Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122 ... 423  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:54 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I liked Killer Elite, and the whole reveal of what it was based on blew my tiny little mind.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:54 
Time Out for Fun

myps pies wrote:
This looks awesome:

I think it might be on the Lovefilm streaming thingy, if you get Lovefilm.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:01 
baron of techno

Is it possible to get the Lovefilm streaming without the DVD-through-the-post thingy? Because I used to have that and it eventually hacked me off enough to cancel it.
I can only see a £10/month option which includes the DVDs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:03 
Hibernating Druid

Wullie wrote:
"Up" was gid, made me greet a bit.

Yeah, it's a film that makes the room go dusty. Bloody good.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:04 
Time Out for Fun

I think I saw a £5 a month online streaming only one on the packages on the Xbox360 app.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 13:56 
ugvm'er at heart...

Zardoz wrote:
Wullie wrote:
"Up" was gid, made me greet a bit.

Yeah, it's a film that makes the room go dusty. Bloody good.

I know it's a bit of a tearjerker anyway, but it was also the last film I was planning to watch with me mum (I used to bring round films for us to watch while she was ill) before she passed away. No chance I can ever watch that film now! :(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 14:36 
SavyGamer

I thought Drive was excellent. Not without it's problems, but brilliant overall.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 20:21 
Worst

myps pies wrote:
This looks awesome:

Doesn't seem any better than it did on page 184. :(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 21:49 
Unpossible!

He's not reading... fuck me, near on six thousand posts!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 14:38 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Please for the love of god do it...

Anyways I watched the new Conan film a few days ago, not as abysmal as I thought it might be but still not very good.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 0:18 
ugvm'er at heart...

LewieP wrote:
I thought Drive was excellent. Not without it's problems, but brilliant overall.

Just watched it.

Pretty good, very stylish and I want to say style over substance, but it did have substance there too. The only problem was that it was slow, achingly slow in places.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 0:57 
INFINITE POWAH

Just watched the Bridesmaids. Hehsome.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 23:24 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I saw The Thing last night. It was pretty good, but it kept making me want to watch other films, like Dog Soldiers (one of the greatest films of all time) or The Shining.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 23:26 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Mr Christmassyfur wrote:

I watched it last night. Followed by Captain America. Very good film night.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 23:58 
Excellent Member

KovacsC wrote:
Mr Christmassyfur wrote:

I thought Bridesmaids was awful. There was the occasional funny part in it but it really, really didn't live up to the hype for me. I found myself cringing at how painfully they tried to wring the comedy out of it. Bleugh. Horrible.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:17 
INFINITE POWAH

flis wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Mr Christmassyfur wrote:

I thought Bridesmaids was awful. There was the occasional funny part in it but it really, really didn't live up to the hype for me. I found myself cringing at how painfully they tried to wring the comedy out of it. Bleugh. Horrible.

I tried to watch it from the point of view of MaliA, and enjoyed it a lot more as a result.

However, it struck me as an attempt at the Hangover from a female perspective, and it fell down a bit. Mrs K enjoyed it, I heh'd a fair bit (although some of the "Isn't it amusing to portray the usual male stuff from the female's perspective, and how shit men are, especially at sechs!!"!!11!!" got a bit old) but wouldn't watch it again.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:14 

I was also quite meh on Bridesmaids. It lost me really early on, when Wiig and Rudolph we having lunch and chatting. The dialog didn't feel natural to me; it seemed stilted. It felt like a SNL sketch where the actors were winking at your from behind the characters. That sort of thing doesn't usually bother me, particularly in comedy (I'm find with Alec Baldwin's performance on 30 Rock for example), but I found it grating in that scene and I couldn't settle into the film afterward.

The broad comedy moments like
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
pooping in the street in a wedding dress

didn't work for me either. I've read that Apatow pushed for those to be added and they weren't in the original script.

Still had its moments though. Chris O'Dowd was good value, as ever.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:30 
Gogmagog

Mr Christmassyfur wrote:
flis wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Mr Christmassyfur wrote:

I tried to watch it from the point of view of MaliA, and enjoyed it a lot more as a result.

However, it struck me as an attempt at the Hangover from a female perspective, and it fell down a bit. Mrs K enjoyed it, I heh'd a fair bit (although some of the "Isn't it amusing to portray the usual male stuff from the female's perspective, and how shit men are, especially at sechs!!"!!11!!" got a bit old) but wouldn't watch it again.

MrsA quite enjoyed it, but said it was like "Hangover for Girls". I didn't go with to see it, as I was too busy building my Armed Hang Glider Pheasent Melee Flying Machine.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:34 
Hibernating Druid

I already knew, but re-watching the Gene Wilder 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' yesterday confirmed how much better it is than the Johnny Depp version.

Gene Wilder is absolutely amazing in this film. The tunnel scene is batshit fucking mental.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:35 
INFINITE POWAH

Zardoz wrote:
I already knew, but re-watching the Gene Wilder 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' yesterday confirmed how much better it is than the Johnny Depp version.

Gene Wilder is absolutely amazing in this film. The tunnel scene is batshit fucking mental.

Really? I thought GW was as much of an overacting pudding as Depp. The kids hated it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:37 
UltraMod

Zardoz wrote:

Totally agree.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:39 
Hibernating Druid

Mr Christmassyfur wrote:
The kids hated it.

Oh yeah?! My kids loved it. Ms Z hated the Johnny Depp version (got creeped out by it) but she sat through the original version and loved it. Plus it has the Candy Man song near the start so extra points for that too.

Post subject: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:49 

Mr Christmassyfur wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

Really? I thought GW was as much of an overacting pudding as Depp. The kids hated it.

I don't know if it's possible to 'overact' the role of Wonka. I think the difference between Wilder's performance and Depp's attempt is that Wilder gives the impression of a detachment from the outside world whereas Depp's character is completely alien to the outside world. With Wilder you always feel like the character is acting the way he does because, at the end, he has a positive aim for the good, but you lose that in Depp's performance, so the redemption seems too distant to make the character likeable.

I love the Gene Wilder film, but didn't like the Johnny Depp version much at all.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 13:11 

Another GY quick-fire round-up

Another Earth - As an exact copy of our planet appears in the sky, stereotypical indie movie girl drives into a family car, killing pregnant wife and child, but leaving musician husband to go all wrong in grief. Eventually free from prison, girl seeks to make amends, all the while there's this other earth hanging over. I loved it to pieces. Impecaqble performances, though be warned, this is one of those 'long shots of a person's face, just being a face' films. Highly recommended if you can get over that, though. A philosophical minefield, the macguffin works very nicely.

The Change-Up - One of the least worst body swap comedies I've seen, one excellent pair of breasts and a whole series of truly awful ones. Some jokes. Reasonable acting for the genre. No need to avoid seeing this.

Inbetweeners Movie - Predictable series denoument via Kevin and Perry. Worth watching for the chubby girl who is gorgeous, or if you like the Inbetweeners.

No Strings Attached - Portman and Kutcher in commitmentphobia-com. Fair play, she's an absolute delight in this and Kutcher fails to annoy. It's got the most telegraphed plot in the world but that doesn't detract from the chuckles, the sweetness or the general feeling of surprise at how much I loved this one.

Just Go With It - Adam Sandler gets 'plain' (glasses on, hair tied back) employee Jennifer Anniston to pretend to be his missus so he can pull some pneumatic blonde. Guess what happens? I must confess to enjoying this one greatly as well, and would have done so even if the hula competition between Nicole Kidman and Jennifer Anniston wasn't in it. But it is, gods be praised.

Fright Night (remake) - Farrel is an awesome vamp-neighbour, Yelchin makes a great Charlie, McLovin' plays Evil Ed the way he plays everyone and Tennant phones in a decent turn as Vincent. Happily the love interest is Imogen Poots (Cracks, 28 Weeks Later), who just gets harder to watch with every film, she's so mesmeric. A bloody good remake.

One Day - Finally, I have a new Truly, Madly, Deeply. One day a year over 20 years in the lives of star-crossed lovers. Completely gut-wrenching at times, the conceit of people who can't sort it out in drama is so often tea-chuckingly irritating but when it works, as it does here, it'll kill you. Hathaway's northern accent might be 'all over the place' as some critics have said, but so was my heart... and I didn't notice at all. Awesome film. Wept like a teased vagina.

Martha, Marcy, May, Marlene - Olsen twin's younger sister Elizabeth (actually a rather bloody good actress) runs away from a cult and stays with her sister and husband in big house by a lake. She goes mental. Tough viewing, epic lead, big things to come, well worth the effort.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 19:53 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I'm watching Megamind. So far the soundtrack has included Back in Black and Highway to Hell by AC/DC, and Crazy Train by Ozzy. Aces!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 23:06 
Isn't that lovely?

Was just watching that with my kids, but then it got too late, and they had to go to bed.

Got to the bit where Megamind
has just blown up the museum to Metroman
must be about half way through...

quite good so far.

Malc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 23:45 
ugvm'er at heart...

Watched Moneyball. For some reason I love baseball films, especially if they are based on true stories (yet I've never watched a whole baseball game in my life) so this should be right up my alley.
Moneyball was ok, but not helped by pretty much every character being unlikeable. Story was great and it was well acted, but the screenplay and direction was ponderous to say the least.

6/10

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Malc wrote:
must be about half way through...

Christ, no-where near. That's fairly early on.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:14 
Ready for action

Huh, I posted about megamind but it must not have sent. I watched it tonight as well, enjoyed it. Santa Claus the movie is on ITV tomorrow morning at 10am...sky+ set!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:20 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

You did post about Megamind. You were admiring the soundtrack.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:32 
Unpossible!

3 films watched last night - Elf, Arthur Christmas and The Nightmare Before Christmas. A theme has developed.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:14 
Unpossible!

Btw, Santa claus the movie is on at 9:30

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:27 
Sleepyhead

Watched 'Home Alone 2' yesterday. Absolutely hilarious. Had forgotten how good it is.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:07 
Goth

It's a Wonderful Life - Firstly it's rather long and it feels like it. Secondly the God stuff bothers me. It feels like a movie that is fine to doze off to on a christmas afternoon without necessarily missing much. There seems an awful lot of padding. It could easily have been 90 minutes and had the same message. Having said that though James Stewart is brilliant in it and I thoroughly enjoy the message of the film. I find it hard to consider it a true classic when I compare it to the likes of Mr Smith Goes to Washington, which is astonishingly incredible.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:28 
ugvm'er at heart...

Film day today I think.

Mrs T has actually requested to watch Star Wars! I think she must have bumped her head or something, but I'll make sure we watch it before I take her to the hospital...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:06 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

GovernmentYard wrote:
Inbetweeners Movie - Predictable series denoument via Kevin and Perry. Worth watching for the chubby girl who is gorgeous, or if you like the Inbetweeners.

I watched this the other day, too. It was a bit ‘meh’ — a few funny bits, but overall pretty generic and predictable. I expected a bit more from it.

The chubby girl was pretty, in the face.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:28 
Excellent Member

DerekFME wrote:
It's a Wonderful Life - Firstly it's rather long and it feels like it. Secondly the God stuff bothers me. It feels like a movie that is fine to doze off to on a christmas afternoon without necessarily missing much. There seems an awful lot of padding. It could easily have been 90 minutes and had the same message. Having said that though James Stewart is brilliant in it and I thoroughly enjoy the message of the film. I find it hard to consider it a true classic when I compare it to the likes of Mr Smith Goes to Washington, which is astonishingly incredible.

STOP BEING PARTIALLY WRONG!

The best line in this film is:

"Merry Christmas Mr Potter!"

"And a Happy New Year to you too... IN JAIL!"

I find the God stuff very endearing, actually. I also can't see any padding. I also am guaranteed to cry when:

Old Man Gower finds out about the poison capsules. "Please don't hit my ear again!" "Oh no! No! George!"
The bit where Stewart breaks down in the chair, clutching his kid.
They all come in with the money.

The scene where Stewart walks along the train platform to his brother after having heard his brother's new wife telling him about his excellent prospects if he leaves town, is some of the best face-acting ever. Buried rage, ultimate disappointment, final acknowledgement and acceptance and then putting on a brave face.

I don't think there's one duff or unnecessary scene in the film apart from:

George's wife becoming an old maid in Potterville, and thus, yes, a library assistant. WITH GLASSES! ARGH!

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:47 
SavyGamer

Yeah, I thought inbetweeners film was pretty weak compared to the series, which is only OK.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 23:32 

Just watched Super. Ellen Page is so wrong I could soil myself. Dear Christ.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 23:50 

I took my little brothers to see the very first Harry Potter film when they were seven. I've never seen or even glimpsed any of the others. I've been close to buying a box set a few times, but keep thinking that I should wait until the last installation and buy the entire series then.

I received the full box set yesterday! I cannot WAIT to sit down with popcorn and blanket.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 23:51 

Also, we introduced a couple of 80 year olds to the magic of The Princess Bride today, and they loved it. :luv:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 0:53 
Comfortably Dumb

Today I decided to watch The Sixty Day. I've got Shutter Island and Inception to watch, but wanted something shorter. Not a great film though - the plot was ok, but the acting pretty useless, the goons idiotic and the one liners pretty hopeless. Still, it was only 99. Picked up Spider-Man 2 and 3 for the same price too.. my local Cash Converters is serving me well.

Oh and I've ordered a few films from Play's sale today. If anyone was after the A-Team, it's only £2.99 on there.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:16 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

GovernmentYard wrote:

Weird film, that. She is indeed utter crazy filth, mind.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:16 
Sleepyhead

GovernmentYard wrote:

I watched 'Juno' yesterday, for the first time.

Great movie, and she's awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:23 
Unpossible!

Juno was a steaming turd. Too much manchild

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:38 
Kvnt

Craster wrote:
She is indeed utter crazy filth, mind.

Like in a bad way?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:39 

DavPaz wrote:
Juno was a steaming turd. Too much manchild

:this: Horrid precocious awfulness.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:37 
Goth

@pete re-it's a wonderful life.

I find much of the introduction very plodding. I don't like the bits with the stars/angels talking. I find the scenes with mary pre-incident very slow and laborious. The middle section of the film is largely okay but seems to largely cover the same ground over and over. Didn't like the twee angel bloke much.

However in the end they are mild irritations which just take the classic status away from it for me. But you know I'm always wrong and all that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 13:04 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

YOG wrote:
Craster wrote:
She is indeed utter crazy filth, mind.

Like in a bad way?

Oh hell no.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 15:12 
Unpossible!

Rewatching Wall-e on blu-ray. This is possibly my favourite film of all time.

Reply to topic  [ 21126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122 ... 423  Next