And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ] 
 Post subject: Re: Charlie Brooker - what a legernd
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:16 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

kalmar wrote:
Or, there's other people, like Brooker I guess, that are pointing out that it's actually a serious business[tm] running London, and you empirically don't want a clown doing it. Especially not a hateful Tory clown.

Except he's clearly not a clown, regardless of how he comes across. Editor of the Spectator for six years, MP for seven years and Shadow Secretary for Higher Education for two. OK, so maybe Henley isn't the toughest seat for a Tory to hold, but that he took it over from Heseltine is a clear indication that he's not just the party 'funny man'.

Livingstone just thinks it's still 25 years ago, mainly because the only things he's done between the GLC being abolished and getting elected as mayor were being in a Blur video and advertising cheese.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:17 
INFINITE POWAH

Craster wrote:
kalmar wrote:
Or, there's other people, like Brooker I guess, that are pointing out that it's actually a serious business[tm] running London, and you empirically don't want a clown doing it. Especially not a hateful Tory clown.

Except he's clearly not a clown, regardless of how he comes across. Editor of the Spectator for six years, MP for seven years and Shadow Secretary for Higher Education for two. OK, so maybe Henley isn't the toughest seat for a Tory to hold, but that he took it over from Heseltine is a clear indication that he's not just the party 'funny man'.

Absolute fucking bollocks. He's an utter clown.

Or, if not, that means he must be a complete and utter scheming cunt who likes to give the impression of being a clown to hide the racist, right wing reality.

Either way there's a big clown element there.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:19 
Son of a Reaperman

That cunt George Galloway woke me up NO LESS THAN THREE TIMES on Sunday, driving up and down the high street on his tour bus, shouting the odds when I was trying to catch up on some sleep.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:21 

I couldn't disagree with you more about the kids free on buses being a good thing.

When I was at school you could get a free bus pass if:

You lived more than 3 miles from your school

AND

your family couldn't afford to pay for your bus travel.

I ticked both these boxes in the year that I lived with my mother and so I got a free bus pass.

When I moved back with my grandparents I was only two miles from the school. They would have given me bus fare but I preferred to walk. Now, kids get on the buses to go two stops from their school to their houses - the buses at this time are unusable by most adults as they are so packed with kids that you can't get on if your stop is a stop or two after the school. The government banging on about child obesity and then saying 'but please, don't bother yourself to walk anywhere', is a bit of a joke.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:25 
baron of techno

Mimi wrote:
Now, kids get on the buses to go two stops from their school to their houses - the buses at this time are unusable by most adults as they are so packed with kids that you can't get on if your stop is a stop or two after the school.

I agree with you, but bear in mind that the only realistic alternatives these days is either for them to be individually ferried there in their parents' SUVs, or to attempt to walk the two stop distance and be run over by an SUV.

Ideally, you'd want to clear the streets of cars and busses altogether and make everyone walk or cycle. But one step at a time, or something.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:30 
Sleepyhead

If a child has to walk further than 50 yards in this country then they get snatched by paedophiles.

There's no actual evidence for this, but it is scientific fact.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:31 
baron of techno

Curiosity wrote:
If a child has to walk further than 50 yards in this country then they get snatched by paedophiles.

There's no actual evidence for this, but it is scientific fact.

That too. See? It's a basic health and safety issue.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:32 
Gogmagog

True story, I had dinner with KL at the house of commons many years ago. I liked him.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:33 
Chinny chin chin

MaliA wrote:
True story, I had dinner with KL at the house of commons many years ago. I liked him.

Although he did get you pregnant............

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:49 
Excellent Member

Mimi wrote:
Now, kids get on the buses to go two stops from their school to their houses - the buses at this time are unusable by most adults as they are so packed with kids that you can't get on if your stop is a stop or two after the school.

It's just a joke. The last time I got on a London bus it was like travelling through one of the inner circles of Dante's inferno.

I'm really amazed at the number of people on here who still think Ken, with his autocratic style and his eager embrace of Big brother technology is a good thing.

The idea of voting Tory has always pained me, but if that's what it takes to remove the man, so be it.

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]