Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165 ... 423  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 0:36 

If I go to see it and it's rubbish:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 0:39 
Comfortably Dumb

WTB wrote:
That's some high praise. Are you sure?

It's certainly not as good as the Untouchables - I just mean it's along the same lines.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 0:45 

I WANT HIM DEAD!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:13 
SavyGamer

Hmm, I've not seen The Untouchables. I think I shall watch that next.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DerekFME wrote:
Also Grim... if you can make it all the way through that film you're a stronger man than I am.

Which one?

The Chaperone was much better than I thought it would be, but still not very good. It had some good moments, and Trip actually did quite well in it. The last third was fucking stupid, though. Also, he only hit four people, and didn't Pedigree any of them!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:03 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Rubbish! The Rock often manages a Rock Bottom in his films (or he did in his earlier films anyway).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:15 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

TheVision wrote:
Rubbish! The Rock often manages a Rock Bottom in his films (or he did in his earlier films anyway).

I NO RITE?

He even did one in Star Trek: Voyager to Seven of Nine.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:18 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DerekFME wrote:
i saw Safety Not Guaranteed today. It's got april from parks and recreation in a lead role. It's about some magazine people doing a story on someone who placed an ad about going back in time. It's sweet and heartwarning but nothing out of this world. It's more a film about relationships than anything else. Worth renting or streaming but don't make an effort to see it.

I'm watching that now. Nearly at the end.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I want the time machine to work, dammit!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:27 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Yeah, that was pretty good.

On to The Watch!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 21:15 
Comfortably Dumb

Just watched The Expendables and... it was ok. Nothing more *flees banhammer*

(Why does Stallone have so much makeup on at times? He looks like a panto dame)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 21:19 

I thought it was pretty "meh" as well! It's a mediocre action flick. It's no Under Siege.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 21:28 

I think mediocre is generous. It's a really, really terrible action flick propped up to mediocre by a load of special guest stars phoning in nods and winks to films that were ok.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 22:05 

The Expendables 2 is awesome though, if only for the jabs at Dolph Lundgren for being all educated and shit, and becoming a coked out muscle-man ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 23:32 
Hello Hello Hello

So then, this evening's choices....

1) Expendables 2

2) Django Unchained - the second hour

I'm gonna go with the Expendables 2.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 23:36 
Gogmagog

Woman in Black: Radcliffe is good and fights against a shite script. 5/10 so twice as good as Green Mile.

Post subject: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 23:40 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Just watched Taken. Good film although reminds me of a Jack Reacher story

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 0:07 
baron of techno

Morte wrote:
Django Unchained.

Excellent, on first viewing I reckon it to be the best thing he's done since Jackie Brown. The 'bag' scene could be dropped into Blazing Saddles, brilliant and very funny. Possibly it's has one scene of slaughter too many at the end but that's a minor quibble.

Is this a sequel to Django sukiyaki western? Because that was utter unwatchable shite...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:32 
Worst

kalmar wrote:
Morte wrote:
Django Unchained.

Excellent, on first viewing I reckon it to be the best thing he's done since Jackie Brown. The 'bag' scene could be dropped into Blazing Saddles, brilliant and very funny. Possibly it's has one scene of slaughter too many at the end but that's a minor quibble.

Is this a sequel to Django sukiyaki western? Because that was utter unwatchable shite...

No. QT film.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:02 
baron of techno

throughsilver wrote:
kalmar wrote:
Morte wrote:
Django Unchained.

No. QT film.

So was that!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:44 
Worst

kalmar wrote:
throughsilver wrote:
kalmar wrote:
Morte wrote:
Django Unchained.

No. QT film.

So was that!

That was Miike.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 13:13 
Hello Hello Hello

I managed another 30 minutes of Django Unchained last night.

It's really not setting my world on fire.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 17:54 
Hello Hello Hello

Die Hard downgraded to a 15!

Is nothing sacred?

Attachment:
dh.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 18:54 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Watched Expendables 2 last night...not sure what everyone's whinging about, if you take it for what it is, an updated 80s action film, it's pretty good and very enjoyable...recommended, just don't expect too much from it.

Before hand I watched The Hobbit, I've put off watching this as I was afraid I'd be disappointed by it...how wrong I was. Don't know if it was lowered expectations but I really enjoyed it and was surprised that even with its length I didn't it feel it dragged at all. I really enjoyed it (and breathed a sign of relief).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 19:41 
Worst

Django Unchained is excellent; just seen it. I usually have beef with long films, but didn't even feel it in this case. Cast, cinematography, story - all balls-out. And loads of black women. I was in heaven.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 13:23 
a creature of fathomless grace

Morte wrote:
Before hand I watched The Hobbit, I've put off watching this as I was afraid I'd be disappointed by it...how wrong I was. Don't know if it was lowered expectations but I really enjoyed it and was surprised that even with its length I didn't it feel it dragged at all. I really enjoyed it (and breathed a sign of relief).

:this:

I really enjoyed it, and almost wasn't ready for it to end! Was most surprised as I found all of LOTR dragged and frustrated me for the most part.

Want more elves, though!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 13:27 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Agree that parts of LOTR did drag but there is no excuse for more elves...in fact one of the reasons I think I liked it so much is that it showed them up as a bunch of ponces who wouldn't help the dwarfs as they might get a ladder in their tights.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 13:29 
Gogmagog

Fucking elves.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 13:38 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

As C.S. Lewis famously told Tolkein as JRR was reading to him the section of "The Fellowship of the Ring" were Aragorn and the hobbits meet up with Glorfindel outside Rivendell.

"Oh fuck, not another elf!"

Probably apocryphal but a goody none the less.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 13:44 
a creature of fathomless grace

:p

They definitely weren't put in a favourable light - perhaps good story wise / cinematically, not so good for someone into all things elvish, glittery and beautiful ;) I'm the kind of gal who wanted Arwen's pendant and tiara 10 years ago - and to be fair would quite happily wear them now!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 13:56 
Hibernating Druid

Watched the Avengers on Saturday.

Very good Superhero film. Helped a lot by Scarlett Johansson's costume department.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 13:59 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Agree on both points.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 17:46 
Excellent Painter

OK, I've taken another one for the team. Got taken to see Les Miserable. It's apparently 2.5 hours long, but feels a lot longer. I can't in all honestly recommend it unless you're a huge fan of the numbness in your glutes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 17:49 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

DBSnappa wrote:
OK, I've taken another one for the team. Got taken to see Les Miserable. It's apparently 2.5 hours long, but feels a lot longer. I can't in all honestly recommend it unless you're a huge fan of the numbness in your glutes

This is pretty much what I concluded after seeing the play for real. It had Gareth Gates in it.

I didn't understand what was happening throughout.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 18:33 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

I feel about The Glums like I did about The Hobbit...real apprehension. I have a 'None Traditional Males' level of love for the musical theatre and The Glums is my favourite by a long way (what's not to like, big operatic numbers, really depressing, nearly everyone dies and the two most objectionable characters in it come out of it richer than ever before and knock about in high society). But I have a terrible fear that it may butcher some of favourite tunes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:14 
Sleepyhead

My sis, who went to Mountview and trod the boards, says it is brilliant. She said Hathaway and Jackman were superb, though Crowe is a bit meh. The musical numbers are all good, especially Hathaway and Jackman's again, and she said the only disappointment was that 'One Day More' wasn't quite as good as she hoped.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:57 
Rude Belittler

LotR is clearly Elrond's fault, if he wasn't such a pussy he'd have just booted the human geezer into the lava right there and then...

Fucking elves.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 17:56 
Excellent Member

So, The Impossible.

(Spoiler free-ish)

It opens with a jet roaring in low over the ocean towards a distant paradisical shore. Coincidently, the speed of a tsunami crossing the ocean is the same as that of a commercial jet. As the film of one family's experiences during the Asian Tsunami unfold, countless little echoes both visual and aural occur. None of these are forced. They can be a simple as a bouncing ball or a scrap of paper, or a soft drink. Some events seem like a premonition, until realisation sets in that the scope of the disaster is so great that there's really no obvious difference in outcome between standing in two different places or being delayed by a trivial matter. The sea shrugs its shoulders and washes over with equal indifference. It makes a mockery of the Emmerich school of disaster where the hero turns a corridor and escapes the flaming debris, or through hard running reaches the rung of a helicopter. The disaster in The Impossible is literally out of the blue.

In the short time we get to know the family prior to the event, it really hits you how perfect a Christmas holiday was for these people. The warm thoughtfulness behind the resort staff's desire for each family to have a special time and the sheer beauty of the Thailand coastline makes the opening twenty minutes oddly effecting. Standard disaster movies generate an impatience prior to the cataclysm, but The Impossible allows the viewer to share a Christmas and Boxing Day morning. It seems all the more brutal, sudden and unfair when it all changes. The acting helps, naturally. Ewan McGregor is on top form as the father, warm, wry, thoughtful - as is Naomi Watts as the mother. They don't have character traits as such, they don't need them - nor do the children. The eldest son, Lucas, is a touch rebellious, but no more than the average kid in his very early teens. There's nothing soap-opera about them. They do not stand out as special or different. Unlike most disaster movies, there is no impending domestic crisis or event.

A word on the boy playing Lucas, Tom Holland. I can't think of a better child actor since Christian Bale in Empire of the Son. He's so incredibly natural and unforced and his emotional outbursts are perfectly done. He carries the movie, if it needed carrying. There is not one weak link in the acting.

The film is more about the immediate aftermath and the emotional trauma rather than a spectacle, spending much of its time in the wreckage and in the swamped, over-burdened hospitals of Thailand. The tsunami itself however is probably the most chillingly real spectacle since the tornadic long shots of The Wizard of Oz. There's nothing of the CGI about it. It is a tangible, brutal, wall of water. Rough, bubbling, racing ahead someplaces, confused and hesitant in others but surging forward with a horrible weight. It's filmed nearly entirely from ground level and the injuries it deals aren't skimped over. There's a lot of mangled debris under that slick surface.

But the majority of the film is about hanging on, about trying to combat helplessness, about hope and despair. There's a movement and rhythm and truth to the emotions of the holidaymakers in the wake that is as compelling - indeed more so - than any special effects sequence. Criticism has been thrown at the film by some critics for its focusing on Westerners abroad. But in watching the film you realise that their story needed to be told. Just seeing the logistics, the fraught native nurses trying to cope with the tide of casualties, the dazed expressions on the wandering victims faces. There's thousands upon thousands of them. The casualties didn't stop with those who died, just as the disaster didn't stop when the waters receded and the harm to the islanders hasn't stopped in the last eight years.

It's a hopeful film all the same. There's horror, but a lot of beauty and kindness. The people of Thailand come out wonderfully in it, and I guess it is they, as much as the scenery, that has made their coastline such a potent haven for tourists. It is a sad film, and masterful at managing (not manipulating) emotions. I cried three times at least. It is very well judged and has a graceful ending. There's nothing showy about it also. If there was one criticism I could level it would be that the strings in the score pile on too much during once scene, and that a more muted score would have benefited the film more. Still, this is one powerful reminder of the Boxing Day experience and definitely worth a watch. Might not be a film of the year but I'm damned if I can find a flaw in it.

Five out of five.

P.S: Positive Craster rating not necessarily a good thing in this one!

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 20:46 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

On my way to work today I realised I was nearly out of things to watch - I had the first episode of series 2 of American Horror Story, but I didn't want to watch that as my tablet is rather 'exposed' in the morning and I figured it would be rude (and I was right).

So the only thing left was a film about American Football called Undefeated. God knows why I downloaded it, I have little interest in American Football (I'm fairly sure I've never watched a match), but hey ho. I quite liked Wildcats, I guess.

Anyway, Undefeated is a documentary, and it's wonderful. It follows the senior team of a small high school in a really poor area of the USA - only a handful of the players had parents that had been to college and all of them had close family that had been in prison at some point. It's certainly worth watching, even if you have no interest in the sport - I never thought I'd be getting so choked up by the speeches of a fat American coach, or because a giant of a student barely scrapes a pass on his final exams. It's worth two hours of anyone's time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 20:47 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cor, it won the Best Documentary Oscar!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 21:39 
ugvm'er at heart...

I love all that sort of shit, added to the downloadatron

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 22:50 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:

If you like that you'll probably really 'Friday Night Lights', a film that Lord Rixondale showed for meal and movie and which I found really and unexpectadly compelling:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_Nig ... %28film%29

'tis also about a college football team in a dirt poor Texan town.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 22:53 
Gogmagog

NervousPete wrote:
Grim... wrote:

If you like that you'll probably really 'Friday Night Lights', a film that Lord Rixondale showed for meal and movie and which I found really and unexpectadly compelling:

i think that is also a series on tv now too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 23:08 
ugvm'er at heart...

MaliA wrote:
NervousPete wrote:
Grim... wrote:

You mean the Emmy award winning series, and quite simply one of the best TV shows of recent times? That Friday Night Lights?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 23:15 
Gogmagog

Trooper wrote:
MaliA wrote:
NervousPete wrote:
Grim... wrote:

You mean the Emmy award winning series, and quite simply one of the best TV shows of recent times? That Friday Night Lights?

i might do but i have been drinking.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:17 
Goth

NervousPete wrote:
So, The Impossible.

(Spoiler free-ish)

It opens with a jet roaring in low over the ocean towards a distant paradisical shore. Coincidently, the speed of a tsunami crossing the ocean is the same as that of a commercial jet. As the film of one family's experiences during the Asian Tsunami unfold, countless little echoes both visual and aural occur. None of these are forced. They can be a simple as a bouncing ball or a scrap of paper, or a soft drink. Some events seem like a premonition, until realisation sets in that the scope of the disaster is so great that there's really no obvious difference in outcome between standing in two different places or being delayed by a trivial matter. The sea shrugs its shoulders and washes over with equal indifference. It makes a mockery of the Emmerich school of disaster where the hero turns a corridor and escapes the flaming debris, or through hard running reaches the rung of a helicopter. The disaster in The Impossible is literally out of the blue.

In the short time we get to know the family prior to the event, it really hits you how perfect a Christmas holiday was for these people. The warm thoughtfulness behind the resort staff's desire for each family to have a special time and the sheer beauty of the Thailand coastline makes the opening twenty minutes oddly effecting. Standard disaster movies generate an impatience prior to the cataclysm, but The Impossible allows the viewer to share a Christmas and Boxing Day morning. It seems all the more brutal, sudden and unfair when it all changes. The acting helps, naturally. Ewan McGregor is on top form as the father, warm, wry, thoughtful - as is Naomi Watts as the mother. They don't have character traits as such, they don't need them - nor do the children. The eldest son, Lucas, is a touch rebellious, but no more than the average kid in his very early teens. There's nothing soap-opera about them. They do not stand out as special or different. Unlike most disaster movies, there is no impending domestic crisis or event.

A word on the boy playing Lucas, Tom Holland. I can't think of a better child actor since Christian Bale in Empire of the Son. He's so incredibly natural and unforced and his emotional outbursts are perfectly done. He carries the movie, if it needed carrying. There is not one weak link in the acting.

The film is more about the immediate aftermath and the emotional trauma rather than a spectacle, spending much of its time in the wreckage and in the swamped, over-burdened hospitals of Thailand. The tsunami itself however is probably the most chillingly real spectacle since the tornadic long shots of The Wizard of Oz. There's nothing of the CGI about it. It is a tangible, brutal, wall of water. Rough, bubbling, racing ahead someplaces, confused and hesitant in others but surging forward with a horrible weight. It's filmed nearly entirely from ground level and the injuries it deals aren't skimped over. There's a lot of mangled debris under that slick surface.

But the majority of the film is about hanging on, about trying to combat helplessness, about hope and despair. There's a movement and rhythm and truth to the emotions of the holidaymakers in the wake that is as compelling - indeed more so - than any special effects sequence. Criticism has been thrown at the film by some critics for its focusing on Westerners abroad. But in watching the film you realise that their story needed to be told. Just seeing the logistics, the fraught native nurses trying to cope with the tide of casualties, the dazed expressions on the wandering victims faces. There's thousands upon thousands of them. The casualties didn't stop with those who died, just as the disaster didn't stop when the waters receded and the harm to the islanders hasn't stopped in the last eight years.

It's a hopeful film all the same. There's horror, but a lot of beauty and kindness. The people of Thailand come out wonderfully in it, and I guess it is they, as much as the scenery, that has made their coastline such a potent haven for tourists. It is a sad film, and masterful at managing (not manipulating) emotions. I cried three times at least. It is very well judged and has a graceful ending. There's nothing showy about it also. If there was one criticism I could level it would be that the strings in the score pile on too much during once scene, and that a more muted score would have benefited the film more. Still, this is one powerful reminder of the Boxing Day experience and definitely worth a watch. Might not be a film of the year but I'm damned if I can find a flaw in it.

Five out of five.

P.S: Positive Craster rating not necessarily a good thing in this one!

I agree entirely with this. I know there's loads of criticism about it not being about the entire event and focusing on a nice white family but I think that isn't the issue. And I think there has to be the practical element that if you spend a lot on a movie you need to get people to go see it. Having big (ish) name stars like Ewen MacGregor and Naomi Watts in it helps get people in through the door. It's the most powerful and emotional film I think I've ever seen at the cinema. If I'd seen it last year it would have been my film of the year. It's hard to say if it will manage to be my film of the year for this year... but it's going to be hard to top.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:21 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

@Grim... Do you think that you're more tolerant of films on your commute because you'd otherwise be doing nothing?

Would you watch this stuff at home for instance?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:56 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

TheVision wrote:
@Grim... Do you think that you're more tolerant of films on your commute because you'd otherwise be doing nothing?

Would you watch this stuff at home for instance?

I wouldn't watch it at home because I'd play on my PC or my Xbox (or lay under a car) - so yes, I'd say I'm far more tolerant, and I watch stuff that I'd normally never touch. I often see what's popular on ("IMDB" - Ed) and grab that.

It doesn't mean I can't tell bad films from good films, though, so don't let that put you off watching Undefeated.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:00 

Grim... wrote:
It doesn't mean I can't tell bad films from good films, though

The Expendables, 'nuff said.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:01 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

markg wrote:
Grim... wrote:
It doesn't mean I can't tell bad films from good films, though

The Expendables, 'nuff said.

Hell yeah! Awesome film.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:15 
Excellent Member

Me: "Guess you guys must be pretty sick of all this talk about the Expendables by now, huh?"

Grim: "No one who'd seen The Expendables would say that. Get him!"

Reply to topic  [ 21127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165 ... 423  Next