Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Chavs are Thatcher's children
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:34 
Peculiar, yet lovely

AceAceBaby wrote:
I'm not going to talk about "chavs", but if someone can come up with a label for aggressive thugs who swear and beat up people who look different (instead of just sniggering at them on the internet), while almost all wearing tracksuits and hoodies, then that would be great. Then I can say those people are scum, without offending people who wear trainers and leisurewear otherwise.

Somewhere along the line "chav" seems to have been expanded to cover a lot of typically working class people- a lot of my family would probably look "chavvy." But they're not "rat faced proles". I would guess that, semantics aside, everyone "knows" what people mean when they talk about chavscum, and a lot of this debate is just picking at definitions for the sake of looking liberal.

This. I've always used chav to mean "mindless, ignorant, aggressive cunt". It annoys me when, for instance, a girl I know is described as a chav simply because she has cacky taste and is loud and a bit dim (she's young, apart from anything else, so will probably grow out of a lot of it), because though she may be annoying, she's a pretty sweet person at heart and if given a chance is smarter than people think. One of my old neighbours, too, dressed and talked and boozed in a manner that would terrify middle-class parents everywhere, but he's not a bad kid, just thick and too weak-willed to question the herd. Some of his mates are gleefully violent pricks, however, and I wouldn't argue if someone called them chavs.

It's come to be used as "ugh, look at their clothes and hear the way they speak. These people are clearly chavs and must be sterilised", though. This is annoying, and I just don't bother using it anymore to avoid the confusion - I much prefer "slack-jawed aggro fuckwit".

I really don't like baseball caps, though. Burberry or not, they just look crappy and pointless.

Also, opinions can be wrong. Anything less is just cultural relativism and utter bollocks - of course an opinion can be wrong, otherwise everything is as true as everything else, which is just patently ridiculous on anything but an abstract meta-wank level.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:41 
INFINITE POWAH

In other judging people on their appearance news, you can tell "easy" men and women from their faces.

Quote:
students were asked to look at ... photographed faces and say how easy they reckoned the pictured individual might be. In a staggering 72 per cent of cases, they correctly guessed whether the person in the portrait was or was not a slag. Or at least, whether or not they were likely to admit being a slag on an anonymous questionnaire.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 13:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Now that's science that I can understand!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 13:49 
making out to faces of death

ComicalGnomes wrote:
I still have trouble when I encounter the ones that tuck their tracksuits into their socks. I'd heard about it, seen it in parody, but didn't seriously believe people actually did it. I still don't understand it.

Anything you shoplift that might fall through your pockets will stay in, and your trackie bottoms are less likely to snag on stuff when you're jumping over fences when running from the filth.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 14:13 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
Now that's science that I can understand!

When I was an undergrad we did a biology experiment where we had to rate teh attractiveness of photos from 1 through 10. The same woman ALWAYS came out top. We were never allowed to rate each other in a scientific manner though, but other experiments were done after the nghtclubs shut I am sure.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 15:01 
Kvnt

Quote:
For example, I've encountered people who consider anyone who reads poetry or listen to classical music to be wrong in some way. These are things I've been criticised for, usually along the lines of "OMG that's gay" or something equally witty and cutting, by the wilfully ignorant people I'm on about. You don't like it? Fine. You don't understand it? Also fine - there's a lot of stuff I don't understand. You're going to slag someone off for liking something you've never even tried because it's not "cool" in your peer group? Not very fine at all.

Aye. Putting aside 'chav' interests and tastes, there still seems to be a particularly dangerous* group of nitwits with serious chips on their shoulders about anybody who isn't exactly like them, and seem to think that others are 'letting the country down' by getting their arses to school, or not getting their arses to the barber's. I've personally experienced these drongos turning to venomous, hateful (albeit half-incoherent) verbal abuse and violence as quickly as a confused Rottweiler maims an unfortunate toddler.

*In the ideological sense.

Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3