the very fabric of their world. He does this under the vocal guise of their boss.

Up until this point, all the fairies have not had a clue as to what danger awaits them. That is until Zak tells the truth about who he is and what the humans are doing in FernGully.

Once the truth is revealed the fairies all join forces and fuse their powers together, creating a protective tree cage. Magi sacrifices herself (giving her power to the fairies and even Zak) and it is up to Crysta and the other fairies to defeat Hexxus. Zak turns off the leveler, causing Hexxus to lose all the energy he was gaining from it and disappear, but he soon rips out of the machine as a giant demonic skeleton creature made of oil that breathes fire. Crysta seemingly sacrifices herself like Magi did by allowing Hexxus to devour her in one bite, and uses her powers from inside him to grow a seed she had with her to again imprison Hexxus (together with the leveler) inside a new tree with help from the fairies led by Pips, thereby imprisoning him again. However, she emerges, unharmed and alive, from a flower soon after. Crysta sadly resizes Zak to normal size and he sets off with his fellow lumberjacks, Tony and Ralph, to try to stop the destruction of the rainforests. Meanwhile, Crysta takes Magi's place after learning finally how to control her powers.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 19:34 
Unpossible!

The Invention of Lying was not as awful as I was expecting. Full on Gervais though, so haters beware.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 20:59 
Time Out for Fun

I thought it was pretty poor, I thought ghost town was ok and I would say invention of lying is worse than that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 21:05 
SavyGamer

Runcle wrote:
I thought it was pretty poor, I thought ghost town was ok and I would say invention of lying is worse than that.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 21:23 
Gogmagog

"Millions" the Danny Boyle film, on last night on Film4 was pretty good. I also got to watch on Friday night "Black hawk Down" which I found to be most excellent, having never seen it before.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 21:35 
That Rev Chap

I am watching the Onechambara movie. It's not as good as the games.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 23:17 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Sherlock Holmes. Haha, brilliant!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:58 
Goth

The Rev Owen wrote:

I have watched that and it isn't really very good. I've seen worse but still..

Might I suggest you watch Tokyo Gore Police? That's also quite crap but it's quite entertaining in a strange way.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:05 

Nirejhenge wrote:
Might I suggest you watch Tokyo Gore Police? That's also quite crap but it's quite entertaining in a strange way.

Tokyo Gore Police is amazing. The version I saw had no subtitles but I don't really think it mattered.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:25 
That Rev Chap

Nirejhenge wrote:
The Rev Owen wrote:

I'll add to the list.

Onechanbara wasn't quite as bad as it should have been, given the shoddiness of the effects, storytelling, etc., but it was still quite fun. 4/10, maybe.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:59 
Goth

The Rev Owen wrote:
Nirejhenge wrote:
The Rev Owen wrote:

I'll add to the list.

Onechanbara wasn't quite as bad as it should have been, given the shoddiness of the effects, storytelling, etc., but it was still quite fun. 4/10, maybe.

That's a fair mark for it. Tokyo Gore Police is probably that sort of level really but the shoddyness of story etc is made up for by it being completely stupid. It's better than Machine Girl from the same people. There's always more going off.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:51 
Hibernating Druid

I think I need this Tokyo Gore Police of which you speak.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:52 

You do, it has a fist gun.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:55 
Unpossible!

markg wrote:
You do, it has a fist gun.

Oh my.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:56 
Hibernating Druid

Sold.

Last fucked up Japanese film I saw was Visitor Q. Now that was, er... indescribably odd.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 20:46 
SavyGamer

This is pretty fucking incredible:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 20:48 
Skillmeister

Ooh, that's grumble star Stacy Adams at 28 seconds in.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 21:27 
Time Out for Fun

Black Dynamite was the best comedy of last year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 22:05 
Excellent Member

Didn't I tell every foo' about Black Dynamite [DYNAMITE!] on account of a highly similar trailer ages ago?

Still not seen it, but I hope it comes out over here. Finally.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 22:06 
Skillmeister

I am watching it now. After... buying it... from..

somewhere open now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 22:07 
Excellent Member

Ahh, yes here we are:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2511&p=141613&hilit=dynamite#p141613

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 0:34 
SavyGamer

Oh hey, they did a sequel to District 13. Any good?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:47 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Much like the first one. So highly entertaining, then.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:49 
SavyGamer

Sexcellent.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 0:19 
Sleepyhead

LewieP wrote:
Oh hey, they did a sequel to District 13. Any good?

I believe they did a prequel set in South Africa, also.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:41 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Ghost in the Shell 3: Solid State Society is pretty fucking good.
It's not insane like some other anime (ie. I could actually understand the ending (step forward GitS1, GitS2 and Akira)) and the scene with Saito doing his sniping was fucking awesome.
The animation isn't all that - certainly not up to Appleseed or the mighty GitS2 standard (in GitS2 you could pause at any moment and it was like looking at an oil painting) as it simply followed on from GitS: 2nd GIG (making GitS2 non-canon in the process).
It's more than worth a watch. But watch the first film before this one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:39 
Unpossible!

Gits. Heh.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:18 

The Princess and the Frog. Forgettable songs and you would of have seen the same buddy/romance fall in love while on a journey story loads of times before.

But there are some nice touches with the animation with a cool bit when the style goes 20's poster art. And I found it amusing in places.

Basically standard Disney, but not poor Disney.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:23 
Unpossible!

If anyone has a spare few hours, an interest in Time Travel movies and a logical mind, you could do worse than lose yourself in this fine website. I have wasted spent many hours there. It's ace.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:22 
Time Out for Fun

Also for time travel film fans, time crimes is pretty good.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480669/

Looks like its going to get an american remake as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:00 
Excellent Member

Watched "Triangle" last night.

A 2009 British-made film (though it's set in the US).

It's a dark mixture of horror, thriller, and "mind-fuck".

Very well made, and gripping because it's extremely atmospheric & creepy, rather than relying on cliched "jump" moments etc.

Nice ending too.

One of those films that probably doesn't hold up too well plot-wise if you disect it afterwards, but I found it thoroughly engaging while watching it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:02 
Time Out for Fun

I watched The Bourne Identity for the second time last night and was equally bored as the first time I watched it. Does it improve in the sequels?

Reply to topic  [ 21131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 423  Next