Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 3117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Call of Duty 6: Modern Warfare 2 (ELECTRIC BOOGALOO)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:11 
Sleepyhead

Ian Fairies wrote:
I have Prestiged. I miss cold-blooded and my claymores...

BUT! New Challenges!

SUCKER!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 13:54 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Ian Fairies wrote:
I have Prestiged. I miss cold-blooded and my claymores...

Yeah from my screenshot you were up to Level 32 last night.

Apart from that - considering you'd left it as long as you had - do you think it was worth it ?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 16:56 
Bad Girl

zaphod79 wrote:
Apart from that - considering you'd left it as long as you had - do you think it was worth it ?

No! I could have loads of emblems and titles for just shooting piles and piles of people in the face. You can max out your weapons pre-prestige and get NOTHING. I fear I have wasted my life.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:24 
Sleepyhead

I got my first 25 kill streak last night (I finished 26-0) playing Hardcore Capture the Flag.

Annoyingly, I did not have the nuke equipped, though I might as well have done, as my Sentry Gun didn't get me any kills (as ever).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 13:41 
8-Bit Champion

The game you ducked out of last night was probably the worst one i'd played. It was on highrise and the oposing team had placed a sentry gun on the 'top' of the building and then had a number of snipers lying down on the pads in the middle - you spawned - walked towards the exit of the building and got shot.

The only way out was to go underground and get up into the middle but then you got the sentry gun or whatever other flying things that were out there - i think it ended up 7500 / 2500 or some other silly score.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 13:45 

I hate Highrise. I think it's probably the most unbalanced map. That sounds ridiculous because it's symmetrical, but once a team gets a foothold and a killstreak in the air, it's nigh on impossible to turn it back around. I always veto that map.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 13:55 
Sleepyhead

I quite like it, but only because it's good for FMJ kills!

Also, apols for vanishing last night. The missus wanted me for a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 14:05 
8-Bit Champion

Wogan'sTrouserBulge wrote:
I hate Highrise. I think it's probably the most unbalanced map. That sounds ridiculous because it's symmetrical, but once a team gets a foothold and a killstreak in the air, it's nigh on impossible to turn it back around. I always veto that map.

Highrise with the right team / game type and right opponents can be good , and as its a small map you dont get the 'oh i'm dead i need to run along half the map to get back into the action' which can be a problem for some of the larger maps.

However the 'roof' exploit , plus the various sniping positions (cranes / front of buildings), the poor choice of spawn points mean that if your team is confined in one area its very difficult to get out of.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 14:11 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Curiosity wrote:

:hat:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 23:10 
Sleepyhead

Yeah!

Got me a nuke playing Hardcore Headquarters on Strike, avec Riles, Bobby and Zaphod.

Woop woop!

Narrowly missed out on the 'Nuke when losing' unlock as we were tied at the time. Had I been thinking straight I'd have waited for them to take the lead, but I was too excited.

:DD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 23:44 
8-Bit Champion

Nicely done , and in the game before i got killed over 60 times and still came in ahead of Riles on the leaderboard :-)

I finally maxed the FAL , which just leaves me one assault rifle to do , however its the F2000 and i need FMJ kills on it , and its *crap* - takes plenty of hits to kill and sprays all over the place unless you squeeze the shots off - i think i'll give up on that and go to the LMG's

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 23:50 
Sleepyhead

zaphod79 wrote:
Nicely done , and in the game before i got killed over 60 times and still came in ahead of Riles on the leaderboard :-)

I finally maxed the FAL , which just leaves me one assault rifle to do , however its the F2000 and i need FMJ kills on it , and its *crap* - takes plenty of hits to kill and sprays all over the place unless you squeeze the shots off - i think i'll give up on that and go to the LMG's

By maxed do you mean the Mastery? I have that for all the guns bar the last two Sniper Rifles (but I'm only 4 FMJs from the WA2000), the Uzi (20 FMJs), the final LMG (40 FMJs and 20 kills) and the AK-47 (nada).

I also have 500+ kills on all of them apart from the F2000 and the aforementioned non-mastered guns.

Oddly, I got the Nuke whilst using the F2000, though only 4 of the 25 kills were using bullets from said gun.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 0:00 
8-Bit Champion

Curiosity wrote:
By maxed do you mean the Mastery?

Yes (sorry) I mean Mastery , that I've unlocked everything on it , there are very few that I've actually got the 1000 kills on and none i've done all headshots (500?)

Curiosity wrote:
I have that for all the guns bar the last two Sniper Rifles (but I'm only 4 FMJs from the WA2000), the Uzi (20 FMJs), the final LMG (40 FMJs and 20 kills) and the AK-47 (nada).

I also have 500+ kills on all of them apart from the F2000 and the aforementioned non-mastered guns.

Oddly, I got the Nuke whilst using the F2000, though only 4 of the 25 kills were using bullets from said gun.

Hardcore seems to be the way to go for the crappier guns , on 'regular' they just dont have the stopping power (even with stopping power pro)

My numbers

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Assault Rifles

M4A1 828 kills / 93 headshots / all unlocked
FAMAS 760 kills / 82 headshots / all unlocked
SCAR-H 753 kills / 74 headshots / all unlocked
TAR-21 1000 kills / 219 headshots / all unlocked
FAL 683 kills / 53 headshots / all unlocked
M16A4 1000 kills / 153 headshots / all unlocked
ACR 1000 kills / 119 headshots / all unlocked
F2000 345 kills / 47 headshots / need 40 FMJ to unlock all
AK47 661 Kills / 46 headshots / all unlocked

Apart from that
SMG's I have 1000 kills / 109 headshots for the P90 and 390 for the UMP45
Nothing for the LMG's
274 kills with the Barrett
missing some bounce bullets for the shield (2875 out of 10000 for bullet proof but have the rest)

Shotguns
SPAS-12 - 306 kills
M1014 - 421 kills
Model 1887 - 395 kills

705 kills with the Magnum (probably mainly knifey knifey)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:12 
Sleepyhead

I've maxed the Prestige kills for the M4 (2500 isn't it?), and have got 1000 for a few others.

I've decided not to Prestige this time until I've nailed all my C4, knife and RPG multi-kills. And possibly some other stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:33 
8-Bit Champion

Curiosity wrote:
I've maxed the Prestige kills for the M4 (2500 isn't it?), and have got 1000 for a few others.

As I havent prestiged yet I dont have that number to check :-)
The standard one 'stops' at 1000

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:37 
Sleepyhead

zaphod79 wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

As I havent prestiged yet I dont have that number to check :-)
The standard one 'stops' at 1000

Aha. Once you Prestige, for every weapon there's a counter that doesn't reset that counts your kills with the gun, but it maxes out at 2500 (and gives you a pretty title).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:44 
8-Bit Champion

Curiosity wrote:
Aha. Once you Prestige, for every weapon there's a counter that doesn't reset that counts your kills with the gun, but it maxes out at 2500 (and gives you a pretty title).

Yeah well I may try soon since i've done what i was looking to do (max out 'most' of the AR's) - and it would be nice to get that extra class spot.

Right now i'm not 'close' to anything (apart from the F2000) so its probably about the time to say goodbye to the Claymores and other nice perks and go back around.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:56 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

do it. do it. do it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 14:04 

I don't know if I'm 'playing it wrong' (probably) but my progress through multiplayer mainly goes thus:

1: Play game, assess ability to pwn others in various situations

2: Identify areas for improvement, e.g. "This is a snipey map and always comes up, I always get constapwned by snipers so should try that. But my sniper rifles are gash, killcams reveal snipers are using the heat sight so I'll focus on working towards one of those, then my snipey time will be well spent.

3: Realise that I need to get 20 kills with my sniper rifle through an ACOG scope to get my heat sensor.

4: Spend two hours on inappropriate maps trying to get those 20 kills. It did help when I realised barebones took the air superiority out of the equation.

5: Achieve target then start looking around for another thing to improve, such as my sidearm for when I'm replete with sniper rifle.

High achievers - do you eschew grinding weapons and attachments in favour of using your best setup for the map/gametype and level up ambiently or a bit of both? It is possible I'm just shit at online FPS games.

Also, is it me or is red dot sight more betterer than holographic?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 14:09 
Sleepyhead

My classes are always optimised to level 'something' up... be it perks or equipment or stuff for your guns. The M4 is my favourite assault rifle, but since I got all 2500 kills with it I'm using others just for variety and to unlock stuffs (such as cool emblems and titles).

Which is why I find myself using the crappy F2000 and Mini-Uzi at the moment...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 14:37 
8-Bit Champion

I'm probably not the best person to give advice on this but :

I have my main class which is

Bling (pro) + a gun that i'm working on as my main weapon and a shotgun i'm working on as a secondary (usually with FMJ on both)
Stopping power pro (so even with the crappier guns its easier to drop them)
Steady aim pro (so i can hipfire and that the shotgun has a better accuracy as my secondary).

Depending on the game type and map i then have

Knifey knifey class with Marathon / lightweight / commando - a SMG (i'm switching between them) and the magnum with tactical knife
This works well for CTF games , or close maps (Rust / Salvage) and can be good for some others where speed and mobilty is important (demolition).

Sniper
Bling (pro) - a sniper rifle with FMJ and ? (i think right now i have AGOC) / Shotgun with FMJ and grip
Coldblooded / Ninja to try and be as quiet as possible / avoid air

Anti-Air
Scavenger - a good gun (M4 or similar) with motion tracker + a launcher (stinger)
Cold blooded pro / Ninja pro

Lave
Claymores / riot shield / thumper - cold blooded / scavenger / danger close
(this works well for Domination and can also be good at HQ)

I used virtually nothing but claymores for ages , but at the moment i've switched to semtex to sticky people going up against me with shields and to practice the grenade throwing bit.

I tend to move around the map a lot , i dont camp , and i'm a rubbish sniper :-)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 15:40 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I just play to have a mush fun as possible. So I choose a gun I like and use it. occasionally wanting to try something else. Occasionally i change class during a game, but it is normally when I am trying out sniping on level which is close quarters, or something.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 15:41 
Sleepyhead

Mine are currently:

1 - Boom Class
Whichever Rifle w/ n00b tube
C4
RPGx2
Scavenger
Danger Close
Scrambler Pro (mmmm, claymore immunity)

2 - Running class
Whichever SMG w/RDS
Throwing Knife
Whichever Machine Pistol w/RDS
Marathon
Lightweight
Commando Pro

3 - Anti-air
Whichever LMG w/Grip or AR w/n00bs
Semtex
Stinger
Scavenger
Cold Blooded
Any 3rd perk

4 - I predict a riot
Riot Shield
Throwing Knife
Raffica machine pistol w/RDS (longest useful range of any non-boomy secondary weapon)
Marathon
Lightweight
Commando

5&6 - Snipey
Whichever sniper rifle
Claymores
Either shotty or M.Pistol (classes 5 & 6)
Scavenger
Cold Blooded
Steady Aim Pro

7 - Big Gun!
Whichever LMG w/Grip and RDS
Semtex
SPAS-12 w/foregrip & RDS
Bling Pro
Hardline Pro
Ninja

I had a stealth one once, but replaced it with a second sniper class for better secondary weapon cover.

P.S. Yes I am bored at work.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 15:59 

Thanks, lots to try there. Looking at the lists there's stuff I've been playing for ages and only just got, plus stuff I'll need to play a lot longer to get as well. All of which is fine and fair but I'm thinking back to last night and the relative skill levels in the game. I'm level 33 or 34 or something, most opponents tended to be >50 and a good 50%+ in most of the games were at level 70. In such games, it's spawn-die-spawn-die and more or less impossible to do anything at all.

For those at the upper end of the scale, is it worth the investment of time to get over level 50 or wherever? Are you really that much more powerful? When I'm emptying a full cip into a guy who just stands there and takes it, then one-shots me once my ammos empty, I do wonder whether I'd be better just trading in this title and getting CoDBlOps for the level playing field. There will always be people who play it four or five hours a day and max their stats quickly, but I can't imagine the problem being as bad at release. Maybe if I'd started with the multi instead of labouring through single player when MW2 came out, I'd be happier.

As things stand, it feels a lot like playing Eve Online, (which is not a criticism).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 16:02 
Ready for action

I would say that sounds more like a poor connection that a result of not being leveleed as highly as your opponents. When i run two Xbox's on MW2 at the same time I usually only have a three bar connection (it is displayed next to your name in the scoreboard if you press back while playing) compared to everyone else's four bar connection. In those cases, I don't get as many kills because the people I'm playing against have a slight time advantage, so even if I start shooting first, their bullets can hit me first.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 16:06 

I was on three bars last night, I'd still have expected that to be sufficient for there to be any point in continuing to play. Why not just have a yes/no indicator?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 16:09 
Ready for action

I'm not saying it's not worth playing, just that it does produce a noticeable effect. I adjust my playstyle when I am on a worse connection. Turn corners while aiming down sights, use flash and smoke grenades, or try a less frantic game mode like Search and Destroy ( :luv: ). I very rarely have better than four bars to be honest, the problem just appears worse when I play in mainly American games.
I also recommend drinking 4 beers. That when I'm best.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 16:14 
Sleepyhead

I was 3/4 of a bottle of wine down when I got my nuke yesterday!

:D

Seriously though, GY, I'd suggest playing Hardcore modes. Your opponents are unlikely to have much better equipment than you (the opening guns are arguably the best ones), so bar stuff like RPGs and Claymores and Cold-Blooded, there's not a massive amount of difference. When playing on regular modes, where you hit people is important, so if you unload half a clip into their limbs and they fire three shots into your throat, they win. The more you play, the better you will get.

In Hardcore mode, it is easier to die, but more importantly it is easier to get kills. So if you put two bullets into their thigh before they were going to headshot you from a mile away, you bullets will still kill 'em before they get a shot off.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 16:15 
Ready for action

Hardcore Search and Destroy :luv:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 17:20 
8-Bit Champion

I'd echo the other comments on here :

GovernmentYard wrote:
When I'm emptying a full cip into a guy who just stands there and takes it, then one-shots me once my ammos empty, I do wonder whether I'd be better just trading in this title and getting CoDBlOps for the level playing field.

That really is down to connections - sometimes its the other way around - they are on a laggy connection and they've moved - the trick is to watch the killcam , you'll see them standing there with bullets *missing* them and they turn round and shoot you.

As also mentioned headshots make a big difference on non Hardcore modes.

GovernmentYard wrote:
Thanks, lots to try there. Looking at the lists there's stuff I've been playing for ages and only just got, plus stuff I'll need to play a lot longer to get as well. All of which is fine and fair but I'm thinking back to last night and the relative skill levels in the game. I'm level 33 or 34 or something, most opponents tended to be >50 and a good 50%+ in most of the games were at level 70. In such games, it's spawn-die-spawn-die and more or less impossible to do anything at all.

Apart from Claymores you've got the best weapons already - you dont have any extra 'flack jacket' or anything when you get to a higher level (unless they have the painkiller death streak - and you will be told of that because when you shoot them a little 'pill' apears in front of them) - also at this stage 'most' people have been round at least once - its rare to find a group with more than 1 or two low level people in there.

Two other things :

1) When the game starts and your past the 'select your class' screen hit the back key on the controller and it will show everyone in the game and *one* person will have 5 green bars and everyone else will have 1 red bar (you need to be quick to do this) , the person with the 5 green bars is the host.
If this is you , congratulations all your shots will hit easier / better / your a bit harder to kill - if its not you remember this person is 'harder' than the others

2) If your connection is not great , then as SDG said learn to work around it , a very quick hint i've found for that is to have a class with stopping power pro / steady aim pro , have a shotgun with grip and run about the map trying to avoid any 'long' areas and you find an enemy just shoot in their general direction - the shotgun relies a lot less on aiming and the spread for it works really well for people who are 'in the area' - the disadvantage of it is that theres virtually no range on them so if you turn a corner and theres someone a distance off facing you - reverse quickly or die :-)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 20:23 
Congrats on the Nuke Andy Bear!

You're now officially a 12 year old :)

I can't even remember what my classes are these days, all I know is that Andy's are all wrong, and bobby has it waaaay too sensitive.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 15:10 
8-Bit Champion

If you havent got them yet the two map packs are down to 600MS points this week

http://majornelson.com/archive/2010/10/ ... d-ons.aspx

Quote:
This week, Xbox LIVE Gold members can save 50% on BOTH Game Add-ons for CoD: Modern Warfare 2. Normally 1200 points each, both The Stimulus Pack and the Resurgence Pack are specially priced at 600 MS Points each until Monday, October 11, 2010.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 15:51 
Sweet. I'll have to pick up some points this week then!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 16:19 
8-Bit Champion

nickachu wrote:
Sweet. I'll have to pick up some points this week then!

Even if you dont have internet yet you can buy them online and it'll download when you do get your console on.

Course by that point everyone will be Black Op's ing (since they are all Halo'ing now)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 16:22 
UltraMod

zaphod79 wrote:
Course by that point everyone will be Black Op's ing (since they are all Halo'ing now)

I don't think so. I can only think of a handful of people (here) who abandoned CoD4 for WaW when it came out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 16:27 
8-Bit Champion

myoptikakaka wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:

I don't think so. I can only think of a handful of people (here) who abandoned CoD4 for WaW when it came out.

It will all depend on the game , and what the price is (and any supermarket deals) , and who picks it up and gets all enthuseastic about it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 16:28 
I won't be able to afford new games and I doubt they'll be cheap in Sweden.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 16:36 
UltraMod

zaphod79 wrote:
myoptikakaka wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:

It will all depend on the game , and what the price is (and any supermarket deals) , and who picks it up and gets all enthuseastic about it.

It's made by Treyarch. Unless they've massively upped their game, it will be a Cold War reskin of MW2, going on past experience.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 16:51 
But there are dogs!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 18:34 

myoptikakaka wrote:
It's made by Treyarch. Unless they've massively upped their game, it will be a Cold War reskin of MW2, going on past experience somehow went back to the glory days of CoD3's multiplayer it'll be shit.
FTFY & even then I think 3 might have been a blip.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 21:59 
UltraMod

Aye, I'd temporarily forgotten about CoD3's multiplayer. The campaggen was utter gash, though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:29 
Ready for action

I'm getting Black ops on release. I'm quite hopeful it will be a witty successor, the gameplay videos so far certainly look like they have been a bit happier to copy elements of modern warfare. If it sucks though I'll just go back to mw2 and trade it in.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 17:08 
8-Bit Champion

Some fun games last night - I enjoyed the very close CTF game which i managed the one and only score only to be shot on the flag point by Curio :-)

Although i guess that will be the last for a while given this post earlier on Twitter

Quote:
nickachu_
Hopefully I'll have xbox live tonight. Yay!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 23:16 
Sleepyhead

zaphod79 wrote:
Some fun games last night - I enjoyed the very close CTF game which i managed the one and only score only to be shot on the flag point by Curio :-)

Although i guess that will be the last for a while given this post earlier on Twitter

Quote:
nickachu_
Hopefully I'll have xbox live tonight. Yay!

To be fair, I did headshot the bad guy who was chasing you!

Got a killstreak of 26 earlier today on Domination avec some of the guys. Annoyingly I had no nuke equipped.

Also, it was good to see Nickachu back on Live, though he appeared to be useless and with a horrible K/D ratio in all the games. Not so impressive without your lag switch, eh?

;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:10 
Bad Girl

A Rather Nice Bouncy Knife Kill You've got to admire the physics.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 0:15 
8-Bit Champion

The return of the fish clan - 1 year on :-)

Although I made a mistake in hitting that prestige button a few months ago the games tonight reminded me just how much fun this was (apart from the nube tubes and the camping person getting a nuke)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:24 
Sleepyhead

That was very good fun. It's so much faster and more frenetic than BLOPS.

They definitely need to tone down the Noob Tubes in MW3, as they do seem excessive, or at least add in a Flak Jacket style perk to even it out.

Plus, Predator missiles are still the most fun killstreak ever.

And riot shields are awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 14:48 
Excellent Member

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Hmm, how old is Curio's kid again?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 14:54 
Sleepyhead

Ramsea wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Hmm, how old is Curio's kid again?

September 2010... sadly she was already pregnant by then, so unlikely to have been for :hat:

:(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 15:47 
8-Bit Champion

Curiosity wrote:
They definitely need to tone down the Noob Tubes in MW3, as they do seem excessive, or at least add in a Flak Jacket style perk to even it out.

Something that only occured to me later was that MW2 has that perk to increase explosion damage (danger close) , so that could have been part of the issue

Reply to topic  [ 3117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63  Next