Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 401, 402, 403, 404, 405, 406, 407 ... 422  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:43 
Can you dig it?

I watched RIPD with Ryan Reynolds and Jeff Bridges.

It was an instantly forgettable diversion, it was not bad but it was not great and probably not even good either, it was just kind of 'there' in an OK and unobjectionable way.

Kevin Bacon was in it, and he had a cool jacket and haircut.

KovacsC wrote:
I watched the Blind side. It has to be one of the best Sandra Bullocks films, and it makes me weep. Sandra's acting is sublime. Her family take in a gentle giant of a boy and it is his story, of how be become a NFL giant.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
The Blind Side is a 2009 American biographical sports drama film written and directed by John Lee Hancock. Based on the 2006 book The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game by Michael Lewis, the film tells the story of Michael Oher, an American football offensive lineman who overcame an impoverished upbringing to play in the National Football League (NFL) with the help of his adoptive parents Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy. It stars Sandra Bullock as Leigh Anne Tuohy, Tim McGraw as Sean Tuohy, and Quinton Aaron as Oher

I really enjoyed this film, it was nice. Although I read that the real Michael Oher didn't like some of how he was portrayed in the film, he was a bit pissed at being portrayed as simpler than in reality.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:51 
Can you dig it?

I also watched Dune (the 80s film) and it was quite good but it looked like it was a struggle to get a big story down into a ~2hr movie. It also managed to look simultaneously both expensive and yet also cheap.

I found it a bit jarring when the actors would do a voice over revealing their characters thoughts, it was a clunky way of providing exposition. Also the shooty bits were pretty cheesy with the silly 'KCHAW' sound they made.

Sting looked pretty cool as Feyd-Rautha though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:45 
Prince of Fops

Watched Spiderman far from home with Fop the Youngest, which was an enormous amount of fun. But as someone who has yet watch any Avengers films beyond Age of Ultron, OMG SPOILERZ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:38 
Gogmagog

Satsuma wrote:
I’ve watched Army of the Dead.

It was ... alright I guess. I knew I wasn’t going to get an actual zombie movie and my brain was firmly turned off before I watched it. But even then it was fucking dumb as shit. This dude is like “don’t touch my chainsaw” and then someone else picks up his chainsaw and he’s like “don’t ever touch my chainsaw” and we have a number of shots with this big chainsaw. It’s big. It’s round. It looks like the saw spitter from Dead Space. It looks big and nasty and you can tell bodies are getting gibbed in a fucking major way.

He never uses the chainsaw.

3/10

I liked it. It was well made enough, dumb as rocks, and entertaining 7/10 at least!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 13:18 
Unpossible!

A perfect score!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 13:53 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Sir Taxalot wrote:
I also watched Dune (the 80s film) and it was quite good but it looked like it was a struggle to get a big story down into a ~2hr movie. It also managed to look simultaneously both expensive and yet also cheap.

I found it a bit jarring when the actors would do a voice over revealing their characters thoughts, it was a clunky way of providing exposition. Also the shooty bits were pretty cheesy with the silly 'KCHAW' sound they made.

Sting looked pretty cool as Feyd-Rautha though.

It certainly had the David Lynch treatment. Definitely a bit weird in places, with some odd deviations from the book (e.g. that voice enhanced weapon was not in the book as was silly in the film) , but that's hardly surprising as it IS big story so you have to expect some artistic license.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 22:39 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Every time I'm channel hopping and Good WIll Hunting comes up, I HAVE to watch it ...AGAIN.

I really love that film except for one thing.

Skylar.

Never, in the history of the England, have English parents ever called a daughter Skylar, ffs.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 23:02 
Soopah red DS

Warhead wrote:
Every time I'm channel hopping and Good WIll Hunting comes up, I HAVE to watch it ...AGAIN.

Skylar.

Never, in the history of the England, have English parents ever called a daughter Skylar, ffs.

I worked with a Skylar, in Kent.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 23:44 
Noob as of 6/8/10

JBR wrote:
Warhead wrote:

Skylar.

NeverRarely, in the history of the England, have English parents ever called a daughter Skylar, ffs.

Did her husband cook blue crystal meth?

Or was it really Skylark? Hippy parents may well call a daughter Skylark.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 0:16 
Soopah red DS

Warhead wrote:
JBR wrote:
Warhead wrote:

Skylar.

NeverRarely, in the history of the England, have English parents ever called a daughter Skylar, ffs.

Did her husband cook blue crystal meth?

Or was it really Skylark? Hippy parents may well call a daughter Skylark.

Definitely Skylar. However, I have not been entirely open about the gender, because that was a changing situation. So you are still technically correct, at least from this example, but one could argue the situation has changed. I think (I left 4 years ago, after all).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:18 
Can you dig it?

There are 2 children called Skylar in my daughter's class. We are not in England, and the film was made a long time before those kids were around so I'm not sure where I'm going with this.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:46 
Noob as of 6/8/10

OK. When I Googled Skylar, I found that it’s
Quote:
‘of English origin. Skylar means “noble scholar.” A variant of Schuyler, the name has quite a few other spelling variations out there including Skyler and Skyllar.

Her popularity is hard to gauge given her host of alternative spellings, but the Skylar variation peaked at number 42 in 2015. Parents love her spunky look, her inner Y and Sky- start standing apart from the crowds of vintage classics making a comeback,”
but this is from a U.S. website.

Wikipedia says :
Quote:
The name Skyler or Skylar (/ˈskaɪlər/) is an Anglicized spelling of the surname and given names Schuyler and Schuylar.

Schuyler was introduced into America as a surname by 17th century Dutch settlers arriving in New York.[1] By the 19th century, in honor of members of New York's prominent Schuyler family such as Philip Schuyler, the surname had entered use as a given name; for example, Schuyler Colfax (1823–1885), the 17th Vice President of the United States.

The spellings Skyler and Skylar came into fashion as either a masculine or feminine given name in the United States during the 1980s. As of 2016, both names are more common for females, but Skylar is most strongly associated with females (the 42nd most common name for females and the 761 most common for males born in 2016)[2] than Skyler (the 359 most common name for females and the 414 most common for males born in 2016)[3] The spelling Schuyler ceased to rank among the top 1,000 names for boys in the United States after 1994, when it was at 974th place on the charts.[4]

Good Will Hunting was released in 1997, and Breaking Bad was 2008 and a graph of it’s popularity shows no significant use of the name before 1986. I suspect that it’s use in Good Will Hunting was specifically because the character was a scholar.

So..... although I’m sure there are SOME Skylars in England, it’s likely they’ve been as a result of parents being fans of Good Will Hunting or Breaking Bad, but I’m struggling to find UK stats to support this theory at the moment.

But my contention is that English parents are far less likely to give their children stupid first names, but some thing more quaint, like Mini Driver ............ oh shit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:58 
Unpossible!

Do you mean Amelia Fiona Jessica "Minnie" Driver?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:16 
Gogmagog

In Good Will Hunting, Minnie Driver's joke in the pub is one of the best bits of any film, ever.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:56 
Noob as of 6/8/10

DavPaz wrote:
Do you mean Amelia Fiona Jessica "Minnie" Driver?

I do, and therefore QED, she hasn't really got a stupid name at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:58 
Noob as of 6/8/10

MaliA wrote:
In Good Will Hunting, Minnie Driver's joke in the pub is one of the best bits of any film, ever.

Possibly. I also really like the other scene in the bar where Will humiliates that history tosser.

There are many excellent scenes in this film, which is why I always end up watching it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:17 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Sequel looked good, too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:58 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Crazy. This page shouldn't be working, but it obviously is.

Attachment:
Screenshot_20210624-125642_Firefox.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:49 
Soopah red DS

F9.

It has only just occurred to me that that is the "fast forward" function key on a mac. Given Hollywood's love for the Apple, this cannot be coincidence, can it?

As for the film, if you need a review, you're probably not going to see it. Missed Hobbes and Shaw, VD is a bit much as the big man on his "own" (he's not actually alone).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:03 
Soopah red DS

Wrath of Man. Guy Ritchie does DC, compared to Lock Stock's Marvel. Solid, but glum. "You just concentrate on putting your asshole back in your asshole" is the highpoint of writing, akin to the best rejoinder Star Wars could find to "They fly now?" being "they fly now!" An extra 10 minutes work on the line, maybe? Still, it's alright.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 22:41 
Bad Girl

Chris Rock was the worst person for the new Jig/Saw movies. In fact, whoever was the casting director needs shooting in the dick hole.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 22:44 
Bad Girl

Looks like Chris Rock had some hand in developing the character… that’s why he’s so terrible then. Cause this muthafucker hasn’t got a single interesting character trait that we haven’t seen before in a bazillion shit cop movies.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 22:47 
Bad Girl

Urgh, the dialogue is fucking cringe.

Samuel L Jackson says “whatchatalkinaboutWillis?”

And

“Are you hungry n****? Do you want a slice?”

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 22:50 
Bad Girl

The Lieutenant walks into every single scene like she’s stepping onto a set to shoot a new L’Oriel advert. Man, her hair be shiny.

She also looks like she’s been dressed by the dev team from the Resident Evil games.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 22:55 
Bad Girl

The flashback moustaches are fucking HILARIOUS.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 23:26 
Bad Girl

Seems Chris Rock has decided not to wear latex gloves to open vital evidence any more. Despite being a super cop with a drinking and swearing problem and a habit of bending the rules but being morally in the right who drives a flash car. Oh and wife left him. Obv.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 23:28 
Bad Girl

Oh look the fit L’Oriel lieutenant has had to take her jacket off to expose her white vest and great tatties. Had to.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 23:30 
Bad Girl

Chris Rock panic running looks like me when I need a bad shit and I’ve just pulled up on the driveway and my folks have come to visit.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 23:54 
Bad Girl

Spiral: Book of Saw, I’m not saying it was bad, but, boy, that was bad.

Obv.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:55 
Best
Board Mother

I didn't realise this was out. Despite your review, I still want to watch it. :P

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 22:26 
Best
Board Mother

Satsuma wrote:
Spiral: Book of Saw, I’m not saying it was bad, but, boy, that was bad.

Obv.

Can't argue with any of that. I could add to your list, but won't.

Ridiculous.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:18 
Hibernating Druid

Wanted a shortish film to watch last night so after a quick flick through the Netflix menu I jumped into #Alive, a South Korean zombie film.

There's a glut of Zombie films at the moment and I've seen shed loads already but I really enjoyed this one, highly recommended.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:19 
Hibernating Druid

Quite fancy Spiral: Book of Saw next.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:10 

We watched 1917 a few nights ago. It was a bit meh. The gimmick is that it’s supposed to look like it’s filmed in one take. It’s not, and so you spend half of the film noticing where the cuts and transitions are. The acting is, for a significant amount of time, quite poor.

Last night we watched Yesterday. It’s a silly film, but it’s sweet, sometimes gently funny. If you can stand to do so I’d say you should go in blind and watch it (it’s on Netflix) without knowing the premise, if you don’t already know it. The main actor (I think his name is Himesh Patel) is just wonderful, and is very watchable.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

There's a film called Victoria that was filmed in one shot, and it's also surprisingly good. It's got more of a theatre feel to it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:00 

Birdman was also marketed with the idea that it was filmed in one shot (when it clearly isn't) but they do an absolutely stellar job of hiding the transitions, I think I only noticed one and that was because someone had pointed it out to me beforehand.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:03 

Agree about 1917. I got bored of the story and characters and spent the time in the cinema trying to work out how various effects and shots were made. That's the kind of thing you look out for on the third or seventh run through, not the initial viewing in the cinema. It was too clever for its own good.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:36 

Grim... wrote:
There's a film called Victoria that was filmed in one shot, and it's also surprisingly good. It's got more of a theatre feel to it.

I’ll look to see if I can find it steaming somewhere. I can understand why it does feel like a bit like a theatre production.

I once saw a short piece on his they hid the cuts on that U2 video that’s supposed to look like one take. I can’t remember what the song was but I know the video had a parade of elephants. Because of that I had a good idea of where the cuts were, I think. Obviously any time they pass through anywhere unlit and there’s a momentary blackness, explosions, passing by walls and pillars, camera rushing to extreme proximity and back out again, spins and the like.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:39 
Unpossible!

The U2 song was "The Sweetest Thing"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:52 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I quite enjoyed 1917 but I saw it at the cinema, and I seem to be amazed easier and more forgiving at the cinema, than watching at home (not sure why). Except for Independence Day, that is shit on every format...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:57 
Gogmagog

DavPaz wrote:
The U2 song was "The Sweetest Thing"

With Boyz One

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 14:51 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

KovacsC wrote:
Except for Independence Day, that is shit on every format...

You fucking what?!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 14:55 
ugvm'er at heart...

He missed a "the"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 15:07 

Grim... wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Except for Independence Day, that is shit on every format...

You fucking what?!

I just hate it... I know it is irrational.. I found it to be a dull paint by numbers action film..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 15:16 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

OUT

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 15:18 

Oh.... it is every Sci-fi film in one!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 23:49 
Gogmagog

Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard is an absolute riot. Can't recommend it enough

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:45 
Hibernating Druid

I watched Army of the dead.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:53 
Decapodian

The Tomorrow War is ok. A solid 6.5/10 but it’s still really nice to have something new and properly cinematic to watch.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:36 
Prince of Fops

5am Bedtime is a wonderous watch. Indescribable levels of self loathing and fatigue, abated by watching children playing goat simulator. 1 star.

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 401, 402, 403, 404, 405, 406, 407 ... 422  Next