Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 ... 423  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:38 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Ender's game will be a tough film to make. It's pretty unpleasant, really.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:41 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Also - Gravity

Quote:
George Clooney and Sandra Bullock star as a pair of astronauts who survive the destruction of an orbiting space station, and struggle to find a means of survival in a debris-strewn vacuum.

Oh god. It's Open Water in space.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:44 
Sleepyhead

Elysium all the way, for me. Even with Matt Damon in it looks awesome.

And then yer man can make District 9.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:48 
Sitting balls-back folder

HOLYFUCKINGSHITCUBEBLURAYOHMYGOD.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:50 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

BikNorton wrote:
HOLYFUCKINGSHITCUBEBLURAYOHMYGOD.

Amazeballs cubes!!

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 18:28 
Hello Hello Hello

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
I tend to agree with you (I'm still annoyed that Jurassic Park was cut down from a 15) BUT, how much are we missing out on given that what's cut from the films you're talking about is basically just gratuitous violence? They can't all be (and don't need to be) A Serbian Film.

Why is it necessarily 'gratuitous' violence?

If the violence is contextualised then it's not gratuitous, in the first Taken the harder cut featured a much harsher torture sequence as well as more 'robust' combat/fighting sequences, but Neeson was trying to save his daughter's life after all, so it didn't feel over the top to me. The violence was contextualised and we understood what was driving Neeson's character, his daughter's life depended on him taking out the baddies.

The problem with cutting to a certificate is that in general it doesn't really change what's going on, in Taken 2 he's still going to kill a load of people and there's still a torture sequence in there, they've just been cut and cut until the censors say 'Yeah that'll do for a 12A', so you end up with a film where the story and theme just don't match up with what you're seeing and hearing.

It's also a very cynical cash-grabbing exercise, in that they can take the money at the cinema, and then sell it again as an 'EXTREME UNSEEN EDITION' on DVD/Blu-Ray. Now in the past these editions of films were reserved for when they were cut even at the highest rating in the cinema, so where the MPAA would make cuts for an R, the DVD could be unrated. Over time the BBFC have chilled out too, so stuff that was cut for 18 at the cinema can now be released uncut on 18 DVD, I'm fine with that.

What I'm not fine with is taking a film like Taken 2, which is clear R/15 (maybe 18), and cutting and cutting it until it hits PG-13/12A, taking TEN MINUTES out of a film to hit that cert is clearly absurd, I mean, the director damn near says as much that the cinema version is fucked and you'll have to watch the unrated DVD to see it properly.

Point is, Taken 2 didn't need to be cut, they could have released it at the 'proper' rating and that would be it, job done. Instead we get a shit version in the cinema and then to see it properly we have to buy it again on DVD/Blu-Ray.

Certain films suit a certain level of violence, Star Wars suits cartoony violence, Robocop suits harsh adult violence, Remains of the Day needs no violence at all, Rocky or Indiana Jones suit 'teenage' violence, and so on.

Where I get pissed off is films being artificially reduced to hit an artificial certificate point.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 19:09 
INFINITE POWAH

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
I tend to agree with you (I'm still annoyed that Jurassic Park was cut down from a 15) BUT, how much are we missing out on given that what's cut from the films you're talking about is basically just gratuitous violence? They can't all be (and don't need to be) A Serbian Film.

Why is it necessarily 'gratuitous' violence?

If the violence is contextualised then it's not gratuitous, in the first Taken the harder cut featured a much harsher torture sequence as well as more 'robust' combat/fighting sequences, but Neeson was trying to save his daughter's life after all, so it didn't feel over the top to me. The violence was contextualised and we understood what was driving Neeson's character, his daughter's life depended on him taking out the baddies.

But the film would have worked perfectly well without the extra violence, no?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 19:24 
Hello Hello Hello

Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Well no, not really.

I mean, you could make that argument about any film with violence in it.

Would Aliens have worked perfectly well if we hadn't seen the full horror of the initial encounter with the aliens on LV-426?

Would Seven have worked perfectly well if the camera cut away every time we were about to see the results of one of the crimes?

Would Robocop have worked perfectly well if all we ever got to see was the ITV version?

The rage of Neeson's character in Taken is important, as an audience we empathise with him and his situation, we want the catharsis of seeing him take out the baddies, and if that gets a bit violent, then so be it - his daughter's life hangs in the balance.

What we don't want to see, surely, is him walking up to a baddie, half-perform a killing move with the sound effects dubbed out, and then see the baddy dead on the floor - it's a cheat, it's a con.

You may as well finish Star Wars as Luke enters the trench and put a caption up on the screen that reads 'LUKE BLEW UP THE DEATH STAR AND THEY ALL LIVED HAPPILY EVER AFTER.'

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 19:30 
Goth

Dimrill wrote:
Ooh! Ooh! They's showing it at the Electric in Brum on the 23rd of November. ENGAGE TEMPTED GLANDS.

Oooh it's showing in Sheffield too late october. DEFINITELY GO TO THAT.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 19:38 
INFINITE POWAH

Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Well no, not really.

I mean, you could make that argument about any film with violence in it.

Would Aliens have worked perfectly well if we hadn't seen the full horror of the initial encounter with the aliens on LV-426?

Would Seven have worked perfectly well if the camera cut away every time we were about to see the results of one of the crimes?

Would Robocop have worked perfectly well if all we ever got to see was the ITV version?

The rage of Neeson's character in Taken is important, as an audience we empathise with him and his situation, we want the catharsis of seeing him take out the baddies, and if that gets a bit violent, then so be it - his daughter's life hangs in the balance.

What we don't want to see, surely, is him walking up to a baddie, half-perform a killing move with the sound effects dubbed out, and then see the baddy dead on the floor - it's a cheat, it's a con.

You may as well finish Star Wars as Luke enters the trench and put a caption up on the screen that reads 'LUKE BLEW UP THE DEATH STAR AND THEY ALL LIVED HAPPILY EVER AFTER.'

None of those are real equivalents to what we're talking about, though.

Aliens worked perfectly well without any gore, didn't it? Alien didn't have that much other than one scene.

Neeson's "rage" could be well demonstrated without seeing the inside of someone's body. What you're complaining about isn't stopping the film before anything happens (your death star example), you're complaining that you don't see enough.

Basically you just want to see as much violence as possible. Which is fine, you know, but it's not an argument about artistic integrity you're making.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 19:39 

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
I just watched Prometheus. I was massively underwhelmed. What was the point?

:this:

Yeah, me too, as of last night.

What a bloody disappointment. Just think what they could've done; instead we got this tosh. Glad I didn't bother with the cinema on this.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 19:40 
INFINITE POWAH

Captain Caveman wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

What a bloody disappointment. Just think what they could've done; instead we got this tosh. Glad I didn't bother with the cinema on this.

What's even more sad is they're making a sequel.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 19:43 

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Well I suppose they had to. So many unanswered questions re. the original film (which was awesome, obv.), let alone the new questions posed.

In summary, I basically thought it was about as much use as tits on a snake.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 19:47 
INFINITE POWAH

Captain Caveman wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Well I suppose they had to. So many unanswered questions re. the original film (which was awesome, obv.), let alone the new questions posed.

Well, p'raps, but none of the questions were very interesting this time around.
Quote:
tits on a snake.

The film even Samuel L Jackson wouldn't touch.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 19:51 
INFINITE POWAH

Right - I need a sci fi film to watch because mrs K has got into Grey's fucking Anatomy and is hogging the xbox. RMD me do me do.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 19:53 
Hello Hello Hello

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
None of those are real equivalents to what we're talking about, though.

Aliens worked perfectly well without any gore, didn't it? Alien didn't have that much other than one scene.

Neeson's "rage" could be well demonstrated without seeing the inside of someone's body. What you're complaining about isn't stopping the film before anything happens (your death star example), you're complaining that you don't see enough.

Basically you just want to see as much violence as possible. Which is fine, you know, but it's not an argument about artistic integrity you're making.

Eh? Hang on, you're making a big leap from what I actually said to 'you just want to see as much violence as possible'. The harder cut of the original Taken felt right to me, it wasn't gratuitous or sadistic, it was appropriate for the story and the characters and the theme. They could have made it a lot more grisly and gruesome if they'd wanted to (the torture scene for example was still relatively tame in the grand scheme of things), but there was no need for it and I didn't want it.

And I'm not talking about 'seeing the inside of someone's body' either, I'm talking about jarring cuts that break the flow of the film (I used to work as a VT Editor, that shit sticks out a mile to me), audio replacement/reduction, jumps in the narrative because stuff is flat-out missing, that kind of thing.

Remember we're not talking about some kind of hardcore snuff film with Taken 2, by all accounts it would have been an entirely uncontroversial R in the States and most likely a 15 in the UK, but instead it's been well and truly neutered to make it fit a certificate category where it doesn't belong.

I don't lust after violent films, one of my Top Ten Ever films would be Remains Of The Day, which is basically Anthony Hopkins talking with Emma Thompson for a couple of hours, certificate U. I do however want films to stay true to their story arc, their characters, their motivations, and hacking ten minutes out of Taken 2 breaches that standard.

The artistic integrity of a film is compromised, pretty much by definition, when the director's vision for the film is fucked with by a studio, be it for reasons of censorship or to attain a particular certificate, or to give it perceived mainstream appeal. (For example, the narration track and fake happy ending for Bladerunner, which Scott had to accept at the time as he didn't have the clout to push through his vision for the film.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 19:56 
Hello Hello Hello

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Right - I need a sci fi film to watch because mrs K has got into Grey's fucking Anatomy and is hogging the xbox. RMD me do me do.

You seen Source Code? That's pretty good.

And Moon, directed by the same guy.

Or you could rewatch Wrath of Khan, that film stands up to rewatching several times over.

Or Bladerunner, if you haven't seen that for a while, it's easy to forget how fucking good it is.

I enjoy rewatching old favourites as much as I do watching good new films.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 19:57 
Unpossible!

Compare Die Hard 4 with the unrated version as a good example of a film ruined by ratings changes. It was scripted and shot as an adult movie, then cut to ribbons (mainly in the language department) to make the big bucks of the teenager market.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 19:59 
INFINITE POWAH

Mr Kissyfur wrote:

You seen Source Code? That's pretty good.

And Moon, directed by the same guy.

Loved Moon - will give Source Code a go, although it's that gyllenhall guy, isn't it?

Quote:
Or you could rewatch Wrath of Khan, that film stands up to rewatching several times over.

Or Bladerunner, if you haven't seen that for a while, it's easy to forget how fucking good it is.

I enjoy rewatching old favourites as much as I do watching good new films.

I watched Judge Dredd last night. Top 90s tastic. I too like rewatching stuff but I'd like to watch something new. Preferably with pew pew in it.

Davpaz - was it really? I loved that film.

there's a new one coming out soon(ish)!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 19:59 
Unpossible!

If you haven't seen the uncut version, you owe it to yourself to do so.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 20:02 
INFINITE POWAH

DavPaz wrote:
If you haven't seen the uncut version, you owe it to yourself to do so.

Is it just extra swearies?

How would one go about watching the uncut version?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 20:05 
Hello Hello Hello

If you've not seen Source Code then definitely fire it up, it's a good, smart, 'proper' sci-fi film.

Read this spoiler after you've seen it:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
THE ENDING IS COMPLETELY FUCKED UP. The film basically ends perfectly, and I mean PERFECTLY about three minutes before it actually finishes, then there's the most awful, evil, pointless, 'happy' ending tacked onto it which isn't happy anyway because... well Cracked already did it, basically.

Just pretend that the film ends in the freeze frame with Colter kissing Christina, and it's damn near perfect.

http://www.cracked.com/funny-8158-source-code/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 20:14 
Unpossible!

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
If you haven't seen uncut version, you owe it to yourself to do so.

Extra swears. Extra action. Adult themes. Angry words.

It's available on dvd I believe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 20:15 
Hello Hello Hello

DavPaz wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
If you haven't seen uncut version, you owe it to yourself to do so.

Extra swears. Extra action. Adult themes. Angry words.

It's available on dvd I believe

You just want to see as much violence as possible, YOU ANIMAL.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 20:15 
Unpossible!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000R4M ... mdp_mobile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 20:45 
Hello Hello Hello

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Loved Moon - will give Source Code a go, although it's that gyllenhall guy, isn't it?

Did you watch it yet?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 20:51 
INFINITE POWAH

Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Did you watch it yet?

Watched the first 10 minutes yesterday on the laptop on putlocker, then realised I could watch it on the Xbox on lovefilm. Going to watch it with Mrs K this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 23:44 

cube is dispatching soon! Also cabin in the woods! But cube!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 23:45 

fucking CUBE!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 23:45 
INFINITE POWAH

MIB3, halfway through, is most, most excellent.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 23:58 
INFINITE POWAH

"Just cos you see a black guy in a car doesn't mean it's stolen..... alright, I stole this one."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 0:03 

CUUUUUUUUUBE!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 0:05 
INFINITE POWAH

Pish with your cube.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 0:06 

you've not seen Cube have you?

Though actually, given the intervening 15 years, you wouldn't understand.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 0:09 
INFINITE POWAH

I actually have, yes. It was most passingly entertaining.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 0:21 

You are dead to mCUBE!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 0:23 
INFINITE POWAH

I'll avoid the cheesewire room.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 13:38 
SavyGamer

From the director of In Bruges:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 21:27 
Hibernating Druid

I've just thoroughly enjoyed Moon.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 21:43 
Hello Hello Hello

Zardoz wrote:

Yeah Moon is fab, watch Source Code next, directed by the same guy.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 21:48 

same guy WHO IS DAVID BOWIE'S SON.

We watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Weird but cool.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 23:01 
Hibernating Druid

Zardoz wrote:

Yeah Moon is fab, watch Source Code next, directed by the same guy.

I'll add that to my list, but the next film I'll be watching is Big Man Japan.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 23:53 
Hello Hello Hello

LewieP wrote:
From the director of In Bruges:

This one is already very much on my radar, as In Bruges is a stunningly good film.

There are some accounts of it losing its way in the final act though, just like In Bruges did.

(I pegged In Bruges as a solid 10/10 all the way through, then the last fifteen minutes dropped it down to a 9/10.)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 0:22 
Excellent Member

Skyfall (Bond) reviews are starting to come in...

4 out of 4 positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes as I type this :

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/skyfall/

Plus there's Empire's 4-star review which hasn't been added to Rotten Tomatoes yet :

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/rev ... FID=137076

Thought Casino Royale was ace, but Solace was piss-poor in general.
This sounds like a return to form. Fingers crossed....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:27 
Hello Hello Hello

Haven't seen Solace, I just avoid films that are generally regarded as bad and drag a series down - (for example, I've watched The Matrix but have quite deliberately avoided Reloaded and Revolutions and have never watched one single frame of either of them, so to me The Matrix is still that perfect standalone film, completely unbesmirched by unnecessary sequels) - Casino Royale was fantastic though, and it looks like Skyfall is superb too.

I'll just wait for the unrated/director's cut DVD, as doubtless it'll take a bit of a kicking at the hands of the censors for a 12A in the UK and maybe to get it down to a PG-13 in the States. (Doubtless it'll be listed as 'uncut' at the cinema but for big films like this the distributors always take pre-submission advice on an early cut and thus deliver a version that doesn't need any further cuts.)

Even if the cinema version is actually the proper version, I still see no reason to endure the cinema these days, when we've all got big tellies and 5:1 sound setups at home, and we can pause a film if we need a piss, and we don't have to endure noisy cunts eating crisps and sweets and fucking around with their phones at home.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:06 

Seven Psychopaths looks excellent.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:53 
Hibernating Druid

Big Man Japan

Bought this for £3 in HMV based on the cover and comments alone.

Not as good as I thought it would be, but entertaining enough. The ending is 8) :DD.

I award it a C+

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:37 
Excellent Member

Watched Cabin in the Woods last night and it was excellent. Hilarious and fucked up at the same time with an excellent cast and fittingly bleak ending. Good stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:57 

I saw it at the cinema and am waiting for the BluRay to arrive as we speak.

Mostly I'm waiting for the CUBE half of the package though. CUBE CUBE CUBE CUBE.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 20:20 

Films fae the weekend...

Moon, meh. :shrug:
Predators, was neither pish or gid. ?:|
Machete, well gid. :metul:

Reply to topic  [ 21126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 ... 423  Next