Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team in Pakistan
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:38 
User avatar
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Joined: 31st Mar, 2008
Posts: 5566
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
I'd guess that one of the reasons is that South Korea are very highly US influenced. Whereas the US are no fans of the north, given the volatility between Iran and Israel, they don't want to encourage retaliation in Korea for fear of giving the israelis a blank cheque to respond if provoked.

My theory on this is that as North Korea seem to be barely able to hold their shit together in peace time, proper war with the south would result in their entire state falling apart as what little remains of their infrastructure is turned to war use and then exploded. South Korea would easily beat ( with some US help ) the North Korean army, whose tanks and trucks would all break down and run out of petrol, but then they'd have to deal with 500,000 hungry soldiers through down their weapons and demanding to be fed, followed by 2 million hungry civilians taking their chance to cross the border and get some food and a chance at a decent life.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team in Pakistan
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:43 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 45558
Location: West Yorkshire
Squirt wrote:
they'd have to deal with 500,000 hungry soldiers through down their weapons and demanding to be fed, followed by 2 million hungry civilians taking their chance to cross the border and get some food and a chance at a decent life.



Reunification of the Koreas would absolutely fuck South Korea up for those reasons.

Germany's reunification was probably one of the worst things ever to happen to the country.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team in Pakistan
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:22 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 14874
Location: Oxford
MaliA wrote:
Reunification of the Koreas would absolutely fuck South Korea up for those reasons.


Also China doesn't want a mass influx either.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team in Pakistan
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:24 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 14874
Location: Oxford
MaliA wrote:
Germany's reunification was probably one of the worst things ever to happen to the country.


Economically, yes. Certainly, part of the problem was Kohl's insistence on an exchange rate of 1:1 for the first 10,000 Ostmarks or so, which was a massive over valuation but had the politically affect of suggesting that the Ossies weren't second class.

EDIT but then, two German states wouldn't have lasted - unification was the only way once communism collapsed (and let's be honest, other than the Trabant it wasn't that much of a success, was it ;P )


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team in Pakistan
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:31 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 45558
Location: West Yorkshire
To be fair, the East Germans got a pay increase to normalize West German pay levels, civil liberties, passports, huge social welfare system, infrastructure improvements and restoration of cultural and historic sites.

West Germany got a massive rise in unemployment, a 5.5% special income tax to prop up the east, a huge rise in far right groups and a country full of social problems.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team in Pakistan
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:49 
User avatar
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Joined: 31st Mar, 2008
Posts: 5566
Kern wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Reunification of the Koreas would absolutely fuck South Korea up for those reasons.


Also China doesn't want a mass influx either.

Man, how much must your life suck when being a refugee in northern China seems like a welcoming prospect.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team in Pakistan
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:24 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 14874
Location: Oxford
Squirt wrote:
Man, how much must your life suck when being a refugee in northern China seems like a welcoming prospect.


Aye. I remember reading something recently about how the average height of a North Korean has actually decreased, due to all the famine and food shortages the workers' paradise has. Can't remember the citation, alas, although in Demick's 'Nothing left to envy: real lives in North Korea' the author describes the effects of famine on the human form - the head stays the same but the body declines leading to a sense of it being like Davpaz out of proportion.

A ghastly place, by all accounts.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team in Pakistan
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:25 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 45558
Location: West Yorkshire
I'd quite like to visit N. Korea, though. Especially after the couple of documentaries I've watched. It does seem to exist in cloud cuckoo land.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team in Pakistan
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 13:05 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 7643
Location: Cardiff
Hello, they're at it again! Those whacky N.K's are upping the rhetoric in a creepy way...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12067735

"North Korea 'ready for sacred war' with the South"

Apparently they've been boasting that they're ready to use their nuclear deterrent, not necessarily in retaliation either. Almost certainly hot air again, but then no one predicted that they'd start shelling islands. Wonder if they're going to try anything on? Crumbs.

_________________
"Peter you've lost the NEWS!"

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team in Pakistan
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 13:08 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 45558
Location: West Yorkshire
Image

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team in Pakistan
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 13:14 
User avatar
Sleepyhead

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 27029
Location: Kidbrooke
To be honest, given the current overly-aggressive stance being taken by North Korea, for South Korea to then increase live fire exercises right on the border is absolute bloody lunacy, and appears to be trying to entice the North into starting a war.

_________________
I've got a bad feeling about this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 13:05 
User avatar
INFINITE POWAH

Joined: 1st Apr, 2008
Posts: 30431
So, looks like everyone's favourite Cold War Warrior, bear wrestler, topless combat-trouser-modeller, friend to Nigel Farage and general all round manly man may be the next best hope we have for a worldwide (or at least Europe-wide) conflagration the like of which has not been seen since the 40s. You’re all aware of the shenanigans (if one may call it that) in the Crimea, which managed to provoke the West into a frenzy of apathy, due to a combination of some deft “facts on the ground” created by the ever-canny Putin and the fact he sells us all our gas and we don’t want to piss him off.

The latest instalment, courtesy of Kern, is: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26919928

We do have a treaty with Ukraine, so if they do get invaded properly, I can’t see us doing nothing about it. There will be enormous pressure from the Central and Eastern European NATO members for us to do something, so they are reassured that we’ll step in if they’re next. That or they may end up taking things into their own hands. I can’t see how we can sit back and do nothing at all if there is an actual, honest to goodness invasion. Then again, maybe the takeover of Ukraine will be another Sudentenland-esque approach which allows our fearless leaders to back down without looking like spineless cowards.

It's worth quoting my opening post here:

Quote:
Up until now, Russia had been our best bet for kicking off World War (huh!) 3. Now, however, the once great opponent who met our watery capitalist eyes over the Iron Curtain with a steely communist gaze is a broken shell of its former mass-tractor producing self. Its armed forces are barely functioning, for all the supposedly good kit they have knocking about, and they can barely pay the manpower that they still have. Moreover, if diplomatic push with their effete capitalist running dog foes comes to potential military shove it's entirely unlikely that Mother Russia would actually man up and break out the armoured divisions or the MIRVs. The majority of their wealth derives from selling us fuel, and there's a gravy train they can't afford to derail, for all of Putin's Cold War Warrior rehetoric.


Oh how wrong I was. Then again, a lot has changed in the last few years, and clearly Putin is muchly enboldened by the war-weariness of the main Western protagonists, the massive economic hold he has over Europe (and the scads of cash he's made out of us), and his cast iron position as, effectively, a popular dictator-for-life in Russia

Poor show Pakistan and North Korea, poor show. I had such great hopes for you both.

_________________
http://www.thehomeofawesome.com/
Eagles soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 13:46 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 14874
Location: Oxford
Agree very much with all of this post.

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
We do have a treaty with Ukraine, so if they do get invaded properly, I can’t see us doing nothing about it. There will be enormous pressure from the Central and Eastern European NATO members for us to do something, so they are reassured that we’ll step in if they’re next. That or they may end up taking things into their own hands. I can’t see how we can sit back and do nothing at all if there is an actual, honest to goodness invasion. Then again, maybe the takeover of Ukraine will be another Sudentenland-esque approach which allows our fearless leaders to back down without looking like spineless cowards.


The main risk is that Putin won't quit while he's ahead. He's got Crimea, and could probably force Ukraine to negotiate away/accept the annexation of the eastern territories, but he has to feel that going for anything more, or the westward-looking Baltic states, would be diastrous. And at the moment, I think he's seeing just how far he can go.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 13:49 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 15387
This article linked from that page seems pretty much on the money wrt his likely future plans:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26842065


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 16:36 
User avatar

Joined: 23rd Nov, 2008
Posts: 9521
Location: The Golden Country
I think any notion that Europe will (or can) do anything other than precisely fuck all about any of this (apart from stuff like sanctions and much empty words), is laughable, personally.

_________________
Beware of gavia articulata oculos...

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 16:56 
User avatar
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Joined: 31st Mar, 2008
Posts: 5566
Nonsense! Right now the various EU Heads of State are writing a *very* strongly worded letter. In the unlikely scenario that that isn't enough, they're willing to write *another letter*.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 16:58 
User avatar

Joined: 23rd Nov, 2008
Posts: 9521
Location: The Golden Country
Squirt wrote:
Nonsense! Right now the various EU Heads of State are writing a *very* strongly worded letter. In the unlikely scenario that that isn't enough, they're willing to write *another letter*.


:D

Yeah, I can see Putin and his massed armies and tanks quaking in their jackboots in terror at the very thought of a strongly worded letter from William Hague.

_________________
Beware of gavia articulata oculos...

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 16:59 
User avatar
Bad Girl

Joined: 20th Apr, 2008
Posts: 13235
Squirt wrote:
Nonsense! Right now the various EU Heads of State are meeting to decide whether to writeing a *very* strongly worded letter.


FEEX.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 17:06 
User avatar
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Joined: 31st Mar, 2008
Posts: 5566
I imagine that there is no chance that the EU will intervene militarily without US support, and without that the only tools they have are economic. However, the only thing that will really hurt Russia ( stopping their oil / gas exports ) will mess up our economies almost as much. So that just leaves those letters, and refusing to sell them champagne or decent scotch until they surrender.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 17:20 
User avatar

Joined: 31st Mar, 2008
Posts: 1883
I don't know why I even bother writing this, because the tone of the posts above suggests I will be pissing in the wind, but here goes nothing.

EU+USA have seemingly been pouring billions into Ukraine over several years, finally staging a coup against a democratically elected government, putting neonazis in charge in its place.

From a Russian point of view, Putin is simply drawing a line in the sand against western neocolonialism. At least he is doing so openly, instead of using all the covert bullshit tactics employed by the west (I'm not saying he wouldn't use those if he could, mind you). Personally I am a rather terrified by the one sided coverage all this is given in the western media.

I am not suggesting "he" is right and "we" are wrong, but maybe things are a tad more complicated than him being the evil overlord - at the very least I think blaming Putin alone for things coming to this is just a wee bit naive.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 19:37 
User avatar
INFINITE POWAH

Joined: 1st Apr, 2008
Posts: 30431
Even if that were true, chap:

(a) whether or not Putin likes who's in charge in Ukraine gives him precisely fuck all right to invade the place; and
(b) whether or not he does have any justification for invading, that doesn't change the fact that he is an evil overlord. Stopped clocks and all that.

I'd also query whether the current government of Ukraine, the one that's going to have elections, is "neonazi" and is there as a result of neocolonialism or, indeed, anything that can be described as a "coup" (as opposed to "popular uprising after the existing government murdered tens of its own citizens"). I also wasn't aware that our grand evil Western plan was to put neonazis in charge on our own doorstep.

_________________
http://www.thehomeofawesome.com/
Eagles soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 19:49 
User avatar

Joined: 31st Mar, 2008
Posts: 1883
Whether it was the plan or not, I couldn't say, but:
http://www.channel4.com/news/svoboda-mi ... -far-right
http://dailycaller.com/2014/02/27/contr ... overnment/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 20:09 
User avatar

Joined: 31st Mar, 2008
Posts: 1883
And instead of "staging", perhaps "setting the stage for" is a more appropriate choice of words, giving the benefit of doubt. Was it a coup or not? I suspect that depends entirely on which side you were on.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 20:19 
User avatar

Joined: 31st Mar, 2008
Posts: 1883
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
whether or not Putin likes who's in charge in Ukraine gives him precisely fuck all right to invade the place

And I certainly never said he had any right. There's just no reason why he should care. And it's not like he's the first to invade a country because he didn't like who was in charge.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:18 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 14874
Location: Oxford
I think whenever there's a major international crisis I don't quite understand, I'm going to rely on Newsround. Their background piece from last month is brilliant.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/26257865


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:27 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 67403
Location: Your Mum
That was an excellent write-up. Newsround's ability to explain things well has been mentioned before.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:49 
User avatar
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Joined: 18th Apr, 2008
Posts: 11683
lasermink wrote:
I don't know why I even bother writing this, because the tone of the posts above suggests I will be pissing in the wind, but here goes nothing.

EU+USA have seemingly been pouring billions into Ukraine over several years, finally staging a coup against a democratically elected government, putting neonazis in charge in its place.

From a Russian point of view, Putin is simply drawing a line in the sand against western neocolonialism. At least he is doing so openly, instead of using all the covert bullshit tactics employed by the west (I'm not saying he wouldn't use those if he could, mind you). Personally I am a rather terrified by the one sided coverage all this is given in the western media.

I am not suggesting "he" is right and "we" are wrong, but maybe things are a tad more complicated than him being the evil overlord - at the very least I think blaming Putin alone for things coming to this is just a wee bit naive.

While I don't dispute what you have said here, I feel it is naive to consider that Putin has not influenced the Ukraine in a similar manner to the EU. He is influencing overtly now, but I think it is safe to say that he was influencing covertly beforehand.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 13:43 
User avatar

Joined: 31st Mar, 2008
Posts: 1883
Bobbyaro wrote:
lasermink wrote:
I don't know why I even bother writing this, because the tone of the posts above suggests I will be pissing in the wind, but here goes nothing.

EU+USA have seemingly been pouring billions into Ukraine over several years, finally staging a coup against a democratically elected government, putting neonazis in charge in its place.

From a Russian point of view, Putin is simply drawing a line in the sand against western neocolonialism. At least he is doing so openly, instead of using all the covert bullshit tactics employed by the west (I'm not saying he wouldn't use those if he could, mind you). Personally I am a rather terrified by the one sided coverage all this is given in the western media.

I am not suggesting "he" is right and "we" are wrong, but maybe things are a tad more complicated than him being the evil overlord - at the very least I think blaming Putin alone for things coming to this is just a wee bit naive.

While I don't dispute what you have said here, I feel it is naive to consider that Putin has not influenced the Ukraine in a similar manner to the EU. He is influencing overtly now, but I think it is safe to say that he was influencing covertly beforehand.

Oh, certainly, one way or another. He (or Russia in more general terms) has obviously had lots of supporters there to act on his behalf.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 13:53 
User avatar

Joined: 31st Mar, 2008
Posts: 1883
Possibly the overt vs covert note was another poor piece of wording on my behalf. Both sides have been pouring money into the country, and who's to say how it was spent and for what purpose. I was just trying to point out how all this looks to someone sitting in Moscow, senator McCain doing dealings with Svoboda and so on.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 18:53 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 45558
Location: West Yorkshire
Why shouldn't we help install a government we're more friendly with?

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:48 
User avatar

Joined: 31st Mar, 2008
Posts: 1883
I feel bad about my post, it was needlessly confrontational. Not really the way to try and enter into any sort of discussion. Apologies for any toes stepped on by my big, clumsy feet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:49 
User avatar
Can't re-member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 53773
Location: Liberty City
lasermink wrote:
I feel bad about my post, it was needlessly confrontational. Not really the way to try and enter into any sort of discussion. Apologies for any toes stepped on by my big, clumsy feet.

You should feel ashamed.

_________________
I am currently under construction.
Thank you for your patience.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:50 
User avatar
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Joined: 18th Apr, 2008
Posts: 11683
lasermink wrote:
I feel bad about my post, it was needlessly confrontational. Not really the way to try and enter into any sort of discussion. Apologies for any toes stepped on by my big, clumsy feet.

I think it is this post that is wrong! :P


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:51 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 15387
lasermink wrote:
I feel bad about my post, it was needlessly confrontational. Not really the way to try and enter into any sort of discussion. Apologies for any toes stepped on by my big, clumsy feet.

Whatever, Chamberlain.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 13:37 
SupaMod
User avatar
Commander-in-Cheese

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48202
markg wrote:
lasermink wrote:
I feel bad about my post, it was needlessly confrontational. Not really the way to try and enter into any sort of discussion. Apologies for any toes stepped on by my big, clumsy feet.

Whatever, Chamberlain.


:DD

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 18:35 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 14874
Location: Oxford
Looks like Putin is happy with his conquest is trying to calm things down, for now at least.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27072351

But I can't help feeling that things might flare up again. Still, Prince George, eh?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 19:44 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 15387
I still don't know what to make of Putin. I don't understand what his politics are about. I don't like the idea of any individual being so powerful as he is, though. It never seems to end well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:30 
User avatar
Sitting balls-back folder

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 9205
so by 'de-escalation' they mean that putin gets away with stealing the crimea unpunished, he just has to.promise not to steal any more bits of countries? Which was, as I understand it, oretty much how it worked already?

I'm sure he'll be good.for his word, I mean it's not like he tried to steal.Georgia the other year is it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:31 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 14874
Location: Oxford
Letting Putin take the Crimea is hardly likely to endear the Ukrainians to the West either.
I wonder if Putin is entering the final stages of his reign, and trying to make for himself a legacy as well as going slightly mad as he ages and his mental powers fade.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:36 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 45558
Location: West Yorkshire
You are so going to get poloniumed.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:55 
User avatar
Legendary Boogeyman

Joined: 22nd Dec, 2010
Posts: 8175
I am not reassured. I am getting 'Peace for our time' vibes about all this.

I went to Google Maps yesterday to see how it demarks Crimea. I wondered how long it would take before this Russian land-grab is recognised officially by anyone. The result is an impressive half-measure; the border of Crimea is a dashed line with no indication whether it's considered Ukraine or Russia.

_________________
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Pretty much everyone agrees with Gnomes, really, it's just some are too right on to admit it. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:18 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 14874
Location: Oxford
Putin's suggesting that unofficial referendums shouldn't go ahead
( http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/m ... -postponed ).

So, having made this annoucement, what's the betting that it goes ahead anyway, and when the result goes Russia's way Putin says, 'well, now you've said you want to join us, can't argue with that' then moves the tanks in?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:14 
User avatar
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 2568
ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
I am not reassured. I am getting 'Peace for our time' vibes about all this.

I went to Google Maps yesterday to see how it demarks Crimea. I wondered how long it would take before this Russian land-grab is recognised officially by anyone. The result is an impressive half-measure; the border of Crimea is a dashed line with no indication whether it's considered Ukraine or Russia.



I don't know if you're referring to this or not, but google maps changes the borders based on your locale.

_________________
This man is bound by law to clear the snow away


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 15:46 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 14874
Location: Oxford
So, NATO have said that Russia have clearly invaded, and Ukraine are considering joining the alliance. Putin, meanwhile, denies any involvement, as usual.

BBC link.

Feels still too calm here, even with the ongoing crises in the Middle East.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 19:11 
Excellent Member

Joined: 5th Dec, 2010
Posts: 3353
Nato and the others just sit and talk shit.

Plenty of country's including the UK have the appetite for War, problem is we don't have the money. Billions was pissed away in Iraq only to see a bigger bunch of nutters taking over

After 5 years of cuts, shit pay rises, tax increases, house prices, job losses etc The last thing the voters will stand for is Billions pissed away again fighting wars that are viewed as nothing to do with the UK.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:22 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 35698
Appetite for war? I seriously doubt there's even 10% of the public who'd openly support another all out war.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:01 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 45558
Location: West Yorkshire
DavPaz wrote:
Appetite for war? I seriously doubt there's even 10% of the public who'd openly support another all out war.


Not with Russia, but I firmly believe that something should be done about ISIS.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:03 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 67403
Location: Your Mum
Image
\
Bring it on



Yes, I'm going to continue making that joke

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:57 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 14874
Location: Oxford
Torn between viewing the defence secretary's warning of Russian sabre-rattling against the Baltic states as either an honest admission that things are more out of control than they have previously let on, or a pre-election ploy to remind voters that they're better off trusting the Tories on defence matters.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WW3 a go-go with topless Putin?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:59 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 45558
Location: West Yorkshire
Kern wrote:
Torn between viewing the defence secretary's warning of Russian sabre-rattling against the Baltic states as either an honest admission that things are more out of control than they have previously let on, or a pre-election ploy to remind voters that they're better off trusting the Tories on defence matters.


It is becoming some cause for concern especially as Kernow has been buzzed by bombers today.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], MaliA, Squirt, Vogons and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.