And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Chavs are Thatcher's children
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 17:23 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

AceAceBaby wrote:
if someone can come up with a label for aggressive thugs who swear and beat up people who look different (instead of just sniggering at them on the internet), while almost all wearing tracksuits and hoodies, then that would be great.

'Cunts'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 17:24 
Future War Cultist

Location: Nottingham. Again. No, wait, I'm back in Manchester.
AceAceBaby wrote:
Dressing like that will get your head kicked in for you in all kinds of depressed northern towns.

I grew up in Millom. I was a goff. You speak true.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 20:14 

AceAceBaby wrote:
Live in Middlesbrough for some years, and you'll understand what people who've lived there know as "chavs". It's not about wearing tracksuits.

Exactly, and it's not even about "wilful ignorance" or any of that bollocks. It's about a worryingly large set of horrible cunts who go around being fucking horrible to anyone who isn't like them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 21:03 
lazy eye patch

Mr Chris wrote:
What's your definition of chav, CUS?

I think, a chav has no class.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 21:04 
Most Excellent Pagan Wench

Ergh, chavs.
Loud, loutish, anitsocial behaviour, no class whatsoever and an inability to speak the queen's English.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 21:06 
lazy eye patch

Shewolf wrote:
Ergh, chavs.
Loud, loutish, anitsocial behaviour, no class whatsoever and an inability to speak the queen's English.

It's "Queen's" ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 21:07 
Most Excellent Pagan Wench

You'll have a field day with the rest of my typing...my fingers and brain had a falling out years ago...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 21:13 
lazy eye patch

Nah, I just like ironic typos. I agree with you, by the way, that they have no class whatsoever, though we may differ on meanings.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 21:46 
lazy eye patch

Deer lore, that last bit is pseudy.

I mean that I don't think chavs belong to a class in the 'upper/middle/lower/working' class system (which exists only within each individual/mob). They're kind of adrift.

Being a moron, being ill-educated, being illiterate, these are all old things, and a terrible way to try and group together vast quantities of people across generations, as chavs. Which is why it pisses me off when I hear Jade Goody described as a chav, just because she said something fogging stupid.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 21:49 
Lord Of The Powerchord

Grim... wrote:
SteONorDar wrote:
My point, if it needs restating, is that there a people who will assume that they know all that they need to know, that anyone who disagrees with them is wrong, and that if they don't know something it's not worth knowing. That's what I meant by wilful ignorance - the rejection of knowledge or learning.

I still haven't figured out why that's such a disaster.

This is why, really -- poor education fuels the absolute belief of yob who beats you up because your skin is a different colour; the small-mindedness of the gang whose universe is defined by the savagely defended borders of their estate; the confidence of the mother who attempts to scam the public by pretending her daughter has been abducted in the brilliance of her brain-dead scheme. Hence education being viewed as a right that can be justifiably rejected rather than a responsibility that one is obliged to fulfil is an objectively sub-optimal state of affairs.

We've also got the peskily persistent belief in this country that certain people are "thick" and can't be educated, which international study has shown to be nonsense. You might have a lower cognitive load than is average and it might subsequently take you longer to build up an increasingly complex knowledge-base, but with continuity in your learning academic progress is achievable. There's really no excuse for people (and, consequently, wider society) being disadvantaged in this fashion.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 23:16 

Sledge wrote:
We've also got the peskily persistent belief in this country that certain people are "thick" and can't be educated, which international study has shown to be nonsense.
Indeed. I fully agree. Our schools system unfortunately still is barely better than the old tripartite system that divides kids up into "viable" and "worthless".

(I got called "chav" at university, BTW. Because I came via comprehensive school and tertiary college rather than private or Grammar school. So I don't like the term.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 23:41 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

CUS wrote:
'upper/middle/lower/working' class system

I always thought lower and working were the same.
And you missed the shiny new 'non-working' class.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 23:48 
Legendary Boogeyman

Grim... wrote:
pupil wrote:
I hate all of this chav = scum prejudice.

Dear God, this. You can make assumptions about my character because of the brand of trainers I wear? The fuck?

I've missed loads of this thread but thought I should quote this :)

Grim... I think most of the 'chavs' that wear a specific brand of trainer JUST SO that people will make assumptions about their character. Presumably the chav thinks the opinion will be favourable, whereas everyone else (the anti-chavs) will think the opposite.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 23:49 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I wear them because they fit the best.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 23:50 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I wear them because they fit the best. And goodness, but they are pretty.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 23:56 
What-ho, chaps!

You can find trainers that fit?

I KILL YOU.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 23:56 
lazy eye patch

Grim... wrote:
CUS wrote:
'upper/middle/lower/working' class system

I always thought lower and working were the same.
And you missed the shiny new 'non-working' class.

Aye, as I also said, the actual definition of the class system really depends on the individual, in ma ken. "Non-working"? Is that real, or a joke about benefit defrauders / immigrants / students?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 23:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I didn't make it up. I think it describes everybody who could work, but instead just lives off benefits.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 0:05 
Legendary Boogeyman

I'll chime agreement with the thing Mr Chris said about how outward appearance gives some indication of probable behavior. Namely, a chavvy-looking scumbag is more likely to act like a cunt.

Certainly, the fuckpot the threw coke over me while running the other day wasn't a tidy gent dressed in a suit driving a sensible car. Despite only catching a glimpse, I could see it was a cap-wearing little chavster driving a shitty little car that has the bollocks revved off it for want of a larger penis.

On Xmas day last year (when I went for my first snickers training run) I saw three people who certainly looked like chavs, at about 1pm in the afternoon, somewhat drunk, and one of them was casually urinating AS HE WALKED along the busy public road where he could be seen by anyone. His other two chavtastic looking friends both wore slackjawed grins of ignorant amusement at this impressive feat.

Again, had these both been smart well groomed chaps wearing (what I consider to be) smart clothes, I would have been considerably more surprised than I was. The fact that the 'chav' opinion exists is because in a large majority of cases the sterotypes you've heard of are just damn true. I still have trouble when I encounter the ones that tuck their tracksuits into their socks. I'd heard about it, seen it in parody, but didn't seriously believe people actually did it. I still don't understand it.

I solve the problem of class perception by being a misanthropist. Technically, I hate the fucking lot of you, except those individuals that I know better than others and have verified to be acceptable company :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 0:06 
lazy eye patch

ComicalGnomes wrote:
Grim... I think most of the 'chavs' that wear a specific brand of trainer JUST SO that people will make assumptions about their character. Presumably the chav thinks the opinion will be favourable, whereas everyone else (the anti-chavs) will think the opposite.

No, people do this anyway, that has nothing to do with being a chav.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:34 
Peculiar, yet lovely

AceAceBaby wrote:
I'm not going to talk about "chavs", but if someone can come up with a label for aggressive thugs who swear and beat up people who look different (instead of just sniggering at them on the internet), while almost all wearing tracksuits and hoodies, then that would be great. Then I can say those people are scum, without offending people who wear trainers and leisurewear otherwise.

Somewhere along the line "chav" seems to have been expanded to cover a lot of typically working class people- a lot of my family would probably look "chavvy." But they're not "rat faced proles". I would guess that, semantics aside, everyone "knows" what people mean when they talk about chavscum, and a lot of this debate is just picking at definitions for the sake of looking liberal.

This. I've always used chav to mean "mindless, ignorant, aggressive cunt". It annoys me when, for instance, a girl I know is described as a chav simply because she has cacky taste and is loud and a bit dim (she's young, apart from anything else, so will probably grow out of a lot of it), because though she may be annoying, she's a pretty sweet person at heart and if given a chance is smarter than people think. One of my old neighbours, too, dressed and talked and boozed in a manner that would terrify middle-class parents everywhere, but he's not a bad kid, just thick and too weak-willed to question the herd. Some of his mates are gleefully violent pricks, however, and I wouldn't argue if someone called them chavs.

It's come to be used as "ugh, look at their clothes and hear the way they speak. These people are clearly chavs and must be sterilised", though. This is annoying, and I just don't bother using it anymore to avoid the confusion - I much prefer "slack-jawed aggro fuckwit".

I really don't like baseball caps, though. Burberry or not, they just look crappy and pointless.

Also, opinions can be wrong. Anything less is just cultural relativism and utter bollocks - of course an opinion can be wrong, otherwise everything is as true as everything else, which is just patently ridiculous on anything but an abstract meta-wank level.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:41 
INFINITE POWAH

In other judging people on their appearance news, you can tell "easy" men and women from their faces.

Quote:
students were asked to look at ... photographed faces and say how easy they reckoned the pictured individual might be. In a staggering 72 per cent of cases, they correctly guessed whether the person in the portrait was or was not a slag. Or at least, whether or not they were likely to admit being a slag on an anonymous questionnaire.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 13:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Now that's science that I can understand!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 13:49 
making out to faces of death

ComicalGnomes wrote:
I still have trouble when I encounter the ones that tuck their tracksuits into their socks. I'd heard about it, seen it in parody, but didn't seriously believe people actually did it. I still don't understand it.

Anything you shoplift that might fall through your pockets will stay in, and your trackie bottoms are less likely to snag on stuff when you're jumping over fences when running from the filth.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 14:13 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
Now that's science that I can understand!

When I was an undergrad we did a biology experiment where we had to rate teh attractiveness of photos from 1 through 10. The same woman ALWAYS came out top. We were never allowed to rate each other in a scientific manner though, but other experiments were done after the nghtclubs shut I am sure.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 15:01 
Kvnt

Quote:
For example, I've encountered people who consider anyone who reads poetry or listen to classical music to be wrong in some way. These are things I've been criticised for, usually along the lines of "OMG that's gay" or something equally witty and cutting, by the wilfully ignorant people I'm on about. You don't like it? Fine. You don't understand it? Also fine - there's a lot of stuff I don't understand. You're going to slag someone off for liking something you've never even tried because it's not "cool" in your peer group? Not very fine at all.

Aye. Putting aside 'chav' interests and tastes, there still seems to be a particularly dangerous* group of nitwits with serious chips on their shoulders about anybody who isn't exactly like them, and seem to think that others are 'letting the country down' by getting their arses to school, or not getting their arses to the barber's. I've personally experienced these drongos turning to venomous, hateful (albeit half-incoherent) verbal abuse and violence as quickly as a confused Rottweiler maims an unfortunate toddler.

*In the ideological sense.

Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3